Request Something Needs to be Done About Afkers on Ships

Can someone refresh my memory, was it possible to do this AFKing on POTCO? And if so, was the community also this abusive of it back then too?

Thanks!!
To my mind there was no boot option except for in SvS just as in tlopo and it was abusive then but less so. I also believe that when you boarded a ship in potco you only got the loot that was gained while you were aboard, not the entire load as in tlopo. If you boarded just as the ship was porting you got nothing.

To my mind there was no boot option except for in SvS just as in tlopo and it was abusive then but less so. I also believe that when you boarded a ship in potco you only got the loot that was gained while you were aboard, not the entire load as in tlopo. If you boarded just as the ship was porting you got nothing.
Changing this would only fix part of the problem (although its a worthy fix!), since AFKers would just adapt and leech earlier in runs.

So let's design a real solution together. First challenge: Should repairers also be given cred for the time they are aboard, like cannoneers?

Mate, imagine comparing what you said to any other example in real life or any other game. Oh...you have a public store? can't call security or call them out, they can thrash the store, sleep in there, or do whatever, you have no control over it. How about grouping in WoW... you got your tank afking at the start? perhaps your healer is really a dps and wont fix his role? cant boot them, just have to progress on hindered with a afk tank and someone of the wrong role.

It's called port your ship and relaunch. Your real life examples make no sense. It's like if you you pick up a hitchhiker, will you have much control over them once they are in the car? You still have to deal with a lot of subpar players in the wow group finder. There are limitations on booting. Why are we trying to make ships like the igloos in club penguin? Why do we want the dev team to waste time on a non issue.

Changing this would only fix part of the problem (although its a worthy fix!), since AFKers would just adapt and leech earlier in runs.

So let's design a real solution together. First challenge: Should repairers also be given cred for the time they are aboard, like cannoneers?
Absolutely!

Absolutely!
Honestly, I don't mind afkers that ask before doing so and am much more interested in booting trolls than afkers. The other day I had a guy who did fire cannons some but was constantly going on about unmentionable things of a private nature and asking to port which I found disruptive to my and other's game play. He was most unsavory.

It's called port your ship and relaunch. Your real life examples make no sense. It's like if you you pick up a hitchhiker, will you have much control over them once they are in the car? You still have to deal with a lot of subpar players in the wow group finder. There are limitations on booting. Why are we trying to make ships like the igloos in club penguin? Why do we want the dev team to waste time on a non issue.
If people had to port and relaunch there ship every time a afker came aboard no one would even fill there warships to full cargo. If you pick up a hitch hiker in the car, its your car, you have the right to kick them out of it whenever. Yeah you still have to deal with subpar players in the WoW group finder, that wasn't the point, you can still boot them if there acting up, out of line or whatever. Afk tank? you kick. Healer in the wrong spec? boot. Occasionally a player will be kicked for doing a bad job but that is a rare occurrence, and that's a small price to pay for having to restart a run every time someone acts up or afks. There are literally zero limitations to booting if you lead a raid, you can boot the entire group if your want, the only other limit to booting is having a group vote is its through group finder. Afking is a problem, having four to six people contribute nothing to a run is maddening and over taxes other players.

Guys, we are not talking about a personal vehicle or a private business. These are public ships in an MMORPG. These are not valid analogies. lol.

I support the ship owner being able to remove anyone at any time for any reason. Claims that some would abuse such power are silly and only propagated by by the trolls and lazy afkers whose fun would be curtailed by such a game addition. Would you ever sail with that captain again if you felt you were booted unfairly? Really...
It will happen. I just pity those few who have it happen to them and pray itll never happen to me

Just allow the captain to send an alert to an afk player
Its a 20 second timer and a button.
If they don't press the button before the timer runs out they get kicked.

I disagree, your ship is much closer to a private vehicle than a public bus or train.
No, it's not. You don't own your ship. You don't even own access to this game. Ownership of your car is a matter of law - a fictitious vehicle in a video game is not remotely comparable. The developers have every right to dictate the terms of who can and cannot access the ship, and they should use that right to guard players from abuse. If you don't want AFKers, do not set your ship to public. It is that simple.

No, it's not. You don't own your ship. You don't even own access to this game. Ownership of your car is a matter of law - a fictitious vehicle in a video game is not remotely comparable. The developers have every right to dictate the terms of who can and cannot access the ship, and they should use that right to guard players from abuse. If you don't want AFKers, do not set your ship to public. It is that simple.

"Guard players from abuse" - swarms of players afk en masse on ships as it is, abusing the system. I'm not saying a kick option is free from abuse, but the abuse it dishes out will certainly be less damaging and destructive than it is now. Will captains kick everyone right before they port? yes, on a rare occasion, but it's better than getting swarmed with afkers without stopping them every time.

Why don't we get off the boot option for a moment, and discuss a different option. Blacklisting/ignoring players so they cant come back to future runs. They wont get kicked when black listed, but they will be unable to board again.

"Guard players from abuse" - swarms of players afk en masse on ships as it is, abusing the system. I'm not saying a kick option is free from abuse, but the abuse it dishes out will certainly be less damaging and destructive than it is now. Will captains kick everyone right before they port? yes, on a rare occasion, but it's better than getting swarmed with afkers without stopping them every time.

Why don't we get off the boot option for a moment, and discuss a different option. Blacklisting/ignoring players so they cant come back to future runs. They wont get kicked when black listed, but they will be unable to board again.
Most of this discussion are people just doing this to spite and annoy afkers.
Because afkers on ships arent nearly as destructive and harmful as you people see it, and a lot of people are just exaggerating to make it seem like a bigger problem than it already is. I doubt having even five afk people on your ship impacts you that much because I sail my warships, and I have this problem.

Sure afking on a ship is annoying and should be dealt with but certainly not in a way that can do more harm than good for a lot of people.

Most of this discussion are people just doing this to spite and annoy afkers.
Because afkers on ships arent nearly as destructive and harmful as you people see it, and a lot of people are just exaggerating to make it seem like a bigger problem than it already is. I doubt having even five afk people on your ship impacts you that much because I sail my warships, and I have this problem.

Sure afking on a ship is annoying and should be dealt with but certainly not in a way that can do more harm than good for a lot of people.

Afking is a large problem, having only a few people on cannons at a low level extends the run to a great degree making you take longer and making you work harder. Having to cover someones shift at work because there busy texting in the corner is annoying and does harm causing you to work more.

Having people afk en masse on every ship is probably more damaging than that one occasional captain who kicks everyone before port.

lol what level are you to complain about "all these afkers" on your ship

Level is irrelevant, focus on the subject at hand rather than some exterior factor to focus on or pick on. Discuss how someone not doing there portion of work and making you work harder since you have to cover there shift, is not harmful by any means.

Level is irrelevant, focus on the subject at hand rather than some exterior factor to focus on or pick on. Discuss how someone not doing there portion of work and making you work harder since you have to cover there shift, is not harmful by any means.
You're sitting at a cannon (likely in an abassa swarm) clicking at ships. You're not working hard at all.
Personally, I find that afkers on ships pose no threat at all on any warship unless you have maybe 5 and that rarely happens from what ive despite me sailing so much.
Id rather have 5 afk players on my ship than be subject to a random "eject" on any ship I go on. A boot option is not the way to go to deal with afkers

Hmm well I was trying to steer this thread into some constructive solutions, but clearly there isn't much interest in that here. Carry on!!

You're sitting at a cannon (likely in an abassa swarm) clicking at ships. You're not working hard at all.
Personally, I find that afkers on ships pose no threat at all on any warship unless you have maybe 5 and that rarely happens from what ive despite me sailing so much.
Id rather have 5 afk players on my ship than be subject to a random "eject" on any ship I go on. A boot option is not the way to go to deal with afkers
Semantics or not, sitting around clicking in a abassa swarm is infinitely harder than clicking one button and boarding a ship, occasionally they may try to hide, but not often.
Just because you do not think afking is a problem doesn't mean its a problem. Having more than three afkers is severely debilitating to a ship as you will have a open cannon when more than one person needs to repair. Not to mention that as someone who ends up repairing a lot on ships, its incredibly annoying to be the sole repairer on a ship that is consistently taking damage. It's not fun, and I heavily appreciate a helping hand while keeping the cannons maintained for full efficiency.

Back