Request Something Needs to be Done About Afkers on Ships

Semantics or not, sitting around clicking in a abassa swarm is infinitely harder than clicking one button and boarding a ship, occasionally they may try to hide, but not often.
Just because you do not think afking is a problem doesn't mean its a problem. Having more than three afkers is severely debilitating to a ship as you will have a open cannon when more than one person needs to repair. Not to mention that as someone who ends up repairing a lot on ships, its incredibly annoying to be the sole repairer on a ship that is consistently taking damage. It's not fun, and I heavily appreciate a helping hand while keeping the cannons maintained for full efficiency.
Been playing this game for 3 years and i havent seen any major problem arise from afkers on ships other than people being unhappy that they get loot for doing nothing.
Again, allowing captains to kick is not a viable option for a problem so small. Im guessing you are a level 20-30 and i can see why you would find afkers annoying

Been playing this game for 3 years and i havent seen any major problem arise from afkers on ships other than people being unhappy that they get loot for doing nothing.
Again, allowing captains to kick is not a viable option for a problem so small. Im guessing you are a level 20-30 and i can see why you would find afkers annoying
Well it seems were at a impasse here... you don't see a problem with people doing nothing and afking, doing no work and getting the same credit as a working and able crew member, but I do. How about we discuss another option mentioned such as the blacklisting/ignore option. It wont autokick people from the ship, but it will prevent them from getting back on in the future.

Well it seems were at a impasse here... you don't see a problem with people doing nothing and afking, doing no work and getting the same credit as a working and able crew member, but I do. How about we discuss another option mentioned such as the blacklisting/ignore option. It wont autokick people from the ship, but it will prevent them from getting back on in the future.
Never said it wasnt a problem, I just said that people like to exaggerate. Also, ive already given my idea on how leeches should be dealt with to not hurt anybody with a harmful captain. But to discuss your idea, you'll always see leeches, and you'll always get new ones. Im honestly surprised you've gotten enough of the same leeches multiple times to suggest this, considering the short time you've been playing this game.

Never said it wasnt a problem, I just said that people like to exaggerate. Also, ive already given my idea on how leeches should be dealt with to not hurt anybody with a harmful captain. But to discuss your idea, you'll always see leeches, and you'll always get new ones. Im honestly surprised you've gotten enough of the same leeches multiple times to suggest this, considering the short time you've been playing this game.
Going back... I actually think that's not half bad of a idea suggesting a 20 second delay or be kicked kind of thing for afkers. And yes... I actually do often see the same people afking, some are more memorable due to actively talking or at times mocking me, but the same names appear often. To add onto that idea... maybe we could have a first mate promotion to also help purge the afkers? its a bit troublesome to track what everyone's doing when sailing the ship... not to mention the weird camera angles making it harder to see the crew mates.

Sorry, but my solution works best! (LOL)
Just like the Friends list, have a ban list of pirates who cannot board your ship.
And just like friends, you can add or remove names from the list as needed.
Simple, fair, effective.

Just allow the captain to send an alert to an afk player
Its a 20 second timer and a button.
If they don't press the button before the timer runs out they get kicked.

So BenAFKpirate is sitting watching TV with his laptop next to him not doing anything on the ship but knows he has to click something once In awhile to stay on the ship and get the mats. That's your non-solution?

No thanks.

I'm a level 50 pirate who sees the AFK on ships problem as very much a threat to the long term health of the game so much so that I am actively hunting and sending lazy pirates to jail. Could not disagree with your every utterance more.

Last edited:
No, it's not. You don't own your ship. You don't even own access to this game. Ownership of your car is a matter of law - a fictitious vehicle in a video game is not remotely comparable. The developers have every right to dictate the terms of who can and cannot access the ship, and they should use that right to guard players from abuse. If you don't want AFKers, do not set your ship to public. It is that simple.
I agree with the developers owning the game, although there is some reason to think the the Walt Disney Corporation actually owns it, and I agree that they should make efforts to stop abuse. That is where my opinions diverge from your's. I feel it is trolls and afkers that are the abusers and that a player has a reasonable expectation of opening their ship to the public without being abused. In the game ships are presented as "your ship" when you purchased it from the shipwright. Getting booted off a ship is not abuse in the same way as a troll can completely ruin someones gameplay. When a captain opens his ship he is exposed to more chances of abuse than a cannoneer who boards a ship; why? Because as many as 12 potential troublemakers may board a captain's ship but only one potential troublemaker could boot a cannoneer should such a feature be added. Opening a ship to the public is a wonderful game feature and is imo the single best way to meet and become friends with like minded players, I do want to open my ship and meet players in that setting.

Changing this would only fix part of the problem (although its a worthy fix!), since AFKers would just adapt and leech earlier in runs.

So let's design a real solution together. First challenge: Should repairers also be given cred for the time they are aboard, like cannoneers?
I am against any kind of timer as I would like to support captains that prefer their crew not shoot unless a ship is agro, this is not me but I know a few examples and think that if the captain wants to run his/her ship that way then the crew is working together and that is great, the crew should be rewarded. I guess if the captain had the option to put the timer on or off that could work? I think that Disney saw that it is a much less effective strategy to land on a random ship not knowing how far along the run is, as you say it's not perfect. On average only half the reward of TLOPO and so likely why it was less popular but not zero. The loot only for what you were aboard for does not address trolls either so perhaps that should be considered a separate issue? I'm not one to report trolls I just want them off my ship and hanging in Abassa Tortuga. Of course no matter what there will always be abuse, humans are often not friendly to each other and many will take advantage of any possible angle regardless of the consequences to others.

So BenAFKpirate is sitting watching TV with his laptop next to him not doing anything on the ship but knows he has to click something once In awhile to stay on the ship and get the mats. That's your non-solution?

No thanks.

I'm a level 50 pirate who sees the AFK on ships problem as very much a threat to the long term health of the game so much so that I am actively hunting and sending lazy pirates to jail. Could not disagree with your every utterance more.
I think its a better option than kicking people because it will still whittle down afkers on ships and help prevent people from doing. Any person on a ship can still pretend to be doing something like sitting on a cannon or at repairs. Plus sending them that would definitely help if you think someone is afk when they are actually not.

I mean they could add something like vote to kick like in Wow. But you guys need to remember that this project is based on a game from the early 2000's. I think the main focus is getting the content the game had back then to work properly and smoothly. That is what I would assume? I mean I'd rather have cannon defense. Isn't there a kick option in svs( or was there... I don't remember to be honest). That is the only option you'd prolly be getting.

They certainly did and I thank the developers for listening and agreeing to give it a try. I tested it very briefly last night with friends and it seemed to work perfectly. Thus far I've, luckily, not had occasion to try it with someone I actually want to remove. I hope that it will fix the issue without a lot of abuse and I don't think it will prompt a lot of abuse, don't even see how it could but people are creative and that goes for the good the bad and the ugly. I will be watching for how this plays out as it is of particular interest to me.

Last edited:
I guess you were incorrect.

They certainly did and I thank the developers for listening and agreeing to give it a try. I tested it very briefly last night with friends and it seemed to work perfectly. Thus far I've, luckily, not had occasion to try it with someone I actually want to remove. I hope that it will fix the issue without a lot of abuse and I don't think it will prompt a lot of abuse, don't even see how it could but people are creative and that goes for the good the bad and the ugly. I will be watching for how this plays out as it is of particular interest to me.
The only abuse will come from the same hard core afk'rs who want revenge. In a short time, no one will be saying anything about captain abuse because it simply won't be a factor except to people who are afk'rs.
This great addition will only be a factor to afk'rs and they will come up with all sorts of stories and excuses as to why it doesn't work.
It's in game now and leeches can't stop it. For as long as it lasts.

And I have no need for any further comments on a moot subject.

Guys, we are not talking about a personal vehicle or a private business. These are public ships in an MMORPG. These are not valid analogies. lol.
Stop deflecting and twisting away from afk'ing. It's my ship, I paid for it and built it within the game. I am the ship captain. You (general term, not YOU) are a leech scratching your head hiding around the bow where I can't see you. You have no viable reason to take a crew spot on my ship if I choose to open it to the public to meet new people or do a quick run because I feel like piloting it. Giving pve public ship captains the right to control who leeches on their ship is the correct and fair thing the dev's did this time. Someone who is afk'g without a word to the captain has no say or right to protest.
It's ludicrous to even think a afk'r has any say in the matter of being pitched in the sea. There will be almost zero captain abuse, and I'll submit most claims of captain abuse will be false. That said, I'm pretty positive that I will be booted the second my name is seen on someones ship with their anticipation that I will cry to the forums that I was booted. That plan won't work as I won't say a thing. lol

A large part of the problems are the unmentionables, being people with mutli accounts spreading their alts all over the seas.
I know this for a fact due to sleuthing through these forums, chat boards and in game chats for months. Including direct in game experience with multi account players talking to each other.

My vitriolic postings are the result of frustrations from afk'rs and even elootists trying to protect their way of game and territory in the forums.

There's no fighting them or changing anything so I'm trying to curtail posting or even reading these forums any more.

Last edited:
Stop deflecting and twisting away from afk'ing. It's my ship, I paid for it and built it within the game. I am the ship captain. You (general term, not YOU) are a leech scratching your head hiding around the bow where I can't see you. You have no viable reason to take a crew spot on my ship if I choose to open it to the public to meet new people or do a quick run because I feel like piloting it. Giving pve public ship captains the right to control who leeches on their ship is the correct and fair thing the dev's did this time. Someone who is afk'g without a word to the captain has no say or right to protest.
It's ludicrous to even think a afk'r has any say in the matter of being pitched in the sea. There will be almost zero captain abuse, and I'll submit most claims of captain abuse will be false. That said, I'm pretty positive that I will be booted the second my name is seen on someones ship with their anticipation that I will cry to the forums that I was booted. That plan won't work as I won't say a thing. lol

A large part of the problems are the unmentionables, being people with mutli accounts spreading their alts all over the seas.
I know this for a fact due to sleuthing through these forums, chat boards and in game chats for months. Including direct in game experience with multi account players talking to each other.

My vitriolic postings are the result of frustrations from afk'rs and even elootists trying to protect their way of game and territory in the forums.

There's no fighting them or changing anything so I'm trying to curtail posting or even reading these forums any more.
All valid points. I saw someone posted earlier, if you can sail with a first mate to keep an eye out for leeches and thus help you control them, that should help a lot with the problem.

SIDE NOTE: Since the captain kick option was implemented, there have been zero in-game reports about captains abusing it, nor any reports of peoples' ships being leeched (which was previously the #1 exploit-type in-game report).

All valid points. I saw someone posted earlier, if you can sail with a first mate to keep an eye out for leeches and thus help you control them, that should help a lot with the problem.

SIDE NOTE: Since the captain kick option was implemented, there have been zero in-game reports about captains abusing it, nor any reports of peoples' ships being leeched (which was previously the #1 exploit-type in-game report).

"SIDE NOTE: Since the captain kick option was implemented, there have been zero in-game reports about captains abusing it, nor any reports of peoples' ships being leeched (which was previously the #1 exploit-type in-game report)."

This is also a result I thought about but didn't mention which you did, would be the drop in leeching due to the light shined upon the practice. I believe it's not really the shove into the sea the leechers fear, but the possible recorded identities of them and their alts. It would be in the logs of the devs.

GL

Back