Strategy (for a remake of the R&R)

S

Shamus The Brute

No matter what is actually done, a POTCO remake cannot disappear 100% of the RISK it inherits in remaking a past Disney game. However, the risk itself could be lowered and below is a strategy I propose which extracts what TLOPO and all of you pirates want and support with what I deem as both imperative to the community's own survival. Read it below if you like and while you are doing so please remember that until the RISK in remaking POTCO is taken seriously your fate in longing to return to the Caribbean once more swings on the very way TLOPO directly confronts said risk - long-term - in remaking POTCO (a game inspired by a 'money-making theme-park ride/a continual Disney intellectual property').

TLOPO does exactly what it is doing now
:
TLOPO continues to achieve both progress and success without approaching Disney concerning the remake and what is most important to TLOPO's interest. This aspect of the strategy "satisfies" everyone's interest in so far as remaining to keep TLOPO under-the-radar so to speak to where Disney is not poked (despite the fact that Disney knows full well what is going on but has decided for itself to remain tolerant towards remakes such as TLOPO and TTR). With Disney not approached, TLOPO continues to do what it wants but at the RISK of being shut-down at any point in time and at Disney's discretion.

The REWARD would be that TLOPO players will have had the opportunity to enjoy the remake for as long as Disney does not take action nor meddle.

TLOPO approaches Disney at an agreed upon point-in-time of said remake's progress:
Prior to any action taken by Disney, TLOPO agrees upon a specific date within it's own progression to pause and to then initiate an effort to approach Disney (using as 'leverage' the extent of progress, professional handling of the game, and the community growth of the TLOPO community). Once dialogue has occurred, Disney assumes the burden of coming to terms with how it should handle TLOPO specifically given the extent of the leverage stacked against Disney in doing so.

For reasons unknown to many (including myself), Disney has remained lenient towards it's own intellectual property being used. This is true for remakes like TTR and TLOPO because permission still has not been granted despite copyright being enforced on such property. (For those of you whom support TLOPO being made simply because no money/donations has exchanged hands, such a point-of-view does not override the fact that copyright is nevertheless upheld by Disney). So...I am of the opinion of the theory that Disney has ignored taking action thus far because they do not want to upset nor lose the community of people whom support such a remake occurring. In other words, Disney sees that they have much to lose by taking action at the RISK in losing potential Disney fans. Make sense? I feel that it does. So how does TLOPO take advantage of this? :confused: TLOPO simply continues to make progression to the point to where TLOPO ultimately "shows" Disney the many people around the world whom support POTCO being remade. I suggest therefore that TLOPO approaches Disney for purpose of not only showcasing their support, talent, and capabilities but also towards the strategy of keeping the line-of-communication open with Disney pertinent to TLOPO.

The RISK in TLOPO approaching Disney is apparent. Disney could decide to shut-down TLOPO at that moment. *However and I ask everyone to consider this, would this level of RISK be any worse for TLOPO than the level of risk currently to where Disney could do much the same at any given point-in-time? The key difference in doing so being that Disney could actually be impressed with TLOPO in approaching them directly opening up the line-of-communication. What wouldn't particularly work towards TLOPO's advantage though in doing so is permitting too much time to pass to strike-up such dialogue. The reason? Communication itself permits the sharing of information and feedback. Waiting too long to approach Disney permits Disney an inclination that their opinion is not overly valued by TLOPO. Regardless, information divulged ultimately leads to understanding and understanding itself usually leads to mutual trust. If TLOPO refuses to contemplate Disney's trust, Disney has no basis nor facts to go on that TLOPO is uniquely different from any other remake out there. (Important to consider given what has been 'done' with other remake strategies).

The REWARD in TLOPO approaching Disney is one of both disclosure and respect. Disclosure permits Disney an opportunity to not only trust TLOPO but it also permits a mindset of respect. :hugs:Where trust and respect go hand-in-hand, even when key decision-makers of Disney change jobs/employment positions...over time the reward gained by word-of-mouth may very well be the thing which makes or breaks a progressing remake of POTCO, such as TLOPO.

To reiterate my opening statement to this thread, a POTCO remake cannot disappear 100% of the RISK it ultimately inherits. The RISK itself though can be lowered and it can be lowered to extend a gaming community's own fate and life.

Shamus ~

(To critics of what I suggest above: No need to clutter this thread by explaining to me how comfortable you and everyone else are with things 'as is.' I already know how the community feels and this thread permits myself an opportunity to share my own thoughts on the subject matter...this one last time).

Nice strategy, planning on making your own remake? Glad you have such a huge concern for this community Shamus, shows how great of a guy you are. One of a kind! I'm sure there is nothing to worry about :)

Incredibly well though out as always Shamus. Another possible reward I see could be Disney taking a slight reinterest in this game, and help it's progress in small ways such as providing assistance with development, and possibly partially funding it. While I doubt they would fund it, it remains a very small possibility because it would give them a very cheap form of advertisement, which could entice future players to spend money on POTC-related items.

why isn't this in general discussion? I mean it does directly concern tlopo and I think it would gain more traction in general. Or if not general, suggestions?

well spoken as usual mate :cheers:
:iagree: Indeed, and well explained.

Glad you have such a huge concern for this community Shamus, shows how great of a guy you are. One of a kind!
Indeed as well. This is a very kind post. :D Shamus has cared about the community for 6 years and counting.

why isn't this in general discussion? I mean it does directly concern tlopo
he is proposing suggestions to Tlopo.

Shamus, thank you for explaining these things.
My main thought though, is I wouldn't want to wake a sleeping giant.

I would definitely prefer an approach on Disney now, because if they were to get involved in the future, they could take everything without notice resulting in a community uproar. Although I doubt Disney would do anything, since the team doesn't accept any donations or charge for anything, it is copyright, but still has custom work of tlopo. I don't know how Disney will react, but either way, better safe than sorry.

Back