Discussion Sailing loot drop rates

Discussion in 'TLOPO Ships and Sailing' started by Eric Sailcutter, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Eric Sailcutter

Eric Sailcutter Pirate Lord

Has everyone noticed that the drop rate for skull chests has been increased since the last update? I've had loot runs 2 with 9 skull chests and 1 with 14 recently, that was unheard of in the last year. There is no question that things have changed.

Crashalot likes this.
  2. John Foulroberts

Admin

Loot drop rates were not affected in the latest update.

What you may be noticing is that you are able to replace loot chests in sailing loot now. That is the reasoning for the ability to accumulate a higher number of skull chests per run. This change was made in July with our 1.16.0 release.

3. Eric Sailcutter

No, I am aware of the summer change and that is not it and I sail quite a bit so if it is not true that the drop rates are changed then I have, starting on the day of the last update, been having an anomalous run of luck. Before the update and after the one that lowered the drop rate, which I didn't recall the date of, I have never had more than 7 skull chests in a run and that was hundreds of runs. You should check it out for yourself, I think you will find that it is much easier, on the order of twice as easy, to get skulls.

Crashalot likes this.
  4. Ben Phantomfox

Ben Phantomfox Honorable Pirate

Welp, this game is based on luck and RNG - maybe you've gotten a wave of luck lately! Just ask Mr. Jones about luck, he drinks Legendaries for every meal of his day.

JessieTT and Eric Sailcutter like this.
  5. Darkslinger

Darkslinger Notorious Pirate

yes something surely must have changed. I think it is the bugs yes

Crashalot likes this.
  6. Eric Sailcutter

Indeed, few sail more than I, it would be very difficult to imagine that this is the product of luck. On the first day it was brought up, are the drop rates different? I said 9 skulls is unusual but could be luck. Now it seems more than luck as it continues, check it out.

JessieTT and Crashalot like this.
  7. Darkslinger

Darkslinger Notorious Pirate

it is the product of luck, though. jfr explicitly stated that the drop rates were untouched. why would he say one thing and mean the other? it's purely luck.

8. Eric Sailcutter

Still seeming that it is more than luck, I got 9 skulls yesterday on a run... How is it that I went a year with no better than 7 skulls even though I tried hard to better that and since the last update I've had 3 with 9 and 1 with 14? It really seems to me something is different. Did you try it for yourself or are you just repeating what JFR says? Your eyes look just like mine, by the way, lol.

Crashalot likes this.
  9. Eric Sailcutter

Do you think the drop rate could have been changed without all the developers knowing?

Crashalot likes this.
  10. Ben Phantomfox

Ben Phantomfox Honorable Pirate

The loot rate has not been changed whatsoever. Something of that nature is impossible to happen. Having luck doesn't mean you won't ever get a plentiful bounty. Technically, you could get a legendary every single skull that drops. That's how RNG works.

11. DarkRose

DarkRose Wanted Pirate

@Eric Sailcutter wow that is a awesome number of skulls o.o lol. I want to join next time you sail lol. c:

12. Eric Sailcutter

It has been an inordinate amount. People's comments not withstanding, the trend is continuing. I work professionally in quality management and see random outliers every day. I have to recognize patterns that are representative of change as part of my job. I'm telling you, if this is random it is nothing like what I see everyday at work. The chance that I would get that much starting on the very day of an update and that bounty continuing as long as it has is astronomical, I agree that it is possible but I continue to reject the idea that I am on a roll of good luck. Every single full run I've done since the update has yielded more skulls than any full run in the entire year before the update.

Crashalot likes this.
  13. Crashalot

Crashalot Pirate Lord

Eric, you do not sail, ever. You are having a "moment" regarding loot. There is no uptick in sailing loot.
    Stop talking nonsense, lest some dev actually look into this non issue and try and fix it!

Eric Sailcutter likes this.
  14. Eric Sailcutter

What have you seen about this? Does the drop rate really seem normal to you?

Crashalot likes this.
  15. Crashalot

Crashalot Pirate Lord

I don't know what you are going on about Eric, lol, the loot rate is the same, and Remember this; Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. (Manchurian Candidate)...

In other words, if there was some sort of glitch and loot suddenly got a heck of a lot better, I wouldn't be asking around, raising suspicions and getting someone to "fix" it, lol!

Eric Sailcutter likes this.
  16. John Foulroberts

Admin

Heh, I think if this were the case, we'd be experiencing a bigger issue.

As I previously stated, I can confirm with 100% certainty that loot drop rates were not modified in the last update. The Hollowed Woods update was not an "actual" update (it was purely maintenance-related) that contained changes to the codebase either, hence why there were no release notes for it. Had it been an actual update, a change of this nature certainly would have been disclosed in our release notes. All changes are vetted through quality assurance in stages before they reach our production server.

My two cents.