Idea Slight Ruby and Onyx Buffs

Discussion in 'TLOPO Suggestions and Ideas' started by Mark Murlock, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Mark Murlock

Mark Murlock Buccaneer

Hey Forums!

As I've used the Ruby and Onyx Curses post-release, I've decided they may need slight buffs to make them, well, more relevant. For example, Cicatriz has higher HP than Jimmy Legs, and Jimmy gives an (arguably) better sword - so most everyday pirates cluster at Jimmy Legs. I do not mean to blatantly question past decisions when it comes to selecting the buffs for these swords, but I do think that it's hard to see how they actually perform without them being used by real pirates. So, the time has come to share this idea.

That said, I have carefully crafted each sword's possible buff, as seen below... Let me explain:

NEW_RUBY_ONYX.png
    (The cards are imperfect, yet let us visualize it)

Each sword caters towards a specific use, and each of these upgrades makes it more of what it already is.

For Ruby: Finesse Boost +4. To my knowledge, the only other item in the game with a finesse boost is Master Fencer's Sabre. It is, naturally, another sabre, seemingly for use in the quick-movements of fencing, and gets more "finesse." Finesse in TLOPO decreases cooldown time for dagger and sword skills. While not making Ruby any more powerful (by sheer strength), a considerable finesse boost could recharge Inferno Sweep and Bladestorm faster than the competition - and catch the eye of previously uninterested pirates.

For Onyx: Snare Immunity. To complement the already-existing Stun Immunity present on The Onyx Curse, Snare Immunity would allow the user to not only resist stuns, but also resist snares - making them almost impervious to being slowed down. This also complements the sword's Hurricane Slash, making this sabre a defensive weapon, and keeping with the general motif.

In my humble opinion, the best part about these buffs is that they do not change the sabre hierarchy! :thumbsup:

So, what do you guys think? Are these appropriate boosts? Would they make each sword slightly more relevant? Is there something I'm missing that would make or break these swords? Let me know below!
    (Please, if you will, keep it light-hearted!) :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. Opolpy509

Opolpy509 Wanted Pirate

Nicely edited :p

3. Bort Greasegorb

Bort Greasegorb Pirate Lord

I think Behemoth Blade needs some definition as well. As it stands, it has Dark Curse rank 3 (Nothing other swords like Krakenbane can't do), Sure Footed rank 3 (useless against 95% of enemies) and endurance rank 5, its defining feature (which only gives you a bonus ~300 hp to play with and is now part of the superior Lost Blade of Leviathan anyway). I would consider adding an offensive buff to this sword, whether a jumping slash or reverse spin cut boost just so it matches up to the other three legendary cursed broadswords' power.

Mark Murlock likes this.
  4. Beggar

Beggar Honorable Pirate

excellent idea, Mark! I've been advocating for a finesse boost for a while now.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  5. Beggar

Beggar Honorable Pirate

6. Captain Archie

YES! I love this! Onyx and Ruby really need this buff

Mark Murlock likes this.
  7. Merill

Merill Sea Legs

Great ideas! I completely agree with your changes.

Opolpy509 and Mark Murlock like this.
  8. Crashalot

Crashalot Pirate Lord

Wait, is this a lament about how the top swords aren't up to snuff?
    Hmmm...

9. Roger-Daniel

Roger-Daniel Honorable Pirate

And maybe give Sap that blue trail??

but actually these are some good points and I would love to see these implemented

Opolpy509, Beggar, DarkRose and 2 others like this.
  10. Eric Sailcutter

Eric Sailcutter Pirate Lord

11. OurGangsDarkOath

OurGangsDarkOath Notorious Pirate

They should hire you for creative ideas.

Mark Murlock likes this.
  12. Mark Murlock

Mark Murlock Buccaneer

Means a lot!

Roger-Daniel likes this.