Should Disney just give up on pirates online?

Should Disney give up on pirates online?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would like this game to continue for a long time...only wish that if you have access to test server you were able to take to it your high level pirate so you can test everything there....but thats just me ...hard to leval in regular time in live server ..no time to level in test .

Disney better do something before this game fails, but that's just my opinion. Disney has done a lot of things that bother me, and have weak customer service and weak moderation systems. I bet there are lots of people who would disagree with me perhaps because they haven't played long enough, or they just feel all the things I call "flaws" in PotCO are "successes" to them.

thats the worst idea ive ever heard. LOL
Corey, there's no need to puke on other's ideas in a negative way. It would be much nicer to state that you dislike his idea, and give your reasonable explanation as to why you feel that way, instead of laughing at his ideas.

I posted earlier in the thread but now i would like to expand. Some stuff may have been mentioned by others as well. I will separate this in different categories. I also might refer to the developers or those who make the decisions as Disney.

Funds/Economy. A big misconception by many players. Most of the game developing is supposed to be done prior to release for the open public. This is also the time that the game gets funds from the owner. All additions to a game after the release are to maintain the game and progress. All this however has to be done with money profited from the game or else the owner would be losing money therefore close the game. Everyone has a good idea of today's economy. But using this as an excuse is pretty much a false statement because if POTCO's(or any game's) satisfaction remains high than no one would cease to pay for it. The big problem with POTCO that i think has had the long term effect and led to the games man downs is the budget prior to public release. Due to the lack of enough funds in the early days might have resulted in using a very basic software and weak servers that make it difficult to maintain good gaming environment.

Content. Check at the release notes and plug in the results over the years in a chart. You will notice that it is at a dropping rate. A lot saw 2011 as a great year but that was mainly due to Ship customization, an update that belonged to 2011 for less than a month. A lot also say that POTCO added something that players really wanted that also being ship customization. But players asked for this as early as 2008. This was also mentioned years ago in the developers interviews. So was it because we wanted it so much or was it because it was: one, on their to do list for the future already late; and two, something necessary for a pirate game? I have seen players thank Disney as if this was a just asked and it was added like a quick response to POTCO. No! this came so late, most of the players that probably asked first and wanted to experience this quit years ago. i have also noticed that the content plan is to focus in one specific thing per year. Example: 2010 was almost all land update. 2011 was almost all sea updates. Whats wrong with this? Different players might be attracted more to either one therefore one side of players has to wait a year to enjoy the game. In my opinion the game should spread content throughout the year equally in all aspects of the game.

Lag/Servers/software/Bugs. Everyone has been at least one time part of the notorious lag in POTCO. POTCO is a mmo game however trying to do any massive multiplayer event and you will suffer more than feel comfort. The whole point of these types of games are to get together with friends and have fun together. The servers are so weak in POTCO that one can claim to crash it. One aspect of the game is able to crash it(as it happened recently on test and live). Small capacity and unable to hold too many(enough) players in it. Linked to this is also the very well compatible software/engine however a very basic software that lacks much development in it. This is also a software at no cost for Disney. The high graphics are more for show than play with them. Even at high graphics, the graphic quality cannot be compared to other 'good' mmo games. This game is compatible with windows 2000, requires 700 mb disc space and 512 mb RAM. What modern computer lacks these? The minimum requirements show how good the game software/engine is. Bugs have always been a problem. Yes, some will claim to never have been interrupted by a bug/glitch but that's very rare and doubtful. The worst issues with this is that players send bug reports however many problems do not make it to the known issues list. That shows us that our feedback is not even acknowledged. So if that's happening, how are we supposed to trust them to fix what needs to be fixed?

Potential/Patience. I can easily say that this game is blessed by being a realistic as well as a fantasy MMO. The game is also backed up with the movies. So I and i think no one can disagree that this game has perhaps more potential than any other game. There can be so much stuff added yet production lacks. Pirates is a very attractive idea for gamers if it would be well developed to it's 'full' potential. Again, there are those who argue that Patience is the answer. Years of patience lack in real life. How can years of patience be excepted in a game. Saying that be patience for the second story quest will come is probably the most ridiculous statement. A second story quest should have been added at least 2 years ago. So, is 2 years not enough patience taking in consideration that you have been playing since near the game release? Was ship customization and achievement of patience or a very delayed addition? If it takes more than a year for POTCO to fix the Swift foot glitch which has been around for at least 1 year, than that shows that patience is out of the door. But lest say patience is not a problem and the players are telling Disney to be patient with the Update. This happened a lot while Ship Customization was on Test. A lot tried to say be patient and finish the Job Disney. What happened? The update was added...crashed game for a few days, added new [known] bugs and fixed no old ones. So in this case who should be patient, the players or Disney?

Expectations. Another thing i find absurd is how many keep the lowest of the low expectation from Disney. Lets use a different scenario for this. This also connects with Patience. So lets say there was a kid doing bad as in just passing in school but to his parents he acts like he is failing. When this kid just passes the class with minimum grades, the parents will cheer him because they expected less and find passing good enough . Disney is doing fairly to poor as a game industry however so many players have lowered their expectations that when they are moving at a very slow rate similar to a just passing the class, a good amount of players will act satisfied and cheer them up and disregard all other matters. If we the customers lower our expectations for the developers and the game we pay to play, than why would they try to do a good job when when they just get payed to work and still find the majority satisfied by this manipulative, fair to poor work...

Every story has two side mates. One side however will have more truth than the other. All aspects must be acknowledged in a situation like this. In my opinion, POTCO's past has enough proof to say which side contains more truth in it and even foretell some of the future. POTCO is the first and last MMO that i think i will ever play. I wish that eventually it will become better as a game and that there will be a time where players will actually enjoy POTCO for a good game that it can be whether i will be playing or not.

With that, i conclude this long story.
Leo.

Now, while I don't agree with Disney giving up on POTCO, I did hear a "nasty" rumor from a close friend of mine on the game (whom heard it from a 'mutual' friend) that POTCO was ending in 2013.

As I said, this is just a rumor ONLY but...such news does make me want to ask this mutual friend I mentioned exactly why she feels this way.

*Really though...how could anyone be able to predict Disney's future plans for POTCO unless they themselves hear about it from a credible source.
I hope not but i can see it happening. They really need to get some PR guys in to tell them what they have to fix things.

I posted earlier in the thread but now i would like to expand. Some stuff may have been mentioned by others as well. I will separate this in different categories. I also might refer to the developers or those who make the decisions as Disney.

Funds/Economy. A big misconception by many players. Most of the game developing is supposed to be done prior to release for the open public. This is also the time that the game gets funds from the owner. All additions ...........

With that, i conclude this long story.
Leo.
Well said Leo! I totally agree with you. Too little too late.

Reactions: LEO
Probably the people who quit will come back if there was a second chapter.
Second chapter for the story quest... new treasure map... maybe a new type of quest that hasnt been done before...
like in Raven's cove when you had to fish and make potions!

Funds/Economy...Due to the lack of enough funds in the early days might have resulted in using a very basic software and weak servers that make it difficult to maintain good gaming environment.
Content...I have seen players thank Disney as if this was a just asked and it was added like a quick response to POTCO. No! this came so late, most of the players that probably asked first and wanted to experience this quit years ago.........

Leo.

I wanted to "go on the record" here & reiterate some very good points you had made, Leo. :iagree: You have said a lot of insightful things within the past & this recent effort you have made, is no exception...my friend. Thank Ye, mate!

Pirates online is a money maker for them (not as much as the parks) but i heard that the game pulled in 2 million in 09, and 4 mill in 2010 don't know how reliable it is but i wouldn't throw a stick at it :p

Pirates online is a money maker for them (not as much as the parks) but i heard that the game pulled in 2 million in 09, and 4 mill in 2010 don't know how reliable it is but i wouldn't throw a stick at it :p
Since Disney is a multi-billion (possibly even close to trillions, the Disney family is in the elite) dollar company, the millions aren't as important. Not saying they won't take the millions, but it's not that much to them. So, if they get rid of POTCO, it won't really affect them very much.

Since Disney is a multi-billion (possibly even close to trillions, the Disney family is in the elite) dollar company, the millions aren't as important. Not saying they won't take the millions, but it's not that much to them. So, if they get rid of POTCO, it won't really affect them very much.
Ill take it off there hands :D (the money part)

they need to pay more attention to it and update there servers there running it on, otherwise yea i think they should give up on it if there not gonna keep up with it

Actually, you'd be amazed how much it could affect them. If you got lets say 4 million dollars every year for 5 years. Then all of sudden you stopped getting it. Anything you've upgraded using that money, that needs to be continuously payed will have to be shut down, and there would be a major budget cut for you. Same with them. Even though Millions don't seem like much compared to Billions, it would make a big difference if they lost it. And see all I think they need to do to bring in more money from the game (Which is most of what Disney cares about, if not all they care about) is simply Listen to the Players. We Pay their bills with our subscriptions. We are the ones keeping the game alive. We are the ones who's opinions matter. We should be the decision makers when it comes to the well being of the game. And if they would listen to us, ask us what we would like to see in the game, and most importantly Fix All of the Bugs and Glitches! The game would be much better off, and much more profitable for them.

I think they need to follow they footsteps of POTBS. They will rack millions if they did a revamp. Plus I don't give them any sympathy because they have been consistently strong at Wall Street, so why cut the Digital Media group if they are opening stores and getting a lot of money? Disney you have money and a lot, put more effort in your games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back