Discussion Ship Upgrades

Is a Skull and Bone or Storm Chaser a good fit for a War Galleon?

Unless you want Skull and Bones for the 'cool' factor, get Storm Chaser- the broadsides are much stronger and the speed increase is definitely a big plus. I find it to be a more effective upgrade.

@Eric SailcutterI plan to try the copperhead for war galleon next time.

I have one on my first pirate and I can't recommend it. As much as I love copperhead, it just isn't great on a war galleon. If you really want, I can let you sail it and see what you think. On the other hand, copper on a war brig is probably my favorite build of them all.

Finally got war frigate to level 6 stormcasher on one of my pirates. Just need level 6 Skull & Crossbone and Level 6 Copperhead to complete the set.

personaly i absolutely love my war galleon honestly had one back in potco that was copperheaded and id go solo mat runs with it fun ship plain on doing the same here

Verily depending on the player. I love War Galleons in certain aspects, but they can also be painfully irritating to use.

Well...Thing is, there isn't a thing that a Galleon can do that another ship can't do better. Sure, from a subjective point of view, some like them for various reasons: nostalgia, fondness of the aesthetic, etc. But objectively they are the worst ship class.

An update for them would be great, to give their fans a good reason to buy one. But part of the reason they're so bad is because they're a gargantuan, easy - I dare say impossible - to miss target. And I doubt the devs are willing to dabble in the area of tinkering with models. A raw stat increase also seems undesirable, as the magnitude of the buff needed to offset its size would be grossly overpowered. Galleons are only good for one thing...providing target practice for new gunners.

I know this is an old thread, but my suggestion to the OP would be this: If you haven't already, don't upgrade your ship. Just use its base state to gather materials, and get enough gold for a War Brig. It'll be well worth the extra wait. Trust me mate. But if you've done everything, and just want to collect the odd balls for variety and or completion, go for it.

Last edited:
Well...Thing is, there isn't a thing that a Galleon can do that another ship can't do better. Sure, from a subjective point of view, some like them for various reasons: nostalgia, fondness of the aesthetic, etc. But objectively they are the worst ship class.

An update for them would be great, to give their fans a good reason to buy one. But part of the reason they're so bad is because they're a gargantuan, easy - I dare say impossible - to miss target. And I doubt the devs are willing to dabble in the area of tinkering with models. A raw stat increase also seems undesirable, as the magnitude of the buff needed to offset its size would be grossly overpowered. Galleons are only good for one thing...providing target practice for new gunners.

I know this is an old thread, but my suggestion to the OP would be this: If you haven't already, don't upgrade your ship. Just use its base state to gather materials, and get enough gold for a War Brig. It'll be well worth the extra wait. Trust me mate.

I assume you're discussing this in the sense of SvS, in which I agree that it's drawbacks in size do cause it to be a hindrance. However, an easy fix without editing the model of the ship whatsoever would be to put the ship lower in the water. It would not only be corrected in that it wouldn't be as big a weak spot, but it would also make it more viable in my opinion. (It would also line up the broadside to the waterline, which would be more historically accurate in the ship's model.)

However, I entirely disagree in regards of Player vs. AI, as well that the ship is outclassed in every category. For players looking for a powerhouse, War Galleons boast the highest count of Broadside Cannons for any ship in the Caribbean, only tied by the Ship-Of-The-Line. Players looking for a ship with an absolutely ridiculous cargo space, War Galleons cannot be beaten by any ship. The only thing that comes close is a War Brig, which mind you, costs 50% more material overall to a War Galleon.

Not only are they cheaper, but they are the Caribbean's lumbering titan of a powerhouse, and will slaughter most things they come by. Sure, War Brigs aren't bad, but you can't look at it and completely pass by it's strengths just to say that something else is better.

EDIT: That is not to say that the ship's size doesn't cause it to be a damage sponge in ship engagements. A captain that isn't familiar with how to avoid cannon fire will sink very quickly.

Cargo space barely affects mats gained per hour. The meta is to join Abassa, find 2-3 ships with high bounties, destroy everything in sight, rapidly port and relaunch. Cargo space might save you...what, maybe 2 minutes? However, the speed, maneuverability, and superior firing angles of other ships would allow you to sink more ships in less time, defeating the convenience of more space. I feel you are over exaggerating the 1 extra broadside that the WG has over the WB. One more cannonball per volley does not compensate for the weaknesses at all. I'm afraid that as long as the Abassa mat party meta exists, the cargo space argument doesn't have a leg to stand on. If you had to build a bounty every single run, then it would begin to matter.

To conclude my rebuttal to the overall Player Vs. AI argument, only the end result of loot gained per hour matters. I can prove to you time and time again that this rate is not effected significantly by the small margins of the Galleon class in the areas of broadside count and cargo space. It is vastly outperformed by a War Brig of the same hull type in all areas of gameplay. The only possible advantage the Galleon class has is lower cost. And even then, warships are a long term investment, in which case it's better to save for the highest performing purchase.
screenshot_2017-08-20_02-18-47.jpg
With this ship right here, I could power farm enough materials to produce its twin in just a little over a week of casual play - 2 knots greater mid/max speed, and a sharper turning radius which means more broadsides fired per minute. I could even do it without a crew, but that's getting into Copperhead supremacy arguments, so I won't go there. :martini:

Last edited:
Cargo space barely affects mats gained per hour. The meta is to join Abassa, find 2-3 ships with high bounties, destroy everything in sight, rapidly port and relaunch. Cargo space might save you...what, maybe 2 minutes? The speed and maneuverability of other ships would allow you gain loot faster as well, defeating the convenience of more space. I feel you are over exaggerating the 1 extra broadside that the WG has over the WB. One more cannonball per volley does not compensate for the weaknesses at all.

For the Player vs. AI argument, only the end result of loot gained per hour matters. I can prove to you time and time again that this rate is not effected significantly by the small margins of the Galleon class in the areas of broadside count and cargo space. It is vastly outperformed by a War Brig of the same hull type in all areas of gameplay. The only possible advantage the Galleon class has is lower cost. And even then, warships are a long term investment, in which case it's better to save for the highest performing purchase.
View attachment 111411
With this ship right here, I could power farm enough materials to produce its twin in just a little over a week. Even without a crew, but that's getting into Copperhead supremacy arguments, so I won't go there. :martini:
i use to solo mat runs to with my copperheaad war galleon

However, I entirely disagree in regards of Player vs. AI, as well that the ship is outclassed in every category. For players looking for a powerhouse, War Galleons boast the highest count of Broadside Cannons for any ship in the Caribbean, only tied by the Ship-Of-The-Line. Players looking for a ship with an absolutely ridiculous cargo space, War Galleons cannot be beaten by any ship. The only thing that comes close is a War Brig, which mind you, costs 50% more material overall to a War Galleon.

War brigs have the same amount of broadside cannons as war galleons. The in-game stats are wrong.

Back