Idea Slight Ruby and Onyx Buffs

I have the Ruby Curse, it's true her loot is generally poor but I like that and don't see why either the weapon or the boss should be changed at all.
Its currently impossible to get the sword unless you are in a medium sized group. But nobody goes there since she has way to much health compared to jimmy and drops a worse sword.

Its currently impossible to get the sword unless you are in a medium sized group. But nobody goes there since she has way to much health compared to jimmy and drops a worse sword.
I went there and there was a medium sized group there and I got the goods, I was lucky, that's the way it's supposed to be.

I disagree with your incentive to keep the stats the same. Why not make them better? In the case of jack sparrow's blade, this was absolutely necessary.
I think it is unfair to nerf someone's great weapon just because it was powerful and I think it is unfair to everyone else to buff someone's poor weapon just because it's weak. If there is a need for a more powerful weapon then just release one, it's that simple. How would you feel if your best weapon were nerfed down to like your 10th best or if the developers decided to buff a weapon that you never looked for because it was weak but suddenly it is the best in the game. I say it should only be in extreme circumstances where the developers have definitely erred that a weapon should be nerfed and that there is no reason to ever buff an existing weapon. It's all a matter of opinion but it's important to the future of the game that things are done fairly and with careful thought.

I think it is unfair to nerf someone's great weapon just because it was powerful and I think it is unfair to everyone else to buff someone's poor weapon just because it's weak. If there is a need for a more powerful weapon then just release one, it's that simple. How would you feel if your best weapon were nerfed down to like your 10th best or if the developers decided to buff a weapon that you never looked for because it was weak but suddenly it is the best in the game. I say it should only be in extreme circumstances where the developers have definitely erred that a weapon should be nerfed and that there is no reason to ever buff an existing weapon. It's all a matter of opinion but it's important to the future of the game that things are done fairly and with careful thought.
I don't like the idea of them "making a new weapon". Imagine if there were like 40 legendaries and they were all very similar with few obvious dominate weapons. I'd rather have 12 good legendaries, than a bunch of legendaries that people don't like and 1 or 2 that are deemed perfect.

I don't like the idea of them "making a new weapon". Imagine if there were like 40 legendaries and they were all very similar with few obvious dominate weapons. I'd rather have 12 good legendaries, than a bunch of legendaries that people don't like and 1 or 2 that are deemed perfect.

Its better to work with what we have, improve on it, THEN expand.

I'm certainly with you if you think the developers may have gone overboard on new weapons.

I definitely disagree. The fact that we have famed more powerful than legendary is ridiculous. The worst legendary should still be better than the best famed, and that's currently not the case.

Hey Forums!

As I've used the Ruby and Onyx Curses post-release, I've decided they may need slight buffs to make them, well, more relevant. For example, Cicatriz has higher HP than Jimmy Legs, and Jimmy gives an (arguably) better sword - so most everyday pirates cluster at Jimmy Legs. I do not mean to blatantly question past decisions when it comes to selecting the buffs for these swords, but I do think that it's hard to see how they actually perform without them being used by real pirates. So, the time has come to share this idea.

That said, I have carefully crafted each sword's possible buff, as seen below... Let me explain:

View attachment 107593
(The cards are imperfect, yet let us visualize it)

Each sword caters towards a specific use, and each of these upgrades makes it more of what it already is.

For Ruby: Finesse Boost +4. To my knowledge, the only other item in the game with a finesse boost is Master Fencer's Sabre. It is, naturally, another sabre, seemingly for use in the quick-movements of fencing, and gets more "finesse." Finesse in TLOPO decreases cooldown time for dagger and sword skills. While not making Ruby any more powerful (by sheer strength), a considerable finesse boost could recharge Inferno Sweep and Bladestorm faster than the competition - and catch the eye of previously uninterested pirates.

For Onyx: Snare Immunity. To complement the already-existing Stun Immunity present on The Onyx Curse, Snare Immunity would allow the user to not only resist stuns, but also resist snares - making them almost impervious to being slowed down. This also complements the sword's Hurricane Slash, making this sabre a defensive weapon, and keeping with the general motif.

In my humble opinion, the best part about these buffs is that they do not change the sabre hierarchy! :thumbsup:

So, what do you guys think? Are these appropriate boosts? Would they make each sword slightly more relevant? Is there something I'm missing that would make or break these swords? Let me know below!
(Please, if you will, keep it light-hearted!) :D
Just no. No buffing should be attempted on in game weapons once they're out, up or down .

I definitely disagree. The fact that we have famed more powerful than legendary is ridiculous. The worst legendary should still be better than the best famed, and that's currently not the case.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I do not see any reason that every legendary should be more powerful than every famed. Of course, in the case of similar weapons this should be the case and for the most part it is, there may be reason to think that the Black Shark Blade is more powerful that the Lost Sword of El Patron which is the only example I can think of off hand. In the case of the sabres mentioned in this thread; they are both more powerful than even the, by far most powerful famed, Ice Shard which is new and probably a tad OP but I would not argue to nerf it just because it is coming close to legendary power.

I would more like to argue that legendaries should have unique special abilities that can't be found on other weapons and that TLOPO has lost sight of that. Many of the new legendaries have only got buffed versions of abilities that are on many other weapons. I don't want TLOPO to change those weapons they have released though, I want them to consider that moving forward for any new legendaries they may be planning.

Last edited:
I'm a bit torn in this regard, I agree that we don't want 40 similar legendaries and do think the developers have gone overboard on releasing new legendaries but do think there is room for new legendaries and that new content for high lvl players is a good idea. I wish that all the new weapons were more unique than they are and think that the release of new legendaries should coincide with new areas to explore and new enemies, as Forsaken Shallows was. I understand the motivation for the other two weapons releases: Hollowed Woods was not interesting to high lvls the second year around and The Watcher was particularly horrid the first year; and to improve the popularity of the old bosses the release of 4 more is understandable if not super well executed, I'd have preferred that they all be available at all bosses outside Menta and RC with the more powerful bosses having higher drop rates than the weaker ones. I see no reason for the Silver Striker other than winter celebration which, imo, is not enough for justification.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I do not see any reason that every legendary should be more powerful than every famed. Of course, in the case of similar weapons this should be the case and for the most part it is, there may be reason to think that the Black Shark Blade is more powerful that the Lost Sword of El Patron which is the only example I can think of off hand. In the case of the sabres mentioned in this thread; they are both more powerful than even the, by far most powerful famed, Ice Shard which is new and probably a tad OP but I would not argue to nerf it just because it is coming close to legendary power.

I would more like to argue that legendaries should have unique special abilities that can't be found on other weapons and that TLOPO has lost sight of that. Many of the new legendaries have only got buffed versions of abilities that are on many other weapons. I don't want TLOPO to change those weapons they have released though, I want them to consider that moving forward for any new legendaries they may be planning.
Also, realize ones idea whats weak is anothers idea of strong. Some people think certain buffs are better/stronger than others. So, a lot of this debate can be subjective in nature. Not to be considered factual.

Back