Suggestion Staff Needs A Buff

Are staves underpowered?

• Total voters

frankiexile

Sea Legs
The way I see it is: a siege charge at level 5 can hit for 5.2k on red tag enemy while a level 8 flaming skull with level 7 spirit mastery only hits for 3k on a red tag enemy. The amount of time it takes to throw a siege charge vs the amount of time it takes to charge any staff skill is insane. Not to mention the fact that staff is supposed to be an end game weapon and the quest to achieve it is long and arduous; yet it is one of the worst weapons in the game. I understand that this is how it was in POTCO but honestly over time they probably would have given the staff a buff anyway somewhere down the line. Or nerfed siege charges and take aim. Now that the game is in the hands of honest devs that respond to community feedback, I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to balance the staff's damage output with the other lower level weapons (preferably make the damage higher than those weapons considering it is the final weapon).

PS: And I also do not think that adding a legendary staff with 70 attack on it with a 0.1% chance of dropping in the game will solve this issue at all. Just putting that out there in case that was already being considered as a "fix"

Last edited:
I'd beg to disagree. Buffing the damage on staff only further escalates the actual issue-- Grenades being so brokenly overtuned. I think what this post rather is looking to do is some sort of indirect nerf to grenades, which is what feels more necessary. With that being done, I feel like a simple extra 10-20% damage to each skill respectively could fix it.

PS: A staff with 70 attack wouldn't compare to grenades regardless, so there's no way that this could be a fix for an issue like this in the first place.

Last edited:
Staff takes long to charge for something like Flame. Short range Wither is good if you're surrounded by Jolly's minions and no keg is near.

However, Staff does affect enemies near the target -- you can flame at least two others nearby -- so it has a grenade-like effect that way.

A compromise solution might be to strengthen the basic function 1 of staff so you can quickly zap with something more than a light tap.

I'd beg to disagree. Buffing the damage on staff only further escalates the actual issue-- Grenades being so brokenly overtuned. I think what this post rather is looking to do is some sort of indirect nerf to grenades, which is what feels more necessary. With that being done, I feel like a simple extra 10-20% damage to each skill respectively could fix it.

PS: A staff with 70 attack wouldn't compare to grenades regardless, so there's no way that this could be a fix for an issue like this in the first place.

Yes I did mention in the post that nerfing siege charges and take aim are options

I completely agree! Staffs are one of my favorite weapons.. I just wish they were actually useful, especially bosses :/

The way I see it is: a siege charge at level 5 can hit for 5.2k on red tag enemy while a level 8 flaming skull with level 7 spirit mastery only hits for 3k on a red tag enemy. The amount of time it takes to throw a siege charge vs the amount of time it takes to charge any staff skill is insane. Not to mention the fact that staff is supposed to be an end game weapon and the quest to achieve it is long and arduous; yet it is one of the worst weapons in the game. I understand that this is how it was in POTCO but honestly over time they probably would have given the staff a buff anyway somewhere down the line. Or nerfed siege charges and take aim. Now that the game is in the hands of honest devs that respond to community feedback, I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to balance the staff's damage output with the other lower level weapons (preferably make the damage higher than those weapons considering it is the final weapon).

PS: And I also do not think that adding a legendary staff with 70 attack on it with a 0.1% chance of dropping in the game will solve this issue at all. Just putting that out there in case that was already being considered as a "fix"
Oh, never mind, I thought by your title you were implying about tlopo staff. My bad.

I'm against buffing or nerfing existing weapons, I want them to be as they were in potco. I do think some rebalancing of weapons is in order and should be done by the introduction of new more powerful weapons that have been selected to even out the top level weapons in the game.

New more powerful staves would be a good addition.

Although I like the new grenades that have been added I do feel it was wrong to add more powerful grenades when the existing one was already quite OP.

I also feel that Broadswords are out of whack in the sword genre as the top ones have both the highest sword dps and can hit multiple enemies at the same time, the top Cutlasses and Sabres, imo, should have higher dps than the top Broadswords.

Back