Skill Points

DeadMetal

Dockworker
Hi all my friends & I have gotten hooked on pirates. Having very little experience with this type of game we were hoping someone could help guide us through spending our skill points (some of my friends play a game called wow which leads them to believe that where u spent points is extremely important ) can anyone link us to some kind of guide. Or perhaps even just post some tips or Do's & Dont's (any advice would be greatly appreciated)

Thank you for your time. Wayne, Kev, Kyle & Darren

Hey there, you might want to check out this thread - I think its useful :)
https://piratesforums.co/threads/effective-unlimited-access-skills.8764/#post-144820
and this one:
https://piratesforums.co/threads/effective-skill-point-placing-for-basic-and-unlimited.6944/

Personally I arrange my skills like this, if that helps:

Sword

Hack : 1
Slash : 5
Cleave : 5
Flourish : 5
Thrust: 5
Parry : 5
Endurance : 5

Gun

Shoot : 5
Take Aim : 5
Lead Shot : 1
Silver Shot : 5
Steel Shot : 5
Sharp Shooter : 5
Eagle Eye : 5

Cannon

Shoot: 5
Round Shot: 5
Thunderbolt: 5
Explosives: 5
Fury: 5
Rapid Reload: 5
Barrage: 5

Sailing

Windcatcher: 5
Tacking: 5
Treasure Sense: 5
Open Fire: 5*
Left Broadside: 2*
Right Broadside: 2*
Full Sail: 3*

*Depends on the way you sail and the Ship Upgrades you have

Dagger

Cut: 4
Swipe: 4
Gouge: 4
Eviscerate: 4
Viper's Nest: 5
Finesse: 5
Blade Instinct: 5

Grenade

Throw: 2
Long Volley: 5
Siege Charge: 5
Determination: 5
Demolition: 5
Toughness: 3
Ignore Pain: 5

Staff

Blast: 1
Flaming Skull: 5
Banish: 5
Concentration: 5
Spirit Lore: 5
Conservation: 5
Spirit Mastery: 5

Doll

Attune: 5
Focus: 5
Spirit Ward: 5
Life Drain: 5
Cure: 5
Heal: 5
Swarm: 2
Grave Shackles: 2

I hope that helps and I didn't miss anything :D
*OH and note that the way I wrote the skills aren't for Basics and mostly when you have already Mastered.EDIT: you can always retrain if you aren't satisfied with your skill points, and you can always unlock new abilities that help you lvl faster and then just retrain when you master that weapon - I just don't do it cuz im lazy trying to get gold later :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead Metal,
Spending your skill points allows you to customize your pirate. Each unlocked skill can be upgraded to 5 for unlimited access but you only get 1 point for each weapon level up to level 30. I was given a couple pieces of advice that were very useful.

1. Spend skills points on the passive skills like increased cannon reload speed and increased health points. The passive skills can help you all the time while an active skill like sweep are only useful if you hit a button. Some passive weapons skills can help all the time like increased health recovery rate.

2. Fill the active skills later.

3. If you don't like your skill placement, you can always go to a trainer in a shop to reset skills. It is cheap initially and gets more expensive each time to reset your skills.

4. Many pirates have favorite skills and place more points on those skills. If there is a weaker skill that you will not use, do not waste a single point on that skill. You can see in Irene's post that she has several skills with 0 points. I am the same way.

Good luck Mates

Thanks very much for the replies (the 5 of us appreciate it. & also I maybe shouldbe mentioned that we are all subscribed :) I've been doing some searching and noticed that some people go full broadside (some just focus one side) & others don't bother with them at all. Is it just down to personal prefferance?

Thanks again for replying

Thanks very much for the replies (the 5 of us appreciate it. & also I maybe shouldbe mentioned that we are all subscribed :) I've been doing some searching and noticed that some people go full broadside (some just focus one side) & others don't bother with them at all. Is it just down to personal prefferance?

Thanks again for replying

Entirely yep. I never use up my skills on broads but my buddy has 5 points on the right one. Depends on your sailing techniques :pirate ship:

Sailing is the one skill where I really wish we could add another 10 skill points. You need to choose both your strengths and weaknesses. When sailing primarily alone you need stronger broadsides. If you want to use skill points in other places, you could choose just one side and only fight from that side or use weaker broadsides.

It is more about sailing style than preference. I sail through enemy areas and use both sides while others circle around using mostly one side. I have max 5 on both sides. The drawback is that my speed and broadside reload are not maxed.

Keep in mind that some sailing skills can be improved through items like sea globe, charts, rams and charms.

Sailing is the one skill where I really wish we could add another 10 skill points. You need to choose both your strengths and weaknesses. When sailing primarily alone you need stronger broadsides. If you want to use skill points in other places, you could choose just one side and only fight from that side or use weaker broadsides.

It is more about sailing style than preference. I sail through enemy areas and use both sides while others circle around using mostly one side. I have max 5 on both sides. The drawback is that my speed and broadside reload are not maxed.

Keep in mind that some sailing skills can be improved through items like sea globe, charts, rams and charms.

Having a friend who used to work as a programmer in Disney I know that charts don't work at all. They don't do the things they show, they only make your full sail recharge faster - so don't count on them. Idk about globes and charms are the same as the charts. Only rams work - Better stick to Cannon Defense and get a good rev and phantom :) - depends on your ship upgrade

Tip: I always upgrade my round shots, attune doll, drain health, and blade storm to 5 points. The same thing applies to broadsides and regular infinite cannon shots. That way, you have more room for gold and more loot rather than replenishing your ammo within a loot container.

Back