SEARCH BAR_

S

Shamus The Brute

This forums has always had a "search bar." However, it is rather small and inconspicuous. Given the fact that previously written threads are not being readily reviewed and/or read could something be done to either relocate or bring further attention to the forums (default) search bar? :confused:

sherlock-holmes-quotes-art-of-deduction.jpg

*It is of my opinion that in focusing more attention to the forums SEARCH BAR in so doing it would alleviate multiple threads/posts being made about the same exact thing.

Thanks.

To be fair, we did move the search bar down into the body of the forums, mostly for cosmetic reasons with the banner. It did actually get larger as a result. It's not too far away in proximity to the "New Thread" button on a forum view, either. In fact, that search bar is displayed on every page in nearly the same location. I apologize, but I'm not seeing where the confusion is?

7a02e8dbc996dc22ba78fd6985333b95.png

...I apologize, but I'm not seeing where the confusion is?

7a02e8dbc996dc22ba78fd6985333b95.png
The confusion is, I don't get this overwhelming sense that NEW members here are even aware of it. As a result, I feel too many things are repeated and if the forums is to remain clutter-free given how quickly it has grown and continues to grow...I don't see the harm in expanding upon the way the SEARCH bar is utilized to cater to these (NEW) folks whom likely don't even realize it's available for them to use.

I think most people notice it, but don't care if it's a repost and just want to have a thread with their name at the top. lol

To be fair, we did move the search bar down into the body of the forums, mostly for cosmetic reasons with the banner. It did actually get larger as a result. It's not too far away in proximity to the "New Thread" button on a forum view, either. In fact, that search bar is displayed on every page in nearly the same location. I apologize, but I'm not seeing where the confusion is?

The confusion is, I don't get this overwhelming sense that NEW members here are even aware of it. As a result, I feel too many things are repeated and if the forums is to remain clutter-free given how quickly it has grown and continues to grow...I don't see the harm in expanding upon the way the SEARCH bar is utilized to cater to these (NEW) folks whom likely don't even realize it's available for them to use.

Last edited:
I think most people notice it, but don't care if it's a repost and just want to post their POV.
I understand. :) Problem is, if too many threads and posts speak about the same thing...how is everyone going to become aware of a "tip" or a fix someone came up with because the same content is spread too far and wide across the forums? As a result, some people are led to be happy possibly while others are still waiting for an answer about the same issue. That alone doesn't create harmony; it creates division.

To me, that is where the confusion lies the most in the fact that nobody has yet recognized such implication.

I'm not sure as to whether this is such a big an issue that it causes threads to become unnoticed, but you could always bump your thread to bring more attention to it. I've done it once or twice with the thread in my signature. :)

I understand. :) Problem is, if too many threads and posts speak about the same thing...how is everyone going to become aware of a "tip" or a fix someone came up with because the same content is spread too far and wide across the forums? As a result, some people are led to be happy possibly while others are still waiting for an answer about the same issue. That alone doesn't create harmony; it creates division.

To me, that is where the confusion lies the most in the fact that nobody has yet recognized such implication.

I honestly don't think there's any issue with the search bar. People just aren't always ambitious enough to check for an existing thread, and instead prefer the easier and more straight forward method of posting their own thread.

I honestly don't think there's any issue with the search bar. People just aren't always ambitious enough to check for an existing thread, and instead prefer the easier and more straight forward method of posting their own thread.
Right. So this thread begs the question if something should actually be done...to counter such "laziness" (for the point I am most trying to convey isn't to say that something is inherently wrong with the current SEARCH bar, just the fact that something 'should' be done to better draw attention towards it's [current] utilization).

Truth of the matter is, people will always be lazy. Why make it easy for them to remain complacent in their own laziness?

While a search bar is quite useful, most of the time, perhaps it might be more useful to have a "known issues in game" list, sticky posted to any and all forums topics, so then many/most users can avoid starting new threads for those known issues, or even reporting the same issue umpteen times in the bugs-n-glitches thread.
This way, when a pirate runs into a problem, more than likely others have as well and the devs, mods, etc have already acknowledged it, avoiding multiple posts about the same issue.

While a search bar is quite useful, most of the time, perhaps it might be more useful to have a "known issues in game" list, sticky posted to any and all forums topics, so then many/most users can avoid starting new threads for those known issues, or even reporting the same issue umpteen times in the bugs-n-glitches thread.
This way, when a pirate runs into a problem, more than likely others have as well and the devs, mods, etc have already acknowledged it, avoiding multiple posts about the same issue.
I've actually been a proponent of forums strategically organizing categories dedicated to separate issues everyone is having to no avail. Until your suggestion (or mine) is taken seriously, the one thing people will be sure to do is to repeat topics of discussion which further compounds the problem for everyone searching for a specific answer.

I've actually been a proponent of forums strategically organizing categories dedicated to separate issues everyone is having to no avail. Until your suggestion (or mine) is taken seriously, the one thing people will be sure to do is to repeat topics of discussion which further compounds the problem for everyone searching for a specific answer.
I feel like too many subsections would make the forums harder to navigate, as there would be sections inside of sections and before you know it you've got the equivalent of file directories going on. Correct me if I misunderstood your idea.

I feel like too many subsections would make the forums harder to navigate, as there would be sections inside of sections and before you know it you've got the equivalent of file directories going on. Correct me if I misunderstood your idea.
Is the system now overly efficient (for people 'new' to the forums to understand answers to their many questions)? I don't particularly feel that it is. What's worse, it clutters the forums which is counter-productive in the long-run IMO.

Is the system now overly efficient (for people 'new' to the forums to understand answers to their many questions)? I don't particularly feel that it is. What's worse, it clutters the forums which is counter-productive in the long-run IMO.
I feel like it's general enough to give people an idea of where to post while still allowing freedom of deciding for themselves. If the forums was heavily categorized, people with low ambition would just make a post anywhere because it would take too much effort for them to figure out where the post should actually go. This would actually cause just as much extra work for the forum staff as they would have to move a lot more threads to the proper locations.

I think that the basic issue here is that human nature is to look for the easiest solution possible to save time and effort when possible. Posting a new thread in many people's minds is the easiest and quickest solution. Instead of doing their own research, they can just toss their question to the wind and wait for the work to be done by others.

I feel like it's general enough to give people an idea of where to post while still allowing freedom of deciding for themselves. If the forums was heavily categorized, people with low ambition would just make a post anywhere because it would take too much effort for them to figure out where the post should actually go. This would actually cause just as much extra work for the forum staff as they would have to move a lot more threads to the proper locations.

I think that the basic issue here is that human nature is to look for the easiest solution possible to save time and effort when possible. Posting a new thread in many people's minds is the easiest and quickest solution. Instead of doing their own research, they can just toss their question to the wind and wait for the work to be done by others.
It's fine. Doing nothing and not preparing for future challenges is the way it's going to go anyway. Not trying to be rude. Just trying to be realistic.

We do recognize the implication of having a bunch of duplicate and misplaced threads. It creates headaches for us and users alike.

I think the issue, as @PirateJasonS says, is it's just plain easier not to check first. We need to reduce friction for finding duplicate threads and find a way to create friction for likely duplicate threads. I think a 'Known Issues' sticky with some of the most commonly posted/asked about issues may be helpful in this regard, though several of these threads have (and still do) exist already (such as the FAQ thread(s)).

Perhaps we should consider making so-called "megathreads" for specific issues like the lag issue that showed up last month as well.

May I ask which parts in particular you find confusing, and if you have any actionable suggestions for how to address it? Thread tagging is coming in the future, which may be a bit of help with regard to being able to organize/categorize content even across forum sections.

It's fine. Doing nothing and not preparing for future challenges is the way it's going to go anyway. Not trying to be rude. Just trying to be realistic.
We do have some ideas to help alleviate these issues, but the forums have been on a feature freeze for the past several (and next couple) months.

Last edited:
...May I ask which parts in particular you find confusing, and if you have any actionable suggestions for how to address it?
I am not concerned about any confusion existing on my end but rather "new" members whom constantly join the forums but fail to understand that threads do exist pertaining to particular topics-of-discussion which concern them. *This has become especially true throughout the BETA stage where so many people feel compelled to voice their concerns/their experiences publicly. Therefore, what could work is what I suggest below:
  • Re-write the forums default (welcoming) message/greeting sent to new members
  • Within this or accompanying messages "remind" new members the importance of reading-up on existing threads first before writing to avoid duplicated threads and forums clutter (giving some explanation as to why it has now become a problem on the forums)
  • Encourage new members through such correspondence to utilize the SEARCH_bar to pin-point/locate pre-existing threads
  • Enforce accountability to where duplicated threads have some sort of action taken against them

I am not concerned about any confusion existing on my end but rather "new" members whom constantly join the forums but fail to understand that threads do exist pertaining to particular topics-of-discussion which concern them. *This has become especially true throughout the BETA stage where so many people feel compelled to voice their concerns/their experiences publicly. Therefore, what could work is what I suggest below:
  • Re-write the forums default (welcoming) message/greeting sent to new members
  • Within this or accompanying messages "remind" new members the importance of reading-up on existing threads first before writing to avoid duplicated threads and forums clutter (giving some explanation as to why it has now become a problem on the forums)
  • Encourage new members through such correspondence to utilize the SEARCH_bar to pin-point/locate pre-existing threads
  • Enforce accountability to where duplicated threads have some sort of action taken against them
Not bad ideas, but I have to disagree with that last point. Making that punishable would only increase the workload for the moderation staff more than anything else. You'd be taking a simple merge operation and turning it into a merge + warn the user + potentially explain when the user questions it... plus there's the possibility of people getting temp-bans from too many accrued warnings (if that's how the system works).

As for the rest, making the search options known to the user when they first register wouldn't be a bad solution.

Back