Discussion Sailor Stories

hallagram

Sea Legs
As I have been grinding sailing, I realized many amazing things, such as how you can avoid almost any cannon with a light sloop, and easily kill level 40 ships without them ever being able to hit you. As of now I have a brig, saving up for a war brig currently (only 60k off btw) and I also am still level 10 sailing as I have only been grinding it for like a week.

Since I am only fighting ships solo with no cannoneers I have figured out ways to fight high level ships, and with no people to help you, fighting level 40's is only possible in a couple of ways. My first way, is that you can sit directly in front of war frigates/galleons and they can't hit you if you are far away, hitting them with your right and left broadside as you to the left and right keeping them in front of you while also keeping your distance. With this however, the enemies can hit you if you get close to them. War frigates also contain a large front cannon so you have to sit about halfway between max range and being right next to them.

Additionally, when ships that are high level have a side that is broken or flaming, they will juke in some very random directions, which makes it incredibly hard to hit them, this becomes an excessive chore when all your broadsides go in one way, but there are tricks to getting around this. In addition, there are also some hilarious things about the ships juking your cannons and if the enemy ships are close to you, your camera can glitch out and make amazing funny moments, in some moments going through the ocean, letting you see every ship in the sea if you are close to them while they juke.

The best part of this juke though, is if you are super skilled, you can turn as you shoot the broadside and when predicting correctly it can make your broadsides literally move, as there is a bit of lag as you turn and shoot. Turning and shooting in this case, is really the only way you can make all of your broadsides hit.

One time however, I wanted to shoot close, as max range shooting solo takes an intense amount of work and patience. I made the mistake of getting too close, got stuck going into cutthroat island, and got hit by three rounds of explosives from a dreadnought and instantly died. This is why usually, unless you are started out and the navy/eitc don't notice you, you never want to get too close, or be next to them in any capacity without juking. Side note explosives are a reason never to get close to ships, they do one third of your health on a brig, and go in extremely random directions.

Today, I made the incredible mistake of pillaging while a war sloop was on my tail. I shot the cannons quickly making swift movements in order to get the french scourge in my reaches. I was testing how well a doll makes it able to solo a whole ship, (btw it works well no matter what the level, you just run around in circles while killing them.) While I was doing this, I thought my ship was immune, turns out the war sloop was still destroying me, and my ship fell in battle while I was on the other ship. Instead of realizing this and porting, or instead my pirate killing the ship, my ship dying, and my pirate knowing how to swim back to shore, I was sent to jail.

While being my second death ever, it was a great learning experience, and while probably everyone knows this, it may help someone. I would love to hear your sailing experiences too, any tips for grinding, any suggestions for why eitc and navy are wayyyyy easier than skeleton ships, and every other experience you can think of. My ways of grinding aren't perfect and I would love the help.

Also any suggestions for finding the 40 eitc ships needed to get the sailing for lore quest, sea vipers, marauders, corvettes, been looking for a while and would like to know what is the best place to find them/what islands do they encircle. Thanks and please post your sailing experiences so that all pirates can learn or have a laugh.

P.S I want to post tons of threads over my time on these forums let me know if they should be double spaced or easier to read

It's been a long time now since I've grinded sailing on generic ship enemies. I sink all of them with a single broadside now, even without open fire. So most of my recent experiences involve developing strategies for dealing with hunters.

For this to work, I'd recommend having a good turning radius. I do this on skull and bones and with level 4 tacking. If the hunter is traveling in the same direction as you and also turning in the same direction, you can do what I like to call "trapped in a loop." Here...I'll even make some terrible MS paint picture to show what I'm talking about.

LoopTrap.png

Sadly, it doesn't work too well in groups because people are always breaking your loop. Another tip: If the enemy ship does turn the other way, you can still trap it by switching sides. That's if you don't mind being a little uncourteous to your gunners.

Skeleton ships being seemingly harder is mainly due to how the hull is shaped, and the fact that the front mast is positioned so low that it must be broken before any rounds can make it through. You see, if a cannonball hits the deck of a ship, it does no damage. It must hit the side of the hull. Skeleton ships have such a thin side, and it can be hard to aim at. They also carry thunderbolt and fury. So the damage is quite high as well.

There's a little bug in the game right now. I don't know when it'll get fixed. Enemy ship damage is calculated based off the player ship's owner's cannon skills. For example, if you put points into fury and thunderbolt, skeleton ship broadsides are going to hurt bad. As for me, battle-royale and scorned siren hit like a truck with their explosives because mine are maxed. Do be aware of that.

Last edited:
Wow, way to start it off strong! Also, I love how I got pretty much one shot by a generic enemy, didn't repair one of my sides, and it got smashed; but you are able to one shot generic enemies. Thanks for the awesome tip about tacking, as well as turning, leveled my speed to 5, might be a stupid move idk, but will definitely level tacking at least up to 4. Also, while I don't think this works as well on generic enemies, mostly because they don't turn at all as it is, I will most certainly try it. However, I immediately realized this works wonders on hunters as their speed is intense and they follow you around, constantly matching your speed in many cases. When the memory bug wasn't fixed this was shown in the form of them teleporting around the map. Also, side note if you really are that laggy, they keep teleporting, but if you deal damage to the ship where it was it still counts as damage LOL. Also thanks so much for the picture idea, I really should have used that to explain a strategy, to those who want to level 1-15 without taking damage or at worst dying when going solo.

i love life.png

This probably wouldn't work for hunters/ship of the line/whatever you grind at a high level because they move wayyy too much for this to be ever a strong tactic to use against them. Also this sucks for gunners but this was more of a use for how to never get hit and avoid stuff while being a solo sailor. Obviously with guns you just stay outside the range of explosives sit next to them and one shot.
That's true about the mast, and also their parts take longer to kill as well as your broadsides deal less physical damage than to a navy ship, though they are at the same level. I guess that was something that I always thought was dumb, yet also cool, giving the skeleton ships an air of caution around them.
In addition, that glitch is hilarious thanks so much for posting it, I will make sure to level my cannon, yet not put skill points into anything until I have a crew and guild on deck at all times :)
Also, small question, I saw a post on here that said that bounty hunters will follow pirates consistently trying to blow their ship into the bottom of the ocean. Is this at all true? I have killed these ships before, admittedly it takes a while, but that was just for sport, not because they were actually trying to hunt me down. Even with full cargo, I have never seen a bounty hunter try to wreck my ship, and I have filled it up with a lot of emerald :)
More on glitches though, I am in the process of relogging right now, but I set sail in port royal, teleported to Padres, and couldn't find my brig in the shipyard LOL, I port back to Port Royal, and my ship still isn't there :/. I'm sure it will be fixed by relog though, just a small tidbit. Thanks for the great response I loved hearing it!

Yeah that's the exact same thing I used to do back when one broadside wasn't enough. Good to know another strategist and outside-of-box thinker is out there. And you're right, the loop only works on hunters/warships.

Oh and yes, hunters will follow you everywhere. Porting is the only option. After you port, they switch targets and go after another pirate with a high enough bounty. That's why they break the sound barrier after turning around.

Back