Sea of Thieves MMORPG 2016

An awesome recap of all the recently released information...

Love this recap but, I don't like the "memorable" (word) connotation Rare has tried to pan SOT off as (in comparing/contrasting this adventure with what a MMO actually is).

Simply put, a true and genuine pirate's world :flag: should include as many pirates as possible within that world/environment because that is what most defines/attracts the (piracy) lifestyle. :eek: That lifestyle is achieved only through massive numbers of people (and not sporadic 'cliquish' groups here or there). It's really too bad that both Disney and Rare cannot understand this. *Still, this game has won my belief over...that for some of ye pirates...the online world is not completely lost!

Any released date yet?
There are no set dates yet, although I believe they're aiming for early 2017. They just announced yesterday that they held an internal alpha testing session. Some form of beta is expected to be released this year, though.

They posted a round-up of information that was released during September. You can read that here.

There are no set dates yet, although I believe they're aiming for early 2017. They just announced yesterday that they held an internal alpha testing session. Some form of beta is expected to be released this year, though.

They posted a round-up of information that was released during September. You can read that here.
Thanks for the info thought they where going to release in late 2016

Has there been any actual gameplay videos released yet? Instead of overly cinematic trailer type of videos? Like the game looks amazing... but how is it going to play? How are the quests and objectives structured? How is melee battle? what do we battle? It worries me that this kind of stuff has been left out of any trailers thus far (At least from what I know, I could have missed something entirely). Makes me feel like it will turn out to be a very empty game with minimal very redundant gameplay features.

Has there been any actual game play videos released yet? Instead of overly cinematic trailer type of videos? Like the game looks amazing... but how is it going to play? How are the quests and objectives structured? How is melee battle? what do we battle? It worries me that this kind of stuff has been left out of any trailers thus far (At least from what I know, I could have missed something entirely). Makes me feel like it will turn out to be a very empty game with minimal very redundant game play features.

There has been some gameplay, but not much, and it doesn't go into a lot of detail either. Just search for it.

Has there been any actual gameplay videos released yet? Instead of overly cinematic trailer type of videos? Like the game looks amazing... but how is it going to play? How are the quests and objectives structured? How is melee battle? what do we battle? It worries me that this kind of stuff has been left out of any trailers thus far (At least from what I know, I could have missed something entirely). Makes me feel like it will turn out to be a very empty game with minimal very redundant gameplay features.
The above is the official game-play video.

It features a build of the game that has been available for demo at multiple gaming expos such as E3, etc. This build of the game focuses completely on the sea-fearing aspects of the game, and ship PvP. This build is the only gameplay we've seen thus far.

We know there will be more to the game (they've said so), but they've been very secretive about the rest of the content. I hope we get more gameplay or details soon. With a public (but still possibly closed) beta expected before the end of the year, I assume they'd want to slowly reveal more.​

Last edited:
I've been following SoT's for a while now. Looks neat but... it is meant for several friends to be able to set sail. Not necessarily a one player game like TLOPO. One person in the crows nest to help steer, one steering the ship, everyone hoisting the anchor, several on cannons and several repairing. They say its not a typical MMO, where as they want each experience unique, meaning chances you'll run into everyone you know are slim. Graphics look good but game is still the process of being developed. It is for both PC and Xbox One by Microsoft. Not sure if I'd buy it right away but always something else piratey :)

I've been following SoT's for a while now. Looks neat but... it is meant for several friends to be able to set sail. Not necessarily a one player game like TLOPO. One person in the crows nest to help steer, one steering the ship, everyone hoisting the anchor, several on cannons and several repairing. They say its not a typical MMO, where as they want each experience unique, meaning chances you'll run into everyone you know are slim. Graphics look good but game is still the process of being developed. It is for both PC and Xbox One by Microsoft. Not sure if I'd buy it right away but always something else piratey :)
But TLOPO isn't one player, it's multiplayer. It looks fun but alas, as a mac user who refuses to use windows programs on my laptop I will never get to play it. I just have to be patient for TLOPO to reopen.

Currently they're only planning to support Xbox One and Windows 10. It's being marketed as an "exclusive."

The company developing the game is parented by Microsoft, so I'm not sure about the possibility of a Mac version.
Thanks for answering my question Bobby. It's too bad they aren't making a mac version, looks like fun.

They're planning on including a whole bunch of different ships, including small ones for single players or two crew.

But TLOPO isn't one player, it's multiplayer. It looks fun but alas, as a mac user who refuses to use windows programs on my laptop I will never get to play it. I just have to be patient for TLOPO to reopen.
You can sail a ship on your own in tlopo. It doesn't look like you can sail a ship on your own in SoT's, not without the help of others.

Back