Blog Post Spotlight: The Storm Sphere

The Crew

TLOPO Staff
Spotlight: The Storm Sphere
Posted by Myrna

News Post Image

Ahoy,

By now you have heard about the nefarious Captain Zephyr Windshadow, but what you don’t know about are his capabilities. Before you engage this fearsome foe, you must know about the Storm Sphere, his weapon of choice.

The Storm Sphere was powered by the Shrine of the Watcher, an altar that held incredible voodoo properties. The vile captain weasled his way into our town with only one motive in sight: that very same shrine. For months, he dug his way into the rock behind our town hall, searching for his prize. When Windshadow finally arrived at the Watcher's burial, he changed Hollowed Woods forever.

Using his dark voodoo magic, Windshadow absorbed the Watcher's power and encapsulated it into a single sphere. Her essence, her very life, manifested itself into electricity that he now controlled.

With this haunted grenade, Windshadow became one of the most powerful men in the Caribbean. Be wary of this weapon, for its Maelstrom Charge is enough to seriously harm the even strongest pirate.

This grenade is critical for Windshadow to escape from the Town Hall, it’s much too powerful for my spell. I need you to get here before it’s too late. Help me stop him! If you manage to survive, you can maybe steal the Storm Sphere off his hands. I wish you the best of luck.

Fair winds,

Myrna

View this post on the TLOPO website

Oooh some good news! The big brain play would be to nerf the base damage of standard grenade ammos but keep maelstrom charge and hollowed flame as they are.
I lean toward leaving grenades as they are except the Green Ornament Grenade that could be nerfed to make grenades generally follow peoples expectations of famed being more powerful than rare and legendary being more powerful than famed without radically changing grenades in general.

They also are just obscenely strong right now. A 10 damage weapon (that you get for free) charged up does more than most pistols in the game fully charged with favorable ammo match up
The way that they are currently is very similar to the way they were in potco and so I’m against your plans to generally nerf them on that basis. In potco I used to siege the gold room lots and lots and it generally took 2 nades to drop all the enemies there with very occasional times where it required me to Sword the remaining health of one or two, this is very similar to the current original nade in tlopo.

They also are just obscenely strong right now. A 10 damage weapon (that you get for free) charged up does more than most pistols in the game fully charged with favorable ammo match up
Eh it's not really free because you have to do a boring quest to get it and it does make sense that grenades are stronger than pistols in fact if you were to examine the damage of a grenade and a gun in real life the grenade will most likely do more damage.

The way that they are currently is very similar to the way they were in potco and so I’m against your plans to generally nerf them on that basis. In potco I used to siege the gold room lots and lots and it generally took 2 nades to drop all the enemies there with very occasional times where it required me to Sword the remaining health of one or two, this is very similar to the current original nade in tlopo.

Just because it was like that in potco doesn't mean it was perfect

We want the game to be better than it's predecessor

Just because it was like that in potco doesn't mean they didn't think they were to strong. It just means they hadn't gotten around to looking at it to balance it. Same with alot of things.

Eh it's not really free because you have to do a boring quest to get it and it does make sense that grenades are stronger than pistols in fact if you were to examine the damage of a grenade and a gun in real life the grenade will most likely do more damage.

the grenades are alot easier to get than say looting the lost blade of Leviathan.

That's also not nessecarily true especially when you get into the realm of armor piercing rounds and high powered rifles.

Just because it was like that in potco doesn't mean they didn't think they were to strong. It just means they hadn't gotten around to looking at it to balance it. Same with alot of things.

the grenades are alot easier to get than say looting the lost blade of Leviathan.

That's also not nessecarily true especially when you get into the realm of armor piercing rounds and high powered rifles.
It's still not free though and this is probably why disney never really made or released any other grenades because like you said they knew they were too strong. I think the developers could just make stronger enemies that have more hp, aren't pushovers and they're not bosses. I forgot to clarify that you shouldn't use modern guns to test the damage vs a typical grenade because this game is based in the 17th century and pirates didn't have those modern high powered rifles.

Last edited:
I forgot to clarify that you shouldn't use modern guns to test the damage vs a typical grenade because this game is based in the 17th century and pirates didn't have those modern high powered rifles.
they also didnt have grenades that conveniently blew up on impact, were reliable in exploding 100% of the time, and weighed nothing so you can lug around a few hundred, and have a near-infinite supply tbh

I agree that since the game is a privately owned entity it can be any way the owners want it to be as long as they have the capability to make it that way. Regardless, I would like the original potco parts of the game to be as close to the way that they were in 2013 as possible and am against “improvements” to that part of the game. I’m all for improvements and new content but would like such things to be isolated from the original parts of the game as was done earlier with the introductions of Hollowed Woods and Forsaken Shallows. I’m against such “improvements”, not at all what I would call them, as the Copperhead nerf and the apparently coming grenade nerf. These things are changing the balance of the original game, I’d be fine with them if the changes were not applied in original game areas but had the different performance in new areas of the game. I am a single person voicing my single opinion and do not speak for a large constituency.

Fun fact of the day: From what we've found while doing our research, the original POTCO developers had definitely intended to nerf grenades at some point, but never got around to doing it.

Back