Request Something Needs to be Done About Afkers on Ships

Since I couldn't find anything about the search function about afkers and since I haven't seen a thread on them for awhile, I've decided to raise this concern once again.

I think for the most part, everyone who plays this game has a lot of love for it, to completely level up your pirate from scratch again, to persevere through the bugs, to (seemingly) max your pirate. It requires a high dedication to the game, more so than POTCO due to the xp nerf rates. But... despite a deep love for this game, some players have grown a bit bored or restless in the meantime, and have decided to jump on players ships at will, leeching materials away and receiving famed weapons with no effort at all.

Something... something desperately needs to be done about these players, a failsafe to prevent further exploitation in the future. A few ways to remedy this situation would be allowing the captain to be able to ignore players to block them from future endeavors by not allowing them back on the ship, a vote kick system for the crew, perhaps just flat out letting the captain boot people at will. What's worse... a system that can be manipulated under the correct conditions by a few people, or a system that can be manipulated at will by everyone?

From my experience playing TLOPO, which im being honest here, is only a few weeks now, there is roughly AT LEAST four afk at any time, at prime time there could by six on a normal basis. This is insane and leads to a lot of material runs being drawn out longer than they should be and infuriating that the guy in the corner gets roughly the same distribution of materials and gold you receive. The worst part is that a lot of these people are level 50, normally maxed stats across the board with the exception of potions and fishing, there clearly invested into the game. There normally out and about, talking with there guild or mocking people actually contributing to the run, they show no fear... because... there are no repercussions for such devious actions. Their needs to be ways to prevent such exploitation of the game, some self policing by the players within, a change needs to happen to combat afkers, to insight effort into the game, to prevent leeching, to reward actual contributing players.

Since I couldn't find anything about the search function about afkers and since I haven't seen a thread on them for awhile, I've decided to raise this concern once again.

I think for the most part, everyone who plays this game has a lot of love for it, to completely level up your pirate from scratch again, to persevere through the bugs, to (seemingly) max your pirate. It requires a high dedication to the game, more so than POTCO due to the xp nerf rates. But... despite a deep love for this game, some players have grown a bit bored or restless in the meantime, and have decided to jump on players ships at will, leeching materials away and receiving famed weapons with no effort at all.

Something... something desperately needs to be done about these players, a failsafe to prevent further exploitation in the future. A few ways to remedy this situation would be allowing the captain to be able to ignore players to block them from future endeavors by not allowing them back on the ship, a vote kick system for the crew, perhaps just flat out letting the captain boot people at will. What's worse... a system that can be manipulated under the correct conditions by a few people, or a system that can be manipulated at will by everyone?

From my experience playing TLOPO, which im being honest here, is only a few weeks now, there is roughly AT LEAST four afk at any time, at prime time there could by six on a normal basis. This is insane and leads to a lot of material runs being drawn out longer than they should be and infuriating that the guy in the corner gets roughly the same distribution of materials and gold you receive. The worst part is that a lot of these people are level 50, normally maxed stats across the board with the exception of potions and fishing, there clearly invested into the game. There normally out and about, talking with there guild or mocking people actually contributing to the run, they show no fear... because... there are no repercussions for such devious actions. Their needs to be ways to prevent such exploitation of the game, some self policing by the players within, a change needs to happen to combat afkers, to insight effort into the game, to prevent leeching, to reward actual contributing players.
No, quite a few threads actually.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/why-ships-need-a-boot-option.17397/

https://piratesforums.co/threads/enable-the-boot-button-to-work-outside-svs.21429/

https://piratesforums.co/threads/afk-player-boot-option.24659/

https://piratesforums.co/threads/ban-select-pirates-from-your-ship.24918/

https://piratesforums.co/threads/ways-of-dealing-with-afking-on-ships.23739/

https://piratesforums.co/threads/afk-players-on-ship-thread-is-a-joke.23133/

https://piratesforums.co/threads/afk-players-on-ships-recommendations.23083/

We need to be able to kick them / ban them off of our ships at our own discretion. A system allowing you to blacklist people from entering your ship for example would be great.

Well it seems you have a lot more skill with the search function than me matey, I tried looking for a thread in the search filters about afkers and found nothing. Regardless a lot of those posts are over a year old, with only two of those (yes I know one of them was posted on December 20th, pretty late in the year... if you want we can count that) in the current year, and that was all the way back in March. With how many people are afking now a days I think it will be a good idea to bring up a discussion about it again. Let's see if the tone changed from blaming people opening their ship to public and defending leeches to actually finding ways to circumnavigate the issues in at least a somewhat fair manner.

It would be humorous if while sailing by a "wild" island (not Cuba, Raven Cove, Tortuga, Port Royal, Kingshed, or Padres) we could maroon trouble makers.
That wouldn't be humorous. That would be hilarious. And incredibly satisfying if we can actually see them pop up there and at the same time strip all loot they may have gained while on your ship. It just defaults to the system, or resets, or even better, so people won't cry the captains are abusing by booting and keeping the loot in PVE, that the booted loot just goes away and does not go to the captain at all. Thus a captain has no motive to boot based on loot.

Also, I think there should be some boot marker that attaches to your account that only the dev's can see and they can effect punishment if warranted for miscreants and repeaters.

Yesterday I managed to board the navy collosus flagship with bounty hunters and warships after me. I had 3 leeches aboard who took quite a beating from the navy crew. We didn't kill them but I think they got the message. The punishment was 40 lashes.

The seas be no place for the lazy or the weak.

Next time there will be no mercy or quarter given.

I support the ship owner being able to remove anyone at any time for any reason. Claims that some would abuse such power are silly and only propagated by by the trolls and lazy afkers whose fun would be curtailed by such a game addition. Would you ever sail with that captain again if you felt you were booted unfairly? Really...
Odds are the leeches wouldn't even know the captains name or who booted them off.

I support the ship owner being able to remove anyone at any time for any reason. Claims that some would abuse such power are silly and only propagated by by the trolls and lazy afkers whose fun would be curtailed by such a game addition. Would you ever sail with that captain again if you felt you were booted unfairly? Really...
It also falls down to those who go AFK but not mention it in the chat and/or to the captain. If someone were to go AFK for a small time for any reason given I wouldn't kick them off if I were to do a sweep but if they do without saying anything then you can expect to be removed without a word.

This is common courtesy really.

Odds are the leeches wouldn't even know the captains name or who booted them off.

Not sure why you would think this. When you get on a ship at the dingy the captain's name is prominently displayed.

I'm increasingly convinced that the kick option won't be used all that much.

Last night I was svs on a public ship and unmentionable pirates were not repairing at all. Barely shooting at anything. Mostly getting swords out and running around the ship like loons. The captain was oblivious. White knuckling the wheel having little time to use the kick option she had at her finger tips.

People doing nothing on ships is a community problem not a game design problem. Its gonna have to be solved by the community and not through game design.

Last edited:
Not sure why you would think this. When you get on a ship at the dingy the captain's name is prominently displayed.

Last night I was svs on a public ship and unmentionable pirates were not repairing at all. Barely shooting at anything. Mostly getting swords out and running around the ship like loons. The captain was oblivious. White knuckling the wheel having little time to use the kick option she had at her finger tips.

People doing nothing on ships is a community problem not a game design problem. Its gonna have to be solved by the community and not through game design.
You're correct on many points. But hard core afk'rs don't appear to choose ships but at random, I don't believe they care who is on the ship or who is the captain, and since I believe this afk can be done almost as a bot, there's no need for them to know anything but that the ship is still afloat.

It's not a game design or fault, but putting in a deterrent and a opportunity of choice to control your own public ship is a game design that should be there.

And about that captain. I've been there, done that on my ship when I opened it to public. I do not know all that much about sailing, I don't even know shortcut keys in this game, if there are any, and when I was piloting the few times in public, I didn't even know how to check on players on my ship. I got off the wheel to shoot and repair on a full ship because no one else was repairing or shooting. The instant I left the bridge, a guy took my wheel and ran the ship to sink or rarely to ports after of course being chased by half a sea of ships. This happened EVERY TIME I opened to public. And by the way, as I've said before, IMO my ship filled up way too fast to be humanly possible. There's more scripts out there than people are talking about.

Never again.

While I only have dabbled in a few MMOs (WoW, Runescape, SWTOR, and DCUO) I have never played a game with such a total lack of control of your group as you do in TLOPO/POTCO. In any of the above mentioned games there are kick options for literally whatever reason you want, just because its open to be abused or misused doesn't mean it necessarily will all the time or that often. Of course there will be that 5% time that someone or yourself is kicked unfairly, but the other 95% of the time people are kicked is stuff like afking, ninja looting, some form of trolling, or occasionally kicking someone for doing a poor job.

(Bragging mode time)
I've played SWTOR for four years now, I've done at least 150 operations ( WoW version of raids, and probably over 200, but we will lowball here) at least 715 flashpoints (WoW version of dungeons, lowballing big time here) and countless more heroics and other group activities like killing world bosses etc. etc. I can count on one hand the amount of times I was booted from any of these groups events, which was only three, and one of them I kind of trolled a bit and deserved it, the other two I was partially unfairly blamed for my lack of group performance and therefore kicked. Other than kicking random disconnected people who haven't returned and people who afk, I can also count on one hand the amount of people I booted which was only five, and again, one of them was a troll from other flashpoint we kicked right away.

Most of the time if someone had to leave he apologized, said his peace and left, they know how debilitating it is to have a afk group member and also the fact they get nothing for staying around. If I couldn't boot someone for whatever reason in the above mentioned games I would of probably quit because to many inane things go on where at times you need it, and as mentioned above in this thread, if a captain does unfairly boot people before porting, the community self polices the problem. Congrats, the captain got all the loot, but from there on everyone ignores him, never boards his ship, his reputation of being a scallywag spreads and no longer gets a audience to board his ship.

Last edited:

I would be perfectly happy with the kick option and the ability to blacklist known troublemakers. I don't think we need more than that. You can't expect to socially engineer the entire community and the community in general is excellent anyway.

But if there was a way to boot leeches, captains could just boot anyone. Imagine actually cannoning for a full mat run and then the captain is being a jerk and boots everyone off his ship hoping to increase his own loot (whether or not that happens, I don't know). That's the only thing I would be concerned about. Other than that, if they could find to boot LEGIT leeches, I am all for it.

Maybe an automatic boot off a ship if you're AFK more than 5 minutes? That way, it's out of the captains hands? Or at least give the captain an option to automatically boot after 5 min AFK?

I completely agree with this! There has been several times where the ship is completely filled with players but most of them are afk or just stand there and do absolutely nothing until we are about to port then they all do false claims of how they did all the work and did nothing, not even repairs. This issue gets quit frustrating when your in a middle of a run and the ship continuously sinks and we all loose everything and yet they are the one to complain. Enough is enough we need to take action and do something about this.

Maybe an automatic boot off a ship if you're AFK more than 5 minutes? That way, it's out of the captains hands? Or at least give the captain an option to automatically boot after 5 min AFK?
They will just walk around the ship and go back to being AFK to reset the timer and repeat the process over and over again.

Many of these people put their alts on ships to collect the loot while they are actively looting with one of their other pirates from a different account.

Back