Ship randomly sinking/being sunk in one shot

Waffles

Sea Legs
Recently, I purchased a War Brig and decided to take it sailing an join the big ships farming ship mats. Everything was going well for a couple runs. After going out for another run though, my ship, with almost full armor and health, just randomly sunk. I repaired it and took it out, got another run completed. The next run after that, my War Brig took an entire broadside from a SOLT and survived with 1/4 health left. Ship mates repaired the ship to almost full health, and then the ship randomly sunk again. No sounds of being hit, just went straight to the cinematic camera to watch my ship sink. After that, my ship would continuously sink every time I took it out, making it impossible to loot more than one or two ships without porting, lest I lose it all. Even just sailing in open water without being attacked, I would randomly sink. I decided to leave sailing for a while and focused on leveling my cannoning for a while. About 2-3 days after that, I decided to take my War Brig out again, this time only on a loot run and not facing any bounty hunters or war ships. I was almost full cargo, still nearly full health/armor, and I was facing an EITC War Sloop. I watched one broadside from the sloop only hit for 71 damage per shot. Then suddenly, with its next broadside, my game froze for a second as the shots hit, and to my amazement, the shots that landed on my ship did anywhere from 3999 damage to 6666 damage per hit. Needless to sail, my poor unupgraded War Brig just immediately sunk to this War Sloop that did more damage in one cannon shot than a SOLT could do in an entire broadside. I've heard of issues of ships being randomly sunk before, however those seemed to usually be ships sinking right after setting sail, so I figured this was a different enough glitch to warrant a new post.

Ahoy Waffles!

Sounds to me like you have met the EITC Corsair war sloops.
They are VERY powerful and shoot explosive shots. They can even do pretty serious damage to the broadside of a customized war ship.

But to go from 71 damage per shot to one shotting a War Brig seems a bit much, especially considering said War Brig can take a full SOLT broadside. There's also the cases of my ship randomly sinking for no reason at all..

Seems a bit extreme but I suppose. Thank you.
There's still issues of randomly sinking without taking any damage though, and its only happened in my War Brig. Medium sloop and medium brig sailed fine.

Seems a bit extreme but I suppose. Thank you.
There's still issues of randomly sinking without taking any damage though, and its only happened in my War Brig. Medium sloop and medium brig sailed fine.
Yeah I'm sure I have heard of random sinking before. Maybe next time it happens send an email to support at support@tlopo.com and explain exactly what was happening at the time and a copy of your recent game log.

Ahoy @Waffles,

Something else to keep in mind when you're out among the waters of the Abassa Ship Cluster, is that Explosive Rounds fired from the broadsides of EITC Corsair, HMS Battle Royale, EITC Juggernaut, and a few other select ships are very nearly invisible to the naked eye. Explosive rounds do not have a trail, and are only really visible when powered up by the Open Fire! Sailing skill used by player ships exclusively.

While Frigates and Galleons may have similar issues, War Brigs suffer from the fact that what they lack in height is added to the length of the ship from bow to stern, making it a very vulnerable target to Explosive shots, which deal incredible amounts of damage.

Reading your post once again I know you stated that it was your War Brig, but there is an immense amount of desync when you're sailing another player's ship, basically acting as if you had bad ping. You'll be hit by broadsides that are miles behind you, and the likes.

A couple of things to be weary of out on the waters of the Caribbean.

Fair Seas,
Misha

Will do. Thanks
One more thing to think about. It's been an issue on and off with rogue cheat players randomly sinking people just for the fun of it.
You do not have to be pvp either for their exploit to work.
Just a thought.

Here is a quote from the wiki page "With the Corsair's firepower and manueverability, it is by far the most powerful enemy war sloop to sail the Caribbean, and even the hardiest pirates will go out of their way to avoid it for it can rip apart a War Frigate's and a War Brig's hull in a matter of seconds."

Here is a link to the page https://piratesonline.fandom.com/wiki/EITC_Corsair
Fore sure. I even avoid the lowest level corsair. I just don't mess with them. But there may be a quest that requires sinking a corsair, and if so, good luck with that.

Luckily I have a stormchaser sloop, so that should make me harder to hit in addition to the added mobility

Behemoths are almost as bad as Corsairs , they take half the health of any of my ships regardless of Armor ! Yes as a old time pirate Myself I stay clear of Corsairs !

I can take down Corsair ships pretty easy with my war galleon (Even solo sailing) the way I take them down is by just hitting them from a distance, proceed to dance in circles, and if you are broadside of the Corsair use your sail skill or ramming speed to manuver around or away from the ship. And if you cannot manuver out of the situation then pop the take cover and hope for the best.

Sadly, I don't have take cover yet. I had only just gotten to 15 recently. Managed to get almost 100k gold before I hit sailing 15 or level 30... I guess a testament to how casually I play.

Stormchaser sloop is fairly weak. You can get killed by a high level war sloop (Corsair or navy equiv) or galleon (Behemoth or navy equiv) but OTOH you can kill them with one shot. It's all a matter of timing and distance. Explosives are very close-range so avoid getting close to those ships. Especially, use the fact that Stormchaser has the furthest range via lightning broadside and dance around them. You don't need to rely on the painfully slow circling pattern -- you can also sail straight away from them, then turn and come straight back after your broadsides have recharged.

I’m not quite sure what is happening to you, I feel there are three possibilities: 1) you are experiencing some sort of bug. 2) you are being attacked by a hacker, seems unlikely based on your posts. 3) you are messing with ships that have explosive broadsides without understanding how to deal with them, the most likely.

There are 2 regular type ships that have explosive broadsides and are capable of one-shotting all player ships: Corsairs and Juggernauts. Also the Battle Royal and some Fleet ships, I’m not absolutely certain which, have explosive broadsides and can one-shot you. The way to avoid this fate is to either stay far enough away, explosives have very limited range, or pass by at full speed if you are going to be in close, it takes a very short time for them to lo lock on to your ship but even the slowest ships can pass by if they are at full speed.

Never saunter up to the side of a ship with explosives, many SvS players found this out the hard way and whined about how they were sunk enough to get the developers to nerf the Copperhead so that they could do as they please, lol, now the Copperhead is a shadow of its former self even though it was never really hard to deal with if you were aware.

I suppose there's a fair argument that Corsairs are a bit overpowered, but personally I kinda like it. It's pretty rare to find challenging PvE interactions in this game.

The right solution to this might just be to 'git gud,' as they say.
Dealing with ships that have explosive broadsides is not a very serious challenge and nerfing them would be a crime of even bigger proportion than the Copperhead nerf that still upsets me very, very much. Sorry for getting a little off topic but I’m just beside myself with that nerf messing with the original game and it’s balance seemingly because SvS players were mostly unaware.

Back