Solar Eclipse tomorrow August 21, 2017!!

Punkin Pie

Pirate Lord
Tomorrow, Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America
will be treated to an eclipse of the sun.
Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most
awe inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse.
This path, where the moon will completely cover the sun
and the sun's tenuous atmosphere - the corona - can be seen,
will stretch from Salem, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina.
Observers outside this path will still see a partial solar eclipse
where the moon covers part of the sun's disk.

eclipestages.png

NASA created this website: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
to provide a guide to this amazing event.

What is It?
This celestial event is a solar eclipse in which the moon passes between the sun and Earth and blocks all or part of the sun for up to about three hours, from beginning to end, as viewed from a given location. For this eclipse, the longest period when the moon completely blocks the sun from any given location along the path will be about two minutes and 40 seconds. The last time the contiguous U.S. saw a total eclipse was in 1979.

eclipsesHOW.png

Figure 3 – Diagram showing the Earth-sun-moon geometry of a total solar eclipse. Not to scale: If drawn to scale, the Moon would be 30 Earth diameters away. The sun would be 400 times that distance.

Where Can You See It?
You can see a partial eclipse, where the moon covers only a part of the sun, anywhere in North America (see “Who can see it?”). To see a total eclipse, where the moon fully covers the sun for a short few minutes, you must be in the path of totality. The path of totality is a relatively thin ribbon, around 70 miles wide, that will cross the U.S. from West to East. The first point of contact will be at Lincoln Beach, Oregon at 9:05 a.m. PDT. Totality begins there at 10:16 a.m. PDT. Over the next hour and a half, it will cross through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and North and South Carolina. The total eclipse will end near Charleston, South Carolina at 2:48 p.m. EDT. From there the lunar shadow leaves the United States at 4:09 EDT. Its longest duration will be near Carbondale, Illinois, where the sun will be completely covered for two minutes and 40 seconds.

Who Can See It?
Lots of people! Everyone in the contiguous United States, in fact, everyone in North America plus parts of South America, Africa, and Europe will see at least a partial solar eclipse, while the thin path of totality will pass through portions of 14 states.
globe_inset_v3.png

BE SAFE!! Looking directly at the sun is unsafe except during the brief total phase of a solar eclipse (“totality”), when the moon entirely blocks the sun’s bright face, which will happen only within the narrow path of totality (https://go.nasa.gov/2pC0lhe(link is external)).
They recommend you keep your pets indoors so they can't harm their eyes.

safety_3.JPG

The only safe way to look directly at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed sun is through special-purpose solar filters, such as “eclipse glasses” (example shown) or hand-held solar viewers. Homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses, even very dark ones, are not safe for looking at the sun; they transmit thousands of times too much sunlight.
Safety2.png

slide_bg_1_main_video_stream_banner.jpg

When Can You See It?
Times for partial and total phases of the eclipse vary depending on your location. This interactive eclipse map(link is external) will show you times for the partial and total eclipse anywhere in the world.

The cities listed will have the best viewing for the total solar eclipse.

**If your city isn't listed (New York for example will see 75% of the full effect) you should still be able to see a partial solar eclipse - if you're in North America and some parts of South America, Africa, and Europe - as long as the sky is clear and not cloudy.
1280px-partial_solar_eclipse_may_20_2012_minneapolis_minnesota_tlr1.jpg

I'm excited for this even though it will be a partial solar eclipse for me.
I hope you go out and see it too! :D
Are you planning to view the eclipse somewhere? :stars:

It's a rare opportunity!

Afterwards you can share any photos here as well!

Last edited:
It is, so I'd advise keeping the sunglasses on. It can also damage your phone's camera from what I've heard, but I'm not entirely sure.
I only mentioned this because the thread said it was not dangerous to look at the sun when fully eclipsed. This is likely unsafe an wanted to make sure no one did it.

It is, so I'd advise keeping the sunglasses on. It can also damage your phone's camera from what I've heard, but I'm not entirely sure.

Regular sunglasses are not good protection for viewing the solar eclipse.
"ordinary sunglasses, even very dark ones, are not safe for looking at the sun; they transmit thousands of times too much sunlight."

Is there danger of burning out your smartphone’s camera sensor? (here's some info regarding this)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/originals/ct-bsi-eclipse-photography-20170818-story.html

Be safe and enjoy! :sunny:

I only mentioned this because the thread said it was not dangerous to look at the sun when fully eclipsed.

It may be better to be safe than to be sorry and not look at totality of the eclipse without eye protection, but NASA stated, "During the short time when the moon completely obscures the sun – known as the period of totality – it is safe to look directly at the star, but it's crucial that you know when to take off and put back on your glasses."
Totality may last about 1 minute in some places.
https://www.nasa.gov/content/eye-safety-during-a-total-solar-eclipse

Just saw the eclipse here, lucky enough to be able to view it from my own house, was pretty neat. Used three pairs of welding goggles to view it in the partial eclipse, since the glasses have been sold out around here for weeks, but honestly the interesting part was the totality. Became twilight level darkness outside really quickly all of the sudden and street lights and such started turning on.
IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0065.JPG

Great pics!
It was a bit funny, the last couple seconds before totality some people had a big cloud cover and didn't get to see it at the precise moment.

We couldn't see it very well, even though they said it would be at about 75% for viewing where I am.
At the last minute we made a 'pinhole viewing thing' to attempt to see it, and it actually looked very cool from within an empty cereal box with a pinhole. It looked like a hologram moon floating inside the box.

I took a pic of it but it doesn't do it justice.
It was still fun to be part of and watch, with a mini eclipse party :cheers:
I love anything related to the universe ! :angel::happy:
eclipse thru pinhole.jpg

I took this picture through the (device sailors use to navigate using the stars) of an LC-130H cargo plane while airborne!

d51tnOX_d.jpg

oblO0ZY_d.jpg

UsyShRF_d.jpg

HN7SCkC_d.jpg

Jealous of those who saw the totality. Also disappointed the forum filters the first half of a sailors navigational tool haha

Sadly I'm way too far South to have seen anything but a sliver... So I REALLY appreciate you all posting information and pictures for the community to enjoy! Two armored thumbs up!

Two armored thumbs up!.jpg

Back