Should Disney just give up on pirates online?

Should Disney give up on pirates online?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a pretty happy customer at the moment. Yeah, the recent issues were annoying but at least they're fixed now. POTC still remains among my favorite games to play.

I say NO!

This game has so much potential left... The developers just need to learn how to unleash it. Even though this game has gone downhill throughout the past few years, it is still my all time favorite game. Disney IS facing budget cuts, so of course they are not in full force anymore. Their progress has been slowed down by the economy. Maybe it isn't possible for them at this moment to purchase and upgrade better software for their game. Much less, hire and pay workers to produce quality content.

I must admit, I do get pretty aggravated at the quality of gameplay and at how poorly their updates are released (crashing, glitches, etc)... But what keeps me playing is the community and players. These forums, Youtube, my guild, and many other sites and people keep me attached to this game. I have made many great friends here, and would hate to loose 'em all in a snap of a finger.

What would become of these forums if POTCO was shut down?? This IS after all, a POTCO fan site.

Just have patience, and maybe Disney can get back up on their feet again.

I started this game in Feb. 2008. I'm not a founder, but did start before the first anniversary. Over the years I've seen many friends come and go in the game. A couple of which were my first couple friends I ever made in POTCO. Why did they leave? Real life got busy.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the game goes in phases. Development/content phases as well as spurts of popularity/unpopularity. Not too many of us can say that we've been playing consistantly since we created our first pirate. However, those of us who can are able to recall all the changes/additions both good and bad to the game.

Everyone also needs to realize that a game is not a way of life, but an addition to it. Our real lives are more important, and meeting people in POTCO just adds to it. So, its very understandable when someone has to quit because of real life issues that can range from going to school, to finance issues, to getting a divorce. Just a couple months ago, a good friend of mine left for that very reason... he was going through a divorce and needed to take time away from the game to take care of that serious real life issue. So, just because someone is leaving, that is no reason to speculate that this game is the only reason or that its time to end.

Now, like I said above, I can remember the way the game was in the beginning. I remember back where there was a time limit for sailing, back before the Juggernaught, Behemoth, Death Omen. I remember when there were no Invasions, EITC/Navy Fleets, or QAR. I remember the original islands and caverns. So, I know that the content has gotten better. Since I've been playing they have added all the above, SVS and more.

To me only a few things point to the game going downhill. They made the Black Pearl Boss Battle too easy, they made it where enemies of lower level than your pirate will ignore you walking by (once upon a time, everything attacked you no matter what level you were), they removed the enemies on the ships which made the grape shot obsolete in SVS for a time. And yes, the lag issue has never completely been fixed.

Can they improve? Of course, but only IF we allow them to. Yes, we need to send feedback on any glitches we find that need to be fixed, and ask them to help decrease the lag problems. However this also requires us to not DEMAND new content all the time and bug them to bring it faster. If we are constantly complaining to POTCO developers that the content is getting boring and that we need something new, then they will not fix what truly needs to be fixed... Bugs and Lag.

Now, I'm not saying that I haven't asked for something new, because I have. I've personally been waiting on the next Story Chapter Quest Line to come to the game. That right there would be the ultimate addition to POTCO, and something I look forward to IF they create it. However, I'm not going to hound them for that. I want the bugs and lag to be resolved first.

Disney is a HUGE company. They create all kinds of games both online and on consoles. They cater to the customer. Pixie Hollow is for those who like Disney Faries, specifically the girls. Toontown is geared toward Teens as well as Club Penguin. POTCO was created for all aged Pirates of the Caribbean fans. The World of Cars Online I think is a failure. I have founder status on that game, but I dont like it. Its geared toward kids, I'm and adult, and there was a serious lack of promotion for that game. Personally I see that the Pirates movies promote POTCO. Fan base of movies = potential players of POTCO.

Ok, so enough of my essay here, sorry all. What we all need is perspective. Right now it seems that we're in a downhill player phase of the game. Give it a month and there will be more joining. This happens with all games.

Now, like I said above, I can remember the way the game was in the beginning. I remember back where there was a time limit for sailing, back before the Juggernaught, Behemoth, Death Omen. I remember when there were no Invasions, EITC/Navy Fleets, or QAR. I remember the original islands and caverns. So, I know that the content has gotten better. Since I've been playing they have added all the above, SVS and more.

Have some fond memories wrapped up and resurfacing just from this paragraph alone lol nicely put Kate as usual :)

Personally I see that the Pirates movies promote POTCO. Fan base of movies = potential players of POTCO.
Remembering this thread (& the 'nasty' rumor I had mentioned earlier), I just now spoke to the pirate I was told whom felt this way & she explained to me the exact same thing you are saying, Kate, concerning the support POTCO gains from the movies shown. It makes perfect sense if you think about it...

Problem I forsee is just how long will people support this pirate mania (or 'fade') that has taken hold? People are finicky & interests do change unfortunately...over time.

It was mentioned to me also (which confirmed my suspicions) that POTCO game play is being further strung along on outdated software. If this is proven to be true, such "insistance" would be detrimental to POTCO, long term success.

I do hope this game thrives. Already, two Disney games aren't being successful. If any of you have heard, World of Cars is also closing in February. (Though I'm not entirely surprised. The movie wasn't that good so I guess it didn't attract much people.)

What this game needs is more bug fixes. The sooner fixed, the more the content can be fun for everyone. Disney can't have a buggy game with large content. Just like anything in POTCO, every time they release an update, a new bug comes with it. What I say is that if Disney listens to players, they can find out what the people want for content. I just wish Disney would focus more on the bugs, though. I don't mind new content, but honestly there are bugs that should've been fixed a long time ago like...

-Swift Foot Glitch (do we really need to mention this one?)

-PvP Glitch

-"God" Glitch (don't know if it's really fixed yet)

I could list a lot more, but you get my point. Like Leo said, we need to give feedback to the developers for the game's greater good. Fun or not, glitches aren't supposed to happen. I'm pretty sure jumping into thin air over Jack Sparrow wasn't meant to be implemented into the game. This game can survive if it releases its full potential. There's only two key ingredients it needs: The players' feedback and the game developers. The developers need to listen to what we want, not what they THINK we want. Do all of this, and this game can be the best anyone can make it.
pvp glitch is fine with me considering im in it almost all the time :D

Remembering this thread (& the 'nasty' rumor I had mentioned earlier), I just now spoke to the pirate I was told whom felt this way & she explained to me the exact same thing you are saying, Kate, concerning the support POTCO gains from the movies shown. It makes perfect sense if you think about it...

Problem I forsee is just how long will people support this pirate mania (or 'fade') that has taken hold? People are finicky & interests do change unfortunately...over time.

It was mentioned to me also (which confirmed my suspicions) that POTCO game play is being further strung along on outdated software. If this is proven to be true, such "insistance" would be detrimental to POTCO, long term success.

The only examples I can give you are the following:
Lord of the Rings Online - game came out as a result of the 3 movies. There were only 3 movies made a few years back and the game is still thriving.
Star Wars - How many games have been made off of this franchise? There are at least 2 online games that I'm aware of. These movies have been completed for a few years now and yet they just made another online game based off of the Saga. And still to be released in the theaters this Feb will be Episode I in 3D.

Now, we know for sure that there are talks and most likely will be another Pirates movie. Title is still yet to be released and probably because they have not finished the story line... though I did see a thread here about it being leaked. My argument is this: there will always be a fan base for these movies and this game. Those of us, myself included, who truly love both will continue to be here. I'm a Star Wars nut, some of you know this, but I chose POTCO over the online Star Wars games. Probably because the golden age of pirates fascinates me more.

Yes there are finicky people and I dont expect those people to stick around as long as I have. However, that is part of the player phases that this game goes through. Some people lose interest and move on, but there will be another group of people who will replace them in the game, and there will always be us Pirates who will continue to be here through it.

The outdated soft ware is something that I've heard about also, and if its true, this should be fixed. Would solve so many lag and bug problems and allow the game to go to another level.

There is still SO much that can be done with POTCO, as many others said. This is the reason Pirates Forums started too! I love the game so much even through its ups and downs. I would never want to see this game be closed down. Even though it's a little far behind on the quality of content and such compared to other games these days, I would rather put up with that than completely quit playing or see the game go under. It's not like they have no ideas left. There is so much that they could add to the game to make it better. Even we, as the players, have ideas that they could put into action. I don't believe the story line is dead yet. Perhaps they need more money or something. Who knows?- since I do not work there. With more pirate movies, people start to say, "Oh, this is getting old now, are they going to become another Harry Potter?". Well, if they would just make more interesting story lines to capture the modern-day people, then that would bring more people to the game which = more players which = more money which = more content which = more people...etc. This game is not dead yet- it's basically up to them to make it better- and us, to give support. The problem is that many people will give up on a game quickly because they know there are more games out there which will make them happier(maybe). BUT, if everyone sees POTCO trying really hard and such (creating new content, fixing glitches etc.) there will be an influx of players who want to come back or join for the first time. This game is not like others. It has a storyline very unique- it's not about killing aliens or zombies, or slaying dragons like most games. This game is here to make people happy, provide a place to escape life's problems, and relax. I love this game and I believe it has a lot of room for improvement. "Patience is a virtue". It will take time to fix problems. Everyone just has to "hang in there".

I'm not yet ready to retire from the game and turn in my cutlass. :) :arrrrr:

I completely agree with Gas above - they do need to fix the errors - and PLEASE fix the Cannon Defense disconnects - my pet peeve with this game. I should have gotten the Rev and Steel rams long ago but because I dc after an hour or hour and a half, I cannot get that far ( yes I have tried low graphics - and it helps - but when the other members of your team are also disconnecting, the team is doomed to fail )

It does scare me that they are closing Cars. Disney is about making money - so as long as they are making money with Pirates they will continue. If they begin to lose money - they will close it. It's just that simple.

I do hope the game continues as my digital family is here on this game. It would be sad to see us lose one another. I'm glad that we at least have a guild site where we can communicate outside the game and we have forums such as this where we can also discuss things - but if the game were to close eventually these sites will lose their appeal.

Even though I'm through with the game, I say they should not close it. Most of the issues of lag, lack of good updates, bad graphics, etc. come from the fact that the game runs on old software. If you're game is compatible with old dino box comps., it's time you change...
- A lot of people have many friends in-game that are like family. If the game were to close, that would ruin most of the friendships people have acquired in POTCO.
- Also - how many other pirate games are out there that people of nearly all ages can play, but the game still have at least some potential? IMO, not many. POTBS is a good pirate game, yes, but it is for the older age groups considering it's realism. (Which, if you're younger, that could get pretty boring I'd imagine)

I never wish anything to close or shut-down because even though it's not the best game, but look at the main target for marketing people... its for kids mainly. I also don't want this game to go down because I don't people to lose their jobs, and that's why I say NO! But as said before there's MASSIVE room for improvement.

If potco went away i wasted my entire summer addicted to this game..... PLS NEVER LEAVE POTCO!!!!!!!!!
does disney ever delete games like potco? hmm...

Actually yes Jason. I played a game that I was so in love with and actually a Founder for a separate forums for the game (some what like this one actually LOL). It was called VMK (a.k.a. Virtual Magic Kingdom) I truly LOVED this game with all my heart and even if it came back I would pay to play it because the LOVE I had for that game. If you want Google it or Youtube it its sure to pop up! But have your guard up because Disney could see that this games revenue isn't the best and think it requires to much and its just not worth it.. so just in-case be ready.

Take a look from this perspective: The Walt Disney Company (Disney enterprises umbrella company, or I am going to refer it as "Disney" on my post) is not a Ubisoft Entertainment or Bethesda Softworks. It is not only an interactive entertainment company/game developer. It is huge, and the Disney Interactive Media Group (DIMG) where Disney Potco sits (and also other Disney games), is just a small part of the entire Disney group.
http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/overview.html

That is the reason Potco does not get as much portion of the funding as we think it should. It's a small branch of a big tree; the 'food' for the tree has to be divided into many different branches. The branches that grow big and healthy will get more food, and the branches that look dying will get trimmed.

The thing is, that I agree with voices here that Potco has a lot of potentials. It takes management decision (the tree trunk) to see that, and to decide they can supply for 'food' (read: funding) to make this branch - that is not dying - to grow bigger and healthier. I would not in million years imagine - logically - that Potco would reach the level comparable to Assassin's Creed (from Ubisoft), or Skyrim (from Bethesda). Disney just would not do that; the entire corporation is not geared towards that, and they have their money maker companies that they pay attention to more.

However, considering that this Potco was released in conjunction with the successful movie sequels, at least they could - should have - benchmark(ed) with other brand; in this case Star Wars: The Old Republic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic
Star Wars is propriety of Lucas Art (the movie producer). And - smartly - they work collaboratively with BioWare (game developer company). So Lucas Art provides the fundings, BioWare provides the talents, and they become the "beautiful symphony" of gaming creation, that consumers would not mind paying, and in return, getting a good game - content and quality.

The 'million dollar question': Why can't decision makers of Disney learn from other's strategy?

Quoting Steve Jobs - the visionary of Apple - "It is not that important to be the first, but to be the best is."
From business standpoint, it is ok to 'copy' (not steal) other's ideas and strategies, as long as we make it better. That's what benchmarking is about. So, if decision makers of Disney were willing to see that Potco has a lot of potentials, they could have poured out some fundings ... and either look for other game developer as a business partner, or create a serious team of game developers inside the DIMG for Potco.

Lags, bugs, glitches, are all instability of design; good IT teams should be able to resolve this. However, if they are not backed up with funding to expand the technology side of it (changing servers, game platform, etc.), I would think there is only so much smart ppl could do. They have to be given the tools (monetary side) to execute that, because I believe it's easy to find smart enough ppl to work for them (let's send Davy Darkrage there ... I believe he can handle it; we have seen this Pirates Forums website very stable, if we were promised maintenance for duration of time, it was always successful within that time frame and no major bugs happening :cool: ), if the tools are all there to be utilized.

So, NO ... Disney should not just give up on Potco. All it takes is an eye opening; that this game is worth to keep and develop further to its full potential. Do it right, and the customers will pay.

As far as the existence of this Forums and all members as an online family; they are worth to keep, of course. But without the game, the reason and purpose of existence will degrade. And I'd hate to see that happened.

... on second thought, I wouldn't volunteer Davy to work for Disney (Potco), even though they'd decided to pour some serious funding and reform the team, thus better the game ... what would we do in the Forums without Davy ... :confused:

Disney just needs to find the problem then fix it, then TA DA its all done. What steps might be needed before could be hiring new staff members closing Disney for a bit or cutting back on the updates for awhile. I just hope Disney can get back up onto the feet.

...BUT, if everyone sees POTCO trying really hard and such (creating new content, fixing glitches etc.) there will be an influx of players who want to come back or join for the first time. This game is not like others. It has a storyline very unique- it's not about killing aliens or zombies, or slaying dragons like most games. This game is here to make people happy, provide a place to escape life's problems, and relax. I love this game and I believe it has a lot of room for improvement. "Patience is a virtue". It will take time to fix problems. Everyone just has to "hang in there".
I'm not yet ready to retire from the game and turn in my cutlass. :) :arrrrr:

Very well stated, Zia...:iagree:...*I strongly agree & bolded a few lines above within your statement as a reminder to all of us. "Thank you!"

Now, while I don't agree with Disney giving up on POTCO, I did hear a "nasty" rumor from a close friend of mine on the game (whom heard it from a 'mutual' friend) that POTCO was ending in 2013.

As I said, this is just a rumor ONLY but...such news does make me want to ask this mutual friend I mentioned exactly why she feels this way.

*Really though...how could anyone be able to predict Disney's future plans for POTCO unless they themselves hear about it from a credible source.
I had a friend that kind of said the same thing. But it was about the fanbase going away in two years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back