Storm chaser broadside damage

Why should it be clearly superior? Isn't the true end goal to have all ship variants be equally balanced to each other and excel in their own way?
Because it requires more effort to get. So much iron and steel. It's perhaps the hardest, most time consuming upgrade to get.

Because it requires more effort to get. So much iron and steel. It's perhaps the hardest, most time consuming upgrade to get.
Because it has such a high armor rating. Being able to survive for long periods of time in alot of cases is more valuable than damage output.

Admittedly I think mats and their stop rates in general should be tweaked a little bit but it has the best armor stat in the game and either the best or second best damage in the game.

It's easily top tier just like it should be. It just depends on what you want out of a ship

Admittedly I think mats and their stop rates in general should be tweaked a little bit but it has the best armor stat in the game and either the best or second best damage in the game.

This is indeed something I am looking at for a future update, but would rather wait until all the bugs involving the other ship upgrades are fixed so we can get an accurate look at the overall balance as it is.

----------

For what it's worth, extensive testing did confirm that Copperhead is still the strongest ship upgrade in the game. Not everything is about damage, after all. In the case of Copperhead, it was simply too powerful between its ability to one-shot almost every enemy ship in the game, and barely take any damage.

In regards to Stormchaser, we did consider changing it for a time, but have ultimately decided to leave it as-is for the same reason as holding off on changing upgrade costs. We may revisit it in the future, if absolutely necessary.

I disagree and want the game back as it was in potco. I’m fine with taking a look at these things and then adding new content that is separated, like Forsaken Shallows is, from the original content that addresses things any way that the developers would like. It seems to me that the Stormchaser’s broadside power could easily be negated by the addition of further armor upgrades for all the upgradable ships rather than nerfing the original ship, thus preserving the original content.

This way of thinking is what ultimately leads to a game stagnating and losing its player base. If everything stays the same, people eventually get bored and just leave. Likewise, if something stays strong for too long, people get frustrated and either all move over to play it, or deal with the knowledge they'll perform poorly by playing how they want -- something we don't want to happen.

Likewise, just making everything else stronger every time you want to balance something is what leads to a dangerous thing called 'power creep', which is extremely unhealthy for a game in the long term.

At the end of the day, we made a decision that was deemed healthiest for TLOPO in the long term, and in line with what the original POTCO developers were aiming for but not given the chance to do.

@Admiral Mason, I've definitely seen some... exaggeration from previous posts. If you would like to read the full discussion regarding the Copperhead changes (including posts from the Developer who lead them and spent their time on it, check out this post here.

Interesting thought process, though incorrect.

This isn't a bad idea necessarily. I like the way in which you were going, although it's hard to compare the two when the staple feature of Firestorm (and to a latter extent, Fortune Hunter) are not currently functioning in their entirety. While I wouldn't remove all the speed from a Stormchaser in this regard, I think this could be a way to balance the two accordingly later down the road.

The problem with the current system is that you CANNOT balance SvS on its own. Ships function nearly identically between SvS and Free Roam combat, which is how Disney implemented it and is ALSO why they ran into so many balance issues. Believe me, if it were possible just to lower damage values of different ammunition, it would have been done. It isn't that simple.

Also,

No they weren't. The hull upgrades had just as many 'balance issues' as they do in present day, which is one of quite a list of reasons as to why the game is in beta. It just isn't reasonable to expect nothing to change from how the base game was. Prevalent POTCO bugs are and will continue to be patched out, glitches too, and the game is going to be made into a working order that is enjoyable both in performance and gameplay.
Are you saying that they can't lower the damage from svs only like disney did in potco?

I one hit a hunter with my copperhead war frigate once after they got nerfed
I mean I wouldn’t complain if they buffed copperheads but last time I checked copperheads are the only ship that can one hit hunters

Back