Ship stopped on its own

Will Callecutter

Honorable Pirate
Weird glitch tonight- on the way back from a mat run my ship stopped entirely on its own, and wouldn't get going again no matter what I did. When it stopped I didn't press any keys and I didn't run into any other ships, it happened on its own. Could still change the direction it faced. Of course, I had a royale behind me, so I sank. Didn't seem like a lag issue, all the other ships in the area continued as normal. Anyone see this happen before?

No. So you could turn but couldn't move. I've not seen this, were there any other unusual circumstances? Did you try any other things such as fire cannons or take cover and the like? Was this incident on a crowded server? Lol, sorry to answer your question with a question... it's interesting for sure.

No. So you could turn but couldn't move. I've not seen this, were there any other unusual circumstances? Did you try any other things such as fire cannons or take cover and the like? Was this incident on a crowded server? Lol, sorry to answer your question with a question... it's interesting for sure.

Correct, could turn but not move. Take cover was the first thing I did and it activated normally. Ramming speed displayed the animation but the ship stayed put. I also pressed S then W again (pressing S didn't even lower the sails). That's all I had time for. This was on Abassa. Could have just been some strange lag (although none of the other ships around were lagging).

Last edited:
Correct, could turn but not move. Take cover was the first thing I did and it activated normally. Ramming speed displayed the animation but the ship stayed put. I also pressed S then W again (pressing S didn't even lower the sails. That's all I had time for. This was on Abassa. Could have just been some strange lag (although none of the other ships around were lagging).
Did you report it in game too?
My question is, how long were you stuck before realizing it and getting sunk? If it was just a few seconds, then I'd suspect lag since it's abassa.
Also I have seen this action on abassa just seconds before dc'g. I'd come to a standstill, sailing or land, stutter around for some seconds then it's desktop for me. Abassa does this all the time for me. I can run better than 60fps on all games on my system except tlopo where 10fps is speedy for me.

Ahoy, @Will Callecutter,

This bug is one that I have experienced on a plethora of occasions over the last year or so. Though I am not currently aware of a particular method in triggering this to happen, it is a mildly easy fix.

As stated above by @Crashalot, this bug can be quickly fixed by letting go of the wheel and hopping back on. In the case of your situation on a public ship run, I would highly recommend popping Take Cover! before letting go of the wheel, as to prevent too much incoming damage.

I hope that this helps your circumvent the obstacle at hand, and please, if you find out more information about this bug in your time out on the high seas, don't be afraid to send in a bug report at earliest convenience.

Fair Winds,
Misha

I, as one of those "noobs", wonder if this bug only affects Windows machines? I've not seen it but do sail a fair bit. By the way, I don't think your description sounds like lag.
You run on a mac? Whatta noob!
LOL, we should go sailing sometime, so I can stay on repairs while you almost sink us...

Ahoy, @Will Callecutter,

This bug is one that I have experienced on a plethora of occasions over the last year or so. Though I am not currently aware of a particular method in triggering this to happen, it is a mildly easy fix.

As stated above by @Crashalot, this bug can be quickly fixed by letting go of the wheel and hopping back on. In the case of your situation on a public ship run, I would highly recommend popping Take Cover! before letting go of the wheel, as to prevent too much incoming damage.

I hope that this helps your circumvent the obstacle at hand, and please, if you find out more information about this bug in your time out on the high seas, don't be afraid to send in a bug report at earliest convenience.

Fair Winds,
Misha
Heya Misha,
Welcome to the forums!

You run on a mac? Whatta noob!
LOL, we should go sailing sometime, so I can stay on repairs while you almost sink us...
You are always welcome on my ship, of course we can just port if no one wants to repair. You know my love for Corsairs makes it so I need repairs often as I sometimes try to be sure it goes down by cutting in on it which often leads to a big boom, lol. I also love finding 2 Corsairs that are 2 or 3 boat lengths apart and sailing between them to sink both without a scratch but I'm often a little off on timing... In a classic case of do as I say and not as I do, never cut in on a Corsair when you are in range. Of course, I don't ever recall actually getting sunk by such a mistake but it does annoy my crew to spend more time on repairs, lol

You are always welcome on my ship, of course we can just port if no one wants to repair. You know my love for Corsairs makes it so I need repairs often as I sometimes try to be sure it goes down by cutting in on it which often leads to a big boom, lol. I also love finding 2 Corsairs that are 2 or 3 boat lengths apart and sailing between them to sink both without a scratch but I'm often a little off on timing... In a classic case of do as I say and not as I do, never cut in on a Corsair when you are in range. Of course, I don't ever recall actually getting sunk by such a mistake but it does annoy my crew to spend more time on repairs, lol
Whats so special about those miserable pests anyways?

Yes, I'm aware of your penchant for twin Corsairs...
I like 'em too, so I got nothing to say there.
My thing is to sail right up to 'em, just before they agro, and do an open fire and spatter shoot 'em with the brig and watch them light up. Sometimes they don't sink tho, but they lose the sails, usually.

LOL, Corsairs or crew?!?
Corsairs are fun because they can easily one shot you if you're not careful, but rewarding as heck when you get the better of them. Just a weird sailing thing I guess.

Their explosive broadsides present a challenge, particularly when you approach to within their range. There is much self satisfaction in being able to tangle with them at close range and see them go down while your ship still has full health.

Back