Storm chaser broadside damage

So today I was privateering and I noticed that the damage from a broadside on storm chaser ship is really high. The way I found this out is the storm chaser war brig I was svsing against sank my lvl 5 copperhead war frigate in a single broadside even when I had take cover activated when I also had full health on my ship. Pleas take a look at broadside damage on a storm chaser because I doubt it should be able to do that much damage in a broadside.

I’ve been expecting this to be brought up for a while now so it’s nice to see someone finally voicing concerns about it. Storm chasers are without a doubt the strongest damage ship right now, which they should be as the glass cannon ship class. However when the rng gods bless a storm brig with 12 bolts, that damage gets a little out of hand or even overpowered.
It’s quite unoften svs gets patches, and from my understanding other areas of the game are being focused on, but hopefully down the road more balances can be looked at with broadside behaviors for Stormchaser, and maybe firestorm as well- being the polar opposite least powerful rn.

Id really like to see people get realistic about the damage stormchaser war brigs are capable of doing and perhaps consider some sort of restriction to the amount of bolts that can be fired. (Similar to copperhead but perhaps something like 6-8 bolt max instead of the 1 exp) With the addition of the test servers, I am more than optimistic your request won’t get swept under the rug.

or... ya know... make copperheads able to fire a full explosive broad instead.
(edit) the storm chaser is also the fastest ship class and most powerful. So why don’t we take the speed from the storm chaser class and put it into the firestorm class and even it up a little.

Last edited:
Storm chasers are without a doubt the strongest damage ship right now, which they should be as the glass cannon ship class. However when the rng gods bless a storm brig with 12 bolts, that damage gets a little out of hand or even overpowered.

Storm chaser is 2nd in terms of average damage output, even after the copperhead nerf. At some point I'm going to do a thread covering this more in detail.

I'd like to know what the probability is of getting x number of bolts per broadside. Most broadsides should have 5 or 6, getting 11 or 12 should be pretty rare, and there's also the chance of getting few or none at all. But when it does happen, you're right that the damage is huge, a full load is 3x the damage of a standard round shot broadside.

Totally agree regarding firestorm, even with 100% firebrand broadsides the average damage output would remain 2nd to last.

Wait, Copperhead is automatically limited to only one explosive max? Didn't realize that.
Recent change. They also increased the percentage of getting an explosive, so you're effectively guaranteed to get that 1 explosive in every broadside.

I hope they won’t change ships further and really dream of getting the Copperhead reverted. Maybe SvS damage is the problem and should be dealt with in the SvS platform rather than completely changing the balance of ships. In potco the ship upgrades were brilliantly balanced and I want that for tlopo too. On the face of it I see nothing wrong with getting one shot when you blunder into someone’s full broadside, it should rather be the expectation, of course I wasn’t there and didn’t see so maybe I’m missing something.

Storm chaser is 2nd in terms of average damage output, even after the copperhead nerf. At some point I'm going to do a thread covering this more in detail.

I'd like to know what the probability is of getting x number of bolts per broadside. Most broadsides should have 5 or 6, getting 11 or 12 should be pretty rare, and there's also the chance of getting few or none at all. But when it does happen, you're right that the damage is huge, a full load is 3x the damage of a standard round shot broadside.

Totally agree regarding firestorm, even with 100% firebrand broadsides the average damage output would remain 2nd to last.

Recent change. They also increased the percentage of getting an explosive, so you're effectively guaranteed to get that 1 explosive in every broadside.
Shame. Removes a lot of the unpredictability, the chaos. The kind of stuff that can make things really exicting.

@Admiral Mason, I've definitely seen some... exaggeration from previous posts. If you would like to read the full discussion regarding the Copperhead changes (including posts from the Developer who lead them and spent their time on it, check out this post here.

As they even out all the upgrades we will be left with the same thing as unupgraded ships, lol, apparently what quite a few want.
Interesting thought process, though incorrect.

(edit) the storm chaser is also the fastest ship class and most powerful. So why don’t we take the speed from the storm chaser class and put it into the firestorm class and even it up a little.

This isn't a bad idea necessarily. I like the way in which you were going, although it's hard to compare the two when the staple feature of Firestorm (and to a latter extent, Fortune Hunter) are not currently functioning in their entirety. While I wouldn't remove all the speed from a Stormchaser in this regard, I think this could be a way to balance the two accordingly later down the road.

Sounds like the developers should reduce the damage taken in svs.
I hope they won’t change ships further and really dream of getting the Copperhead reverted. Maybe SvS damage is the problem and should be dealt with in the SvS platform rather than completely changing the balance of ships. In potco the ship upgrades were brilliantly balanced and I want that for tlopo too. On the face of it I see nothing wrong with getting one shot when you blunder into someone’s full broadside, it should rather be the expectation, of course I wasn’t there and didn’t see so maybe I’m missing something.

The problem with the current system is that you CANNOT balance SvS on its own. Ships function nearly identically between SvS and Free Roam combat, which is how Disney implemented it and is ALSO why they ran into so many balance issues. Believe me, if it were possible just to lower damage values of different ammunition, it would have been done. It isn't that simple.

Also,
. In potco the ship upgrades were brilliantly balanced
No they weren't. The hull upgrades had just as many 'balance issues' as they do in present day, which is one of quite a list of reasons as to why the game is in beta. It just isn't reasonable to expect nothing to change from how the base game was. Prevalent POTCO bugs are and will continue to be patched out, glitches too, and the game is going to be made into a working order that is enjoyable both in performance and gameplay.

@Admiral Mason, I've definitely seen some... exaggeration from previous posts. If you would like to read the full discussion regarding the Copperhead changes (including posts from the Developer who lead them and spent their time on it, check out this post here.

Interesting thought process, though incorrect.

This isn't a bad idea necessarily. I like the way in which you were going, although it's hard to compare the two when the staple feature of Firestorm (and to a latter extent, Fortune Hunter) are not currently functioning in their entirety. While I wouldn't remove all the speed from a Stormchaser in this regard, I think this could be a way to balance the two accordingly later down the road.

The problem with the current system is that you CANNOT balance SvS on its own. Ships function nearly identically between SvS and Free Roam combat, which is how Disney implemented it and is ALSO why they ran into so many balance issues. Believe me, if it were possible just to lower damage values of different ammunition, it would have been done. It isn't that simple.

Also,

No they weren't. The hull upgrades had just as many 'balance issues' as they do in present day, which is one of quite a list of reasons as to why the game is in beta. It just isn't reasonable to expect nothing to change from how the base game was. Prevalent POTCO bugs are and will continue to be patched out, glitches too, and the game is going to be made into a working order that is enjoyable both in performance and gameplay.
All a matter of opinion. We are on two sides of a fence: 1) wants ships as they were in potco. 2) wants to change them to their liking.

In potco ships performance was fine for me in both SvE and SvS but obviously you and many others struggled with it and don’t want it back.

All a matter of opinion. We are on two sides of a fence: 1) wants ships as they were in potco. 2) wants to change them to their liking.

In potco ships performance was fine for me in both SvE and SvS but obviously you and many others struggled with it and don’t want it back.
POTCO wasn't perfection and the original team definitely had balancing stuff on their agenda the Devs are doing their best to balance the game like potco never had the chance to do.

• Copper head was super op
  • Storm chaser is pretty op right now
  • Grenades are just incredibly busted for how easy they are to obtain
  • Staff is underpowered for what it is
  • Voodoo in general isn't very good and needs some love
  • Throwing knives are borderline useless outside of some abilities they give
  • Muskets and bayonets feel like the same item and both are hopelessly outclassed by pistols repeaters and blunders

All of these things are huge balance issues that existed in potco that hopefully the devs will take a look at

These things as well as many other unlisted

Given all the effort one has to put into getting Copperhead, feels kinda lame that it barely has more offensive power than Stormchaser while being much slower.

Would you say it is clearly superior?
No but it doesn't have to be. It needs to be equally strong in a different area. To me the copperhead always felt like it was intended to be a slow juggernaut that could soak up a lot of damage and punish enemies for getting to close.

The skull and bones was supposed to be a high damage decent speed ship that could get in desk sir of damage but get punished for staying to long

POTCO wasn't perfection and the original team definitely had balancing stuff on their agenda the Devs are doing their best to balance the game like potco never had the chance to do.

• Copper head was super op
  • Storm chaser is pretty op right now
  • Grenades are just incredibly busted for how easy they are to obtain
  • Staff is underpowered for what it is
  • Voodoo in general isn't very good and needs some love
  • Throwing knives are borderline useless outside of some abilities they give
  • Muskets and bayonets feel like the same item and both are hopelessly outclassed by pistols repeaters and blunders

All of these things are huge balance issues that existed in potco that hopefully the devs will take a look at

These things as well as many other unlisted
I disagree and want the game back as it was in potco. I’m fine with taking a look at these things and then adding new content that is separated, like Forsaken Shallows is, from the original content that addresses things any way that the developers would like. It seems to me that the Stormchaser’s broadside power could easily be negated by the addition of further armor upgrades for all the upgradable ships rather than nerfing the original ship, thus preserving the original content.

I disagree and want the game back as it was in potco. I’m fine with taking a look at these things and then adding new content that is separated, like Forsaken Shallows is, from the original content that addresses things any way that the developers would like. It seems to me that the Stormchaser’s broadside power could easily be negated by the addition of further armor upgrades for all the upgradable ships rather than nerfing the original ship, thus preserving the original content.
You're looking at it to narrowly.

If they simply upped the armor on the rest of the regular ships that would help solve the issue for svs but it would solve the she issue.

If you upped the armor for the rest of the enemies ships then it would severely throw off damage and capabilities of every non-upgraded ship which would have a heavy toll on new pirates attempting to level up.

Changing the damage of a single ship is a much smaller change than completely redoing armor for the game as a hole..

Ironically I think the copperhead change was one that kept it as similar to the base game as possible

Back