Event SvS Survival Regatta

I say there is nothing wrong with trying it and adjusting the rules as we discover what works and what doesn't. If people don't like it or it doesn't work out for some reason it would be no big deal, this is for fun. If it's not fun then just give up...

I think the galleon idea is a great one! There would have to be a set course to make it less confusing, but otherwise they would just keep sailing until one is sunk. For instance, start at Avarcia with half French half Spanish ships (undamaged) sail around Padres and back to Avarcia and around it. The course keeps going until one galleon is sunk. I think the galleons shouldn't be able to attack, only keep moving. That way, if the sloops stop to attack each other, the galleons become exposed! Overall, I love the idea!

This is a awesome idea, my two cents are. Aside from those getting involved that aren't in the event, there is another issue, timing. By that I mean if we go with the four sloops and one galleon, the event lasts at the most 20 minutes. How long the event is aimed at is something to consider when figuring out how the event works.
(also crashalot, it may show I replied to you, when it was a miss click)

This is a awesome idea, my two cents are. Aside from those getting involved that aren't in the event, there is another issue, timing. By that I mean if we go with the four sloops and one galleon, the event lasts at the most 20 minutes. How long the event is aimed at is something to consider when figuring out how the event works.
It's OK to secretly want to reply to me, no worries!

I think the galleon idea is a great one! There would have to be a set course to make it less confusing, but otherwise they would just keep sailing until one is sunk. For instance, start at Avarcia with half French half Spanish ships (undamaged) sail around Padres and back to Avarcia and around it. The course keeps going until one galleon is sunk. I think the galleons shouldn't be able to attack, only keep moving. That way, if the sloops stop to attack each other, the galleons become exposed! Overall, I love the idea!
I disagree with not allowing the galleons to defend themselves, I think that part would be hard to enforce. But possibly continuing until one is sunk might be an option, rather than having a finish line. What does everyone else think? Myself personally, I like the idea Eric Sailcutter had where it's still a race, but the galleons are allowed to re-spawn until one reaches the finish line, but once the sloops sink they're out of the race.

there is another issue, timing. By that I mean if we go with the four sloops and one galleon, the event lasts at the most 20 minutes. How long the event is aimed at is something to consider when figuring out how the event works.
Can you elaborate a little more? Do you mean putting a time limit on the race?

This does sound fun, could even keep a leaderboard and stats
They would have to be unofficial leaderboards here on the forum since we are talking bout organizing this as a player run event.

I just remembered that not only would there be people not wishing to participate outside of the event but inside too.
What happens when players board your ship and don't want to play and you can't kick them...

*facepalm*

I just remembered that not only would there be people not wishing to participate outside of the event but inside too.
What happens when players board your ship and don't want to play and you can't kick them...

*facepalm*
I assume that once they know what's going on, either they will leave or they will stay aboard and just complain about everything until the event is over.

What does everyone think about where the starting point should be? Should the regatta begin from the SvS islands, or a different island far away, such as Cuba?

I think moving the starting line away from the SvS islands might help reduce the number of outside people affecting the race.

Actually luv, before Disney originally skewed the ship hostility levels, our guild used to hold a Regatta very similar - only it wasn't SvS.

Our Survival Regatta was three long laps around several islands that crossed into heavy enemy ship areas. The trick? You had to do it in a Light Galleon. The slowest and easiest to sink ship on the Caribbe. More often than not, we lost some folks along the way.

However, in regards to an SvS event it might work something like Roller Derby; in that you're trying to score by making laps while preventing the other team from doing the same. Surely roller derby tactics would come into play with some ships sacrificing themselves to slow or stop scoring (Blockers) and others being fast agile crews for scoring (Jammers).

If you're going to hold such an event, you'll need neutral parties at your island outposts to monitor which ships are completing laps. It's not impossible but can be difficult to track a lot of ships - especially in battle.

Actually luv, before Disney originally skewed the ship hostility levels, our guild used to hold a Regatta very similar - only it wasn't SvS.

Our Survival Regatta was three long laps around several islands that crossed into heavy enemy ship areas. The trick? You had to do it in a Light Galleon. The slowest and easiest to sink ship on the Caribbe. More often than not, we lost some folks along the way.

However, in regards to an SvS event it might work something like Roller Derby; in that you're trying to score by making laps while preventing the other team from doing the same. Surely roller derby tactics would come into play with some ships sacrificing themselves to slow or stop scoring (Blockers) and others being fast agile crews for scoring (Jammers).

If you're going to hold such an event, you'll need neutral parties at your island outposts to monitor which ships are completing laps. It's not impossible but can be difficult to track a lot of ships - especially in battle.

I was thinking at a minimum there would be two or three "referee" ships needed, (as regular non-SvS ships, so no one could sink the ref!) depending on the length of the course.

I know noting about roller derby but the ideas from it sound very helpful. I might have to do more research ^_^

So I had an idea for when TLOPO comes back online and SvS is working. A SvS Survival Regatta.

I'm not sure how to set it up, but I think it could work like this. We have equal groups for the French and Spanish. (We would have to determine how many crew could be on a ship, and possibly what ships to allow).

Each team will race to make a lap around another island (not sure how far away it should be) while trying to sink as many members of the opposing team. First team to have a ship make it back to their home island wins.

What do you think?
Good Idea

Back