SvS (Spanish) Black Demon streaks 112 without sinking! (2/10/2019)

imo attacking ships in port is not legit SvS, SvS should be on the high seas not nailing ducks coming out of port, but you all may call it what you like. 112 ships is impressive but would be far more impressive if they all were clear of the port island before engagement.

imo attacking ships in port is not legit SvS, SvS should be on the high seas not nailing ducks coming out of port, but you all may call it what you like. 112 ships is impressive but would be far more impressive if they all were clear of the port island before engagement.
Being close enough to a shielded ship when they spawn to ram it isn't impressive at all. (Not you Eric) In my limited experience it means ones ship is staying right next to an island the whole time. Not exactly out at sea engagement is it.
I'd find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't take advantage of a spawn kill if it was presented to them somehow. But to be there in the first place to make it happen isn't usually by chance.

From other games pvp that I have rarely participated in, it's a whole different technique with full intent to cross a complete map to spawn camp.
Many many players make this their full time occupation for whatever the reasons.

That said, is the last thing I'm going to say. I usually camp with a tent, beer and rum and me fishing poles. And sometimes a bear or two inviting themselves for a little fresh fish lunch.

GL and happy camping.

...I could not join on French side to try to sink the Black Demon as the game only allowed joining on Spanish at the,time for whatever reason. (Probably the mismatched numbers)
The game is supposed to automatically put you on a SVS side when one side is mismatched so...your hunch is correct.

*I love SVS/privateering. With that said, it was my "thing." Now, I may not have been the best at it but I did ask a lot of questions about it during POTCO's time and I was lucky enough too to have befriended a lot of pirates whom were incredibly well known to have been successful at it. Hence, why I do feel compelled to chime in on this thread because SVS and sailing highly interest me.

I don't think it's fair to say or think that a strategy is "engaging" when said strategy fails to invoke a (SVS ship) sailing or maneuver tactic against another privateering ship. I agree with both @Eric Sailcutter and @squintz on this. ;) I also don't think it's fair to say that TLOPO has somehow gone out if it's way to ignore fixing some sailing issues. As someone whom is watching things very closely (especially with sailing fixes), they are making sure to fix sailing to the best of their ability.

In my opinion, it is going to require a level of patience for 1.) fair SVS gameplay and 2.) improvements made to sailing to eventually work out. With that said, I do wish I could SVS right now - on TLOPO - to understand for myself what is *really* going on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is why I wouldn't knowingly get into pvp. That was a fluke sinking or something that landed me there.
I totally hate tlopo has you automatically ginned as pvp if you port there. That to me is unnecessary.
Of course, you can tp away from those islands without ever having to join SvS if you somehow end up there. We use that for ammo runs while on a loot run as the shop is open air, no door to enter saves time.

None of this is addressed at any particular people. Sadly what was supposed to be a congrats thread turned into a ridiculous discussion of stuff some people clearly don't understand or have experience with and other stuff that isn't gonna change.

1. If you believe using ram by itself to sink a ship in SVS gets you infamy, bounty or adds to your win streak, you need to try it. Anyone who wants to fact check this can and see that I am right that ram is bugged in that you don't get credit in svs chat for sinking a ship with ram by itself.

2. That being said, if someone rammed ships with their shields up in port and sunk them by doing that, they did not add to their win streak, so the 112 ships sunk must have been at least in part done with cannons. Since cannons don't work through shields then that means the shields were down and the ship was fair game to sink.

3. Sinking sizeable ships with ram while they have their shields up is difficult and time consuming, small ones not so much. While near port any shielded ship can shoot at you without getting hit by cannon when you are waiting for your ram to recharge which takes around a full minute. When I saw the score board it was 4 French vs. 2 Spanish and the Spanish had all the bounty. If they were successfully spawn camping being out numbered 2 to one then the French were having some serious problems.

4. I don't camp the enemy island unless I am going after people who cheat in SVS, meaning they trade bounty with a buddy to get gold and become SVS admirals without having to fight anyone. This kind of cheating is an exploit. Spawn camping isn't. Loads of people are cheating in SVS every day which is the thing you all should be complaining about.

If getting sunk in port somehow offends your idea of fair play, then SVS is just gonna frustrate you. You probably shouldn't come out and play, as it wont be fun. If you accept the challenge of having a difficult time getting out of port sometimes, then you might enjoy what is going on regularly on the busy server.

None of this is addressed at any particular people. Sadly what was supposed to be a congrats thread turned into a ridiculous discussion of stuff some people clearly don't understand or have experience with and other stuff that isn't gonna change.

1. If you believe using ram by itself to sink a ship in SVS gets you infamy, bounty or adds to your win streak, you need to try it. Anyone who wants to fact check this can and see that I am right that ram is bugged in that you don't get credit in svs chat for sinking a ship with ram by itself.

2. That being said, if someone rammed ships with their shields up in port and sunk them by doing that, they did not add to their win streak, so the 112 ships sunk must have been at least in part done with cannons. Since cannons don't work through shields then that means the shields were down and the ship was fair game to sink.

3. Sinking sizeable ships with ram while they have their shields up is difficult and time consuming, small ones not so much. While near port any shielded ship can shoot at you without getting hit by cannon when you are waiting for your ram to recharge which takes around a full minute. When I saw the score board it was 4 French vs. 2 Spanish and the Spanish had all the bounty. If they were successfully spawn camping being out numbered 2 to one then the French were having some serious problems.

4. I don't camp the enemy island unless I am going after people who cheat in SVS, meaning they trade bounty with a buddy to get gold and become SVS admirals without having to fight anyone. This kind of cheating is an exploit. Spawn camping isn't. Loads of people are cheating in SVS every day which is the thing you all should be complaining about.

If getting sunk in port somehow offends your idea of fair play, then SVS is just gonna frustrate you. You probably shouldn't come out and play, as it wont be fun. If you accept the challenge of having a difficult time getting out of port sometimes, then you might enjoy what is going on regularly on the busy server.
I agree especially with your #4. What I don't agree with is your last statement and points made within that last paragraph. Alas, it's safe to say I should just leave it at that. ;)

As a reminder, none of us would have commented by elaborating upon the whole ramming strategy if the OP had never mentioned it within his 3rd posting. That wasn't our doing! So back to what a lot of us tried to do too to convey within a bunch of our posts; *congratulations* to those whom deserve it in achieving such a feat. :)

A game is a game. It's not considered cheating if anyone can do it and you have no idea what an exploit is basically. Exploit means a beneficial change using a resource (Like trainers and modifications) and also means a bold and daring feat. People have been around SvS every day for most part getting good gold and eventually they get their badges so forth.

Last edited:
A game is a game. It's not considered cheating if anyone can do it and you have no idea what an exploit is basically. Exploit means a beneficial change using a resource (Like trainers and modifications) and also means a bold and daring feat. People have been around SvS every day for most part getting good gold and eventually they get their badges so forth.
It's ironic how we're having this discussion on a SVS thread. Reminds me too of how readily "cheating" occurred by privateers during POTCO's time. He's not around here anymore to comment but I think @LEO would agree with me on this to say that your point about "cheating" is incorrect, pertinent to a game or in real Life.

People can "cheat" in-game in a way which gives them an unfair advantage. If all people can do it while playing, what shall it be called then; "opportunity?" If an action in-game is followed which was not the devs' intent, it is called "cheating." (Any other way to name it/to think differently about it is just not true - shrugs).

*To reiterate: if it is an intent driven by a player to gain an upper advantage (and not how the devs' intended it to be), it's a cheat and not a glitch nor opportunity! But, congratulations (a 2nd time) to those whom achieved such a feat. ;)

It's ironic how we're having this discussion on a SVS thread. Reminds me too of how readily "cheating" occurred by privateers during POTCO's time. He's not around here anymore to comment but I think @LEO would agree with me on this to say that your point about "cheating" is incorrect, pertinent to a game or in real Life.

People can "cheat" in-game in a way which gives them an unfair advantage. If all people can do it while playing, what shall it be called then; "opportunity?" If an action in-game is followed which was not the devs' intent, it is called "cheating." (Any other way to name it/to think differently about it is just not true - shrugs).

*To reiterate: if it is an intent driven by a player to gain an upper advantage (and not how the devs' intended it to be), it's a cheat and not a glitch nor opportunity! But, congratulations (a 2nd time) to those whom achieved such a feat. ;)
There was no cheating involved in the streak the French had the numbers game most of the night there were plenty of fights that ended up around devils anvil or halfway across the map. There were times when we took on 4 ships at once with one on repairs and 2 on cannons. (The option to board ship from the menu glitched on public and crew so we had to tp in from crew list so that put us at even more of a disadvantage)Yes there was spawn camping at times but when the 4/4 ships that are on the opposing team are sitting in spawn shooting cannons at you and won’t move regardless if we back off or not then it’s time to ram them or sit close where they can’t hit us. I don’t see how you can bring up cheating when you weren’t even there. It was a great crew to play with and a great night of svs.

I think he was just bringing up the factor of it not being a fair fight originally I personally have never seen a fight get over 50 kills that was even remotely fair.. The cheating I do believe was mentioned by someone prior to that and he was just replying to it... Maybe im wrong though but I would have to agree that it was most likely a very unfair fight if you got 114 kills in a row... Not gonna lie Twister is a great SVS captain who knows how many were on his ship? In the end this thread was meant to be for a Congrats and turned into much more than it was supposed to be! This happened 2 days ago now honestly no matter how it was accomplished it did get done.

I think he was just bringing up the factor of it not being a fair fight originally I personally have never seen a fight get over 50 kills that was even remotely fair.. The cheating I do believe was mentioned by someone prior to that and he was just replying to it... Maybe im wrong though but I would have to agree that it was most likely a very unfair fight if you got 114 kills in a row... Not gonna lie Twister is a great SVS captain who knows how many were on his ship? In the end this thread was meant to be for a Congrats and turned into much more than it was supposed to be! This happened 2 days ago now honestly no matter how it was accomplished it did get done.
Thank you. I left a message on @Troonys profile (explaining things further, to avoid derailing of this thread anymore).

Congrats. to all again. ;)

Back