Stephanie King's .......... IT

Dreamcatcher

Honorable Pirate
Stephanie King's

IT

Forward

I have always loved the Autumn, it is easily my favorite one of the four seasons. The crisp New England mornings, the leaves changing colors, giant pumpkins and hot cider at fairs, and of course, Halloween. It seems Halloween becomes larger and busier every year, and it goes by much too fast now.

Remembering back to when I was growing up it was a very long month, waiting forever to go trick or treating on the 31st, and then when it finally got here, it was over in a blink, except for the mountainous candy coma aftermath. These days it is a month long event, cramming in as many parties, scary movies, and haunted houses as you can, on nearly every October weekend.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but scaring the bejesus out of people is big business here in New England. Spookyworld, Canobie Lake Park Screemfest, and Six Flags Fright Fest, to name three, have massive horror theme parks here, with multiple haunted houses in each. They are always packed, you always have a great time, and really, who doesn't like a night of candy apples and screaming your bloody head off?

The most entertaining place on earth on Halloween night is hands down the "Witch City", Salem, Massachusetts, and if you have never been, it is ground zero for a wicked good time. Witch museums with reenactments of actual witch trials, real dungeons with torture devices from the 1600s, and costumes-costumes-costumes wherever you go. It seems like it's a law to be in costume in Salem on Halloween.... um, I think they are costumes, anyway.... it simply has to be seen to be believed.

A good playful scare is fun, it gets your heart pumping, and your blood flowing. In fact, a Dr. had even told me once that "screaming your lungs out as some dude in a hockey mask chases you past the fried dough stand with a rubber knife, while grunting "Kill! Kill! Kill!", as you hide behind the laughing detail cop that's eating a fried Twinkie," was very healthy for you. Alright, alright, it was Dr. Frankenstein, but he IS technically a Dr, he just doesn't work on the living very often.

So anyway, seeing as it's October, I thought it would be fun to do something Halloweenie, like take a haunted hayride and listen to a scary story. Please climb up on the creaky flatbed wagon, take a seat, and when the sun goes down we will depart.

We shall travel the dark and twisting dirt path through the woods, ride the streets of the .....um, mostly ....deserted village, and perhaps linger in the the old abandoned Tortuga graveyard for a bite. No, there is no food on this trip, we are the food.

In between all of the overly friendly residents of the forest approaching the wagon, to ah, "meat" and greet us, I will attempt to weave us an unsettling Halloween tale as best I can.

The story is loosely adapted from the Stephen King book "It", and takes place in the Caribbean instead of Maine, and is set in the present day. The players are myself, and five of my Forum peeps, who were unknowingly shanghaied into joining in on the macabre fun, like it or not.

I have consulted my lawyer, and was told that since I only used first names, if they try to sue, they haven't got a leg to stand on. And they very well may not have any legs at all by the time the story is over, anyway. Or heads, for that matter.

If you have read King's book, you know "It" is a classic story of good vs evil, much like "The Stand" was, and both have always been two of my favorite books. I took the basic structure of the story and tried to add a dash of pirate to it, to more reflect the characters, who are now adults, and are twenty five years separated from Tortuga and their pirate days.

Also, King's books were always laced with a sometimes haunting 50s and 60s soundtrack, which is the music he grew up with, and fit amazingly well into his stories. I decided to keep that theme, and I hope, selected several songs which reflected the events in the chapter.

Whenever possible the original was used, but Youtube sometimes worked against that, so another was chosen. I think they work, but it isn't my judgement that matters, it is the readers. I realize most here aren't into oldies, but those are the breaks.

Ahh, the woods are finally dark at last...... and the wagon will now leave the relative safety of the well lit main road. Please, do not exit the wagon while it is moving, for we shall not be returning for you.

My name? It is of little importance on this journey, but if you must, you may call me Stephanie King. I am your...mostly living... guide, and I will point out areas of interest along our trip, and in between, attempt to relate to you a tale of seven childhood friends and a promise. A promise that was made at the end of a horrible, bloody summer, 25 long years ago, and one that they will all most assuredly die in honoring.

Some promises are more than just simple ones, even those made between twelve year olds. Some may define and shape the direction of our entire lives, while others may simply just eat us alive.

The wagon is now nearing the Tortuga sewers up on the left, and no Timmy, it is far too late for you to go home, sit down. We are passing the large outflow pipe now...shhh, do not even breathe...if IT sees you as we pass, I cannot help, no one can. Whew, we somehow made it past, unfortunately the last group was not quite so lucky.

As we now travel deeper into the woods, the only advise that I can offer is, if you happen to see a clown with large, blood stained teeth, who looks a bit like Tim Curry, do NOT look into his eyes. That is where IT lives. Oh, and if the clown offers to give you a balloon ... a dark blood red balloon ... well, I imagine that running would be a very good idea........

Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 1

The phone must have been ringing for quite a long time before it managed to claw its way through my alcohol hazed sleep. It was midnight, and I had been drinking and writing for most of the day and night, and had only just poured myself into bed. The deadline for the latest book was looming, and I had been feeling especially evil today, so the blood and the rum had been splattering heavily onto the pages.

I never have understood why Horror is looked down on by so many critics as not a legitimate form of writing, but there are ones that seem to feel the entire genre is somehow beneath them. I can still recall the interview I did for "A Fistful Of Horrors", my first, um, stab at writing. The interview had begun badly, and then had quickly spiraled downhill from there.

A very brusque and somewhat condescending reviewer had asked me, "Why on earth would such a ...seemingly... bright little girl, write those .....horror books?" He had spat out the word "Horrorrrrr" as if it were a curse word, obviously trying to get a reaction from me, perhaps to punch up his shows rather flaccid ratings.

I can distinctly remember staring at his amazingly bad comb over for a very uneasy length of time, and then simply stating: "That it was because nightmares are like headaches, some people get them, and some people give them. Not unlike rude basic cable entertainment reporters, who review books that they have obviously never even read." Needless to say, the follically challenged gentleman did not give me two thumbs up. The book sold well regardless, and "For A Few Horrors More" had sold even better.

Bleary eyed, I sat up on the bed and thought to myself, nothing good had ever come from a midnight call, they were nearly always bad news. Picking up the phone, I rubbed my eyes, and not recognizing the caller, really hoped that it was a wrong number. Of course, it wasn't.

The woman's voice on the other end of the line asked for me, and I said yes, and inquired as to what this was about. The voice hesitated for a long moment, and then like a sucker punch to the gut said, "Tia is dead. She was butchered last night in the swamp, and her heart was ripped out of her chest and eaten."

I couldn't speak, I just sat there praying that this was some sick practical joke. Again, it wasn't. They had found her in her shack in the swamp, the caller said, still clutching her talisman in her hand, with her face frozen in terror. In the other hand was the locket with a picture of Tia and I together when I was a child, back in a time when smiling had seemed to come a whole lot easier.

The voice on the phone seemed very familiar, but I couldn't place it. She paused for a moment after telling me, and then finally said in a tired sounding whisper, "IT ... has come back. We didn't really kill It that summer, we thought we did, but It just went back to sleep...and waited. The cycle is beginning again. Please come home now, we all made a promise."

I sleepily replied, "Promise? I don't remember any promise. Who is this?" There was silence for a moment, then she said, "Of course you don't remember, none of you do. But It will kill again unless you all come. We have to end it this time, we won't get another chance. Please come home. Tia's funeral is in two days, I think she really would expect you to attend." Then I heard the phone click, and the line went dead in my hand.

As I sat on the side of the bed and stared out the window at the crescent moon, it seemed to look like a dagger hanging over me up in the sky. I looked over at the empty glass of rum on the nightstand, cursed under my breath, and got up and went into the living room and put on the TV.

Not surprisingly, there was nothing on the news about it, since the game had closed, Channel 5 in Boston had stopped covering the Potco islands, and moved on to the LOTRO and the Scrolls realms, so I turned it off and went over to make a drink. I had no idea what I had poured in the glass, and my face made a grimace when I took a large gulp, and tasted Irish whiskey in it. I put the glass back on top of the cabinet, and rummaged around underneath.

I pulled out a few bottles that weren't to my liking, and saw a dusty one, way in the back behind the pomegranate passion brandy. I looked at the label declaring "now with a bold splash of extra tart persimmon", as if that somehow made it better. The bottle of rum had to be almost 25 years old, I seem to remember that someone had given it to me after .... after... hmmm, after something, but I can't seem to remember why.

Taking the bottle, I sat back in the chair and looked at the label, Gunner's Reserve, it said. I had always found it very odd that a teetotaler like Gunner would be in the rum business, he had always seemed such a soft spoken, clear eyed gentleman. I opened it, poured a generous amount into the glass, and then took a taste.

The rum was very smooth going down, and I looked over the label again. Turning it around, I only saw a stamp at the bottom with the bottled on date, and when I read it, I nearly dropped it to the floor like it had bitten me. The cork had been stuffed into it's chipped and scratched neck exactly 25 years ago today, and I suddenly felt as if I was walking across someones grave.

Getting a flashlight, I went down to the basement and over to the far corner, and opened up the large cedar chest full of things that I hadn't seen in years. Wiping off the cobwebs from the top, I reached down and found it at the bottom. The wood was stained, and I had lost the key to it long ago, but it was still there.

It was the grandest pirate chest I had ever seen, I thought then, and I had bugged Mom until she had gotten it for me for my birthday. It wasn't grand at all. Even new, it was a cheap looking hunk of fake wood from China. I guess young eyes see things older ones didn't, I thought, while closing the big chest and taking the little one upstairs to figure out how to get it open without breaking it.

I sat for hours at the kitchen table, drinking rum and trying in vain to pick that cheap lock, but it seemed like it didn't want to be opened. I threw the pick on the table and gave out a slurred arrr, and as I upended what was left in the rum bottle into my glass, I heard a tinkling noise from inside.

Upending the bottle again, I shook it over the empty pizza box on the table, and out fell a tiny silver key. No, the rum eyes must be playing tricks I thought, as I was reaching for it. I picked up the key, rolled it over in my hand, and then flicked off the anchovy that was stuck to it.

I drained the glass of rum, and went to insert the key in the lock, thinking to myself, this was stupid, how could it possibly fit that lock? It fit, but I guess some part of me knew that it would, and I immediately felt very cold, like someone was walking across MY grave. I turned the key, and heard the lock click open, now suddenly afraid of what I would find inside.

Sitting on the top of the pile of photos and trinkets was the same picture that Tia had been holding when they had found her. My shaking hand reached for the glass of rum, but it was empty. "Why is it always empty" I muttered, and I held the picture to my chest and put my head down on the table and began to cry.

I woke up with the sun streaming in my eyes, and a pepperoni glued on my forehead. I flung it into the pizza box, then got up and made coffee, I was going to need it. As I stepped out of the shower, I heard the machine gurgling, and I dried off and filled up a mug and sat down again.

Each thing that I took out of the chest was another layer of my younger life, some I hadn't seen in years, and some I swear I had never seen before. Pictures of my parents when they were young, old school items, and a broken Wang Chung cassette that my '94 metallic tangerine Ford Probe had eaten, all brought back a flood of memories. But the pile of pictures on the table of people I could not recall was getting larger, and the most frightening part of it was, I was in all of them.

I got a red eye flight to Florida that night, then found a pilot that would get me into Cuba quickly. The price was high, but I had little time to find a bargain rate. We landed at a remote section on Rumrunners, and I scanned the beach as they stowed me on the small dinghy.

Silently, I wondered if the cellar I had spent that first night in after leaving Tia, cold and alone, was still there. Odd I can remember that, but so much from that time is just a blank. As the tiny boat was rowed across the bay, I could hear the birds on Ravens Cove engaged in their annoying chatter. We landed in Cuba, and I looked at the small shacks, the bar, and the shipwright, and suddenly remembered what a dump this place was.

As I waded through the water to the ramp, the alligators just stared at me, somehow looking sad and without purpose, I thought. Walking up the ramp to the swamp seemed more like I was climbing the steps to the gallows, there wasn't a single sound that could be heard from the other side.

I emerged onto the platform that overlooked a swamp that had been so familiar to me at one time, but now looked like a different place. I ran my hand over the half rotted railing, and it took me a few minutes to realize that the swamp had not changed a bit, I had been the one who had changed.

Like Peter Pan, I had grown up and I had left most of my childhood wonder and magic in this swamp, I thought sadly. Walking down the ramp, I still heard not a single noise, it was as if every creature in the swamp was asleep. But I could feel them watching me, every last one of them, as I climbed up the creaky steps to the door to Tia's shack.

Opening the door, I went to the tiny table in the middle of the room and lit a candle, bathing the room in eerie, flickering shadows. As I walked around the room, memories of what I once was came flooding back to me with everything I saw or touched. I stared at the pictures on the wall, then walked over to the small kitchen and looked at the empty pot on the counter and said, "I want some of your pudding, Tia. Its been so long since I've tasted your pudding."

I touched the pot and I closed my eyes, and memories of her putting a bowl of it on the table in front of a tiny me flashed by like a movie in my mind. The spoon looked enormous in my little hand, as I sat waiting for her to bring her own, so we could eat. I took my hand off the pot, and the vision was gone, and I just stood staring at the empty pot in a daze.

"I M-m-m-m-miss you, T-t-t-tia. I wish I had c-c-c-come home sooner." I stuttered to the empty room. Ugh. Stop it, I thought, immediately disgusted with myself. It had been 25 years since I had gotten over that awful stuttering, and I still cannot forget most of my childhood being plagued by it. I had a pet turtle then, and I would watch him pull his head and legs into his shell and hide from the world. God, how I had envied that turtle back then.

The more it had happened, the harder my mind had tried not to let it, and that had just made it worse. I can remember the looks people always had given me, and I can still remember my Fathers look too. I will take that look to my grave, he may as well have just called me a dummy. It hadn't happened since I had left here, and moved to Boston. Actually, ran away might be a better term. My God, I thought, I really needed a strong drink right now.

Peeking through the door to the modest back room we had both slept in, I saw that it looked exactly the same as the day I had left. She had never even taken my bed out, and that first doll she had given me still sat on the pillow, as if waiting for me. I picked it up, and tried to cast a spell with it, but it quickly became clear that the grown up me had forgotten how.

I lay down on the bed and held the doll tight, thinking to myself that Tia must be ashamed of me right now. My last thought was that the doll felt warm in my arms, before I fell asleep in that silent and lonely room, sitting in a swamp that seemed like it was in mourning for it's Mother.

End chapter 1

Last edited:
I hate cliffhangers...:) so... continue to write as soon as ye can as (I just know) I am going to have some "nightmare" :skullpeak:tonight as I dream about the inside of Tia's (POTCO) cabin, lol.

Excellent plot!

I am sorry then, I must have misinterpreted your Wut. :facepalm:

I hate cliffhangers...:) so... continue to write as soon as ye can as (I just know) I am going to have some "nightmare" :skullpeak:tonight as I dream about the inside of Tia's (POTCO) cabin, lol.

Excellent plot!

TY Shamus and Nate, it is very nice to receive feedback on something that you spent some time putting work into, and as always, it is much appreciated.

I love cliffhangers!!! And I have always believed that cliffhangers teach us something about learning to have patience in our lives, which in turn builds character, and God knows, all of us humans need more of both these days. So, you will have 8 more weeks of patience to learn, isn't that wonderful?

(Channeling Yoda voice now......)
"Nightmaaaares? Ohhh, FAR was it from nightmares those were! Begun thou hast not to experience true nightmares, my large, Brutish friend. But will you shall ... oh yes ... will you shall. Take this pretty red balloon, and come, and follow me on a journey deep into the dank and fetid sewers beneath Tortuga ... and show you will I a TRUE nightmare......" :excited:

Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 2

Waking up, I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, and then looked down at my legs, which were hanging a foot off the tiny bed. Yeah, I suppose I had grown a bit since the last time I had been in it. As I rose to get up, a spider the size of a shot glass was dangling on his web nearly an inch from my face, staring at me.

My heart skipped a beat, and I jumped, and fell out of the bed and rolled across the floor away from it. For as long as I can remember I have always been deathly afraid of spiders, I can't really say why, I just have. I stepped out of the room, and there were two bowls with spoons sitting on the kitchen table, with a napkin next to one bowl, and I felt a bit like a red headed Goldilocks for a moment.

Was it possible I had put them there in my sleep? I stared at the single napkin on the table, and then immediately looked down at my sleeve, which was smeared with something. My face went pale as I just then remembered Tia always joking about my using my sleeve like a savage, and she had stopped putting out napkins for me at some point. I can distinctly remember having had left that nasty, childish habit in Tortuga, when I had moved to Boston. I raised my arm to my nose, and I could swear that I smelled pudding on it.

I suddenly had an overwhelming need to be anywhere except here right now, I thought maybe the bar for some coffee. I flew out the door to the dock and saw just about every creature in the swamp gathered around it, and staring up at me. All at once they cried out together in a deafening sound when they saw me, and I didn't have to understand their words to know that they were singing a chorus of grief.

Looking down at the edge of the dock in front of them, I saw scratched into the wooden planks, by claws it appeared, were the words "Kill. IT." There was another roar, and then they stepped back and parted, making a pathway to the other ramp, pretty much all telling me that it was time for me to leave.

The half asleep shipwright was nice enough to sell me a light sloop, cheap, and I sailed in the direction of Tortuga. What I was looking for, I had no idea, but I had the feeling it would most likely find me.

Pulling ashore on Tortuga beach, I saw that it was completely deserted, there wasn't even a single twelve year old running around looking for a date. I quickly checked the server, and saw it was Abassa, which made it even curiouser. I secured the anchor in the sand, then walked up the path towards the Faithful Bride, figuring that if something was going to find me, it may as well find me drinking.

Entering the dingy tavern, I sat down in the corner and ordered a grog, and asked if they still had that interesting stew I had tried years ago. The bartender brought me a mug and a bowl, and said, "Just a piece of advice, Miss, I wouldn't be a wanderin' around after dark these days. There is some bad business going on here lately." I told him I had heard of it, and thanks for the warning, I'd be careful.

It was quiet tonight, there were just a few card players at the poker table, and another woman who was sitting alone in the other corner, drinking an ale, and reading "Annabel Lee". Nice, I think Poe would approve, seeing as he had spent most of his short and incredibly lonely life inside of a bottle.

I chewed slowly on a piece of whatever animal that was doing the backstroke in my stew, and silently wondered if Sparrow would be stumbling in tonight. It had been quite a while since anyone had told me that my hair was a lovely shade of beet canning explosion. Quite the charmer, that Jack.

The cab pulled up to the corner on whatever street it was that Tortuga had the nerve to call a downtown, and Rose got out. She looked up and down the block at the newly opened Red Lobster restaurant, the barbershop highlighting mullet cuts in the window, and the movie house advertising "David Hasselhoff: live on stage! One Knight only!", and said, "Holy guacamole, what the heck decade was I just dumped in?" At least it was a departure from New York, she thought, you could slow down and breathe a bit better here, and Lord knows, she had always had trouble with that anywhere.

She was thinking how strange this was, she had not taken a vacation in almost ten years, but she had literally dropped everything when she had gotten that call two days ago from someone she didn't know. Rose had no idea on earth why she had come, perhaps the work was getting to her and she had needed a beach and some rum.

The media representative business she had created had taken off, almost from the moment she had opened the doors. Just this year the firm had cracked the top ten in the country, and her clients seemed to cover every corner of sports and entertainment, and there were very few celebrities that she didn't know. With the exception of a small amount of these so called "Stars" who seemed to be normal, she was convinced they were all spoiled and pampered idiots.

She walked along, looking in a few shops, and stopped in front of the drug store. Pushing the door open, she heard the little bell over the door jingle, and the half dozen or so patrons looked up at her, then went back to their business. She remembered spending a lot of her childhood in here, mostly filling her asthma inhaler spray.

Rose glanced behind the counter at the spot that the druggist, Mr. Brady, had pulled her aside one day and told her that she really didn't have asthma, it was all just in her head, because all that was in the bottle was flavored water. Her Mother, for whatever reason, believed that Rose had asthma, so that meant that she had asthma, and had demanded the medicine.

Brady had humored her to avoid an argument, but it had gone on too long, and felt he had to put a stop to it. Rose hadn't believed him, of course, if anything, it felt like it was getting worse. Especially during .... that horrible summer. Rose didn't know where that thought had come from, or any idea what had been horrible about it, perhaps she had gotten one too many dingy blouses and not enough black corsets that summer. She turned away from the counter, and went over to the magazine rack, and browsed through a couple of them.

She began reading a simply fascinating article on Lady Gaga, who revealed that she will be the villain in the new "Austin Powers" movie, "The Spy Who Shagaga'd Me." As "Dr. She-vil", Gag will lead an army of buttless leather chap clad "Himbots", bent on destroying the Republican party, while saying "Muhahaha" a great deal, and petting her featherless parrot, Ms. Polly-Estermayers. Rose looked up from the magazine to see where the aspirin aisle was, because she suddenly had a headache.

"Roooose" she heard in a soft whisper from above her. "Roooose, I have a balloon for you, Roooose." There was nothing there when she looked up, and she went back to flipping through the magazine. "Roooose" she heard again, "Take a balloon Roooose, it floats. They all float." She looked up again, and dropped the magazine to the floor, there were now balloons floating near the ceiling.

All at once they began slowly dropping, and she looked over behind the counter and a clown was standing there, grinning at her. No one on this side of the counter seemed to be at all surprised that a clown was the druggist. "Look at how they float, Roooose! THEY... AAAALL... FLOAT down in the sewers!" the clown shrieked.

She looked again, and there were now dozens of balloons dropping from out of nowhere, all over the store. They bounced off the counter and floor, and as she heard the clown laugh, they all began to pop, spraying blood on everything in the room. Not a single person at the pharmacy counter seemed to notice any of this, even though they were getting bathed in it. "If you come down here Roooose, I'll KILL you! I'll KILL you ALL! You're all too OLD!" the clown growled, in a voice that sounded like it was echoing up from a rusty drain pipe .

The clown flashed a smile that was much too big for it's face, and had enormous, sharp teeth, and huge bloodshot eyes that stared at her while it laughed. Rose looked down at the blood, and at the others just picking up their prescriptions, and screamed. Every head turned to look at her, as she ran out of the drug store, hitting on her inhaler, and praying for a breath.

I had my face in the bowl of stew, and didn't see the woman approach, until she dropped the old photo onto the table in front of me. I wiped my chin with my sleeve, as she said, "You've changed some, but I would recognize you anywhere, Dreamcatcher. Not surprisingly though, that sleeve hasn't changed one bit."

My eyes looked up from the stew at her, and then down at the picture, it was seven people with their arms around each other, all laughing and smiling. I had never seen a single one of them before in my life, except for me, who was dead center in the picture, standing next to the woman who had dropped it on the table.

Looking down at the stew, I pushed it away, as I had suddenly lost my appetite, and picked up my grog and motioned to the bartender for two more. He brought them over, took the half eaten stew away, and left. I turned to the woman and said, "OK, now it's time for the $64 question lady, who the hell are you, and what's going on?" She took a drink of the grog, then said, "That's two questions, actually. I should be playing for the $128 questions."

I sat there and stared at her for a minute, then raised my mug and said, "You're quite the wise butt, I like that in a person. Now who the hell are you?" "The name is Raven" she replied. She reached in her pocket and threw a picture from the sixth grade Tortuga pie eating contest onto the table, with the two of our blueberry covered smiling faces mugging for the camera, then stated, "And we've known each other since grade school. I remember you stuttered a lot back then. I'm glad to see you've gotten over that, it got pretty bad, as I recall.....you have gotten over it, right?"

"Yeah, I've gotten over it ..... mostly" I half whispered, while looking down in my glass. "I'm sorry" she said, "That wasn't very polite of me, but unfortunately I don't have time to be polite, I need you to remember. Fast." She took a drink of the grog, and went on, "There's a reason that you all forgot what happened during that summer, if you hadn't, none of you would ever have come back here, or perhaps worse."

"And tragically on that note, Ned Stormfury will not be joining us" she said, pointing at him in the photo on the table, the guy with the spit eating grin. The face didn't seem familiar, but I said, "I t-t-think I remember that name, didn't he used to do anything on a d-d-dare? He never seemed to be afraid of anything. If I recalled that right." "Yes, you recalled right, but after I talked with him, he was afraid enough of coming back here to take a midnight bubble bath with a toaster oven" she declared.

"Wait, you're the one who called me about Tia" I said angrily. "God, you really need to work on your news breaking skills a bit lady, they stink." Raven looked down at her grog now, and said, "Yes, I am sorry, but I always did know how to push your buttons, Dream. It was the only way to get you here, and I knew that. I just hope the others get their butts here soon too, or this won't be a very long fight."

Molly had been researching all night on the net, trying to come up with a new dipping sauce for her coconut-Parmesan chicken bite poppers. Maybe something spicy, that gave you a kick in the pants, perhaps. She hoped to work these into the show soon, and all they needed was a good sauce to nail it.

The new ratings had come in a few days ago, and she now had the #1 show on the Food Network, beating out that Giadawhateverhernameis, that seemed to showcase her things as much as her food. She was finally standing on the top step now, she thought to herself, as she reached over and picked up the phone that was ringing intently.

That had been two days ago, and she had somehow talked the brass into shooting a special from the Caribbean, so right now was a free vacation until the crew got here. Molly had no idea who this Raven person was, nor remembered any sort of promise, she was most likely demented, Molly thought.

A Caribbean special was probably gold in the ratings though, so she had come, and she doubted this Raven character would ever be seen. Molly went over to the Tortuga Farmers Market by the jailhouse, to make a list for the show, and to see some of the local flavor of the island.

The place was bustling with activity, and there was just so much to look at, and she wondered what dishes might feature best in front of the camera. The exotic fruits looked good, maybe make some of those huge island drinks in those rustic looking Tiki glasses ...... with lots and lots of rum.

As she was picking through the Ugli fruits, someone bumped into Molly and spilled their drink on her, then drunkenly swore loudly at her for being so clumsy. She glanced next to her, and saw a very wobbly Lindsay Lohan, with her BFF of the week, enjoying her latest permanent vacation, and obviously heavily in training for her next rehab stint.

As Molly watched, "Lilo" tried to fish an elusive kumquat out of her drink, while also attempting to fix a quickly creeping wardrobe malfunction, and ended up spilling most of the enormous double rum Zombie Dance down the shirt of the equally plastered BFF. They looked at the stain, and "Lilo" slurred, "Don't worry, we'll get Ramon on it later" and the BFF replied, "Oh yes, we'll get Ramon on it, alright!"

The two staggered off laughing, and Molly decided to skip the rum, and figured this could have been worse, it might have been Miley twerking a plantain. The two celebs were like train wrecks passing each other, one leaving the station, and the other pulling in.

Moving down a few stands, she saw a table full of fruits she had never seen before in her life, and was very curious. She picked up one that looked like a jar of Hellmann's mayonnaise with a purple crown of flowers sprouting out, and studied it. Looking up at the vendor, Molly asked, "Excuse me, but what is this called?" The short, thin man, with the large, thick mustache replied, "Eet izz a Beelzebulb fruit, they are grown een very large numbers here, but they only grow once every quarter century."

Looking at it closer, she said, "Really? That's a long time in between, what types of ways are they best used?" Molly stared, fascinated at the fruit, as the man said, "They go very well een salads, or weeth cheecken, as they are light and very refreshing. Eef you are also making a punch, they are perfect there too .... because they FLOAT. They AAALL float. And you'll float too, Mollllllly, if you come down here."

Molly's head snapped up when It growled her name, and the little man was gone, a clown juggling blood oranges was standing there now, with a smile that looked like a rusty bear trap. As she looked at him, she felt something on her hand, and looked back down.

The fruit had burst open and dozens of spiders were crawling out of it, and up her arm. The clown smiled wider, and said, "Leave now, while you still have a face, Miss TV star." Molly dropped the fruit and ran, still hearing that vile laugh trailing behind her.

We must have sat at that table for hours, I lost count of how many grogs the bartender had brought over. Raven related to me the accounts of that terrible summer, and as I listened, I slowly began to remember it all, in graphic, bloody detail. Seven people brutally murdered, all had their hearts torn out and eaten, and six of them had been children.

I remembered we were constantly running that summer, either from It, or the Mighty Warlurds guild. Unfortunately for us, I had pointed out to them that they had misspelled their name, and it looked like the Warturds if you only saw it running by. Funny that they had gotten so upset by that, but it seemed the turds had it in for us that entire summer. Talk about a bunch with no sense of humor, the turds were certainly that.

The first one they found that summer was Bonnella, she had been a gypsy on Port Royal. Bonnella had put up a brief struggle, but she was found the next morning under the bridge near the Rowdy Rooster, nearly shredded apart. They had arrested a transient and had a quick hanging, followed by a fair trial, I suppose. The killings hadn't stopped though, and it had happened next on Padres, then Tortuga, where the Tailors daughter Nelly was found stuffed behind the shack in Wildwoods.

"I l-l-liked Nelly. We went f-f-fishing a few times after school" I said. "I remember that she baited her hook with a gummy worm, because she didn't want to h-h-hurt the real worm." I took a big gulp of grog, and just zoned out for a minute, only to be unzoned by Raven snapping her fingers in front of my nose. "Earth to Dream, better get your landing gear down, or it's gonna get bumpy" she laughed. "Sorry, I was somewhere else" I mumbled.

"No matter how hard I try" I said, "I still can't remember what IT looks like, even though I remember us fighting IT." "I don't think you're supposed to" she said, "I only remember because I am the Librarian, or that's what it seems I am. My 25 years here have been spent reading about every gruesome murder that has occurred on these islands, and there is a clear and undeniable pattern to IT's. "

The first documented series of killings started in 1889, and have begun again every 25 years afterwards. Always the exact same number of murders, right down to the one gypsy and six children. Whatever IT is, it sleeps for 25 years, then it awakens and feeds. The police here are either exceptionally dumb, or there's a reason that they haven't seen the pattern."

"I guess I was chosen to be the only one to stay here, maybe they needed a "White Aura" to do this without going mad. Or perhaps it is all because of Georgie." Oh, my God. I had forgotten about her little brother Georgie, and how the hell could I have? "I'm sorry, I just remembered. He was the sixth, wasn't he?" I asked. "Yes" she replied. "And the reason why we all went down there after IT. You guys wouldn't let me go alone."

"What, and miss a chance to slosh through the sewers? No way, Jose. I love a good sewer" I joked. "I suppose it's cleaner than that sleeve of yours" she jabbed, as she saw me wiping the grog off my face. I reached my arm over and went to wipe my sleeve on Raven's leg, and she hissed, and jumped over to the chair further away. I took another drink and laughed, then added, "Pretty dang fast there ... for a Librarian.

End Chapter 2

Last edited:
"Balloons" that ended up exploding all of the sudden with blood in them; yikes (kinda spooky).
:blowup:No doubt; I would be getting the heck out of there if that had happened to me. :bashhead:
~ Great job @Dreamcatcher. :good post:I can't wait to read other chapters!

Shhh, I stole that part from Stephen, don't tell anyone.

TY Shamus, they go up on Wednesdays, but you have to look, as most don't show up in Recent Posts. I'm told it is because of the posting format, it registers as a continuation of previous post sometimes. Actually, that sort of works in my favor here, as in the other format I would be restricted in post length, and I am not in this one. There is nothing worse than spending 15 minutes or so getting a post ready, only to see it is too long and now you have to break it in two. Technology, making life easier, one post at a time.

Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 3

We left the tavern and headed back to Ravens house, where she showed me the massive tomes of newspaper reports about the killings over the years in the islands. I was shocked looking at them, the pattern was so clear, even Eric Holder should have been able to see it, but for whatever reasons, it seems the police were blind to them.

Raven went to the kitchen to put some coffee on, and I got up and walked around the living room, noticing all the pictures scattered about. The bowl of hard candy on the table looked enticing, and I reached in and popped one in my mouth. Interesting, I thought, while making a scrunchy face. I had no idea they even made bacon flavored candy, let alone that someone would actually buy it. I wrapped it in a tissue and tossed it in the trash can, thinking that, "I managed to screw up bacon" should be written on that candy dudes tombstone.

The same shot of the seven of us with our arms around each other was up on the mantel, and suddenly, I knew everyone in it. Molly, Matt, Rose, Red, Ned, Raven, and I. We had been the seven musketeers that summer, lucky seven, and some parts of it had simply been the best summer of my life.

I don't think a single day had passed without us at least seeing each other, if only for a short time, and I could not imagine that summer would ever end. More memories came flooding back to me, as I smiled at the picture. I remembered the cave we found in the Rat's Nest, and it had become our fort, and we defended it from the "monstrous" level two skeletons.

Or "borrowing" that rowboat and going to Port Royal for the day, to play in Fort Charles. I honestly thought that we would all drown in that leaky tub on the way back, but amazingly, we had lived.

The notorious skinny dipping incident in Misty Mire was by far the funniest part of that whole summer. There we were, seven bare arsed and embarrassed kids, trying desperately not to look like embarrassed kids, and Ned the nut job running around posing like Superman.

To this day, I have never laughed that hard, or had closer friends than them, and I am quite sure that I never will. I remember thinking that day, that if Father had found out, my backside would be as red as my face was right now. I stared at the picture and thought, my God, does anyone ever have better friends than they did when they were twelve?

Red dropped her bags in the front hall, put her camera case on the table, and immediately went into the kitchen and began boiling water for a hot dog. There was no getting around it, she thought, Syrian food blows, and all she wanted right now was a dang American tube steak.

In the beginning it had been so much fun, seeing all those places that no one else could go to, but over ten years of plane hopping and it was starting to get old. It had never been nice places either, but there had been good moments, and good people, mixed in with all of the bad.

Somehow managing to stay alive in Afghanistan, and getting the heck out of Baghdad in one piece had not been the easiest of tricks, and she knew it would be a very long time before she could even talk about what she had seen in Syria.

Without a doubt, surviving Berkeley had been the worst though. She had gone in covertly for pictures of the ACLU "Demmy awards" breakfast, honoring the years best and brightest in socialistic liberal-minded nation destroying accomplishments.

Slipping out the back door shortly before the tofu and bean sprout organic salad was served, she hung to the side streets and alleys, and had nearly made it to Oakland before the earth tone colored Volvo with the Pelosi sticker, smelling strangely of french fries, had nailed her, but she had limped off into the woods and escaped.

All of those sets of pictures had won awards though, and had been featured on nearly every front page around the country. She reached up and grabbed the Jack Sparrow BBQ tongs from the silver pirate hook on the wall (which she SAYS were a gift) and laid the steaming wiener into the bun, squirted mustard onto it, and went to check her messages.

The first eight were from magazine editors, wanting her to fly to East Bumchuck on yet another shoot, she wasn't even listening to them as they prattled on. The ninth was some crazy woman who began babbling something about a promise she had made, and she was about to delete them all, until she heard the word Tortuga, and then she nearly choked on the wiener.

Like the others, she had no idea why she had actually came here, but she had come nonetheless. She supposed it was better than sneaking around the Ukraine and ducking bullets, anyway. Red walked around the island for a while, getting reacquainted with a place that she barely remembered, and began taking pictures with the digital camera.

Red saw the ice cream shop she had gone to as a child, and wasn't really sure where that memory had come from. It had always seemed to Red there was a veil hanging over a good deal of her childhood, but a few things from the past were beginning to peek out into the light of day. Walking into the shop, she ordered ..... the usual? .... double scoop of black raspberry, in a bowl, and took it over to a booth by the window.

She ate while taking in the street, occasionally snapping a photo and looking at it to make sure she had gotten it. Something on the seat of the booth caught her eye, and moving the camera case, she saw it was the letters R.S.& L.T. carved into the wood. Lawrence Tanner?

Suddenly, she could picture his face, and her mind saw them carving their initials in the wood, their eyes darting around the room, watching to be sure no one else saw. They had kind of, sort of, more or less, dated that summer, until..... hmm, she just couldn't remember why they had stopped. He had probably moved away or something, they had been twelve for God sake, who knows.

Red stared out the window again, thinking it was odd she had sat in this booth, and on this side. More of the veil was lifting, she thought, as she took a picture of a sweet old couple with canes walking down the other side of the street. She ate some more ice cream and looked at the picture in the viewer, and the old couple were laying on the ground, and there was a clown standing over them, holding a bloody cane .... and looking at Red.

Suddenly, the clown moved in the picture, and started to dance across the street towards Red. The clown came up to the window in the picture, dropped the cane, and took out a gun, which shot one of those funny flags that roll down. This one wasn't funny, it said, "Bang bang-Red's dead." Then he shot again, and it said, "No boat-But you'll float." The last shot said, "Better fly-Or Red dies."

She looked out in the street, and the clown was standing on the other side, holding balloons and waving, as the old couple were walking further up the street. She looked back at the picture, and it was the one she had taken, with no clown in it. Looking out again, the clown was gone, but a blood red balloon was floating away overhead.

Red looked down at the initials and her eyes widened, now remembering why they had stopped dating. Lawrence had been found dead in the sewers that summer, with his heart ripped out of his chest. She suddenly wished she could see the veil, because she really wanted to pull it back down right now.

I woke up to the smell of coffee and bacon frying, and thought, there couldn't possibly be a better smell in the entire world. Going into the bathroom, I turned the shower on, and waited for the steam to begin filling up the room, before stepping under the hot, relaxing spray. I could feel all the tension and anxiety of the last couple days wash down the drain in the floor, if only for a few minutes, anyway.

Shutting off the water, I reached for a towel, and began drying off, when I heard a voice coming up from the drain at my feet. "Rub-a-dub-dub, a d-d-d-dummy in the t-t-tub" It spoke. "Don't bother drying off d-d-dummy, I have a niiice piece of sewer waiting for you. It's wet, and you'll float for ever! You'll AAAAALLLLL float!!!"

I looked down at my feet, and there was an eyeball staring up at me, and I heard teeth biting at the air, echoing through the drain. The eye made a lewd wink, and I dropped the towel on top of the drain, then grabbed my robe and ran out the door, still soaking wet.

Nearly falling down the stairs, I ran into the coffee table, then tripped over the hassock, and finally tumbled, banging my head on Raven's ornate marble sculpture of little naked cherubs dancing around a maple wood carved pig with a halo, waving thick cut hickory smoked bacon crosses. Rubbing my head and cursing at the cherubs, I got to my feet and tripped again, sprawling ungracefully onto the kitchen floor, with my robe tangled around my head, and my rear end staring at the ceiling.

"Good morning, Dream" Raven said looking down at me, "Nice to see your bright, smiling face this early. You never really were a morning person, were you?" I covered up, and said, "I t-t-think we're gonna need a p-p-plumber, with a large b-b-bottle of Drain-o. And m-m-maybe an Uzi."

Matthew stepped off the ferry from Port Royal and took in a view he hadn't seen in 25 years. He had come to fish off this dock, literally minutes before he had left the Caribbean, seemingly forever. He walked down the dock with his bags to the fishmonger, and bought a pole, and then cast his line out. He sat down and tried to remember just why he had returned here after answering that phone call the other day.

His career playing for the Chicago Fire had left him fairly well off, and with a bum knee, but it had been worth it. He held a handful or so of records, and he had even scored two goals in one game. As far as he knew, that has never been accomplished before, as every soccer game he had ever seen ended 1-0. He was probably a first ballot Hall Of Fame candidate, that is assuming soccer had a Hall, he wasn't entirely sure.

The phone call had been a good excuse to get away and think for a while, but he still couldn't remember this promise that woman was talking about, or the woman, for that matter. Something had made him come though, so he would do some fishing and enjoy a vacation, he thought.

He felt his pole tug, and he gave it a jerk, it was probably one of those annoying yellow tangs, he imagined. As it reached the surface, a balloon sprang up, and sat there, bobbing on the gentle waves. He started to reel it in, and as it turned, he saw writing on it. He picked it up and read, "Leave now, or I'll break the other leg. Then your neck."

Matt jumped a bit, and looked around for the wiseguy who put the thing on his hook. His eyes went to the Fishmonger, who was now wearing funny red shoes, and holding more balloons. It grinned at him and spoke, "I like balloons better than lures, they float. You want to float, DON'T YOU, Matty boy?"

Suddenly, the balloon in Matt's hand exploded, and fish chum spewed out, covering him and a few around him, in rotting fish parts. The others kept right on fishing though, like they were blind to it. The clown began to laugh, as Matthew rubbed the chum out of his eyes and said, "I remember you now. And I remember that we killed you in the sewers that day."

The clown laughed again, showing teeth that would make a Great White turn tail, and replied, "Nope, not me, Matty boy. Must have been some other handsome devil. But you'll be dead, if you don't leave." Matthew grabbed his bag and ran, it appeared something other than fish were biting today.

Raven took the chicken fried cheesy bacon cornbread balls off the stove and wiped her hands on her Gene Simmons "Kiss the cook" apron, and opened the spice cabinet. Reaching behind the jars of dried jalapeno and habanero peppers, and moving aside the unopened bottle of tact, she produced a shiny .357. She took off the safety, cocked it, and said, "This is my Ghost Pepper. I can guarantee that you won't want a second bite."

As we walked up the stairs to the bathroom, and there wasn't a sound coming from inside. Standing in front of the shower, I moved the towel away from the drain, and stepped back quickly. With the gun pointed at the drain, I shined a flashlight, and we peered down inside it, but It was gone.

"I won't say you imagined it, because I know better, but there's nothing in there now" Raven said, lowering the pistol. "These old houses make strange noises sometimes, maybe ....."

Just then, a very faint sound of music began rising up from the drain, I couldn't make out what it was, though. It went on for a minute, then it got louder, and we both realized at the same time, that it was carnival music

Then we heard the sound of the carnival midway behind it, with the Barker crying out his pitch to the crowd. "Step right up, step right up! Ladies and d-d-dummies! Come on down, and come on drown! Come and see the freak show! You'll be amazed! Astounded! You'll floooooat!"

"Come see the snooping Librarian, with her nose ground into a human bookmark! See the st-t-t-tuttering d-d-dummy's tongue torn from her yapping mouth, with Father laughing and holding a balloon!!! There's a book for ya to write, d-d-dummy! See Georgie! Ohhh, you'll love to see what I did to little Georgie! He was deliciousssss! Free passes today only! So... come .... on ..... down!"

Neither of us moved, we both just stared down into the drain, trying desperately to come up with a logical reason why we didn't just hear what we had heard. "We're going to kill you this time, you sick son of a beach, you shouldn't have woken up" Raven finally said, and I heard the hammer on the Magnum click back again.

The eyeball was suddenly back, glaring up at us from the drain, and Raven emptied six slugs into It's bloodshot peeper. The eye burst open, and blood came spurting out like a water fountain, covering the shower walls. I slammed the shower door, and I watched it cascade down, as I heard Raven frantically reloading the gun.

After a minute, the blood began receding, and we slowly opened the door and saw the drain was nearly obliterated from the bullets. The only sound was that damm music wafting up, and the sickening gurgle of blood dripping down the jagged hole that was once a drain.

The carnival music suddenly began to get fainter, and trailed off, until it could not be heard anymore. We just stood there looking at the grapefruit sized hole in the floor, for what seemed like hours, the Magnum still pointed at it. I finally turned to Raven and said, "Well, I d-d-don't know about you, b-b-but I c-c-could really go for a nice pair of bacon balls right now."

End Chapter 3

Last edited:
Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 4

Tia's funeral was at 10am on the beach in Cuba, and Raven and I sailed over to attend. A pyre had been built on a raft, and she would be sent out into the lagoon to be consumed by the flames. I cannot imagine a better way to say goodbye to a gypsy.

When got there they were just laying her onto the bed of combustibles, and adjusting her long, white robe. We both walked over when they had finished, and climbed up on the rickety pyre to say goodbye. I guess there are no safety regulations in Cuba, as no one tried to stop us. Raven said a silent prayer over Tia, then went back down to the beach to wait.

I leaned over and kissed Tia on the forehead, and said, "I love you, Tia, so d-d-damm much. I'm sorry that I never c-c-came back, I wish I had remembered my life before now." I took the picture of us together and put it into the pocket on her robe, and held her hands, and said again, "I love you Tia, and we are going t-t-to k-k-kill IT. I promise."

When I rose to go back to the beach, I saw her face was covered in my tears, and I climbed down and went back to stand with Raven. A small group had arrived to mourn, there were only a half a dozen of us on the beach, besides those that were handling the pyre. I had really thought there would be more, seeing she had helped so many over time. Go figure, huh?

They each went up to the pyre, paid their respects, then came back to the beach, with all of us standing in a line. A woman who I assumed was a gypsy priest walked over to the pyre, and began chanting something we didn't understand, then raised her arms, and the raft began sailing out. When the raft reached the spot the gypsy wanted, she raised her arms again, and it sat motionless on the water.

She began chanting again, and suddenly produced a staff, seemingly from nowhere, it's tip bursting into flames as she continued chanting. She raised the staff in front of her, and then let out a scream, and a bolt flashed from the staff, hitting the pyre and setting it ablaze. We all just watched as she fell to her knees in the sand and began praying and singing, as the flames began to lick at the sky, and all of us quickly joined her on our knees.

We remained kneeling until we saw the little raft let out a last puff of smoke, then watched as it sank under the water and was gone. We all rose, and we saw the gypsy wave her hand in circles over her head, and disappear in a dense cloud of smoke. Not much socializing after funerals around here, I thought to myself. All of us just stood there looking at each other, with that awkward post-funeral feeling, not really knowing what to say.

Raven finally spoke up, "I would like to thank you all for honoring our promise and coming back, it's very nice to see old friends again. Why don't we all go in the bar and catch up on the last twenty five years, I think we all could use a drink, anyway." We all looked at each other, stunned that none of us knew we had all been standing together for so long, then one by one climbed the creaky stairs up to La Bodequita.

Except for a drunk guy at a corner table, and an even drunker one on a stool at the bar, the place was empty. We ordered pitchers of grog, and a bottle of wine, with whatever food that they had in the back. Each of us in turn told the stories that our lives had taken since leaving Tortuga, and with just a handful of variations to our stories, they were more or less all the same. Raven went last, and told of her staying here, and began detailing everything she had learned of IT, and the long, bloody trail of death that IT was responsible for over the years.

She finished, and then said, "Do you think that it's coincidence that none of us ever had any children, or how every one of you have become wildly successful in your chosen fields? Or how you all just blindly returned here, without even really understanding why? We called ourselves The Losers Club back then, because lets face it, we sort of were. But all of that has changed dramatically for every one of you since you left here.

We all looked around the table, as Raven declared, "It isn't a coincidence at all, none of this is. There was a reason for everything that has happened in our lives. I can't explain the fancy jobs you all have, but somewhere hidden inside us, we are still exactly those children that went down into the sewer 25 years ago, it's like an internal clock stopped ticking for all of us."

"Something.... needed a part of those Losers to remain inside us, maybe forever, because adults don't seem to have the ability to see this thing. And I think it is quite possible that no one but children have the power to kill this monster, and it is also very likely that we may be the only children that are capable of killing it." All of us sat there letting the words sink in, and they made sense, even though nothing at all here made sense.

The bartender put more pitchers of grog on the table, then walked over to the guy at the corner table, and gave him another large glass of black rum. He downed the huge glass in one gulp, then got up and stumbled his way over to the jukebox, and tried to stuff coins into the slot, dropping most on the floor. The guy sitting at the bar was nearly falling off his stool, and began arguing with the bartender about the virtues of "Ginger or Maryanne?" This was probably a daily ritual, and it wasn't even noon, I thought sadly.

We began talking about that summer, and filling in our blanks for each other, and slowly, all of it was coming back in our minds. Melvin. That's what we had called the clown back then, because, well, it sort of looked like a Melvin. Thinking back, perhaps that's one reason it had chased us that entire summer, I'd probably be upset being named Melvin too.

Then we remembered the deadlights. They had spilled out from IT's eyes like a January wave coming over the bow of your frigid frigate, and they froze you where you stood. We had all seen them, and gotten a close look at them on that hot August day in the sewer, when we had all gone down to look for Georgie.

No trace of Georgie was ever found, but we had found Melvin, and then we saw IT, and we were nearly dragged into those deadlights. I had never seen such a darkness like that before, it was like you were standing inside a Metallica video.

Then we heard the growl from inside the deadlights. Low and throaty, and becoming louder, and the owner of it sounded to be very large. At that moment I felt quite sure that none of us would ever leave the sewers that day, we would all be found floating in that rancid water with our hearts missing, after all, we were The Losers.

"Does anyone remember what it actually looks like? I don't mean the clown, I mean what was INSIDE the clown, I mean IT." asked Rose. Molly said, "I just remember an eye, a huge, black eye", then added, "And I remember Matthew messing up that eye with his slingshot, and that hunk of silver." "Yeah, that was a great shot" said Red, "Although he missed with the first two, as I recall." Matthew picked up a french fry, and bonked it off Red's nose, saying, "Hey, it was really dark down there, and my aim is still good, ketchup nose."

Red reached a hand up to her face, and wiped off the drop of ketchup and said dryly, "Yes, so I see. I'm just glad that it wasn't hot sauce." Everyone at the table roared with laughter, we had needed something to break the tension for a moment. We were still laughing heartily when the jukebox kicked on, and all the laughter stopped when we heard the song that was playing.

All our heads jerked to the corner, to see Melvin leaning against the jukebox, swilling a bottle of redrum, and staring at us. The rum was spilling down its front as it drank, and it looked like blood as it stained its hideous, polka dotted shirt. "Oh fiddle sticks!" it yelled. "I've spilled my last drop of blood, I'm such a clooooown! Hahaha. Hmmm, now wherever shall I find some more fresh and tasty blood?"

It's long, pointy tongue slithered from it's mouth, and began obscenely lapping up the blood from the shirt, then drew up, and sickeningly licked its lips. The bartender was looking right in that area, but acted like he saw nothing. He was still arguing a case for Maryanne, with the Ginger guy looking like he needed duct tape to keep from falling off his stool.

Matthew threw a chicken wing at Melvin, which it caught, then glided its tongue up it, and spat on the floor. "Yuck, I like my meat fresh, Matty boy, and I'll have it, if you are all dumb enough to come down in the sewers" It growled. " I know you all! I am every nightmare that you have ever had, and I am every bump you heard in your closet at night as you hid under your covers. I waited under your bed for you to sleep, and I will eat your hearts! Every one of them! You're ALL too OLD, and you CAN'T KILL ME NOW, you'll AAAAAALLLL FLOAT!!!"

Then Melvin laughed, that horrible, squeaky clown laugh we could all now remember. Just then we heard the drunk yell out, "Ginger!!! Ginger!!! You idiot!!" We looked over to see him throw his glass at the wall, shattering a large bottle of Pomegranate infused Russian sweet potato vodka from Hackensack, New Jersey, that was up on the shelf. I smiled, and thought that was the best thing that had happened all day, and when we turned back, Melvin was gone.

Walking over to the jukebox, I began reading all the songs, and got to the end and said, "T-t-there's no S-s-smokey Rob-b-binson in here, no oldies at all, for that m-m-matter. Then to add nicely to the overall warm and fuzzy feeling, we heard the bartender yell, "Don't bother, that things been broken for months, if you put any money in, then you're a Loser." We all just looked at each other, and at the pool of blood with clown shoe prints in it, and we heard Rose yell back, "Losers, and damm proud of it!"

We paid up our bill for the drinks, and decided to get the heck out of there and back into the sunlight. We waded through the water to the ramp leading to Tia's shack, and down the other side. This time the noises of the swamp seemed normal, and the creatures did not bother us, but they watched our every move.

I looked at the spot they had clawed the message into the wood, and it was no longer there, the planks appeared to have never been touched. We went up to Tia's shack, and walked inside, there was only a table and chair, no pudding pot, and no pictures on the wall. I peeked into the back room, and saw only one bed in the corner, mine was gone.

My footprints in the dust were the only ones in the room, and no sign another bed had been in there in years. I touched the doll in my pocket, and it was still there, I was more confused than ever now. Had I dreamed that night here, or was I just simply mad? Perhaps I was home in Boston, or an asylum, and I was dreaming this too. I closed the door, and heard "I love you too, child" like a whisper from all around me. I opened the door again, and there was still nothing there, and I went back to join the others.

We left the shack and went out to the platform, the creatures still watching us from a distance. As we went up the ramp to leave, I heard plainly from inches behind me, "Kill IT.... Kiiiiill IT." I turned around, and no one was there, just a lone alligator with black eyes, staring up at me from the murky water.

Wading back to the beach, we found ourselves standing in front of the shipwright, and we all nodded silently at one another and bought a war frigate. It had been 25 years since we had all been on a ship together, and it was quite possible that this was going to be our last sail. Perhaps our last anything.

End chapter 4

Last edited:
"Happy Halloween" to IT (or Melvin or, 'whatever' ye call it).
:psycho:
- That clown is seriously beginning to freak me out...

Melvin, of course, sends IT's best. Unfortunately though, I suspect you can wish IT Happy Halloween yerself tomorrow night. I may have inadvertently mentioned where a good amount of Reeses Pieces are located, my bad. Just don't give IT too many, because when the sugar rush is over ..... IT gets sort of irritable. :excited:

Happy Halloween, Mr. Brute

Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 5

Flash DeFerguson woke up in his filthy metal framed bed, and looked up at the moon shining through the heavy, iron grated window to his right. He tugged at the tight leather straps holding his wrists to the bed and swore, just like he had done every night since they had dumped him here, after blaming him for the murders that summer.

He hadn't killed anyone as far as he knew, he and his Warlords had just chased those Losers down into the sewer, but most of it got fuzzy in his mind after that. They had stated in the courtroom that day that he was found sitting next to three of his Warlords, still chewing on one of the hearts that he had sliced out of their chests with his switchblade.

Wide eyed and covered in blood, with his hair turned snow white, the police had dragged him out of the sewers, still babbling something about "Deadlights", over and over to himself. He had been found mentally incompetent, and they had sent him here, to the Scary Mary Mental Health Center, to drug him up and hide him away from decent people, probably forever.

Those Losers were to blame for all of this, and he wished to the moon, like he did every night, that he could get his revenge on all of them someday. He tugged again at the straps, swore softly, and then finally gave up and closed his eyes.

"Flush. Wake up you little Turd" a voice said in his ear. Flash opened his drug hazed eyes, and looked up at the clown standing over him, and said, "Don't call me that, I'm Flash DeFerguson, GM of the Mighty Warlords guild."

"No you aren't, you moron" the clown corrected, "You are Flush DeFerguson of the Mighty Warlurds, because you misspelled them both, and then were too lazy to fix it." Flash thrashed at the straps, and glared up at the clown, "I'll kill you for saying that" he spat out. "No, I don't believe that you will" the clown whispered, "Because I know who you do want to kill."

The clown produced a shiny switchblade from his pocket, and said, "Remember this, Flash?" Flash stared up at his old knife, the one that he had used during that wonderful summer, as his eyes widened, and a madman grin broke out on his horribly ageing face.

The clown cut through the leather straps, and handed Flash the knife, and said, "Kill the guard and take his keys, then find those meddling Losers in Tortuga. They've been laughing at you for 25 years, now go and slice the smiles off their rotten faces." Flash got up out of the bed, and staggered down the hall towards the guards office, remembering just how good the knife felt in his hand.

It had been a perfect night, we sailed until the dawn was breaking over the horizon, and all I remember at some point was, I hadn't drank so much rum, or laughed so long in years. I thought to myself that if I was destined to go join Tia soon, there would be no regrets coming from me. I felt alive again, for the first time since I could remember, and I would rather be dead than go back to just feeling dead.

We ported, with the morning sun burning a hangover into my eyes, and making me wish I had brought sunglasses. We returned the frigate after getting rid of the booze bottles and other evidence, and we all went back to Raven's house to get some sleep.

No one seemed in any hurry to talk about Melvin, the day had just been one big roller-coaster ride, between the sadness of the funeral, to the incident in the bar, and then the joy of all being together sailing. We never did find out who won the big debate though, Ginger or Maryanne. My vote would definitely go to Maryanne, but I really like coconut cream pie. Yum.

We all made our way up the stairs to our rooms, which Raven had been so very generous as to offer us. That must be some of that famed southern hospitality that I had always heard about, but had never seen first hand, living up in Boston. Hospitality in Boston pretty much consists of, "Hittin' yah blinkah when yah bangin' a U-ee on the yellah light ... if yah see the cahp cah watchin' yah."

I went into my room and plopped down on the bed, but suddenly smelled the salt that was all over me from the ocean. I got up to take a very quick shower, so as I didn't stink up the nice clean sheets.

I took off my shoes, and as I began taking my top off, I heard from behind me, "I almost had you twice that summer, you s-s-stuttering Loser." He grabbed my hair, then my throat, and then he began laughing, "I'm going to make you wish I'd killed you that summer, then I'm going to listen to you stutter while I slice you open." I tried to scream, but he began choking me, and laughing again.

Dragging me to the floor, he took out a knife, and began whispering in my ear what he was going to do with it. I saw the bottle of Kraken rum on the edge of the night stand, and I grabbed the leg of the table and knocked it onto the floor. The bottle shattered, and I picked up the jagged top, and rammed it into his neck as deeply as I could.

He let go of my neck, and grabbed his own, and that was when I recognized who he was. I screamed out for help, then said "Y-y-you're the T-t-turd. Jesus, you should b-b-be locked up, you're crazy as a l-l-loon." Flash pulled the glass out, and threw it in the corner, and said, "I was, but someone wanted me to come and clown around with you Losers." Flash raised the knife over his head as he knelt on top of me, and said, "It's time to see the deadlights, b-b-beetch."

The door suddenly burst open as Flash was about to filet me like a mackerel, and Raven put a hole the size of a baseball in his chest. The 357 slug knocked Flash off me, and he was dead before he hit the floor, still clutching his beloved knife. I crawled up to my knees and rubbed my neck, and said,"T-t-thanks, another second and I would have b-b-been a veal c-c-cutlet." "Well" she said, "If you think for one minute that you're dying three stories in a row, you got another thing coming, Dramasita."

"What was the shot that.... holy crap, who is that?" Molly asked as she entered the room. Rose, Red, and Matthew were right behind her, all taking in the bloody scene. "It's Flush" Matthew answered, "I'd know that Turd anywhere, he chased me for an entire summer." Red looked at him and said, "Wasn't he locked up at the funny farm since it happened?"

"Yes" Rose said, "I was in the back of the courtroom when the judge sent him there, I don't know why, but I had to sneak in and watch." "Boy, he sure holds a grudge, I guess. How the heck did he get out?" Molly wondered. "Melvin let him out, then s-s-sent him here to k-k-kill us" I said. "I think he's worried that we aren't t-t-too old to k-k-kill him, and he saw how trying to scare us didn't work. I d-d-don't know about anyone else, but I f-f-for one am not leaving this island until IT's dead."

We looked at Flash, and all the blood, and Red asked, "Should we call the police? This was self defense." "No" Raven said. "It's clearly self defense, but something bad will happen if we report this. We can't trust anyone in these islands now, IT makes them see what IT wants them to." Rose looked at the magnum in Raven's hand, and said, "And that cannon wouldn't be licensed either, I would think." Raven shoved the magnum into her waist band and said, "Bright girl."

Cleaning up the mess, we stuffed Flash into the industrial strength hamper liner Raven had in a drawer, and dragged him down the stairs to the basement. Reaching into the deep freezer, we began unloading the thirty seven wholesale slabs of individually repackaged double cured bacon, mail ordered from the Wiggly Piggly butcher shop in Choccolocco, and dumped Flash in to stay fresh. "Now I guess I know why I took that liner off the Janitors cart at the library last month, I wasn't aware that good karma applied to trash bags."

After the day and night we had, I doubt we would have slept, but between the rum, and the sheer exhaustion, none of us woke until late afternoon. We had linner, or is it dunch, I'm great at combining booze, meals, not so much. Whatever it is, I think around here it's called, something crammed on the plate next to the heaping pile of bacon. And no, I am not complaining at all.

We went down to the docks about midnight, and sto... borrowed a light sloop, and stowed the frozen Flashcicle near the stern. As we were about to launch, Matthew walked down to the other end of the pier, and returned with a bucket. "Someone left their chum" he said, "And it smells pretty ripe."

When we got about a mile out, the bag was lifted, and heaved up on the transom, and sliced open, with Flash's precious knife. We gave it a push, and he slid out of the bag, and into the ocean, then the knife went in after him. Matthew spread the chum around in the water, and tossed the bucket in after, saying, "That ought to draw a crowd, maybe a Megamouth if we are lucky."

Watching as the body sank to the bottom, it was hard to feel any remorse at all for Flash, as he was just as mean and rotten as he had been as a kid, but I wasn't sure that anyone deserved to be a shark's midnight snack. We sailed back to the pier, cleaned up the sloop, and left without being seen.

It was 3am, and we sat around the table in Raven's kitchen drinking and trying to forget what we had just done. I heard the microwave beep behind me, and she plopped a large platter of scallop wrapped bacon in the middle of the table, and sat down. All of us just stared at it, as I looked at the plate and thought to myself, I had always assumed that was supposed to be the other way around.

End Chapter 5

Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 6

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8iPUK0AGRo

May was small for nine years old, but her Mother was always amazed at the amount of chores that she could do, and seemed to enjoy doing. She sometimes even had to slow her down, telling her to please go out and play, the chores can certainly wait until later, but being nine cannot
She had taken her pail, shovel, and her rubber ball, and gone down to the Rat's Nest, to hunt for buried treasure and watch those silly skeletons shuffle around. They just looked so funny the way they marched back and forth, and not a single one of them ever seem to notice her, well, except of course for Harold.

Harold wasn't at all like the other skeletons, he was much smaller than the rest, and she would always find him off to himself in a deserted corner, avoiding them, she thought. Whenever she came, she would always go over and play with Harold for a while, and they seemed to be very much alike. Well, apart from him being a rotting, undead corpse, but that certainly isn't anything to hold against a person.

Holy blessed Jesus on a long eared donkey cart though, Harold played lousy. He could never really catch the ball very well, and he seemed to be afraid of nearly everything that moved in the Rats Nest, except for when May was with him. She would spend hours with Harold, and while having no brain or heart to speak of in his hollow little head and chest, Harold loved playing with his beautiful human friend.

They would often pretend that they went on great quests, and vanquished mighty, ferocious beasts with rusty saber and cracked blunderbuss! The two of them enjoyed this wonderful little world of fantasy that they created in this small corner of the jungle, and they were the king and queen of it all.

Unfortunately, the total lack of brain matter usually caught up with Harold after a couple of hours, and he would tend to wander off to play with the butterflies and vampire bats, although I'm not really sure you could call eating them playing with them. May just laughed, and went off to dig for buried treasure for a while.

Scanning the area, she tried to remember just where that darn dig spot was, she knew it was behind the big mound somewhere, but she always got mixed up. "Oh, poop. Where is it?" May said out loud. "It's behind that rock" said a voice that seemed like it came from all around her. "The one with the pretty red balloon tied to it."

May looked everywhere, but she saw no one but skeletons, and they were too far away to be heard. She looked at the balloon and gave a big smile, "I love balloons" she said. "So do I" said the voice, then added, "You can have it, I have lots of them!" May looked back, and there were now a dozen balloons, tied on the rocks and trees.

"Take one May, and watch how it floats. It's soooooo fun to float! Take one of my pretty balloons and come floaaaat with me" the voice growled. May dropped the pail and shovel when she saw the clown standing by the tree, it was waving at her and blood was dripping from it's hand, and down it's hideously yellow polka dot shirt.

She tried to run, but her feet didn't want to move, it was like they were stuck in clay. Then the clown smiled at her, and she saw those monstrous teeth, and she felt a wave of cold wash through her, as she saw the deadlights flicker on in the clowns eyes. The entire Rats Nest began to disappear in front of her, it seemed as if it was being eaten away by the blackness that was beginning to surround her.

Melvin started laughing loudly again, as May cried out for help, and the clowns smile grew even wider. Then suddenly, Melvin felt something land on its back with a heavy thud, as an extremely angry Harold began clawing at the clowns face and neck with those long, bony fingers. The deadlights went out, as Harold gashed and mauled at the clowns head in a blind rage.

The clowns evil smile quickly changed to a menacing frown, and the last thing that Harold saw was May's frightened eyes looking back at him, before Melvin reached back and flung him like a rag doll against the tree, shattering his leg bones. Melvin then turned back to May, and that unholy blackness again spilled forth from IT's eyes, and she heard that shrill clown laugh, just as the deadlights began devouring her.

Up on the hill, General Sandspine thought he had heard a scream, and walked over to the edge of the hill to see where it had come from. He looked in every direction, but saw nothing but a dark red balloon floating up to the sky, and he just shrugged, then he went back to endlessly polishing those infernal nades.

"There was another one last night" Molly said, reading the paper. "Nine years old, playing in the Rat's Nest, not far at all from our fort." They all put their forks down, and pushed their plates away. "We have to go down there, now, before there's another" said Matthew. "No, we have to wait" Raven answered. "God help us all, but we have to wait."

"That makes five so far now" Raven continued, "And I have this nagging voice telling me that we won't be able to kill IT until it needs it's last, it's just this very strong feeling I'm getting." "So we are just going to let that clown kill another kid?" asked Red. "We have no choice, and I don't like this one bit either." Raven stated, "But if we don't do this exactly right, that thing goes back to sleep, and we all return and do this again when we are like sixty."

Everyone in the room remained very quiet, and we all seemed to be staring at a different part of the dancing Saturday Night Bacon Fever pattern tablecloth. The silence seemed to echo throughout the small kitchen, and I finally chimed in, "Well, t-t-there's the happy little t-t-thought for the day."

The police, in their usually efficient manner here in Tortuga, had found nothing at all in the Rat's Nest, but we didn't expect that they would. They had even went so far as to question Sandspine, but he hadn't been of any help to them at all. The big ugly had just kept grunting at them, over and over, "Me want Disney appointed lawyer. Arrrr." Then, apparently remembering that King Iger doesn't normally pay for individual characters lawyers, he had glitched himself, and then reached into his bag and began throwing nades at them from inside the wall, until they had just given up and left.

Harold watched as the policemen were grilling Sandspine from behind the tree in the corner next to the big mound, then he looked away and cursed at himself for not being strong enough. The only one Harold hated more than that clown right now was himself. He reached over and picked up May's rubber ball that was laying next to his shattered leg, looked at it, and lowered his skull to his chest bone and began crying softly.

The bucket and pail were all that was found, and there was no other trace of May in the Rats Nest. The family desperately began running ads in The Guardian with her picture and description, and offered a very large reward, but it would never be collected on. It had simply seemed like the earth ... or something... had just opened up, and swallowed her whole.

Rose and Matthew went downtown to the drugstore so she could refill her asthma bottle, she noticed that she had been using it a heck of a lot more since coming back here. "I don't like this place very much, I never really did, but more so now" she said as they were going in, hearing the little tinkling bell over the door.

She pointed to the area behind the counter where the clown had been standing before, and said, "The bleating sheep just kept wandering up and filling their prescriptions, even after they were all covered in blood. None of them saw a thing." "Yeah" Matthew replied, "there must have been eight people fishing off the dock around me, a couple even got fish guts on them from the balloon. Not a single one even moved, until I dropped my rod and ran away."

They walked up to the counter, and Rose gave her prescription to the young druggist, who took it and just stared at it for a moment, then asked her if this was some sort of joke. Rose gave him a puzzled look and asked just what he had meant by that. "Lady, this prescription is a bit old" the druggist declared, "25 years to be exact. I probably shouldn't fill it, but seeing as it's only flavored water, I don't think anyone would care."

Rose was now very confused, she had just gotten that one from Doc Brown in New York last week. She had filled one before leaving, and it still had two refills left. Maybe it was about time to find a new doctor, Rose thought. The guy was always distracted, and appeared to have his mind in some other place, or perhaps time. It also didn't help with that weird kid always running in and out every few minutes, either. Morty, or Matty, something like that. She did feel sorry for the kid though, he must be really shy or something, she had overheard them one day talking about him having to take his Mother to the prom. Poor kid, sounded like he was going to have a very strange future.

"Take it, Rose" Matthew said, "Remember using it in the sewers on IT? You're going to need it, so take it." She did remember now, she had sprayed it in IT's eye and had thought of the most vile substance that she could possibly imagine, and had screamed at IT: "This is New York clam chowder!!!" No one should EVER put a tomato in clam chowder, it was an abomination against humanity!

IT had writhed in pain, then Matthew had sent the lump of silver into it's eye from his slingshot. There had been a glaring flash of light that had blinded them all, and the deadlights had gone out. It had fallen into the deep pool of sewer water, and they thought they had killed it, but it had only crawled deeper into the sewer, to sleep, and to wait. The druggist returned, and Rose paid the man, said thank you, and they walked out of the drugstore, hearing that incredibly annoying little bell tinkle again.

Molly and Red had taken the ferry over to Port Royal for the day, to visit all their old haunts, have lunch at the Rowdy Rooster, and see if that black corset had ever managed to show up at the dang tailor. They strolled though the stores, then stood and watched the blacksmith at his shop, with those massive arms, pounding his hammer onto the glowing hot slab of metal, over and over and over. They looked at each other and nodded, the arms were much more interesting to watch than the half asleep guy behind the counter in the nade store.

They wandered up the hill to Fort Charles, and passed the door to the cannon defense area, which was boarded up, and had no guard outside. "I guess you don't need guards when there's nothing left to defend" Molly said sadly. Walking into the main courtyard, they saw no one on duty, and it looked like years since there had been. "I would have said before a few days ago that abandoned forts are creepy, this one just seems depressing to me though" Red sighed.

The two walked over to the stock, and Molly got in it for a joke picture, then Red did the same. There is nothing like a good torture picture to whip out at those family BBQs, it gives Aunt Edna and Cousin Nancy something to gossip about between sucking on sour pickles.

Red took a few more pictures around the fort, then they went back down to the Rooster to get some lunch. The bar hadn't changed one bit, in fact, Red stared behind the counter and said, "Jesus, is that the same salami that was hanging there 25 years ago?" Molly pointed at the end and replied, I think so, it still has Dream's gnaw marks on it." "Dang" laughed Red, "Now there's a girl that likes her meat sticks." They both roared, as they went over and sat down at the table in the far corner, and motioned to the barmaid.

They ordered the swordfish with a calamari appetizer, and a huge bottle of wine, it would be a fun ferry ride back, they thought. They must have drank wine and talked for a couple hours, when Molly looked at her watch and said, "We better get going, the last ferry will be leaving soon."

Red motioned to the barmaid for the check, and she came over and began clearing the plates away, saying, "The check was taken care of, thanks girls, and come again." "Taken care of?" Molly asked, "By whom?" She motioned to the other corner, to the young kid sitting alone at a table. "Him. He's just been sitting there drinking root beer for an hour or so." They looked over at the table, and it was Lawrence sitting at it, looking not a day older than he had that summer. Red nearly passed out seeing him, but managed to get up and start to walk over to him.

He raised his hand to tell her to stop, and she just froze there, staring at him. He looked at both of them, and then back at Red, and with very sad looking eyes said, "It really was one hell of a summer, wasn't it? Well, right up to the time the clown ripped my heart out of my chest. It sort of went downhill pretty fast after that. It was nice seeing ya again, Red." The skin on his face and hands seemed to bubble, and then started melting off, leaving a decayed skeleton staring back at them. Lawrence stabbed the knife he was holding deep into the table and disappeared before their eyes.

They walked over to the table, and carved into the wood was: "Kill IT and release us. Please. Floating really sucks." The two of them looked at each other, then both headed for the door, with Red saying, "If this doesn't end soon, I'm going to lose what little mind that I have left." "Amen to that" added Molly.

END CHAPTER 6

Last edited:
Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 7

Sitting in Raven's living room with our butts firmly planted on the couch was difficult, all any of us wanted was for this nightmare to end. There really was nothing left to do now but wait until Melvin struck again though, and then somehow attempt to live with ourselves when this was finally over. I could see the anger and utter frustration on the faces of everyone as I looked about the room, and I thought that a distraction was sorely needed right now, perhaps a night of drunken Meatloaf karaoke.

Apparently reading my mind... and obviously not liking what she read... Raven got up from the couch, and returned from the kitchen with a huge bowl of popcorn, an armful of Blue Moons, and put Three Days Of The Condor into the DVD player. I have always enjoyed that one, and an ironic choice I thought. It seemed right now we were in the same boat as Condor, people were dying all around us, and fully trusting in anyone now had become much like dumping hot sauce on a habanero, a colossally bad idea.

The movie began, and as Redford was getting off his bicycle at his job as a book reader at the Literary Historical Society in Manhattan, a covert department of the CIA, I reached across the coffee table for the pink snout shaped shaker of low sodium organic bacon salt, and sprinkled the tiny kernels with its tangy, porcine love.

We all watched the movie without very much talking, just the occasional person getting up to pilfer another of Raven's Moons. It didn't seem to matter at all who it was doing the shagging, another full one always seemed to keep landing in my hand. Unashamedly, I appeared to be a two fisted drinker most of the evening, and I will naturally blame my parents for that. I was taught growing up to always be a good guest and graciously accept everything put in front of me. Um, thanks, Mom. You simply cannot beat an ice cold Sam Adams, but I certainly wouldn't throw Mr. Blue out of my cooler for snoring.

The movie ended, and we all cleaned up our debris in the living room, and wobbled our way out to the kitchen. It was getting late, so I suggested, "Let's all grab one m-m-more of the Raven Moons, and call it a n-n-night." From aside me, Rose chimed in, "I think Dream's getting ship faced, her stutter is getting much better." Then she mussed my hair and gave me a noogie, like she used to as kids, when my stutter got really bad.

I cannot believe that I had forgotten that, and I suddenly remembered just how much I loved all these people. I brushed back my hair, and looked at Rose and said, "Thanks, p-p-pizza face, go ahead and make me c-c-cry." I then stuck my finger in my mouth and gave her a Wet Willy, which sent her into absolute hysterics. You never quite grow out of the Wet Willy, in my opinion. I threw an arm on Rose's shoulder, and wiped off my finger on her shirt, then asked, "Now who wants a b-b-beer?"

I opened the fridge, and staring back at me from the top shelf was Ned Stormfury. To be more accurate, it was just his bloody, severed head. I saw the eyes moving about the room, falling on each one of us, and then he winked at me. I jumped back ten feet and said, "You aren't here, N-n-ned, you are that d-d-damm clown. Go away." We all stared at the Nedhead, which was dripping blood down into the leftover hickory smoked bacon pot pie with a flaky Gorgonzola layered crust, and then it spoke to me.

"Jesus D-d-d-dream, that sleeve should be in a Haz-Mat bucket, has it been washed in 25 years?" Ned looked around at us, and added, "Hey, what's the matter, aren't we drinking? You'll have to excuse me from making a reunion toast though, since the bubble bath, my toaster seems to be on the fritz. Aww, c'mon guys, that was funny. Hey, hey, hey, Matty boy, how's that bum knee hangin'? Ya want a matching set? You'll float better that way, ... YOU'LL AAAAAAAALL FLOAT!!!"

The Nedhead began laughing, and Matthew jumped forward and slammed the fridge door shut, saying, "You aren't funny enough to be Ned, Melvin. You aren't even funny enough to be David Spade." "God, I hate that clown" Molly yelled. "I'd like to do this right now, this waiting stinks." Raven jerked open the fridge door, and the Nedhead was gone, and there was no trace of any blood ever having been inside. "Well, I don't care" said Red, "I am NOT eating any more of that freakin' pot pie."

There was nothing on the news about any killings the next day, the only thing of any interest was the report on the ongoing sewer project that was grossly over budget and months behind schedule. They must have hired an overpaid and underqualified Massachusetts DPW manager, we certainly have plenty to spare, I thought to myself.

Strange noises, vandalized and disappearing equipment, and freak accidents from the site were slowing down construction they said. "But, we have the situation completely under control" said a spokesperson for Tortuga Water and Sewer. Yeah, OK. Sorry if I disagree there guys, but the only thing that's in control down there wears size 22 red clown shoes, and doesn't answer to the name Bozo. I would punch out and take an early union break if I were you, and don't come back.

We all agreed to meet at the new Irish/Mexican place downtown, "Senor 'N' Begorrah", for dinner and some Guinness and Tequila shots. For some strange reason, this had all the signs of a very short night to me. Oh, please God, let there be drunken Irish/Mexican karaoke, I haven't made a dern fool of myself in a long time. Um, at least I think haven't, anyway.

Red, Matthew, and Molly were staring in the thrift shop window a few doors down when I walked up. "Are you buying, or selling?" I laughed. "I think I might be buying" Matthew began, "That looks like my old Behemoth Blade in there." Raven and Rose walked up just as he said that, and Rose asked, "How can you tell, there were hundreds, and they were all alike." Matthew pointed to the sword, and said, "There was a slight imperfection on the pommel, it looked like a tiny "S", and I told people it stood for Spania. That, and I painted my handle green."

The sword did have an S, and a green handle, and we all went into the shop for a closer look. "See on the base of the blade, it say's M.D. I remember using my Dads engraving kit to etch those letters, he got really mad that I broke it." He picked up the sword and saw they were only asking twenty bucks, and almost broke his hand getting his wallet out.

We all laughed, and wandered around the shop, to see what other interesting treasures that might be lurking in here. About a minute later we heard Molly and Red, in different parts of the store exclaim, "Oh, my God." They both came running over holding weapons, Molly a sword, Red a dagger, and they had both once owned them. "This is getting weirder than weird" Raven said, "I wonder what Rose is up t......."

There was a loud scream from the back of the store, as a red faced and excited Rose emerged holding ...... a black corset. "Well, it only took 25 years, but I finally found one", she said happily. "Grats, Rose, but we thought you found a weapon" Raven joked. "Oh yeah, I did find my old Tri-barrel, but holy jumpin' Moses, look at the corset!!!" Rose screamed.

"Aren't you two going to look around, maybe yours are here too" Molly wondered. "I still have my knife, I never left Tortuga, remember? That, and a .357 with "Fortune Cookie" engraved on the barrel" Raven said, with a wry smile. I pulled my old doll out of my pocket, and held it up, and said, "I found it in Tia's shack when I first landed on Cuba, but I don't s-s-seem t-t-to remember how to use it."

Everyone paid for their items, and we stored them in the back of Raven's Hummer, which was parked down the street. I was tempted to make a joke about chicks who drive enormous yellow Hummers, with Huckabee bumper stickers, shag carpeting in the back, and tire covers screaming "Rebel Yell", but I thought I would remain silent for once in my fool life. We walked through the front door of Senor's, and I heard "My Wild Irish Rose" with a flamenco guitar and maracas coming from the bar area, and I wandered over to ingestigate.... um, I mean investigate.

The bartender was a burly man, very dark complected with bright carrot top hair and freckles, a bushy red gaucho mustache, and wearing a huge pink sombrero with tiny dangling blue balls flopping all around the brim. He handed me a massive 24 ounce Guinness mug and the biggest shot of tequila I had ever seen in my life, it looked to be more like a cannon ball than a shot. He had a booming laugh that echoed through the bar, and he bowed slightly, shook his tiny balls, and exclaimed, "Hola, me thirsty gringo lassie!" Thanking him for the drinks, I looked at his name tag, smiled, and said, "Agradable bolas, Sully."

I wandered over to an empty table up near the stage, drained my tequila, and began eying the empty mic over the now almost empty mug. The waiter putting another Guinness and tequila cannon in front of me was just about the last thing I remembered from the night, until I saw Red's pictures the next day, and realized that it is possible to be double jointed and not know it.

"Ohhh, my head" I moaned, with my face planted in a wet rag on the kitchen table. Every single pop coming from the crepeless bacon Suzettes that were frying sounded like a cannon going off in my head. "Well" said Red, "That'll teach ya to try to do Van Halen Karaoke after mixing booze from two continents." I still had my face planted in the rag, and I began mumbling into it, "Panamaaaa... P-p-p-p-panama-ha... P-p-panama...." Ouch.

My head had stopped pounding after a few hours and about a pot of coffee, which is without a doubt the greatest gift in the history of mankind, along with the double stuffed Oreo. The sixth killing had happened early this morning, and we were watching the noon news when the story broke.

Everyone in the room wore the same expression of guilt and relief, and I assume we were all saying a silent prayer for the poor little boy. I looked over at Raven, and knew immediately that she was thinking of Georgie, how on earth could she not be.

Jimmy Billings had been ten years old, and knew he wasn't supposed to go the two miles into town by himself, there were too many weirdos out there, his Dad would say. He had made it into town easy, and headed straight to the candy store, like any ten year old would who had eight bucks in his pocket.

He went into the Tortuga Walgreens, which sadly serves as today's candy store for many kids, and bought a Wonka bar, Skittles, bubblegum, and a Yoohoo. He left the store stuffing gum into his mouth, and soon had some good bubbles going. He ate another piece, and chewed it into the wad, and the bubbles became huge, and he stood looking at it in the reflection on the Chuck E. Cheese window.

"That's one really good bubble." He heard someone say from behind him, but only saw himself and his bubble in the reflection. "It looks like a balloon, I love balloons, don't you?" He turned around quickly, and a clown was standing there holding balloons in one hand, and Jimmy's decapitated head by the hair in the other, and the head was laughing, and it cried out, "Come and play with us Jimmyyyyyy, it's fun down here, we aaaaall get balloons, and we aaaaaall float!"

Then the clown smiled, and it looked like one of those machines that chew up old cars and metal, and then it's deadlights flickered on, bathing Jimmy in it's darkness. Jimmy dropped his candy and ran, trying to make it back to the Walgreens across the street, not looking behind to see where the clown was.

He was almost to the sidewalk, when the manhole cover flew off to the side, and a yellow polka dot colored Kraken tentacle burst out and grabbed him by the waist. He screamed at the people walking by to help, but not a single one of the dozen or so even looked at him, they seemed not to notice. The tentacle sucked him into the sewer, then another rose up, latched onto the manhole cover, and placed it back over the hole, as incurious people continued to walk by.

The two Tortuga Police officers sat in their cruiser a couple of stores down from Walgreens, and facing directly at the manhole. The rookie looked up from his Taco Bell breakfast waffle taco with extra ketchup, turned and asked his partner, "Did you just hear something, Sarge?" The Sergeant, who had been looking in that direction the entire time, turned his head slowly to the rook, chewed and swallowed a mouthful of his third McGriddle, and quietly said, "No."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4jondX6tg

Raven got up and shut off the TV, and said, "It's showtime. Everyone make yourselves prepared. We leave at dusk." She left the room and went up the stairs, and I heard her door close loudly. Rose went out to the kitchen, while hitting off her inhaler, sat at the table and began cleaning the Tri-barrel, as the others began sharpening their swords and knives.

I went into the back yard and took out the doll, and began feverishly trying to remember how to make it work. I held it up, and concentrated on the stump, but still nothing happened. What if I couldn't remember ANY of the spells that a very patient Tia had somehow managed to bang into my thick head, I thought? I had a sickening feeling that I would be of no help at all this time, perhaps even worse, a liability for all of them.

Sitting down under the bird feeder I wondered if Ned hadn't had the right idea after all, right for him, anyway. I would like to think he did it more out of shame of not honoring our promise, than of any fear he could still remember having of It. I know there is no way I could look at myself in the mirror if I had not returned.

I closed my eyes and tried to feel .... something, anything, except an overwhelming feeling of dread for my friends, and countless other deaths that would surely come if we went and I was the reason that we failed. I pulled my legs up and buried my face in my knees, and began to cry softly, whispering, "Jesus Ned, we really needed your crazy butt here. I could use a laugh badly right now."

I felt a warm hand fall on my shoulder, and I heard, "Go with your friends, and you will remember, child. The hour grows close, and you all must strike quickly, because IT knows you are coming. IT awaits you now, behind the wooden door. If any one of you remain outside, then all of you shall forever remain inside. You must not break the circle, go and remember the things I have taught you." I felt Tia's hand let go of me, and I sat there listening to the birds above me singing their happy songs, and I hoped that Tia was right, for all of our sakes.

End Chapter 7

Last edited:
Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 8

I must have fallen asleep listening to the birds singing, because I awoke to the sound of swords clanking together. Molly and Matthew were sparring in the other side of the yard, and I heard a thunk thunk thunk sound coming from behind me, where Red was doing target practice with the throwing knives.

Perhaps it was me, but the nearly shredded Charlie Sheen "Fathead" decal that was nailed to the coconut tree did not appear to be "Winning". I also noticed that Red still needed to work a bit more on her throwing motion. I know that it has been quite a while, but most of the knives seemed to be, um, "Hooking a bit low", if you catch my meaning. I took a picture of it with my phone, pressed Save As Wallpaper, and walked into the house laughing.

When I came into the kitchen, I saw Rose was still there cleaning and adjusting the Tri-barrel. I opened the door to the fridge slowly, peeked inside, and quickly took out an orange juice and shut it again. I looked at the bottle of rum on the counter as I was pouring the juice in a glass, shivered, and shook my head and went over and sat down.

"Smart choice" Rose said, "I don't think we can kill IT with drunken karaoke, although, your singing was killing me last night." I drank some juice and said, "I saw Tia j-j-just now, and she t-t-told me that I'll r-r-remember my gypsy spells soon, but I'm just not sure. I d-d-don't want to get you all k-k-k-killed down there."

Rose put the gun down and picked up her inhaler, and said, "Y'know, I have hardly ever used this rotten inhaler since the day that I left this God forsaken island, but it was always with me. Then the moment I stepped off that boat and returned here, my self inflicted asthma came back with a vengeance. I assume it was about the same for you with that stutter, it sounds to be getting pretty bad again."

"They came back because we are all reverting into what we thought we had left behind us here on this mangy butt pimple of sand as kids, being a Loser. I think I finally figured it all out though, we can't leave it behind, because the Losers are a club for life."

"Whatever higher force it was that brought us all together that summer did so to keep us alive from that...thing...and from those Turds, but it also did so much more than that. I think that it bound our souls together, perhaps forever, and it created something magic around us back then. How can you even try to explain how we all survived during that entire summer? I certainly can't."

"All of us should probably have died ten times over that August, but something always seemed to change our luck for just long enough to get away from them. I don't believe for one minute it is coincidence that we all met that summer, and then 25 years later we are all here in this house, simply on the weight of a long forgotten promise. If that was the case, I think we would have all just hung up the phone when Raven called and gone about our lives."

"No, something else pulled us all back here, I can't explain it, but it did. And I can feel the magic starting to return around us, it's like walking on a beach in the early morning, and a dense fog just suddenly rolls in and swallows you. Melvin knows the magic is returning too, you can bet on it, otherwise he wouldn't have bothered sending Flash."

"As I recall, your magic had always been that damm stutter, or more the case of you learning to control it. What was that crazy thing the therapist had you saying, to help ease it? That tongue twister?" Rose asked. "The parrot thing? Jeez, I had completely forgotten about that", I replied, and stunned that I had.

I thought for a minute, and then like a lightning bolt, it all flashed back into my head. I began reciting, "P-p-pretty P-polly pecked the p-p-pegs of pickled p-pirates, the p-p-pickled pirates peg was p-p-pretty p-p-pocked by Polly." "That's it, now say it again, faster", Rose ordered. I said it again, with a few less stutters, and Rose barked loudly, "Again. Faster." I got halfway through it, and the dolls eyes on the table between us began glowing.

"Again, yell it at me!" She shouted. "P-P-PRETTY POLLY P-PECKED THE PEGS OF PICKLED PIRATES!!!" I screamed, and we saw the dolls eyes grow brighter and brighter, looking like tiny suns. I picked it up, and felt the heat flowing out of it, then looked around the room, and focused on Raven's unopened box of chocolate Twinkies over on the counter.

"Pretty Polly pecked the pegs of p-pickled pirates..." I said calmly, as the box began to shake. I closed my eyes, and I still "saw" the box in front of me, which began rising off the counter and looked like it was twisting in the air, like Chubby Checker.

"Pretty... Polly...", I whispered to the box. Suddenly, the box began shaking violently, then shot up to the ceiling and exploded, sending Twinkie shrapnel in every direction, with the mangled box falling to the floor with a wet thud.

I opened my eyes to see Rose smiling, and Raven definitely not smiling in the open doorway, with the three of us covered in Twinkie innards. "Um, yeah. Grats on the doll working again, Dream" Raven said, while wiping a white, sugary glob off her nose, "But do you have any idea how much I paid for those off Ebay?"

It was getting dark as we all piled into Raven's Hummer, there really should be strict laws against mustard yellow vehicles, I thought. I looked at the enormous stick shift on the console and raised an eyebrow, were we driving, or taking off in an airplane? I don't even think I could get my hand around that thing, let alone shift it.

We were about to pull out, when Raven said to Matthew, "Here, I think you may need these." She handed him two lumps of jagged silver, and said, "I could only find two, I think the other is still stuck in IT's eye." All of our jaws dropped, and Matthew asked, "You went back down there? Alone?"

Giving the flopping dashboard bacon scented Buddha bobbler air freshener a belly rub for luck, Raven replied, "Yeah, about three years ago. Things weren't going too well for me then, too much research on that thing, I guess. I really didn't give a rats patootie if it found me or not. I didn't see anything down there but those." Then she reached in the glove box, and tossed Matthew the slingshot, and said, "I saw that in that same thrift store a few years ago, it appears that they only carry our merchandise in there."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-af9Q-zvQ

We parked on the side of the road, and began to hoof it down the embankment and through the woods the half mile to the entrance to the sewer. As we crossed into "The Wilds", as it was known because of the dense underbrush, Raven took an extremely graceful swan dive into a large jerkly bush. "Oh, crap" she yelled, "As I recall, I did that 25 years ago too. Tripped over the same darn root I think, too. Maybe that's a good sign."

Molly and Red gave her a hand and helped her up, and Molly pointed to the root and said, "That must be the root of all evil." There was stunned silence, and then everyone groaned, and Red added, "Geez, I would have expected a joke like that from Dream, but I'm shocked, Molly." We all had a good laugh, and then headed on to the sewer opening, to finish what we had started 25 long years ago.

We got to the large pipe that was spewing a small stream of brown water into the pond of filth below it, and one by one, we climbed up into it. The flashlights cut through some of the darkness, you still couldn't make out too far ahead of you, but you could certainly smell in front of you, though.

The rotting pipe led to a central area, with many tunnels leading off, and shallow water trenches that snaked through the complex. And light. Thankfully, there was light here. The workmen must have set them up, although we didn't really care who had, we were just glad that Melvin hadn't eaten it. We stopped to try to remember which way we had gone when we had found IT, but it had been 25 years, and everything looked the same down here.

"South-east, I think" said Matthew, "Where did you find the silver, Raven?" "South-east" she replied, "In the lower section of the facility. It's dry down there, but it's old, very old and decayed." We began to head south-east, when we saw a shadow coming from the turn up ahead. All of us froze, not knowing who, or what, might be the owner of that shadow.

There was a splash, and then the sound of something swimming through the water towards us, and from around the corner came the largest sewer rat I had ever seen. Rose drew the Tri-barrel, and pointed it down the tunnel, saying, "Smile pretty Mr Rat, and say cheese......" There was a loud bang that echoed through the tunnel, and then the rats head exploded on the walls around it. "Nice s-s-shot there, Rose" I said, "Good to see something that D-d-disney made still actually works."

Just as we were walking towards the half a rat, from behind us we heard a child's small voice say, "You left me down here Raven, you all left me down here. That was mean. You left me to float with the others. I hate you, I hate you all." It was Georgie, standing in the water and holding a blood red balloon. I looked at Raven, who seemed to be off in a trance gazing at her little brother at the other end of the tunnel. Standing next to her, Molly grabbed Ravens arm, shook it, and yelled, "No! It's that damm clown, fight it! It's Melvin!"

I saw a lone, salty tear escape from Ravens eye looking at Georgie, and I watched as it rolled down her cheek, and fell into the dirty water we were standing in. A moment later, her face grew dark, and I saw daggers flying out of her eyes. "You aren't Georgie, you filthy piece of bilge scum, Georgie is dead, and you killed him. We know who you are, and we know what you are." Raven said angrily. "And all of this ends here. Today. Even if we have to drag this entire sewer down on top of you, you filthy son of a.....!"

We stepped forward towards "Georgie", and he vanished in front of us, with only the balloon left, bouncing softly off the top of the pipe. Red took a throwing knife out, and popped the balloon, which fell into the water and sank. "I am really beginning to hate balloons" said Red, "Sewers are getting pretty dang high on the list too."

We all turned back in the direction of the headless rat, and walked past it through the dirty water, traveling south-east, and downward. The only noise that could be heard in the foul smelling darkness of the tunnel was the sound of six very scared "children", sloshing through the knee deep water, all very much aware that none of them may ever live to see the sunlight again.

END CHAPTER 8

Last edited:
Stephanie King's

IT

Chapter 9
We began making our way down the long, spiraling tunnels, into the sewers ancient lower section, with the darkness returning, more so the further down we went. After about twenty minutes in the downward passage, the knee deep water had receded to ankle deep water, and by the time we saw the dead end with a barred metal door, the water was gone. The big red "Danger! Unsafe Area!" sign on the door was ironic at best, and staring at it, I began laughing uncontrollably.

I imagined the face of the worker who had hung it there, thinking to myself, if the poor schlub had only known. After a minute, Rose said, "I think Dream has finally gone round the bend, mates, her elevator isn't reaching the top floor. She's a few egg salads short of a picnic. Her sloopy be a bit loopy. Someone get her the white pirate vest that laces up in the back." Now everyone was laughing, and we simply enjoyed it for a few moments, before getting back to the unreality at hand.

"Can you work the doll on that door, Dream?" Molly asked. I looked at the dolls flat, lifeless eyes, and said, "I'll t-t-try. I've only t-taken on a Twinkie so far, t-t-though." I closed my eyes and tried to see the door, but I was only seeing the backside of my lids. "P-p-pretty P-p-polly pecked the p-p-pegs of pickled p-pirates" I began saying, then again, louder, but nothing was happening. I was scared to death, and I was stuttering way too much to concentrate.

"Hit m-m-me" I said. "Someone hit m-m-me, p-please!" They all stared, not sure that they had heard me correctly. "I n-n-need to f-f-focus on something b-besides the st-t-tutter. HIT ME! PLEASE!" Rose strode over and clocked me an open hand to the face, making me wince, then she smacked the other side, knowing I am fairly OCD about keeping things even. "Again. Harder." I yelled. Another slap and a backhand. Dang, Rose had a swing, I thought to myself. "Now say the parrot thing" Rose gasped, out of breath from beating the crap out of me.

"P-pretty Polly p-pecked the pegs" and Bam, I felt another slap, and the dolls eyes started to glow, as Rose stepped back with the others. I saw the bar in my mind now, and I tried to imagine it bending and twisting, like a Bonomo strawberry Turkish Taffy as I bit down into it. The dolls eyes glowed brighter, and the metal bar shook violently against the door, then began bending on it's braces, which were straining, and then started pulling away from the wall

"The pickled pirates peg was ......PRETTY POCKED BY POLLY!!!!!!" I screamed loudly at the unhearing door. There was a harsh twanging sound, sort of like Toby Keith hitting a high drawl note, and I suddenly had a hankerin' for a full Red Solo cup. The two braces fell to the ground, with the twisted and misshapen bar landing on top of them with a dull thud. I opened my eyes, and looked at the pile of metal, and said out loud, "Note to self: be nicer to Rose in the future, she's got a hell of a right hook."

The door itself wasn't much trouble, we had it opened in minutes, and began cautiously going through, drawing closer to Melvin. As Rose went through, Matthew whispered from behind her, "Y'know, just thinking out loud, but it sure looked like you were enjoying that slapfest back there." Rose turned around in the doorway, smiled at Matthew, and said, "Shhhhh."

Walking into the open area on the other side of the door, there was no signs it had seen a human in decades, and the last one leaving appeared to have wasted no time in getting the heck out. I saw very expensive looking equipment and supplies scattered about the area, which raised many questions in my mind, but all of those questions were quickly answered when we got further in and saw the bones. There were hundreds of them. Some were stacked neatly, like firewood drying in the yard, and some were haphazardly piled, as if for a grotesque version of Pick-up-sticks.

There were a number that appeared to be very old, more that seemed fairly recent, and others that still had flesh attached to them. It was almost fascinating seeing the varying stages of rot and decay around us, but all fascination left though when you realized most of the bones were of very small children. As I looked around me, I suddenly didn't care anymore if I ever left this sewer alive or not, as long as we turned off that damm clowns deadlights, this time for good.

The further into the area we went, I quickly realized that I had been dead wrong about the number, it looked to be more like thousands, not hundreds. It was becoming clear that this .... thing .... had been residing in Tortuga for a very, very long time. Incredibly, there seemed to be nothing living down here, not a bug, or even a worm, very strange, what with all the decomposition going on down here. "Jesus, this place is creepy" Red said, while stepping over small pile of semi fresh ones. "And this thing appears to have a bigger appetite than Mama Cass."

We kept going forward until we came to the gigantic mountain of bones, and there seemed to be a clicking sound coming from the pile. "What the heck is that noise" Raven said, "It sounds like the bones are moving." The mound suddenly collapsed, and the bones began forming themselves into skeletons as we watched, barring our path, in or out. "I think I saw this in Jason and the Argonauts" I said, "I guess this version is the 3D one without the glasses."

Matthew drew the Behemoth, and went after two in the rear, with Molly right behind him. Red and Raven took out knives, and released a Dagger Rain at the ones in front, as Rose began taking pot shots at random ones. The dolls eyes started glowing, and I closed mine, and sent Pestilence and Wither storms swirling around them. Matthew and Molly were back to back, and loping off heads of the advancing bone men, which fell to the ground and shattered as they dropped.

I pictured one of the bone piles in my mind, saying "Pretty Polly" to it, and it began to move, and an arm bone shot up out of it, then another. The pile toppled, as a dozen freakishly large skeletons crawled out, and began battling the original bone heads. We all stepped back and watched as the stronger, "good" skeletons, literally tore the bony girlymen limb from limb. When the de-boning was over, they collected the bones, and repiled them, then climbed back onto the mound and fell apart, rejoining the others. I had always been taught to leave things just the way you found them, except for at the tavern, of course.

It seemed we passed endless piles of bones, none of them moved this time, but they just made us angrier with each one we saw. As we turned the final corner, we realized this was as far as the area went, and then we saw it at the back wall of the dead end. The small, wooden, oval shaped door looked like something out of Alice In Wonderland, but I doubted very much we would be invited to a tea party in there. Molly tried the knob, and the door swung open, much to all of our surprise.

We entered the room, which looked like a cave on the inside, it felt cold and clammy, and I could see my breath when we stepped in. Matthew and Molly led the way, clearing away, what looked to be, very old spider webs with their swords. I heard Rose behind me hitting on her inhaler, and growling, "That darn druggist, I'm down to the fake stuff now. Anyone bring any rum?" We all shook our heads, and I said, "The d-d-drinks are on me when we get out of here, t-t-triples." Raven looked over, and said, "Do you mean buying, or just wiping them on that sleeve?"

I reached over and brushed her arm with the sleeve, and she jumped ten feet backwards, and did an acrobatic leap behind Molly. "Wow" I said, "Are you s-s-sure you're a Librarian? You look m-more like a Flying W-w-wallenda." Just as we all started laughing, a web shot down from from a hole in the wall near the ceiling, and splatted Red on the shoulder. Smoke began rising off it, and it started burning through her shirt, and searing the skin underneath, as the web began pulling her closer to the hole. "Get it off me!!!" Red screamed, trying to pull herself back.

Matthew brought the Behemoth down on the web, and Red fell backwards, tearing off her coat to get away from the acidic web. We all stared up at the hole, as a spider the size of Cujo crawled out of it, and lumbered down the wall. IT sat in a corner watching us, with that one gigantic right eye, next to a dead, mangled left eye. "What do we do now" said Rose, with the Tri-barrel pointed at It's eyeball. "Shut that web down first, I think, I really don't want a face-full of it" I said, raising the doll.

I closed my eyes, and whispered, "Pretty.... Polly....." and IT jolted with pain. "Pecked the pegs of pickles pirates!!!" I screamed at IT, and the spider rose up on its back legs, furious, and poised to attack. The doll sent a Poke to IT, dazing the spider, and knocking IT on it's back, exposing the web shooting gland. I chained IT to the ground with Grave Shackles, then neutered the one eyed, eight legged freak with a level five Scorch, and sealed the hole with Curse.

IT writhed in pain, and flipped itself over again, then tried to make it back to the hole, as Rose blasted It's front right leg off. Raven sliced the left with a Dagger whirlwind, and It fell back to the ground with a thud. They all descended on IT as it fell, the blizzard of swords and knives striking the spider was breathtaking, and green puss began pooling up around IT.

Suddenly, the room felt as if it had dropped twenty degrees in seconds, and began to get darker, and I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I saw a pitch black light descending onto the room, and a foul odor began spilling out of it, smelling like death.

Then from the center of the growing blackness, we heard a loud, throaty growl, and I could see something very large coming towards us from the other side. All I could make out was a massive frame, and gigantic teeth, row after row of jagged, bloody teeth. There were no more ugly clown suits to hide behind, the REAL Melvin was coming out to play, and he sounded hungry.

Rose jumped in front of the spider, took her inhaler and shoved it in IT's face and yelled, "This is New York Clam Chowder! Eat rotten tomatoes, you hairy arachNerd!" Rose pulled the trigger on the inhaler, and the "Chowder" melted half of the spiders face off. Rose looked at the canister of colored water, amazed, and said, "Um, I think my asthma is cured, I'm not inhaling any more of this stuff."

Barely seeing the eye now because of the black light, Matthew stepped back, and took out the slingshot, then reached in his pocket, and put one of the silver pieces into the leather pouch. He pulled back the elastic and aimed at IT's eye, or where he thought the eye was, as Melvin began to step out of the black hole doorway, to enter the room.

"Hi-Ho-Silver" Matthew shouted, "Away." The silver flew out of the slingshot, and penetrated the eye dead center, and there was a brilliant flash of white light, followed by something that looked like a Pink Floyd laser show that was released from the eye. The legs of the spider all gave out at once, and IT's body slumped to the ground into the pool of green puss underneath, twitching. The black hole began closing, with Melvin still on the other side. We heard a final angry growl, and the door closed on IT and disappeared.

We all stepped away from IT and watched, as the spider tried to rise, looking up at us with a mangled, puss dripping eye. Raven went over to Matthew and pointed at the Behemoth Blade, and asked, "May I?" Matthew handed her the sword, and she walked over to the still alive .... thing.... and said, "You killed my brother Georgie, you hairy piece of filth, and this is for the rest of the little brothers you've killed, too."

She raised the sword over her head, and said, "There's no vacancy in this hotel anymore, go see if hell has room for you." She brought the sword down with both hands, slicing into IT's neck like it was rancid cheese, beheading the spider. IT's head rolled down the slope a bit, then came to rest facing the ceiling, IT's deadlight flickering, and then finally dying out, closing the black door for good. Raven wiped the sword off on the spiders back, and then handed it back to Matthew, saying, "Thank you, it has a nice heft to it."

We all went over by the door, and took care of Red, while Molly and Rose went back to the entrance to look through the supplies. They returned shortly, carrying a first aid kit, and a large can of gasoline, we were going to have a bonfire. The room was dowsed with gas, with most of it poured on the spider, and we all stepped outside.

Raven lit a wooden match, and we all stared at it, transfixed, and she tossed it in the room, and Matthew slammed the door shut. We made our way out the way we had entered, and we paused at the main area at the top level where we had seen Georgie, to say a prayer of thanks for allowing all of us to leave this place together.

As I was standing there, I felt a soft hand touch my shoulder, and I heard a voice say, "Very good, child, all of you. Go now and be with friends, before the memories begin to fade." Fade? No, not again, I thought. It never ceased to amaze me how cruel life could be sometimes. I suddenly wanted to grab all these people, and hold them, to not allow them to be forgotten.

"This path ends here, child, and goes no further. You all must travel your own path, alone, and you will forget." "Yes, but it's just not fair" I said, feeling as if I had just died. "Who are you talking to Dream" asked Rose, "Your doll?" I looked around at all of my friends faces, and finally said, "No one, just the angel on my shoulder, I guess."

End chapter 9

Stephanie King's

IT

Epilogue
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XhShqVwt24

We all went out to dinner the next night for the last time, and it promised to be a bittersweet evening, for me anyway. I had suggested that we try the new French/German place, "Fritzi Baguedonette's", for the schnitzel ratatouille with sauerkraut a l'orange. One bite and you'll be doing a Can Can in your lederhosen, the review had said.

We ended up going back to Senor's though, I guess once you've tasted the corned beef chimichanga, and kissed the Blarney Cactus, you want mas, me boyo. I must admit, I do like the adobe thatched roof, it's kitschy.

This would be our last night together, and we would all leave in the morning, and travel back to the lives we had made, or hadn't made, depending on how you looked at it. I even wore a clean shirt, and used napkins to honor the occasion ...which I would not remember very soon.
The waiter brought our drinks, took our meal orders, and then left. There was more talking and drinking going on at the table than eating, the food was good I suppose, but the conversation and stupid jokes were much better.

We all exchanged cell phone numbers that were destined to be deleted in a short time, when we could no longer recall their owners names. Promises of all getting together again were made, with every intention of keeping, but they would not. I was torn on telling everyone what Tia had said, but in the end I thought, what would it help? Why ruin a great drunken farewell party by telling everyone that they were in for the worst hangover of their lives?

I was talking with Molly when Red began clanking her glass with a spoon, and we all looked up. "I would like to take a moment to thank Matthew for cutting me loose, and keeping me from becoming spider chow yesterday. Thank you, Matt." We all raised a glass, then took a big drink, and set them back on the table again.

Raven reached in her bag of tricks on the floor and said, "This is the last bottle, and I was saving it for a special moment, and I doubt I'll find one better than this." She put the dusty bottle of Gunner's Reserve on the table and pulled out the cork, and passed it to Molly, who raised it and said, "To finally conquering your fears, after you remember what they are, of course." She lifted it, took a gulp, and passed it to Red. "To Lawrence, I hope you are at peace now. I hope they all are." She took a drink and passed it to Matthew, who said sarcastically, "Here's to never going to the circus again, there's been enough clowns in my life already."

Rose took the bottle, and said, "To Ned, the biggest wise butt that I ever knew" and took a drink and passed me the bottle. I raised it, and looked around the table at all the faces that would soon be absolute strangers to me, and said, "To always being able to remember who your friends are." I took a large drink, and passed the bottle back to Raven, who took it and simply raised the bottle, and said, "Amen."

We began leaving early the next morning, each saying our goodbyes as we did, until it was just Raven and I left. "You know, the stuttering has stopped again, I haven't heard it once since IT died" she said. "I guess that's a good sign, Rose's asthma seems completely cured, too" I replied, then asked, "So, are you staying here, or moving on? I don't think Tortuga has a need for a librarian anymore."

Raven thought about it, and said, "I'm not sure yet. I am certainly planning on a vacation anyway, it's been 25 years since my last. What about you?" "Back to Boston, I have a book to finish, and not much time. I think this is my last horror too, maybe I'll head to Washington and see if the White House needs another fiction writer. The ones they have don't seem to be very good at it."

She hesitated a moment, then said, "We are all going to forget, you know." I took a drink of coffee, and nodded, "Yes, Tia told me, that's who I was talking to in the sewer" I said. "It's very difficult to try to imagine forgetting all of you, especially seeing as I just only remembered who you all were. I think it has already started too, there are a few things that I have to struggle to remember now."

I took a book out of my bag, and set it on the table, and said, "This is something from years ago, and I don't even remember writing it, I think it was right after that summer." She picked it up and flipped through the pages, alternately frowning, and smiling broadly. "Pretty soon it will all just be fiction to us again" I said sadly. "You know, it really is hard being a Loser."

She went to give it back to me, and I waved my hand, "Keep it" I said, "You may need a good story on a cold, winter night. And by then, that's all it will be, just a story by someone you don't know." She nodded, and put it down on the table between the Samuel L. Jackson sugar bowl, that said "I am getting sick of these gosh darned vegans, on this gosh darned plane!" when you took the lid off, and the Charlton Heston napkin holder, raising a bacon slab over his head and saying, "When they pry it from my cold, dead hands!" Dang, I thought to myself, I am sure gonna miss this place.

We heard my cab begin honking repeatedly out front, and we got up and headed to the front door. More honking, and then he started revving the engine. Tortuga cab drivers were an impatient lot, sort of like all drivers in Boston. "All I can say is, I hope the next part of your life is better than the last" I said, as we hugged goodbye.

"You take care, Dream" she said, "I'll be waiting to hear those press releases, I'll know it's yours if the President begins to sound like Monty Python." I picked up my bags, and headed to the front door, then dropped them, and hugged her again, saying, "If you're ever in Boston ...and you remember... look me up. I know a really terrible bar that serves really great tequila."

I didn't turn around as I walked to the cab, I couldn't. I got in the back, and the driver looked up in the rear view and asked me where to. I thought about it for a moment, and wiped away the tears rolling down my face with my sleeve, and said, "Some place that has no juke boxes...and pudding. I really need some pudding."

The End

Last edited:
Back