Sea of Thieves MMORPG 2016

i've seen MC in the windows store, and i know it's available to play on the pc and console yet it's not mandated to be played solely on W10.
i was wondering if you or anyone else might know what W10 has to offer in gaming which could warrant SOT (or any game really) to be a W10 exclusive.
I believe it may be part of Microsoft's desire for W10 to become the universal operating system. They seem to be cutting support for previous version rather quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a marketing strategy.

It could be that, I don't know enough about the technicalities to know if Win 10 games can't be played on any previous windows os, on the game website it just says windows, so it may well be playable on most versions, I don't even know if it's even possible to make it exclusively windows 10.

If you scroll down the bottom of this page, you can see the icons https://www.seaofthieves.com/

aye. i noticed. it just seemed that 10 was the focus most ppl were reporting on.
i havent seen much difference between the last Windows and this one. for a moment i thought the specs might have been outrageously different.
might very well be that bobby's on it and the powers that be are just making all walks of life upgrade.

aye. i noticed. it just seemed that 10 was the focus most ppl were reporting on.
i havent seen much difference between the last Windows and this one. for a moment i thought the specs might have been outrageously different.
might very well be that bobby's on it and the powers that be are just making all walks of life upgrade.
Win 10 has DX 12, AKA DirectX 12. This is the drivers that runs the graphics, to sum it up. Only Win 10 and the Xbox 1 have it.
Aye, @Joshua Daggerfire.

If you have Win 7 or Win 8, the article below provides a fairly decent comparison between those two operating systems with Win 10 (just 'skip' past the default ad page which initially pulls up):
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...-windows-7-whats-the-difference/#135a62995dd2

...I guess the point is that it's not a company which is short of money or incentive to produce a good game.
A (closure) announcement given today concerning Microsoft Studios' "Fable Legends" game:
https://news.xbox.com/2016/03/07/microsoft-studios-changes-uk-denmark/

The unfortunate closure of this game though is a bit of great news for SOT because within today's (Microsoft) announcement, SOT was mentioned by name giving the game itself significant priority in so far as Microsoft Studios & Rare is concerned. Why is that important? Because it gives SOT incredible leverage & validity as a project deemed worthy of attention & funding.

From the article link shared above:
"These changes are taking effect as Microsoft Studios continues to focus its investment and development on the games and franchises that fans find most exciting and want to play.

I speak for all of Xbox when I say that despite this news, we remain committed to the development communities in the UK and Europe, and Xbox will continue to support new IP and originality in the games we offer on our platforms, whether they’re AAA blockbusters like Quantum Break from Remedy, adventurous new IPs like Sea of Thieves from Rare, or unique new creations from independent developers like Moon Studios with Ori."

Sea of Thieves will be a 'multiplayer adventure game' is how it has been described in various reports. How 'massively' multiplayer this is, remains to be seen, it could be servers containing limited numbers of players or it could be one huge open world. We don't know yet.

It will be players, playing together, sailing ships, fighting, looting, plundering and all the things pirates love to do.
There is also a lot of vague suggestions about some way in which players can craft their own story within the game, lots of player choices this sounds like.

This is about the most recent description of actual gameplay and it definitely is multiplayer.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rares-xbox-one-pirate-game-sea-of-thieves-gets-new/1100-6434271/

Sea of Thieves will be a 'multiplayer adventure game' is how it has been described in various reports. How 'massively' multiplayer this is, remains to be seen, it could be servers containing limited numbers of players or it could be one huge open world. We don't know yet.

It will be players, playing together, sailing ships, fighting, looting, plundering and all the things pirates love to do.
There is also a lot of vague suggestions about some way in which players can craft their own story within the game, lots of player choices this sounds like.

This is about the most recent description of actual gameplay and it definitely is multiplayer.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rares-xbox-one-pirate-game-sea-of-thieves-gets-new/1100-6434271/
Thanks Kat, That's a great article. Very interesting. I don't have an xbox so hopefully they will give the option to play it on a mac one day.

Thanks Kat, That's a great article. Very interesting. I don't have an xbox so hopefully they will give the option to play it on a mac one day.
For this game, that will never happen due to the fact they wont make a OpenGL compatible version. The only way to play this on PC is if you have a DX12 compatible pc, which only Win 10 supports

For this game, that will never happen due to the fact they wont make a OpenGL compatible version. The only way to play this on PC is if you have a DX12 compatible pc, which only Win 10 supports
Ok. Thanks for responding Josh. I'll never buy a PC so I guess I'll never play unless I get an xbox.

Sea of Thieves won't be an MMO though right? Just a game that can be played on xbox, etc?
Ok. Thanks for responding Josh. I'll never buy a PC so I guess I'll never play unless I get an xbox.
I have noticed today on the official Sea of Thieves website that some cosmetic changes have been made beyond the main page. (More or less, just the design & look itself has changed). However, perhaps some of your questions could sufficiently be answered there - Kelly (in relationship to those inquiries you did mention above). :)

I recommend everyone taking a peek if ye do have the time, me mateys ~ https://www.seaofthieves.com/ (subscribe on the site itself to receive free SOT 'updates')

I have noticed today on the official Sea of Thieves website that some cosmetic changes have been made beyond the main page. (More or less, just the design & look itself has changed). However, perhaps some of your questions could sufficiently be answered there - Kelly (in relationship to those inquiries you did mention above). :)

I recommend everyone taking a peek if ye do have the time, me mateys ~ https://www.seaofthieves.com/ (subscribe on the site itself to receive free SOT 'updates')
Hmm, nice catch! Hopefully these changes mean there will be more to come soon.

It doesn't say if they will add a mac version so I emailed them about it from their contact page.
This game is backed by Microsoft, so I wouldn't expect there to be a Mac version. I'm a PC person, so I don't know if Windows 10 can be run on a Mac and otherwise have all the support needed to run SoT (DX12, etc(?)). If not, your options are a) already own/buy a PC with Windows 10, b) upgrade your perfectly good Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10, c), already own an Xbone with live account, d) buy an Xbone, or e) get a live account for your new/existing Xbone so you can play online.

If any Mac folks have additional info, please let us know. Thanks!!

Back