Discussion Sailing needs some sort of rework

Bort Greasegorb

Pirate Lord
Level 50 Level 13 sailor playing since the beginning of beta here. I think that we're too jaded to realize just how tedious sailing is. I don't know if that it's still being worked on, but leveling sailing up is horrendously slow, especially since there's no actual level-up method to it like there is with all the weapon skills. If you just try sinking random ships, no matter what level you are, turbo-fast level 50 ships with about four times the hull of a Juggernaut come for you after you after you get a full haul.
If you bring cannoneers to fend off these hunters (and later warships, which can one-shot any ship with one slip of the steering wheel), you run the risk of losing all your rep to them as they can fire at any time while you have to wait 20 seconds for a broadside which has a 50% chance of even hitting.
From a loot standpoint, hunters and warships aside, ships have a 75% chance of just dropping cargo crates and nothing else, making it inferior to simply looting on land or fishing. At least in potions, you're not in a dangerous position all the time and you're aware you're getting no loot. I'm not meaning to post this as a rage thread, but I feel like sailing could be both faster and easier to level. Is it just me who hates sailing or does it always get tedious and boring trying to level up this skill?
Again, this isn't just an excuse for me to vent, I'm just wondering if it's time we update a seemingly slow game mechanic from 2007.

Correct me if I'm wrong sailing is still being worked on. I know that it's very hard to level it was a nightmare for me getting to lvl 15 sailing just so that I could buy a war brig. I agree with you on the face that pretty much every form of looting is better than sailing (unless you get lucky and get out with a mat run and a lot of gold). You can always upgrade the treasure sense skill on sailing to have a better chance of getting good cargo. I almost always go out with a big crew when I go sailing and it isn't that hard when you have a big crew shooting and repairing. I personally don't think sailing is too hard to level to the point that it should be changed. But I like to have a challenge (it gives you more relief and is more rewarding that way).

I see your argument and I feel like I would be picking on all your posts if I said otherwise ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong sailing is still being worked on. I know that it's very hard to level it was a nightmare for me getting to lvl 15 sailing just so that I could buy a war brig. I agree with you on the face that pretty much every form of looting is better than sailing (unless you get lucky and get out with a mat run and a lot of gold). You can always upgrade the treasure sense skill on sailing to have a better chance of getting good cargo. I almost always go out with a big crew when I go sailing and it isn't that hard when you have a big crew shooting and repairing. I personally don't think sailing is too hard to level to the point that it should be changed. But I like to have a challenge (it gives you more relief and is more rewarding that way).

I see your argument and I feel like I would be picking on all your posts if I said otherwise ;)
Honestly, the loot is the least of the problem. Plus, when you don't have a war-class ship with upgrades, you usually don't get a crew. And even then, they expect a picture-perfect material run which I can't do. It just seems impossible to level sailing up with hunters around.

IMO, the best way to level up sailing right now, is to get in a light sloop and sink ships around Tormenta. You get around 100 exp. per ship and they can only hit your sails, not your hull.

IMO, the best way to level up sailing right now, is to get in a light sloop and sink ships around Tormenta. You get around 100 exp. per ship and they can only hit your sails, not your hull.
Good thing I kept my light sloop around then. Does this mean getting close to them, since letting the cannonballs drift in the air would get them lower and probably end up hitting my hull.

Good thing I kept my light sloop around then. Does this mean getting close to them, since letting the cannonballs drift in the air would get them lower and probably end up hitting my hull.
I always stay close to prevent all of my 3 broadsides missing... And while you wait for your broadsides to reload, just fire away with the cannon. This way you level both at the same time :).

I always stay close to prevent all of my 3 broadsides missing... And while you wait for your broadsides to reload, just fire away with the cannon. This way you level both at the same time :).
xD Cheaters

Sinking undead ships does not contribute to bounty hunter level, however they may appear regardless once you are at or near full loot (since this is also an internal cue to summon bounty hunters).

So if you are looking to go with avoiding bounty hunters, I'd recommend undead ships, although they do a decent amount of damage. It might be better to not take a light sloop in this case ;)

Sinking undead ships does not contribute to bounty hunter level, however they may appear regardless once you are at or near full loot (since this is also an internal cue to summon bounty hunters).

So if you are looking to go with avoiding bounty hunters, I'd recommend undead ships, although they do a decent amount of damage. It might be better to not take a light sloop in this case ;)
Forgot about that. Not a fan of dealing with those, but I'll give that a spin, too. Thanks for the help, I've still got double rep left over and I'm edging in on level 14.

The whole leveling system needs an overhaul IMO. A system based on solely hits on a target is incredibly flawed. That means it is actually in your best interest to use the lowest level weapons, skills, etc to get the most rep from the enemy. Sailing is even more tedious as your attacks are on constant cooldown and you usually only get one attack off before your crewmates sink the ship. The whole system needs an overhaul.

Aye, I recommend going to an island with a lot of undead ships around it, sinking undead ships until you are full, port, and go back out. Just be wary of what kind of ships you attack. I recommend avoiding storm reapers and death omens, go for black harbingers and revs and phantoms. the lightning bolt broadside from storm reapers and death omens are the things of nightmares, they do a TON of damage.

The whole leveling system needs an overhaul IMO. A system based on solely hits on a target is incredibly flawed. That means it is actually in your best interest to use the lowest level weapons, skills, etc to get the most rep from the enemy. Sailing is even more tedious as your attacks are on constant cooldown and you usually only get one attack off before your crewmates sink the ship. The whole system needs an overhaul.

So you are saying that if I use a rusty sabre I'll get a ton of exp.?

59636155.jpg

We're not in the habit of talking about anything we do or do not have planned, but I can assure you we're listening to suggestions closely, so if you think it sucks then you're free to make some suggestions.

Also, https://tlopo.com/help/terms/

"All changes from the original (with few exceptions), whether it be adding unreleased content, re-adding content/features which were once a part of the game and later removed, or creating brand new content & features will all be handled after our "full" release as a post-closure community server (after alpha and beta stages)."

Our first and major priority is recreating the original, we'll handle the other stuff later on. If sailing loot is having bugs with it or is not correct, please report it in the proper fashions so we can look into it and fix it, thank you.

So you are saying that if I use a rusty sabre I'll get a ton of exp.?

59636155.jpg
There is a maximum cap to the amount of experience you can get. I believe it is base capped at 115 rep + any bonuses you may be receiving (crew bonuses, double xp, etc.) Theoretically you could get a 550%bonus through the use of Jack's Brew, and a maximum crew bonus (I may be wrong but a double xp bonus may also stack but I think it is applied before the 550% bonus). But Jack's Brew is rarely released, only released by redemption code on POTCO twice if I remember right.

There is a maximum cap to the amount of experience you can get. I believe it is base capped at 115 rep + any bonuses you may be receiving (crew bonuses, double xp, etc.) Theoretically you could get a 550%bonus through the use of Jack's Brew, and a maximum crew bonus (I may be wrong but a double xp bonus may also stack but I think it is applied before the 550% bonus). But Jack's Brew is rarely released, only released by redemption code on POTCO twice if I remember right.
If Jack's Brew were available from getting to level 20 in potions, perhaps I'd have more drive to level that. Maybe not a half bad thought to add that.

This is not necessarily true. While you may get more xp per kill if you use lower level items, you will get kills significantly slower. It's like this - if I can get gas that will allow me to drive 25 miles/gallon but costs $5.00/gallon, it's not really any more fuel efficient than if I use gas that gets me 15 miles/gallon but costs $3.00/gallon, because after driving 75 miles I'll still have spent $15 on that gas. This is why leveling with grenades isn't always unbearably slow despite the low amount of hits per kill - you get a higher quantity of enemies defeated, so while your xp/kill goes down, your amount of kills goes up due to the high damage of the grenade as well as its AoE type damage. It is also what makes leveling with broadswords go so quickly - you get pretty good marks in all the categories. High damage, high amounts of hits/kill, and AoE damage so a high amount of kills overall.

As for sailing leveling slowly, I would agree that it's not the quickest thing to level. However, personally, I think that it balances out at least a little. You see, when you're on land, your rep is split between 6 different weapon types - or if it's not, then for every weapon you're not using, you're not gaining any levels for that weapon, which still hurts you in the long run. And while land combat is arguably most of the game's content, or at least 50% of it, the other huge chunk of content is purely sea combat. Sea combat is split into just two weapon classes, sailing and cannon. So you may be leveling individual weapons pretty quickly in comparison to sailing, but leveling the 6 weapons overall will happen at a pretty comparable speed to leveling sailing and cannon. Still, though, sailing does level much slower than cannon, for sure, as cannon can get in tons more hits than sailing. I'm not sure if your sailing rep is affected by anything more than broadsides and the type of ship you sink, though, so other skills might also play into it unless someone can confirm they do not. But in my mind the major inequality is mostly the difference between the leveling speeds of cannon and sailing, not sailing and land combat skills.

Hope all that made sense.

Last edited:
That'd cut out a vast majority of the leveling, and would imbalance a lot of things. 575 rep per kill roughly is a tad nuts.
I agree with Johnny Telltale on this stuff it really isn't that hard to level guys.... You're kinda going overboard with the whole 500+ rep thing..

I don't know why people think this game is so hard.... Obviously none of you have played Ocarina of Time ......
Water Temple.......

Back