Speed and broadsides

FastRhino

Dockworker
I'm a new player who used to play the original game a lot as a kid... and I've read around enemy ships were given a speed boost to make it a bit more challenging... however I think the speed was bumped up a bit too much and the broadsides weren't compensated.... It kind of seems like the broadsides are still aiming at where they should be at base speed.

Maybe I've not played enough to see if it gets better in the late game but sinking a simple light galleon or sloop seems exceedingly more difficult than it should be. I have tried aiming my port holes in front, behind, and directly at the enemy ships and it just doesn't seem to be consistent in anyway... If someone could explain if I am correct in my assumption or if I am doing it wrong with how things were buffed/nerfed in this version it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a new player who used to play the original game a lot as a kid... and I've read around enemy ships were given a speed boost to make it a bit more challenging... however I think the speed was bumped up a bit too much and the broadsides weren't compensated.... It kind of seems like the broadsides are still aiming at where they should be at base speed.

Maybe I've not played enough to see if it gets better in the late game but sinking a simple light galleon or sloop seems exceedingly more difficult than it should be. I have tried aiming my port holes in front, behind, and directly at the enemy ships and it just doesn't seem to be consistent in anyway... If someone could explain if I am correct in my assumption or if I am doing it wrong with how things were buffed/nerfed in this version it would be greatly appreciated!
Allow me to help.
The broadsides are generally terrible!
Welcome to the forums!

I think you just need to get used to the way the enemy ships behave and you'll start to get how to sink them, it's a learning curve. At first it is harder than potco but once you get the hang of it it's not really harder, just different. I've come to like it better than potco now. Remember when they changed the sailing mechanics in 2010, everyone had trouble at first but then later all agreed that it was better.

Lol, you been spamming broadsides again:D
LOL, well, I'll tell you this; I've been able to master the reverse opposite direction broadside (the one that shoots out the rear, in the opposite direction).
When that one fires, you stop turn your ship into the direction the broadside misfired and the Warship and/or Hunter sails right into the slow, errant shot, perfectly!
Then you gotta start up again and move in the opposite direction you steered into.
I've also perfected the straight on rear shot, where when you pass an easy target while moving straight ahead (as in not turning any way at all) you fire at it and the rear shot hits the Hunter/Warship (or both) directly behind you.
Finally, there's the shoot right while steering left shot, which results in a rear angle shot but manages to hit the enemy anyway.
I'm getting used to it...

LOL, well, I'll tell you this; I've been able to master the reverse opposite direction broadside (the one that shoots out the rear, in the opposite direction).
When that one fires, you stop turn your ship into the direction the broadside misfired and the Warship and/or Hunter sails right into the slow, errant shot, perfectly!
Then you gotta start up again and move in the opposite direction you steered into.
I've also perfected the straight on rear shot, where when you pass an easy target while moving straight ahead (as in not turning any way at all) you fire at it and the rear shot hits the Hunter/Warship (or both) directly behind you.
Finally, there's the shoot right while steering left shot, which results in a rear angle shot but manages to hit the enemy anyway.
I'm getting used to it...
I didn't mean to say that the backfire bug isn't annoying, it's something that you can work with but it needs fixing, lol.

Back