SvS SVS Tactics and Bounty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate Goldwalker

Fairy Tail Girl
Please read this on the wiki concerning how SvS works, tactics, and how the Bounty is given or divided up (which can depend on if one ship or two sink you). Including the comments at the bottom. There is a ton of info explaining how the bounty works there.

https://piratesonline.fandom.com/wiki/Privateering

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic, with many people think that splitting a bounty, or using the SvS to pocket gold of any kind is a form of exploiting. As long as the players are not using any 3rd party program while in game, there is no exploiting.

Somewhere in the old POTCO section of the forums, there are also many threads on SvS to explain ways to set up your Cannon Skills and Sailing Skills for SvS specifically. However, if you really are not into SvS, then I advise you to not change your sailing or cannon skills in any way. But, the important thing to remember is to use the skill points on either in whatever way makes you more comfortable and according to your play style for sailing an cannoning.

Keep in mind also, that any cannon rams that you may find once Cannon Defense returns to TLOPO, or in any other type of looting that they are found in, can also be used in SvS. Btw, some of you may not realize that cannon rams can also be used with your sailing skills to increase the strength of the broadsides. So, if you've got a specific ship upgrade that uses an enhanced type of ammo in broadsides, cannon rams specific to that type of ammo will help those broadsides as well.

@LEO was kind enough to share his knowledge (about SVS/sailing tips) along with @Rannulf and others. ;) A great read is this forums post below:
*Bounty is a touchy subject with at least pirates whom SVS/privateer'd in POTCO. As such, amongst the avid privateers there was always an "unspoken" golden rule that the Bounty itself was not to be ported if a lot of activity was going on between the 2 SVS sides; Spanish and French. As I understand it, this golden rule pertinent to BOUNTY not being ported always (especially if the level of competition was well-matched) was more a gesture of politeness and common courtesy especially since so many SVS/privateers knew each other well then and frequently would bout each other.

In my opinion, there is something to be said about competition alone (rather than the reward of 'just' bounty) that was attractive to the way SVS was played back then - by most privateers (despite the fact of a lot of 'major' cheating going on).

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no confusion. Trading bounty just to get gold is an exploit. Svs was meant to be competitive.

I have been reporting people exploiting svs for gold for months now and not once has the tlopo staff ever corrected me on the subject or told me to stop sending reports.

If someone from the tlopo staff ever does weigh in and set me straight on this then obviously I would adjust my views as it is their game.

@tiberias, POTCO never banned people for that back then either, cause it isn't a way of cheating.

And, it isn't a bug either so this would not apply:

74337f1bcbfa9e38f6b89ffda0f23b52.png

Technically, the exploit option in the report feature in the game is too broad of a word. We can nitpick back and forth about how technically you're correct that it is exploiting a system that was designed by POTCO... taking advantage of a way to gain gold in game. But that is just how the game was designed for svs and poker. The exploit option in the report feature is suppose to be to report people who are cheating, ie using 3rd party program or as you see in the image above the explanation of taking advantage of a bug in the game to cheat over other players.

If you think about it, when transferring gold in poker or even in svs from the bounty, well that is just something that naturally happens with each hand or each time you sail in svs whether it's to get max gold faster or not. AND it's not gaining any advantage over any other player in game.

Last edited:
I will continue to attack players I catch trading bounty and becoming svs admirals by sinking their buddy over and over again who isn't even fighting back. I will continue to report those doing this til the TLOPO STAFF tells me not to.

The poker table has ai players who will try to stop you from exchanging money with another player. It actually takes skill to beat them. Some people lose all their money attempting it.

I will continue to attack players I catch trading bounty and becoming svs admirals by sinking their buddy over and over again who isn't even fighting back. I will continue to report those doing this til the TLOPO STAFF tells me not to...
I can understand your frustration and, I would probably do the same. (Forcing privateers to actually 'engage' in SVS tactic and maneuvers, after all, is one way to change everyone's mind about cheating indirectly the system). Reporting players for doing so, however, might be a less direct approach. Can always try though, I guess.

I will continue to attack players I catch trading bounty and becoming svs admirals by sinking their buddy over and over again who isn't even fighting back. I will continue to report those doing this til the TLOPO STAFF tells me not to.

The poker table has ai players who will try to stop you from exchanging money with another player. It actually takes skill to beat them. Some people lose all their money attempting it.
Kate is a member of the TLOPO staff and she is correct. We would prefer if people didn’t swap in SvS but we aren’t going to ban people for it.

Last edited:
So I wanted to go ahead and add onto this thread by including my argument from the view of the other side.

It's completely true that the original purpose for the SVS system (and it's also incorporated bounty) were likely made to be used in a competitive manner. However, as Moderator Kate had said - it's not an exploit to the system - to me, its just a matter of interpretation on how the player views it as a potential resource.

There are also a few other view points that I have on the topic such as the following:

"Just because other people are doing it - doesn't mean you have to": As players, we have some freedoms in deciding how we want to go about doing things in game. How we want to level up - do we want to do it solo? do we want to do it with a crew? do we want to go and make an alt so we have crew bonus? Why should the "how do we decide to obtain gold" question be any different? (As long as it isn't really being done with hacks and exploiting the system). If you want to earn your gold through competitive SVS - then you are allowed to - I (and most likely the moderators as well) would applaud you for going about the system the intended way and going through that hard work to do so.

"Gold isn't even half the game": Ever tried leveling up your pirate by tossing some gold over Jack's way - giving him a wink - and then the next morning your level 50? Or what about tossing gold at your ship hoping to upgrade it without the materials? What about even trying to get the ship you want without the sailing level? Ever tried throwing gold at a skull chest in hopes that it gives you a legendary? (Yes, I probably have, I have tried lol.) But the point is - that it doesn't work. Obtaining gold in game does not give you any drastic advantages over one person or the other.

I appreciate the conversation topic though - and please if there was something I had gotten wrong feel free to let me know I would be more than happy to reply on the subject :)

Kate is a member of the TLOPO staff and is correct. We would prefer if people didn’t swap in SvS but we aren’t going to ban people for it.
Good to know. I'll just stop bothering with it anymore and I mean if you don't care that people exploit svs for gold then why should I care?

Last edited:
Please read this on the wiki concerning how SvS works, tactics, and how the Bounty is given or divided up (which can depend on if one ship or two sink you). Including the comments at the bottom. There is a ton of info explaining how the bounty works there.

https://piratesonline.fandom.com/wiki/Privateering

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic, with many people think that splitting a bounty, or using the SvS to pocket gold of any kind is a form of exploiting. As long as the players are not using any 3rd party program while in game, there is no exploiting.

Actually, believe it or not people got banned for it back in POTCO, when people bounty switched, that was its nickname, people got banned for it when caught doing it in a quiet server, worse in andaba whenever it was busy.

@LEO was kind enough to share his knowledge (about SVS/sailing tips) along with @Rannulf and others. ;) A great read is this forums post below:
*Bounty is a touchy subject with at least pirates whom SVS/privateer'd in POTCO. As such, amongst the avid privateers there was always an "unspoken" golden rule that the Bounty itself was not to be ported if a lot of activity was going on between the 2 SVS sides; Spanish and French. As I understand it, this golden rule pertinent to BOUNTY not being ported always (especially if the level of competition was well-matched) was more a gesture of politeness and common courtesy especially since so many SVS/privateers knew each other well then and frequently would bout each other.

In my opinion, there is something to be said about competition alone (rather than the reward of 'just' bounty) that was attractive to the way SVS was played back then - by most privateers (despite the fact of a lot of 'major' cheating going on).

Some people like myself and many others liked to port bounty, it was the point of the game. Competition, revenge, etc. You see if people saw bounty PLUS a STREAK going on, we would wanna stop it, launch and then port it. It would cause chaos and chases around the map, that whole theory and idea of not porting a bounty is dumb because days end, nights end, what we gonna do not port the bounty ever? that whole idea was dumb and stupid passed among some svsers, in reality it was people, streaks, bounty to end that drove us not the whole idea of bounty not to be ported.

Some people like myself and many others liked to port bounty, it was the point of the game. Competition, revenge, etc. You see if people saw bounty PLUS a STREAK going on, we would wanna stop it, launch and then port it. It would cause chaos and chases around the map, that whole theory and idea of not porting a bounty is dumb because days end, nights end, what we gonna do not port the bounty ever? that whole idea was dumb and stupid passed among some svsers, in reality it was people, streaks, bounty to end that drove us not the whole idea of bounty not to be ported.

Right - I can totally make sense of that. It's essentially what Tiberius had talked about in mentioning that we were mostly using this for competition. I wouldn't expect anyone to try and hold onto bounty overnight or anything like that.

All I can tell you is, some pretty reputable SVS/privateers during POTCO's time (a few I consider still 'close friends') viewed in my opinion the porting of bounty as more a gesture for newcomers or occasional SVS/privateers. Because those whom SVS mostly and loved to do so, bounty itself was really unimportant to them and NOT really the main purpose or goal of SVS. As such and because the SVS community then was so close-knit, those whom SVS regularly knew each other and felt the competition level alone (out on the high-seas) meant more than enough to where bounty itself was viewed as just a_perk to the thrill of out-maneuvering someone on their ship. (For many of those whom knew each other, it was really NOT accepted for someone to just 'collect' for the purpose of bounty alone. ** It was as if in doing so it was a huge SLAP to the face of the system of SVS alone).

Collecting/trading bounty for the purpose of the bounty alone might not be considered an official exploit by many but in hindsight, it really is because the bounty itself is not LEGITIMATELY earned in lieu of how it is "suppose to be" earned! ;)

I don't know when the last time you logged in was, but the quiet servers are full of people trading bounty non competitively. Entire guilds do it and teach new players how to do it every day. Outside of my guild, I don't even know a single legit player who hasn't gotten a sizeable chunk of their svs rank from trading bounty. Not saying they dont exist but they are few and far between.

The competitive environment you are describing in you post is just not what is going on in TLOPO these days. Sitting there sinking your buddy isn't helping beta test the game but clearly the staff doesn't care.

I don't know when the last time you logged in was, but the quiet servers are full of people trading bounty non competitively. Entire guilds do it and teach new players how to do it every day. Outside of my guild, I don't even know a single legit player who hasn't gotten a sizeable chunk of their svs rank from trading bounty. Not saying they dont exist but they are few and far between.

The competitive environment you are describing in you post is just not what is going on in TLOPO these days. Sitting there sinking your buddy isn't helping beta test the game but clearly the staff doesn't care.

That's unreasonable to say they don't care - otherwise they wouldn't be responding to this form.

Last edited:
All I can tell you is, some pretty reputable SVS/privateers during POTCO's time (a few I consider still 'close friends') viewed in my opinion the porting of bounty as more a gesture for newcomers or occasional SVS/privateers. Because those whom SVS mostly and loved to do so, bounty itself was really unimportant to them and NOT really the main purpose or goal of SVS. As such and because the SVS community then was so close-knit, those whom SVS regularly knew each other and felt the competition level alone (out on the high-seas) meant more than enough to where bounty itself was viewed as just a_perk to the thrill of out-maneuvering someone on their ship. (For many of those whom knew each other, it was really NOT accepted for someone to just 'collect' for the purpose of bounty alone. ** It was as if in doing so it was a huge SLAP to the face of the system of SVS alone).

Collecting/trading bounty for the purpose of the bounty alone might not be considered an official exploit by many but in hindsight, it really is because the bounty itself is not LEGITIMATELY earned in lieu of how it is "suppose to be" earned! ;)

Well I dont know who your friends are, but i was born in svs, I was there since the beginning. Bounty and I think you missed the STREAKS part, made me and my crew launch the other side to try and sink it, not only me of course, countless amount of people. You forget svs isnt black jack. It isn't Chess. It is a high amount of pressure and hustle, I dont even think you know what salvage is. It is Competitive. IT get people heated and going, but at the end of the day its just a game, so at the end of course, we're all friends. The Spice is what keeps it good. I wasnt saying bounty alone is what drives this game mode. The real game hasnt even begun, they need to fix svs.

I was talking about POTCO, and in my guild ALL of my members got their rank from svsing in abassa. no boasting. tbh if thats the case rank doesnt matter, you can be a total noob with an admirals badge, and not know anything bout svs

I was talking about POTCO, and in my guild ALL of my members got their rank from svsing in abassa. no boasting. tbh if thats the case rank doesnt matter, you can be a total noob with an admirals badge, and not know anything bout svs

Truthfully - I would feel that if anyone really wanted to test their skill, the would go to Abassa and enjoy what SVS there had to offer. SVS still goes on as we speak and with it the same values it had before, for people to have that competitive edge.

Good to know. I'll just stop bothering with it anymore and I mean if you don't care that people exploit svs for gold then why should I care?

Sorry my man - didn't know you edited this but the question I would ask is why do you care? You are loyal to the system and as long as you know that then it remains true for you - you put in the hard work and with that you have obtained experience in SVS that those who simply don't do the right SVS won't have, and ultimately that is just their loss right? Not only that but as I have mentioned before - what kind of outrageous broken advantage are they receiving from it when they still have to work to get the ship, the materials, the levels, and even the experience? A hit to the face with a money bag won't sink me or my ship without the rest you know?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back