Site FeedBack

Optigreen

Honorable Pirate
I enjoy the site, and I love that we can all reflect on our memories here. With that said, It is in my opinion that we do not need some of the categories that we have. Like POTCO Loot, etc. I am not sure of how you are running the server to host the site, but I feel that if you are paying for storage you should look at cutting down some of the categories.

I hope you like, or think about my idea.

Thank you for the great site!

@Optigreen Sorry for the late reply. The forums are self-hosted (that is, I host them on a Debian box). We have (more than) sufficient resources to sustain them.

Also, text really doesn't take up that much space. The entire content of posts is less than 500mb. Attachments (images and the like) take the majority of space (Dozens of GB).. but again the server has plenty of disk space. And since I manage it myself it's rather inexpensive at this point, prices have come down dramatically since the forums first began.

Nevertheless I do appreciate your concern for the well-being of the forums.

Hope you are well!

@Optigreen Sorry for the late reply. The forums are self-hosted (that is, I host them on a Debian box). We have (more than) sufficient resources to sustain them.

Also, text really doesn't take up that much space. The entire content of posts is less than 500mb. Attachments (images and the like) take the majority of space (Dozens of GB).. but again the server has plenty of disk space. And since I manage it myself it's rather inexpensive at this point, prices have come down dramatically since the forums first began.

Nevertheless I do appreciate your concern for the well-being of the forums

Hope you are well!

What about electricity and internet costs? Are those relatively high? Low? Are they stabl;e or do they fluctuate extremely? I host a file server so I kinda get it but it must be very electric/internet intensive for the amount of traffic this site recieves.

Apologies for the confusion, I didn't mean self-hosted in that sense. Just in that we don't use a traditional LAMP web-host. The forums are hosted on a cloud server (VPS) where the hardware resides in an actual data center. Our provider doesn't bill for electricity/bandwidth, but both are pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Apologies for the confusion, I didn't mean self-hosted in that sense. Just in that we don't use a traditional LAMP web-host. The forums are hosted on a cloud server (VPS) where the hardware resides in an actual data center. Our provider doesn't bill for electricity/bandwidth, but both are pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Ah thanks for the clarification.

Back