Announcement Stability Notice (2/3)

2/3/18 @ 3:15PM EST:

Jolly Roger's curse has seemed to spread to our internal systems! We're looking into connection and lag issues related to our release of invasions. We appreciate your patience and understanding!

Rest assured, this update was tested extensively in our QA environment. We did as much synthetic testing as we could with simulated player counts - though nothing can completely prepare us for a real production test. We're reviewing our systems now and assessing how to better handle the load generated from both a MASSIVE number of players (we broke our record again - 1,200 players online!) and waves of enemies.

Thanks to everyone for participating in and witnessing the first ever invasion in TLOPO - and the first invasion we've seen as a whole since 2013. We'll keep you all updated!

UPDATE: We believe that we have identified the issue with invasions. We extensively tested invasions for weeks on our QA servers - we are hopeful that this next change will fix the problems. However, if they persist we will work tirelessly to figure out their cause. We apologize for any inconvenience.

A bottleneck existed within our systems. Our infrastructure has something called a "state server" - this server keeps track of objects such as players, enemies, and movement. We had only ONE state server driving all 16 shards. We've dedicated a state server to EACH shard now, to hopefully eliminate the inundation of requests to one singular point.

During the invasion, I was sent to jail. When I got out of jail, my life remained empty and blinking... I couldnt die but I also couldn't attack. I was able to revive other pirates right next to Jolly. Not sure if that is a glitch or anything you guys might be able to fix. Thought you might like to know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 3.31.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 3.31.48 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 142
2/3/18 @ 3:15PM EST:

Jolly Roger's curse has seemed to spread to our internal systems! We're looking into connection and lag issues related to our release of invasions. We appreciate your patience and understanding!

Rest assured, this update was tested extensively in our QA environment. We did as much synthetic testing as we could with simulated player counts - though nothing can completely prepare us for a real production test. We're reviewing our systems now and assessing how to better handle the load generated from both a MASSIVE number of players (we broke our record again - 1,200 players online!) and waves of enemies.

Thanks to everyone for participating in and witnessing the first ever invasion in TLOPO - and the first invasion we've seen as a whole since 2013. We'll keep you all updated!

Thank you!! A very exciting and nostalgic day for sure!!

I had fun during the event, didn't get any codes except the zombie one but I was not there for that anyway. Once I knew there was going to be an invasion I was super excited to experience it again. My QA experience in many games automatically triggered some anxiety of the way it was going to behave once the waves started but, as has been pointed out by JFR,MMDR,etc. there were issues. Crashed a couple of times before the invasions started, then once when Jolly was near the mansion, but still had fun seeing the keg runners and waves come from the oceans.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH from a veteran POTCO player and props to the further development of the game to all staff members!

Just DDOS them next time to see how they stand up :)) good job with the game tho. Big Up
Probably wouldn't work. As I understand it, ddos just floods the ports at the packet service level and would do nothing to test the internal servers themselves. Like they said, nothing tests it better than throwing it out there to the actual users/gamers.

Probably wouldn't work. As I understand it, ddos just floods the ports at the packet service level and would do nothing to test the internal servers themselves. Like they said, nothing tests it better than throwing it out there to the actual users/gamers.
They should test the outsides with DDOS and the insides by using players and bots in the worst case simulating all the playerbase being online at the same time and doing something heavy, like mat runs or just staying on the beach in port royale.

Just DDOS them next time to see how they stand up :)) good job with the game tho. Big Up
you ever try to do that i'm putting my child mind on off mode because i'm 22 and thats when the law is called ddosing is not allowed in the usa or anywhere in the world if you try to do anything to the game or any one in it i will get the law invoted don't push it this game means that much to me I know if you ddos some one if will get should down and none of the staff or devs not ever I will be able to save it it will just be like 2013 all over again dont do that. Please no ones here to get any one if you ddos any your most like to go to jail because you going to be hitting a lot more then you think i know this dont do it.

They should test the outsides with DDOS and the insides by using players and bots in the worst case simulating all the playerbase being online at the same time and doing something heavy, like mat runs or just staying on the beach in port royale.
"or just staying on the beach in port royale."
Where else but tlopo can one stand on the beach and watch people line up color coordinated and then play musical clothes while simultaneously flexing and scratching their heads.
That's why I like this game. Way too much excitement.

As of 6:12 pm est, tlopo still offline for updates.

Back