Request Something Needs to be Done About Afkers on Ships

Add an optional AFK timer to ships that can be toggled of/off by the captain.
I second that. If you add a vote to kick function or a captain boot option then you will just end up with people who did nothing wrong getting kicked and cheated out of their earned loot by griefers. An afk timer makes sure that only people who are genuinely afk are affected, and toggleable will ensure that if the captain is okay with it, you can afk. I know in Emerald Regiment we have a lot of people who like to sail without people gunning, and invite people to afk for the loot.
No, if I don't want someone on my ship for any reason at any time I should have the right to remove them.
Port and take it off public, problem solved.

OMG. When will the afk debate end? You are in total control of your ship. If the option to open your ship is unchecked no one will magically appear. It just will not happen. If you only want a specific type of people on your ship you need to start a crew and vet every single member to your liking. From now on, only blondes are allowed on my ship. No one else. No exceptions. No seriously just add boot option . But then" OMG We got kicked right before he/she ported".

No, if I don't want someone on my ship for any reason at any time I should have the right to remove them.
Do you know what I'd do with that kind of power? I'd boot people off for requesting to port, or because I don't like their outfit, or because I only want level 25+ gunners on my ship. I would be abusive and discriminate towards players I don't like for petty reasons. The game shouldn't give me the ability to do that.

And don't tell me that people wouldn't join my ship if I did that. New players aren't going to know who I am, and can't be expected to remember my name (and the name of every captain like me) for the rest of their tlopo careers.

Do you know what I'd do with that kind of power? I'd boot people off for requesting to port, or because I don't like their outfit, or because I only want level 25+ gunners on my ship. I would be abusive and discriminate towards players I don't like for petty reasons. The game shouldn't give me the ability to do that.

And don't tell me that people wouldn't join my ship if I did that. New players aren't going to know who I am, and can't be expected to remember my name (and the name of every captain like me) for the rest of their tlopo careers.
You are quite memorable and I am not at all concerned about abusive captains giving me the boot, yourself included.

Add an optional AFK timer to ships that can be toggled on/off by the captain.
But if there was a way to boot leeches, captains could just boot anyone. Imagine actually cannoning for a full mat run and then the captain is being a jerk and boots everyone off his ship hoping to increase his own loot (whether or not that happens, I don't know). That's the only thing I would be concerned about. Other than that, if they could find to boot LEGIT leeches, I am all for it.

Maybe an automatic boot off a ship if you're AFK more than 5 minutes? That way, it's out of the captains hands? Or at least give the captain an option to automatically boot after 5 min AFK?

I second that. If you add a vote to kick function or a captain boot option then you will just end up with people who did nothing wrong getting kicked and cheated out of their earned loot by griefers. An afk timer makes sure that only people who are genuinely afk are affected, and toggleable will ensure that if the captain is okay with it, you can afk. I know in Emerald Regiment we have a lot of people who like to sail without people gunning, and invite people to afk for the loot.

As we said before, the community itself will sort it out, all you do is blacklist them and never board there ship again. No need for complicated systems, a simple kick/boot system works fine in literally any other game, why is TLOPO so special? All they will do is go to the back of the ship towards the interior, press R, or put a battery on there keyboard. Battlefront 2 had the exact same problems as this, and TLOPO will see the exact same problems without a proper booting system.

I realize your guild is certainly a large one, I see them all the time on public ships, but honestly, how often do normal guilds and people all come together and pre form there own group in tlopo? I play often and I've never seen more than like 3 people all in the same usual group and that's a rare occasion. Most of the time when im online, not all my friends are on, not all my guildmates are on, not everyone wants to go mat sailing at this moment. Some of my friends want to quest, others level a weapon, some just want to chill out, telling people to handicap there self and always group with friends or sail by yourself isn't a viable solution.

Last edited:
I agree that the afk issue is a problem for the community. It's demoralizing to see people standing around, asleep, soaking in the loot and knowing they'll benefit from the loyal crew's hard work.

That said, asking for software to solve a problem involving people is at best shortsighted. As has been pointed out, people being people, software can be exploited and abused. Just pushing a button to get rid of one single person isn't going to solve the problem as a whole. If the community as a whole really wants to stop the trend of AFK pirates on their ship, they have to be willing to do something about it. That could be as simple as putting a crew together before you sail, and keeping your ship open to crew and possibly guild and friend, or as has been pointed out above, boarding a Colossus flagship whilst you have AFK crew members aboard. :p The AFK problem only exists because it's being accepted as just something to put up with.

TL; DR: Asking for a software solution to a people problem can just cause more people problems.

OMG. When will the afk debate end? You are in total control of your ship. If the option to open your ship is unchecked no one will magically appear. It just will not happen. If you only want a specific type of people on your ship you need to start a crew and vet every single member to your liking. From now on, only blondes are allowed on my ship. No one else. No exceptions. No seriously just add boot option . But then" OMG We got kicked right before he/she ported".

The afk debate will end when a proper solution is implemented, having four to six people afk every single mat run is not good for the health of the game, and certainly not a good thing.

People need to stop assuming the worse possible action, as I said before in my days of SWTOR I had the personal power to kick people when I lead raids, no questions asked, no reasons needed and I only booted enough people to the point where I could count with a single hand. On the incredibly rare occasion a captain does kick people before port, this wont happen often and when it does you can just sail with more truth worthy captains. Lets compare it instead to how often are you often your plagued by afkers? every single run with at least three to four of them.

Anyone who supports a auto kick function to work is dreaming and needs to look at Battlefront 2s struggle with that.

Can someone refresh my memory, was it possible to do this AFKing on POTCO? And if so, was the community also this abusive of it back then too?

Thanks!!

Can someone refresh my memory, was it possible to do this AFKing on POTCO? And if so, was the community also this abusive of it back then too?

Thanks!!

Yes, you could go AFK at the beginning of the run and get stuff, but if you came on at the end and went AFK you wouldn't get loot. But now because you can get the whole load by just jumping on at the end, people are doing it more now.

The reality is if you set your ship to public, you do not get to choose what kind of people will come aboard. If that prevents you from getting a crew together, then that should be an incentive for you to take advantage of the game's many community-building features like guilds and the crew finder.

It actually is quite that simple.

What is?

If that were true at POTCO's closure, it would also be a feature now. I personally have never come across any evidence this was/is a thing.

Outside of SVS, you couldn't kick players, but people didn't really afk back then because you needed to be on a cannon and hit a enemy hunter/war ship, this was flawed in several ways but it at least prevented afkers.

I agree that the afk issue is a problem for the community. It's demoralizing to see people standing around, asleep, soaking in the loot and knowing they'll benefit from the loyal crew's hard work.

That said, asking for software to solve a problem involving people is at best shortsighted. As has been pointed out, people being people, software can be exploited and abused. Just pushing a button to get rid of one single person isn't going to solve the problem as a whole. If the community as a whole really wants to stop the trend of AFK pirates on their ship, they have to be willing to do something about it. That could be as simple as putting a crew together before you sail, and keeping your ship open to crew and possibly guild and friend, or as has been pointed out above, boarding a Colossus flagship whilst you have AFK crew members aboard. :p The AFK problem only exists because it's being accepted as just something to put up with.

TL; DR: Asking for a software solution to a people problem can just cause more people problems.

I agree with the sentiments and mentality and that afking should NOT be accepted, but a software for kicking works fine in any other game, not perfect, but acceptable. For the one person that does abuse it there is many many more that uses the system properly and if anything does go wrong with a rogue captain, you ignore/blacklist and move on.

The reality is if you set your ship to public, you do not get to choose what kind of people will come aboard. If that prevents you from getting a crew together, then that should be an incentive for you to take advantage of the game's many community-building features like guilds and the crew finder.
How about we let people decide for themselves how they wish to socialize in the game, or not?

Yes, you could go AFK at the beginning of the run and get stuff, but if you came on at the end and went AFK you wouldn't get loot. But now because you can get the whole load by just jumping on at the end, people are doing it more now.
Was not aware you could hop on at the 11th hour and get cred for all the loot accumulated during the run. That's definitely something worth addressing.

Regarding a NEW feature allowing the captain to boot deadbeats, I think it's a worthwhile addition, but like others have expressed I expect it to be abused more often than it should be.

Mate, imagine comparing what you said to any other example in real life or any other game. Oh...you have a public store? can't call security or call them out, they can thrash the store, sleep in there, or do whatever, you have no control over it. How about grouping in WoW... you got your tank afking at the start? perhaps your healer is really a dps and wont fix his role? cant boot them, just have to progress on hindered with a afk tank and someone of the wrong role.

Back