Skull runs

Steevo0250

Swashbuckler
My guild, (Ocean Rage) has recently begun attempting Skull chest runs. We made it to 12 skulls on board my war brig last night. We have however, the on going problem with other player ships attacking and sinking our "crippled" hunters and warships. Now I understand that not all captains are going to know why that SOL is there and not moving, or a hunter following another ship has no sails and is not being fired on. What we need is ship to ship chat. We have gone to different servers with very low populations, but there seems to be at least one ship out there hunting for materials.
It's not that big a deal to have your hunters or warships destroyed, but if we could talk to another (or several) captains out on the sea and let them know our purpose we could bring back another fun event while out at sea. Anyone agree?

If you destroy the sails of your hunter and warship far off in the distance they will fall so far behind nobody will be able to follow you and sink them. It also helps as you wont have them in the way of your broads.

My guild, (Ocean Rage) has recently begun attempting Skull chest runs. We made it to 12 skulls on board my war brig last night. We have however, the on going problem with other player ships attacking and sinking our "crippled" hunters and warships. Now I understand that not all captains are going to know why that SOL is there and not moving, or a hunter following another ship has no sails and is not being fired on. What we need is ship to ship chat. We have gone to different servers with very low populations, but there seems to be at least one ship out there hunting for materials.
It's not that big a deal to have your hunters or warships destroyed, but if we could talk to another (or several) captains out on the sea and let them know our purpose we could bring back another fun event while out at sea. Anyone agree?
I'm under the impression that when you tag the ship, you still get exactly what you would have gotten whether you sunk it or not. If true, then this renders your point as moot. Otherwise, I'm not grasping your point.

However, different rules apply to flag ships as you well know.

If you destroy the sails of your hunter and warship far off in the distance they will fall so far behind nobody will be able to follow you and sink them. It also helps as you wont have them in the way of your broads.
+1
a.jpg

I'm under the impression that when you tag the ship, you still get exactly what you would have gotten whether you sunk it or not. If true, then this renders your point as moot. Otherwise, I'm not grasping your point.

However, different rules apply to flag ships as you well know.
The point is only that it’s marginally easier to do a loot run without hunters and SOTL chasing you. You can demast them and not have to worry about them for the rest of the run. I very rarely bother with that even when my intention is to do a pure loot run. I don’t think any of my runs that got more than 10 skulls involved taking out the masts of the hunters, it’s not a big deal to me. I will admit that since our ships are slower now than they were before the Windcatcher fix you have to be more careful of the Battle Royal.

I’ve never heard of getting loot off a ship that you didn’t actually sink, I’ll have to check that out.

The point is only that it’s marginally easier to do a loot run without hunters and SOTL chasing you. You can demast them and not have to worry about them for the rest of the run. I very rarely bother with that even when my intention is to do a pure loot run. I don’t think any of my runs that got more than 10 skulls involved taking out the masts of the hunters, it’s not a big deal to me. I will admit that since our ships are slower now than they were before the Windcatcher fix you have to be more careful of the Battle Royal.

I’ve never heard of getting loot off a ship that you didn’t actually sink, I’ll have to check that out.
Really? Every single mob I sail by or try to join in I get tons of stuff without sinking. Always have. But the staff fixed the bug where you could port and still get loot when a ship you tagged goes down later.

Really? Every single mob I sail by or try to join in I get tons of stuff without sinking. Always have. But the staff fixed the bug where you could port and still get loot when a ship you tagged goes down later.
Maybe what you're thinking of is when you port and go back out immediately you will get loot from ships you tagged on the previous run when others sink them? It's a small bug in that you are supposed to get a share of the loot when you did some damage to a ship and it is then sunk by someone else but not after you port and go back out.

Maybe what you're thinking of is when you port and go back out immediately you will get loot from ships you tagged on the previous run when others sink them? It's a small bug in that you are supposed to get a share of the loot when you did some damage to a ship and it is then sunk by someone else but not after you port and go back out.
I don't think so. Now, when I sail like from Torg to Kings, If I go by a mob or any ship and hit it, I always get the loot if I don't port, sometimes when I know I hit numerous, I will just anchor and wait.

No longer does loot appear after I port as I used to just stand at the dock or beach and wait as well. Nothing comes now after I get my port manifest display. I only get what was on the water at the time and only on the porting manifest.
It used to keep racking up even as I passed the marching grounds on foot.

I don't think so. Now, when I sail like from Torg to Kings, If I go by a mob or any ship and hit it, I always get the loot if I don't port, sometimes when I know I hit numerous, I will just anchor and wait.

No longer does loot appear after I port as I used to just stand at the dock or beach and wait as well. Nothing comes now after I get my port manifest display. I only get what was on the water at the time and only on the porting manifest.
It used to keep racking up even as I passed the marching grounds on foot.
Interesting, I wonder if that’s the same bug that causes you to get loot from a flagship if you disable it and then wait for it to reset rather than boarding. Of course none of this has anything to do with people being polite enough to not take free mats from a disabled hunter so that Steevo can do his loot run without hunters...

The best way I've found to do this is to actually sail to the end of the map with the Hunter and/or Warship following you, then disable them out there. It's far out on the map that (hopefully) people won't be able to find them and sink them. We did this with warships when we just wanted regular ship materials, and had ~4 disabled warships at the end of the map.

I do believe a ship to ship chat would be incredibly useful, similar to how the chat is on SVS.

Interesting, I wonder if that’s the same bug that causes you to get loot from a flagship if you disable it and then wait for it to reset rather than boarding. Of course none of this has anything to do with people being polite enough to not take free mats from a disabled hunter so that Steevo can do his loot run without hunters...
Which turns the circle back to my first response to the OP and that was it doesn't matter what happens to that hunter after he hits it or even disables it, from all input on the forums, everybody in separate ships gets exactly what they were going to get. There technically isn't any free.
This belief seems to stem from the long running complaint that people steal loot from other people. IF that happens, then that itself is a bug.

Otherwise, other than flag ships, loot isn't effected unless you didn't tag the ship. Is it possible someone can turn a ship towards them? Yes, but difficult to do when others have already been beating on those ships first. And secondly, if you already hit them, you will still get your loot when it sinks whether you did it or it got sunk by others.

So, to reiterate, if the OP had already disabled the hunter, they will still get the loot. The bigger point being, it isn't HIS hunter. He tagged it and perhaps erroneously assumes everyone else will leave it alone. That isn't how a public game works and Steevo may or may not also think any room they get into first is now THEIR room and you can't go in. Again, that's not a Tlopo rule at all, but something developed through the years that started as some sort of thought of 'nice consideration', where in reality, a person or group claiming ownership of a public area in a public game is exhibitaing conduct that could be considered inconsiderate and selfish themselves and forcing their unofficial rules on strangers, who now suddenly have to alter their game because someone 'owns' the gold room at the moment?

The more I think about this, it strikes me as another example of, no disrespect of Steevo, a player thinking they have more rights than other players. Or that people can read minds and always play the way other people tell them to play.
I've never believed this ever in open mmo's, never will and I supposed I will always rally against such shows of elitism. Again this is a general comment and not aimed at Steevo the OP. Steevo did not say this or allude to this conduct and is my opinion of a specific general playing public in most all mmo's.

Which turns the circle back to my first response to the OP and that was it doesn't matter what happens to that hunter after he hits it or even disables it, from all input on the forums, everybody in separate ships gets exactly what they were going to get. There technically isn't any free.
This belief seems to stem from the long running complaint that people steal loot from other people. IF that happens, then that itself is a bug.

Otherwise, other than flag ships, loot isn't effected unless you didn't tag the ship. Is it possible someone can turn a ship towards them? Yes, but difficult to do when others have already been beating on those ships first. And secondly, if you already hit them, you will still get your loot when it sinks whether you did it or it got sunk by others.

So, to reiterate, if the OP had already disabled the hunter, they will still get the loot. The bigger point being, it isn't HIS hunter. He tagged it and perhaps erroneously assumes everyone else will leave it alone. That isn't how a public game works and Steevo may or may not also think any room they get into first is now THEIR room and you can't go in. Again, that's not a Tlopo rule at all, but something developed through the years that started as some sort of thought of 'nice consideration', where in reality, a person or group claiming ownership of a public area in a public game is exhibitaing conduct that could be considered inconsiderate and selfish themselves and forcing their unofficial rules on strangers, who now suddenly have to alter their game because someone 'owns' the gold room at the moment?

The more I think about this, it strikes me as another example of, no disrespect of Steevo, a player thinking they have more rights than other players. Or that people can read minds and always play the way other people tell them to play.
I've never believed this ever in open mmo's, never will and I supposed I will always rally against such shows of elitism. Again this is a general comment and not aimed at Steevo the OP. Steevo did not say this or allude to this conduct and is my opinion of a specific general playing public in most all mmo's.
I think that most everything that you say here is wrong:
  1. I don’t believe that you will get loot from said hunter,
  2. The OP has nothing to do with the loot from said hunter.
  3. It’s not about who has what rights, I agree that anyone may come along and sink said hunter and that there are no rules about that, it is about civility and that is all.

What the OP is talking about is similar to what we used to do on edge of the world runs when we took out the masts on the SOL and just sank the hunters for mats. Only in this case we were taking out the masts on both the navy ship and the hunter in order to keep them off us while we filled the cargo from regular ships til we had a load of skull chests.

Back