Ship vs Ship

navy3001

Notorious Pirate
everytime I do Ship vs Ship, it ends up the same..with my ship sunk but what is odd is that on my screen the attacker missed all shots but on his screen he hits so I am sunk

That's what happens when there's lag. It's in just about every multiplayer game out there, and there's really not a lot that can be done about it despite what people will try to convince you to believe.

And every time you try SvS, you're trying a multiplayer function of an online game that has opponents that may or may not be on the complete opposite side of the world from you.

My point still stands.
so...I should not do svs then because there is no way to fix it? howcome POTCO really didn't have this problem..

so...I should not do svs then because there is no way to fix it? howcome POTCO really didn't have this problem..

I'm not saying you shouldn't participate in it at all, and I do remember POTCO had this "problem" very well. What I am saying is that it's something that's rather natural with these kinds of games. It's inevitable.

If it involves multiple machines that have to communicate over any kind of distance, even if you're on a wired connection, there will be latency.

It's not specific to this game, it's likely not specific to your machine...it's just how it is. A big factor, though, is your internet connection speeds. However, even if you had the best internet that could possibly be offered, you'd still run into lag and delayed reactions/occurrences.

Edit: Corrected some spelling errors.

I'm not saying you shouldn't participate in it at all, and I do remember POTCO had this "problem" very well. What I am saying is that it's something that's rather natural with these kinds of games. It's inevitable.

If it involves multiple machines that have to communicate over any kind of distance, even if you're on a wired connection, there will be latency.

It's not specific to this game, it's likely not specific to your machine...it's just how it is. A big factor, though, is your internet connection speeds. However, even if you had the best internet that could possibly be offered, you'd still run into lag and delayed reactions/occurrences.

Edit: Corrected some spelling errors.

well..i guess Im done with svs..because I end up hitting nothing..while I doge shots and im killed in one hit..

well..i guess Im done with svs..because I end up hitting nothing..while I doge shots and im killed in one hit..
Don’t give up on SVS/privateering. (Once you get used to things, you’ll never regret this aspect of this ‘special’ game. Besides, no pirate ever amounted to much without SOME loss [at sea]). ⚓

"Lag damage" is quite common in the game, especially with all forms of sailing.

When I'm sailing, I see my crew missing ships completely, yet the ship sinks.
Likewise, enemies shoot at me and miss, yet the damage counters light up my ship like Christmas, with not a single shot of theirs missing my ship.
I'm sure eventually the devs will get around to the serious lag issues.

They have myriad issues, bugs, glitches and problems to deal with, so it seems like things take time to work out, and you don't notice all the ones they fix right away, but they are on top of it as best they can.
Gotta love 'em for that!

You gotta try to get your fps up.
Im running at about 20-30 fps on busy server and was running at 10-15 until I made the following changes

1. Run on medium graphics
2. Open the task manager by hitting ctrl alt delete
3. Under applications click on tlopo
4. Hit expand and there are two processes associated with it
5. Go to details on the conhost associated with tlopo and change the priority to high
6. Now find the tlopo.exe process in the list and set its priority to above normal

These steps need to be performed before you select your character from the selection page to start the game.

This improvement changed my svs performance drastically and im gonna keep looking for more improvements.
Don't sit around waiting for the devs to fix everything.

You gotta try to get your fps up.
Im running at about 20-30 fps on busy server and was running at 10-15 until I made the following changes

1. Run on medium graphics
2. Open the task manager by hitting ctrl alt delete
3. Under applications click on tlopo
4. Hit expand and there are two processes associated with it
5. Go to details on the conhost associated with tlopo and change the priority to high
6. Now find the tlopo.exe process in the list and set its priority to above normal

These steps need to be performed before you select your character from the selection page to start the game.

This improvement changed my svs performance drastically and im gonna keep looking for more improvements.
Don't sit around waiting for the devs to fix everything.
alright.. i'll try the tips

Did you notice a change in fps?
Also what kind of ship are you sailing?
im sailing my upgraded Brig

and the FPS are stble for me even when I do not do that.. FPS is not a problem..what is the problem is when onn my screen I miss the hostile broadside, but on his screen they all hit so I am damaged..

LOL, my fps is well over what's stated. It has no effect on the latency. I can have 2 pirates open at once and one sees things up to 5 seconds slower than the other, whereas fps is well above 40.
Fps has nothing to do with latency or lag damage when sailing.

im sailing my upgraded Brig

and the FPS are stble for me even when I do not do that.. FPS is not a problem..what is the problem is when onn my screen I miss the hostile broadside, but on his screen they all hit so I am damaged..

The hit box on different ships can have an effect on whether you get hit visually or not.

War sloop and war frigates seem to have slightly smaller hit boxes.
Gallons are the worst but brigs suffer from this problem too.

LOL, my fps is well over what's stated. It has no effect on the latency. I can have 2 pirates open at once and one sees things up to 5 seconds slower than the other, whereas fps is well above 40.
Fps has nothing to do with latency or lag damage when sailing.

I am realizing there are two different kinds of LAG going on. Client side LAG does affect svs and it can be reduced by increasing your fps.
Server side LAG is also a problem that can't be removed on our end. It is what causes player ships to appear to teleport and get hit when the cannon balls are clearly missing. It remains to be seen if this LAG can be reduced by lowering your ping or not.

Back