Sea of Thieves MMORPG 2016

This article details one players hands-on experience with Sea of Thieves! Definitely worth reading at this point in time.

https://rarefriends.net/2016/06/13/hands-on-with-sea-of-thieves/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's some interesting Q & A with the author of the article:

Q: What percentage felt instanced for pre-beta and what felt "truly free/open?"

A: It was 100% free/open. Each crew was spawned on a different island and could literally do whatever they wanted from the get-go.

Q: Did you experience loading screens? If so, where / between what?

A: The game was already booted when we began each session, so no word on starting load times; the only other time there was any hint of a load screen was between drowning and respawning. In my memory it was just a couple of seconds. In the demo we played, we always respawned on our home island

Q: Was there money / wearables? I saw you mentioned planks in inventory...

A: There was no money or wearables in the version we played. Our inventory came with grog and planks, and I think that was it. We had infinite planks and the cannons had infinite ammo, but I don't know that that will necessarily be the case in the final version. We simply don't know yet.

Q: Are there social structures in place?

A: As of the demo there was no real structure in place for anything. That said, I'm not sure if you mean like ship crew hierarchy or rules of engaging other players? Or something else? If you can elaborate I can try to as well to the best of my abilities!

Q: Was there ship "ownership" in at least some sense?

A: Again in our demo, ship ownership was sort of implied but not outright stated. Our crew always spawned with a ship nearby. Other crews could take it if they wished. But since there was no hand-to-hand combat and we had infinite health (minus drowning), there wasn't much one crew could do to overtake someone else's ship. This demo was very heavily focused on exploration and ship combat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Christofosho

It's been found that in the latest gameplay video players were in fact put into instance-based sessions in a pre-beta environment. Sea-faring activities seemed to be the main (and only) subject in these instances. A lot of information is still unknown.

Last edited:
This article details one players hands-on experience with Sea of Thieves! Definitely worth reading at this point in time.

Here's some interesting Q & A with the author of the article:

Q: What percentage felt instanced for pre-beta and what felt "truly free/open?"

A: It was 100% free/open. Each crew was spawned on a different island and could literally do whatever they wanted from the get-go.

Q: Did you experience loading screens? If so, where / between what?

A: The game was already booted when we began each session, so no word on starting load times; the only other time there was any hint of a load screen was between drowning and respawning. In my memory it was just a couple of seconds. In the demo we played, we always respawned on our home island

Q: Was there money / wearables? I saw you mentioned planks in inventory...

A: There was no money or wearables in the version we played. Our inventory came with grog and planks, and I think that was it. We had infinite planks and the cannons had infinite ammo, but I don't know that that will necessarily be the case in the final version. We simply don't know yet.

Q: Are there social structures in place?

A: As of the demo there was no real structure in place for anything. That said, I'm not sure if you mean like ship crew hierarchy or rules of engaging other players? Or something else? If you can elaborate I can try to as well to the best of my abilities!

Q: Was there ship "ownership" in at least some sense?

A: Again in our demo, ship ownership was sort of implied but not outright stated. Our crew always spawned with a ship nearby. Other crews could take it if they wished. But since there was no hand-to-hand combat and we had infinite health (minus drowning), there wasn't much one crew could do to overtake someone else's ship. This demo was very heavily focused on exploration and ship combat.

@Christofosho

It's been found that in the latest gameplay video players were in fact put into instance-based sessions in a pre-beta environment. Sea-faring activities seemed to be the main (and only) subject in these instances. A lot of information is still unknown.

Seems like it could be expanded to be more potco-esque, but that they decided to keep it more focused for now?

Seems like it could be expanded to be more potco-esque, but that they decided to keep it more focused for now?
That seems like the plan to me. Land combat as been hinted at more than once, so I believe they're only playing their biggest and best cards right now to peak interest. Will be interesting to see how they persue further development/testing techniques.

One of their executive producer spoke in an interview yesterday emphasizing how important it is to them to "get it [the game] into player's hands as early as possible" and "getting real players into our game as early as we can and a lot earlier than we've ever done before." So maybe there's hope for an alpha/beta stage on the horizon? ;)

it's kinda hard not being a " "smarty" ", aint it. have they attached a forums to the site now or are ppl resorting to converse/complain/whatnot to their twitter and fb pages?

Last edited:
it's kinda hard not being a " "smarty" ", aint it. have they attached a forums to the site now or are ppl resorting to converse/complain/whatnot to their twitter and fb pages?
yes they just announced one

Sea of Thieves just announced an official forum!

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum

I haven't been there yet myself, but will be checking it out when there is more info on the gameplay. I'm not into the "instance" type of world, I prefer a MMO, as you know. Crossing my fingers they migrate that way.

I'm not into the "instance" type of world, I prefer a MMO, as you know. Crossing my fingers they migrate that way.

pardon my ignorance but i've slept for a LONG time lol i thought SoT 'WAS' a mmo.

what's this "instance" schtuff?

pardon my ignorance but i've slept for a LONG time lol i thought SoT 'WAS' a mmo.

what's this "instance" schtuff?

Not an MMO, it's more like they drop you and 9 other people in a battle and you fight it out sort of thing. I'm not sure if you can crew up with friends to do it, that's what I'm waiting to see. First person shooter games, like Call of Duty, don't allow you to pick who is on your team, you are placed with randomes (correct me if Im wrong someone) Other games, like League of Legends, you can choose your team to fight with, and may get a random if you dont have a full team.

If someone can explain that better, please do.

Oooooh. so it IS like the "instance" from lotro or raid sys. or like SMITE but w/o the arena? just boats and stuff? .....seems and kinda sounds like it.. thanks for the capitulation. ;)

Not an MMO, it's more like they drop you and 9 other people in a battle and you fight it out sort of thing. I'm not sure if you can crew up with friends to do it, that's what I'm waiting to see. First person shooter games, like Call of Duty, don't allow you to pick who is on your team, you are placed with randomes (correct me if Im wrong someone) Other games, like League of Legends, you can choose your team to fight with, and may get a random if you dont have a full team.

If someone can explain that better, please do.

Oooooh. so it IS like the "instance" from lotro or raid sys. or like SMITE but w/o the arena? just boats and stuff? .....seems and kinda sounds like it.. thanks for the capitulation. ;)
I believe the instance system was used only because this was a demo of the game. It was not a complete product and was mostly just for show.

In the future their goal is to allow us to have a free world experience similar to POTCO. They call it a "shared world adventure game" or "S.W.A.G." for short.

swag = mmorpg + pirates? ... that makes sense. :oops: are anyones here able to play and/or are playing said demo?

swag = mmorpg + pirates? ... that makes sense. are anyones here able to play the demo?
The demo is currently only available at the E3 Expo being hosted at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

Although, a few lucky pirates have been able to play the demo and have written about the experience.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/14/e3-2016-sea-of-thieves-hands-on-setting-sail-with-a-smile

http://rarethief.com/sea-of-thieves-hands-on-impressions-may-2016/

Last edited:
I believe the instance system was used only because this was a demo of the game. It was not a complete product and was mostly just for show.

In the future their goal is to allow us to have a free world experience similar to POTCO. They call it a "shared world adventure game" or "S.W.A.G." for short.
The way they used "shared world adventure game" in the context that they chose to use it makes it seem very instance-based.

The way they used "shared world adventure game" in the context that they chose to use it makes it seem very instance-based.
Thus far, I don't think we've seen any type of PC gameplay. Pictures from E3 show Xbox being the only play style and all content has been unveiled at Xbox focused events. I'm personally not sure if an online MMO (like POTCO) is even possible via a game console like Xbox. I know MOBAs have made their way to consoles, which are my only comparison. Unfortunately, MOBAs are only instance based.

It's my hope that the PC version will play like any other MMORPG, allowing you to be fully immersed 24/7. It would be rather misleading on their part to advertise as an "MMO" only to provide instance-based gameplay (Not to mention they would let a lot of people down). It would be more like an expanded world MOBA to me.

Although, it's likely still too early to jump to any conclusions. This seemed like a very rough prototype specially designed to just show off some content. I don't think it was played entirely how they have it planned.

...or then again I could just be babbling away and have no earthly idea what I'm talking about. :p

Back