Shipcards (ship playercards), fleet system

Darkslinger

Notorious Pirate
Shipcards

When clicking on another player's ship or a sailing friends name, their ship player card should appear. When their shipcard is open, an extra three pages are added to the "Skill levels" section of the player card. The first page shows the stats of your ship, the second your sailing skill-point distribution, and the third your cannon skill-point distribution. The ship replaces the player on the card and the captain of the ship is visible to the left of it. To get a better look at the captain, players can simply click on them so their avatar is enlarged.
Shipcards would bring back a form of high-seas communication - a feature previously included in POTCO that was scrapped due to favoring performance over looks. In this case, there is no negative impact towards performance since no extra pirates are displayed - shipcards simply appear when a ship or captain is clicked on.

To whisper to another captain - you must be the captain of the ship you are aboard (except if you're a crew/guild member or on their friends list). Click on their ship, then click the whisper icon. Since every player's privacy is important in TLOPO, a disable toggle will be available to block high-seas whispers from other (stranger) captains. If the feature is disabled, the whisper icon will become greyed out to ship captains who are not on your friends list, guild or crew.

Fleet System

Another feature shipcards would introduce to the game is the formation of fleets. Fleets are similar to crews, and other ships can be invited to join a fleet. The fleet leader invites other captains to join their fleet using the pre-existing "crew" button. If the player invited is sailing onboard a ship where they are captain, they receive a fleet invite. The maximum number of ships in one fleet is 4, meaning the maximum number of players in a single fleet is 48 (4 crews).

When a captain accepts a fleet invite, all crewmembers aboard are automatically members of the fleet and are able to converse in fleet chat. The chat is color-coded to show which ship you are aboard.

The fleet list contains the color-coded names of the ships in the fleet as opposed to the names of the captains. The list is displayed to the right of the crew list. To the right of each ship name is an arrow icon which expands to show a list of players on a specific ship. Clicking on a ship name from the fleet list will open up the ships player card. Being in a fleet rewards all fleet-members with an extra 2.5% rep boost per fleet ship (max 10% rep boost).

If two or more members of a crew decide to sail into the high-seas on their own ships, the crew automatically divides itself into a fleet with two ships. However, a lot of variables such as the crew leaders response to the fleet request, the limit of ships in a fleet, and more have to be taken into account. This part would be problematic in-game and very difficult to implement due to some of the reasons highlighted previously (and more).

Visual examples of shipcards

shipcard_pg2.png

shipcard_pg3.png

shipcard_pg4.png

Last edited:
I actually really, really love this idea.
And I try to play devils advocate for reasons why suggestions are bad ones.

The only real concern I have for this one is the man hours required to implement it. Otherwise I think it's a stellar idea.

Also cannon skills should be visible - or more specifically, the ammo types and barrage. These are important skills for any captain, just as much as the actual sailing skills.

I actually really, really love this idea.
And I try to play devils advocate for reasons why suggestions are bad ones.

The only real concern I have for this one is the man hours required to implement it. Otherwise I think it's a stellar idea.

Also cannon skills should be visible - or more specifically, the ammo types and barrage. These are important skills for any captain, just as much as the actual sailing skills.
Thanks!

If it were to be included, which I doubt it would to be honest, it would definitely be after they've released everything, ironed out major issues, and added other high-priority ideas into the game. It would be great to (at least) see small pieces of the idea be procedurally released!

Yeah, I agree. Initially I thought they'd be useless but I just remembered that certain skills you invest in directly affect the damage you deal w/ broadsides. I'll make sure to include + upload a 4th page, then!

@Sky Kiwi

Edited all images and added your suggestion in! Couldn't remove the ammo count since I'm too lazy at the moment lol. Also added an icon to replace crew invite to fleet invite when viewing a foreign shipcard.

Shipcards

When clicking on another player's ship or a sailing friends name, their ship player card should appear. When their shipcard is open, an extra three pages are added to the "Skill levels" section of the player card. The first page shows the stats of your ship, the second your sailing skill-point distribution, and the third your cannon skill-point distribution. The ship replaces the player on the card and the captain of the ship is visible to the left of it. To get a better look at the captain, players can simply click on them so their avatar is enlarged.
Shipcards would bring back a form of high-seas communication - a feature previously included in POTCO that was scrapped due to favoring performance over looks. In this case, there is no negative impact towards performance since no extra pirates are displayed - shipcards simply appear when a ship or captain is clicked on.

To whisper to another captain - you must be the captain of the ship you are aboard (except if you're a crew/guild member or on their friends list). Click on their ship, then click the whisper icon. Since every player's privacy is important in TLOPO, a disable toggle will be available to block high-seas whispers from other (stranger) captains. If the feature is disabled, the whisper icon will become greyed out to ship captains who are not on your friends list, guild or crew.

Fleet System

Another feature shipcards would introduce to the game is the formation of fleets. Fleets are similar to crews, and other ships can be invited to join a fleet. The fleet leader invites other captains to join their fleet using the pre-existing "crew" button. If the player invited is sailing onboard a ship where they are captain, they receive a fleet invite. The maximum number of ships in one fleet is 4, meaning the maximum number of players in a single fleet is 48 (4 crews).

When a captain accepts a fleet invite, all crewmembers aboard are automatically members of the fleet and are able to converse in fleet chat. The chat is color-coded to show which ship you are aboard.

The fleet list contains the color-coded names of the ships in the fleet as opposed to the names of the captains. The list is displayed to the right of the crew list. To the right of each ship name is an arrow icon which expands to show a list of players on a specific ship. Clicking on a ship name from the fleet list will open up the ships player card. Being in a fleet rewards all fleet-members with an extra 2.5% rep boost per fleet ship (max 10% rep boost).

If two or more members of a crew decide to sail into the high-seas on their own ships, the crew automatically divides itself into a fleet with two ships. However, a lot of variables such as the crew leaders response to the fleet request, the limit of ships in a fleet, and more have to be taken into account. This part would be problematic in-game and very difficult to implement due to some of the reasons highlighted previously (and more).

Visual examples of shipcards

i love it

definitely dig that.

A couple of way this could be implemented. One is adding the option to the Pirate Card. And it could be a simple as listing the ship's name, type and custom class without much more detail.

Or.

You could have a Ship Card independent of the Pirate Card that comes up by clicking on the ship when passing at sea.

definitely dig that.

A couple of way this could be implemented. One is adding the option to the Pirate Card. And it could be a simple as listing the ship's name, type and custom class without much more detail.

Or.

You could have a Ship Card independent of the Pirate Card that comes up by clicking on the ship when passing at sea.
Personally, I prefer the second option. The shipcards should appear when a ship is clicked on at sea. Now that I think of it, there's no need to see shipcards when on-land, the simple pre-existing layout (showing the player and listing the ship's name only) should appear when a pirate is on-land (with perhaps extra details like whose ship it is and the amount of people on board + any skill levels).

@Sky Kiwi

Yep. The only sensible choice is to have the ship you're currently sailing show up when clicked on in the high-seas. Also I'd like to clarify how it would be used upon clicking on and opening below.

What sailors CAN do:
  • Observe ship captain, find out their level
  • Observe ships stats and upgrades
  • Find out how many shipmates are aboard the ship
  • Find out how much cargo the ship is carrying
What sailors CAN'T do:
  • Whisper to foreign ship captains
  • Invite ship captains to fleet
  • Invite ship captains to Guild
What captains CAN do:
  • Everything sailors CAN do, ship captains CAN.
  • Whisper to foreign ship captains (provided that their privacy toggle is off)
  • Invite ship captains to fleet (provided that their privacy toggle is off)
  • Invite ship captains to Guild (provided that their privacy toggle is off)

I could care less about a background. I would rather have the issues list resolved before I would even consider these nice to haves.

@badronabus You said this same comment just a moment ago on another thread about player cards by Darkslinger. This section of the forums is "Suggestions and Ideas" which is exactly what this is, a suggestion for how later on the game could be upgraded even more.

The dev crew have stated that they intend to work hard to get TLOPO back to the state that POTCO was in when it closed, or even better before they will shift their focus to implementing new ideas into the game.

I could care less about a background. I would rather have the issues list resolved before I would even consider these nice to haves.
I replied to you on the thread you initially posted in, but forget to mention this.

A lot of time and effort is put into creating and sharing ideas with others. So please be respectful and think twice before copy-pasting your insulting "I could care less about [INSERT HERE]" replies across everyones suggestion threads.

I have another ideal for the Fleet System... I call it Strategic Fleet Formation.
So you know about how treasure fleets are in a formation right? what if they had that option for the fleet crew? Anyone can decide to activate or deactivate it and with permissions of his other ships in his fleet (if they agree to it) once activated it would kinda magnet the other ships (in the Fleet crew) into these certain positions near or around the requested ship, then those ships follow beside him and try to keep up to the same speed of the requested ship for Strategic fleet formation...

Remember the boarding screen when your just about to board a ship? It would use that same screen but for the invite to only the crewed fleet ships being requested into Strategic fleet formation..

A example of a formation.
Think of like a triangle formation surrounding the requested fleet crew ship of fleet for example.. and if they are attacked the crew ship/leader of the fleet can disable it and the the surrounding ships respond to whats happening around them.

The other ideals for formations is vertical, horizontal, square, and diamond (I got these ideals from Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventures from the GameCube version)

Oh yea the surrounding ships in the fleet crew get a notification in the middle of there screen saying Strategic formation disbanded thats when ever the fleet crew member or leader disbands the formation.

I have another ideal for the Fleet System... I call it Strategic Fleet Formation.
So you know about how treasure fleets are in a formation right? what if they had that option for the fleet crew? Anyone can decide to activate or deactivate it and with permissions of his other ships in his fleet (if they agree to it) once activated it would kinda magnet the other ships (in the Fleet crew) into these certain positions near or around the requested ship, then those ships follow beside him and try to keep up to the same speed of the requested ship for Strategic fleet formation...

Remember the boarding screen when your just about to board a ship? It would use that same screen but for the invite to only the crewed fleet ships being requested into Strategic fleet formation..

A example of a formation.
Think of like a triangle formation surrounding the requested fleet crew ship of fleet for example.. and if they are attacked the crew ship/leader of the fleet can disable it and the the surrounding ships respond to whats happening around them.

The other ideals for formations is vertical, horizontal, square, and diamond (I got these ideals from Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventures from the GameCube version)

Oh yea the surrounding ships in the fleet crew get a notification in the middle of there screen saying Strategic formation disbanded thats when ever the fleet crew member or leader disbands the formation.
Attempted sailing in a (2 - 2) formation with my guild today and failed lol. The ship upgrades differ in speed so it was annoying.

Other than that, I love your idea and it's definitely welcome.

Back