server questions for da nerds like me

lilsynaster

Pirate
ok so im curious is the server ran dedicated from the tlopo headquarters or do they pay for hosting services? like dedicated servers in ark survival evolved 7 days to die ect where you pay a company to host your own server for a monthly fee. ive always assumed they owned the hardware it took to run them however i could be wrong.

ok so im curious is the server ran dedicated from the tlopo headquarters or do they pay for hosting services? like dedicated servers in ark survival evolved 7 days to die ect where you pay a company to host your own server for a monthly fee. ive always assumed they owned the hardware it took to run them however i could be wrong.
This probably would have been better suited for the Q&A thread but ill do my best to answer it.

IIRC they used to own a physical server that was in the home of one of the developers ( I could be having a fever dream right now and remembering this as misinformation )

But i believe a while back they wound up switching to a service that they front the cost for out of pocket.

@The Crew or @Stephen Teague are more likely to have a better answer for this,

gotcha I thought maybe you guys where having a problem with a threadripper lol jk I assumed it was ran through a company however was curious about how it was ran lately ive had an interest in coding and programming and contemplating going to school for it and getting outa construction.

gotcha I thought maybe you guys where having a problem with a threadripper lol jk I assumed it was ran through a company however was curious about how it was ran lately ive had an interest in coding and programming and contemplating going to school for it and getting outa construction.
In the spirit of transparency, I'll describe a little bit of what we're working on here:

Prior to the maintenance occurring right now, we had two dedicated machines which a high-speed communications channel maintained between them. We have something like 60 or 70 different servers running to power TLOPO, it's a lot.

To make this system as efficient as possible, we divided the game's server into smaller servers which handle specific tasks. This allows us to create a server that is exclusively responsible for managing all lobbies, or perhaps a different server responsible only for managing all guilds.

In our new set up, we are renting a newer and much more powerful high-end CPU. We are taking advantage of as many features this CPU has, and are redesigning how the servers will work to provide our players a better game experience.

The new servers in tandem with the Pypperoni game update (coming hopefully by the end of this year) is going to be an extraordinary update for the game.

Last edited:
@The Crew ahh gotcha basicly your just adding more power to singled out areas to make other cluster communications (as in like spawns for tormenta or ships and keeping up with player killing and respawns is on a server dedicated to a lot of the none hardware intensive partsof the game) where as like the servers ( as in abassa exuma ect) pvp svs the islands by chance are all dedicated to their own hardware for a stronger combined signal and faster to reduce latency within the system and online server. personally I have no idea what files look like the spec rates on the machines and the technition side of things because im not seeing it however I do know I run certain things within my personal computer on dedicated slave drives just to enhance my overall performance. and I suspect its kinda the same concept in a way just all within a 3rd party server cloud storage than as I do with manual hardware with my pc. sorry just fascinated by the process is all lol I could be entirely wrong with my educated guess. however 60 to 70 servers is extreme for the game I would have never suspected that but would make sense if each runs their own processes within the whole game. regardless I imagine trying to port legacy code on modern machinery is a pain and a half aswell, and from scratch is even harder.

In the spirit of transparency, I'll describe a little bit of what we're working on here:

Prior to the maintenance occurring right now, we had two dedicated machines which a high-speed communications channel maintained between them. We have something like 60 or 70 different servers running to power TLOPO, it's a lot.

To make this system as efficient as possible, we divided the game's server into smaller servers which handle specific tasks. This allows us to create a server that is exclusively responsible for managing all lobbies, or perhaps a different server responsible only for managing all guilds.

In our new set up, we are renting a newer and much more powerful high-end CPU. We are taking advantage of as many features this CPU has, and are redesigning how the servers will work to provide our players a better game experience.

The new servers in tandem with the Pypperoni game update (coming hopefully by the end of this year) is going to be an extraordinary update for the game.
Ahoy, With the new update coming, do you think clearing the TLOPO cache would be idea considering the new game infrastructure?

Ahoy, With the new update coming, do you think clearing the TLOPO cache would be idea considering the new game infrastructure?

It never hurts to clear your Game Cache. I don't do it as frequently as I'd like to, but never put it off if you're looking to clean up some of the game's loading processes.

Back