Discussion Sailing loot drop rates

Eric Sailcutter

Pirate Lord
Has everyone noticed that the drop rate for skull chests has been increased since the last update? I've had loot runs 2 with 9 skull chests and 1 with 14 recently, that was unheard of in the last year. There is no question that things have changed.

Loot drop rates were not affected in the latest update.

What you may be noticing is that you are able to replace loot chests in sailing loot now. That is the reasoning for the ability to accumulate a higher number of skull chests per run. This change was made in July with our 1.16.0 release.
No, I am aware of the summer change and that is not it and I sail quite a bit so if it is not true that the drop rates are changed then I have, starting on the day of the last update, been having an anomalous run of luck. Before the update and after the one that lowered the drop rate, which I didn't recall the date of, I have never had more than 7 skull chests in a run and that was hundreds of runs. You should check it out for yourself, I think you will find that it is much easier, on the order of twice as easy, to get skulls.

No, I am aware of the summer change and that is not it and I sail quite a bit so if it is not true that the drop rates are changed then I have, starting on the day of the last update, been having an anomalous run of luck. Before the update and after the one that lowered the drop rate, which I didn't recall the date of, I have never had more than 7 skull chests in a run and that was hundreds of runs. You should check it out for yourself, I think you will find that it is much easier, on the order of twice as easy, to get skulls.
Welp, this game is based on luck and RNG - maybe you've gotten a wave of luck lately! Just ask Mr. Jones about luck, he drinks Legendaries for every meal of his day.

Welp, this game is based on luck and RNG - maybe you've gotten a wave of luck lately! Just ask Mr. Jones about luck, he drinks Legendaries for every meal of his day.
Indeed, few sail more than I, it would be very difficult to imagine that this is the product of luck. On the first day it was brought up, are the drop rates different? I said 9 skulls is unusual but could be luck. Now it seems more than luck as it continues, check it out.

Indeed, few sail more than I, it would be very difficult to imagine that this is the product of luck. On the first day it was brought up, are the drop rates different? I said 9 skulls is unusual but could be luck. Now it seems more than luck as it continues, check it out.
it is the product of luck, though. jfr explicitly stated that the drop rates were untouched. why would he say one thing and mean the other? it's purely luck.

it is the product of luck, though. jfr explicitly stated that the drop rates were untouched. why would he say one thing and mean the other? it's purely luck.
Still seeming that it is more than luck, I got 9 skulls yesterday on a run... How is it that I went a year with no better than 7 skulls even though I tried hard to better that and since the last update I've had 3 with 9 and 1 with 14? It really seems to me something is different. Did you try it for yourself or are you just repeating what JFR says? Your eyes look just like mine, by the way, lol.

Do you think the drop rate could have been changed without all the developers knowing?
The loot rate has not been changed whatsoever. Something of that nature is impossible to happen. Having luck doesn't mean you won't ever get a plentiful bounty. Technically, you could get a legendary every single skull that drops. That's how RNG works.

@Eric Sailcutter wow that is a awesome number of skulls o.o lol. I want to join next time you sail lol. c:
It has been an inordinate amount. People's comments not withstanding, the trend is continuing. I work professionally in quality management and see random outliers every day. I have to recognize patterns that are representative of change as part of my job. I'm telling you, if this is random it is nothing like what I see everyday at work. The chance that I would get that much starting on the very day of an update and that bounty continuing as long as it has is astronomical, I agree that it is possible but I continue to reject the idea that I am on a roll of good luck. Every single full run I've done since the update has yielded more skulls than any full run in the entire year before the update.

Eric, you do not sail, ever. You are having a "moment" regarding loot. There is no uptick in sailing loot.
Stop talking nonsense, lest some dev actually look into this non issue and try and fix it!

What have you seen about this? Does the drop rate really seem normal to you?
I don't know what you are going on about Eric, lol, the loot rate is the same, and Remember this; Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life. (Manchurian Candidate)...

In other words, if there was some sort of glitch and loot suddenly got a heck of a lot better, I wouldn't be asking around, raising suspicions and getting someone to "fix" it, lol!

Do you think the drop rate could have been changed without all the developers knowing?
Heh, I think if this were the case, we'd be experiencing a bigger issue.

As I previously stated, I can confirm with 100% certainty that loot drop rates were not modified in the last update. The Hollowed Woods update was not an "actual" update (it was purely maintenance-related) that contained changes to the codebase either, hence why there were no release notes for it. Had it been an actual update, a change of this nature certainly would have been disclosed in our release notes. All changes are vetted through quality assurance in stages before they reach our production server.

My two cents.

Something I've noticed in the past week is not only skulls becoming more common when more of your crew has treasure sense on, but the quality of loot has been increasing inside those chests. On monday my guild had a sailing event and each time we docked we had multiple skull chests and everyone got famed items each time, including one who got Lost Sword. Something's different and I'm not quite sure what...

I think a better question is, why when I port with say... 4 skulls.. why is only one showing up on my loot page? It doesn't happen all the time but I feel like I'm getting jipped lol.
Oh, trust me, this be happenin all the time!!!
No updates fix it so far :(

Back