Idea Ship Customization Revisited & Revamped

Roger-Daniel

Pirate Lord
Ship customization is one of the more interesting parts of the game. Basically everything that has to do with sailing revolves around this feature. Despite this, it's pretty bare-bones, or at least it's pretty bare-bones compared to what it could be. I know that sailing is a relatively insignificant feature as it stands currently in tlopo, but a pirate's ship should be their most prized possession, and they should be able to customize it however they want. I think if tlopo makes sailing a bigger, important and fun thing to do in the game, these would be great features to have.

Sail Customization
Currently, players are limited to choosing between only 7 pre-made striped sail colors, so someone cant have black and red sails or green and white if they want to.

It'd be neat for TLOPO to allow players to select a primary and secondary color so they can have whatever colored stripes they want.
Another cool idea is to add an assortment of decals or "patterns" other than stripes to go with the previous feature

Untitled-3.png
concepts3.png

"Extras"
Potco-warship2.png

Because they are cool, duh.
In all seriousness, despite being a really small addition, i think they could really help create and sell the illusion that your ship is actually being pushed and pulled by the wind rather than just sliding across the surface of the water.
654b2618a3bd25d6e893363d04a5ce85.png
potco-dragon-1136x640.jpg

Figureheads, an old POTCO classic lost to time.
Literally as i'm writing this they have been confirmed to be very early in development but sidelined for the time being. ty Mr. Dev ♥
Maybe TLOPO has made a comment (yes they have) already regarding this feature, but would it really be difficult to set up this feature in the same way that we can choose our pirate names (yes it would be), with a wheel prefix-suffix system, or the ability to type a custom name and have a temporary one while it awaits approval? I don't know what the name approval system looks like on the back-end, but maybe slap a ship name approval list next to the pirate one.
EDIT: due to lack of volunteer manpower on the moderation side of the game, this feature isn't possible and won't be implemented.

Hull Customization
The problem with hull upgrades is that since your ship's design is directly tied to your hull upgrade, you have no ability to customize the look of your hull other than changing your ship's stats. I think this is where POTCO dropped the ball with ship customization.

My suggestion is for TLOPO to implement new hull designs that are purely cosmetic for people to customize their ship with.

Concept:
5cfe2494f49df1cb935fec59248bbca7.png

However, I think it should still be possible to identify a ship's upgrade without it firing broadsides (for svs balance and such), but it would be difficult to do so with a different hull design. The idea to get around this is to have an icon next to the name of the ship, indicating which upgrade it is.

shiphulls.png
It'd be pretty cool if we could see some of these things in loot at sea or from land enemies and gain "schematics" that basically just unlocks that item in the customization menu for us to use. Maybe add a quest to unlock a new emblem, hull design, or other feature. Or even just make all of it purchasable at the shipwright.

These features are hardly the only thing that sailing needs, but revitalizing ship customization and giving it a lot more depth could be the first step in making sailing truly great in this pirate-themed game.
Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Back