Event SvS Survival Regatta

I say there is nothing wrong with trying it and adjusting the rules as we discover what works and what doesn't. If people don't like it or it doesn't work out for some reason it would be no big deal, this is for fun. If it's not fun then just give up...
Well its like the wise Chief Dan George once said, "If the horse gets old... Get off." to me if people wanna leave its fine I will always respect it. Just like I accepted Leo leaving along with Mumbo Jumbo. Both really the only competitors in svs for me after September 12th, 2011.

So I've still been thinking this over and this is what I've come up with:

Participants:
Two non-svs "referee" ships
One war galleon per team
Ideally four war sloops per team
Crew size to be determined

The Regatta:
Each team will start at (starting point to be determined), make one lap around (TBD) then return back to the starting point.

To win, a team must get their galleon from the starting line around the course to the finish. Each team will use their sloops to defend their galleon and attempt to sink the opposing team's ship.

If a sloop is sunk, it is not allowed to rejoin the race. If a galleon is sunk, it may re-join the race, but only after it has gone back to the starting point.
(Any ship sunk by a non-regatta ship will be allowed to rejoin the race without having to go back to the starting line.)

First team to get their galleon across the finish line wins.

(Credit to MikhailSkulls, Eric Sailcutter and ElizaCreststeel for the ideas they contributed)

Who is interested? Does this sound like it will work?

So I've still been thinking this over and this is what I've come up with:

Participants:
Two non-svs "referee" ships
One war galleon per team
Ideally four war sloops per team
Crew size to be determined

The Regatta:
Each team will start at (starting point to be determined), make one lap around (TBD) then return back to the starting point.

To win, a team must get their galleon from the starting line around the course to the finish. Each team will use their sloops to defend their galleon and attempt to sink the opposing team's ship.

If a sloop is sunk, it is not allowed to rejoin the race. If a galleon is sunk, it may re-join the race, but only after it has gone back to the starting point.
(Any ship sunk by a non-regatta ship will be allowed to rejoin the race without having to go back to the starting line.)

First team to get their galleon across the finish line wins.

(Credit to MikhailSkulls, Eric Sailcutter and ElizaCreststeel for the ideas they contributed)

Who is interested? Does this sound like it will work?
Sounds great! This is definitely an interesting idea to consider!

People keep saying that but I remember in POTCO round shot did like 90 damage against armoured players.

There was a massive damage reduction in SvS since always.

So perhaps a smaller test run. Sky Kiwi and I were also talking and discussed using war frigates instead of the war galleons--I think this may help participation since more people have frigates it seems.

Most people have War Brigs, I only have a War Sloop and War Brig.
I debated against War Galleons because they're too easy to hit and therefore too easy to sink / too hard to protect.

War Brigs have the same problem, with the added issue that they move too fast. The sloops need to be able to maneuver around the racers!

I debated against War Galleons because they're too easy to hit and therefore too easy to sink / too hard to protect.

War Brigs have the same problem, with the added issue that they move too fast. The sloops need to be able to maneuver around the racers!
Atm SvS ships are impossible to sink due to a glitch where not enough dmg is done.

Atm SvS ships are impossible to sink due to a glitch where not enough dmg is done.
People keep saying this, but every time I've done SvS it's seemed to work just fine. Player ships had massive damage reduction in POTCO (like 90 damage per round shot, 180 for fury, when armoured). Youtube videos seem to confirm this, though it's very hard to find youtube videos of POTCO that aren't terrible.

Literally just sank a ship in SvS before I posted this to make sure. There's a bunch of people battling in Abassa right now.

Edit: Played a little more and encountered the issue. It seems the damage reduction doesn't go away properly when the enemy ship loses all its armour, meaning they can out-repair the damage.

However, in the case of this event plan of ours, this could be a good thing. If we disallow or otherwise limit the amount of repairs ships can do, it will act as the flagships having massive amounts of health SOTL Warship style. We could utilize that.

Last edited:
So I had an idea for when TLOPO comes back online and SvS is working. A SvS Survival Regatta.

I'm not sure how to set it up, but I think it could work like this. We have equal groups for the French and Spanish. (We would have to determine how many crew could be on a ship, and possibly what ships to allow).

Each team will race to make a lap around another island (not sure how far away it should be) while trying to sink as many members of the opposing team. First team to have a ship make it back to their home island wins.

What do you think?

We actually did this once on POTCO. It was hysterically funny. It was one of our monthly guild events. We raced from the SVS islands, around Devil's Anvil, and back.

I am most definitely interested! It sounds awesome!

But instead of debating on what ship to use, why not just add categories? Let me explain:

• Categories stating the war class ships, and therefore developing heats, kind of like a real life competition.
  • In each heat, the base line would be to keep the ships the same,
    • Heat one would be War Brigs
    • Heat two would be War Frigates
    • Heat three would be War Galleons
    • Heat four would be War sloops
  • From then on, the winners of the heats will race each other to determine who the true winner is!
Just my input on this, but if you need any help with this, I'm always down to help!

Back