SvS SVS Tactics and Bounty

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can aim as well as you'd like - but if the war ship doesn't even recognize that the light sloop is there, you get the "scatter gun" affect where your broadsides shoot randomly - or you get those fun little glitches that have your broadsides shoot in the complete opposite direction (sometimes even, through your own ship) to hit that one phantom innocently sailing by - or maybe your broadsides have a grudge on a fish that swam on by as your broadsides launch straight into the water traveling no distance at all.

Broadsides didn’t even come to my mind, no one used them in potco, I mean no one relied on them. I always sailed with people that knew how to svs. You couldn’t sneak up on wat ships like in tlopo because I’m potco the compass worked 100%. So you could tell if an enemy is behind you on the side etc. you could also see a ship from padres when you are in the Spanish island near it. There was no disappearing like there is in tlopo.

Broadsides didn’t even come to my mind, no one used them in potco, I mean no one relied on them. I always sailed with people that knew how to svs. You couldn’t sneak up on wat ships like in tlopo because I’m potco the compass worked 100%. So you could tell if an enemy is behind you on the side etc. you could also see a ship from padres when you are in the Spanish island near it. There was no disappearing like there is in tlopo.

Oh I see what you are saying - you are talking about strictly in the position of being on cannon - and not being on wheel, gotcha gotcha.

Although I do understand what you're talking about, I don't think it's nearly as hard to hit a target on cannon as it is when you are using broadsides - but this conversation (to my understanding) is strictly talking about the senario of (1) if you were sailing, and (2) if you were trying to hit a light sloop with broadsides.

I can also see potentially what you are talking about in the senario that you "have a crew" that the importance of landing a broadside begins to slightly diminish - although not completely given that if you can land a good hit with broadsides - thats always helpful.

Ok, so people like you hated light sloopers because they were hard to hit, just get better at aim and they won’t be a problem. I myself love light slooping. Me and my boys made light slooping a thing back in potco. That’s the only reason people like u don’t like the light sloops because you couldn’t hit them. Me on the other hand whenever I do gun for someone on either a light or war sloop, light sloops aren’t a threat because I hit every shot. Because people like you back in potco they made the light classes unavailable to upgrade. Which killed light sloops in potco. Making the game die even more. Light sloop are fun to use and good to test your skill. Skill is used in competitive gaming. Challenging everyone else. That’s svs.
Now I sometime admit I go light sloop because I know if I go war sloop it’s over kill. For example I once participated in a svs event back in potco. I was known as the light slooper. The rules were only war sloop. I was taunted and called by people like White Zombie saying ha no light sloops for you blah blah, i was like ok. I launched the war sloop with my crew and Annihilated All of them. Yes I won that event.

Haha! Not what I meant. I was talking broadsides. Unfortunately we as drivers of the ships have NO control over the aim of the broadsides. They will always go over the top of the light sloop. It has noting to do with us 'aiming'. Just try to get a light sloop navy or eitc that is right next to your ship in the open seas. Hard to hit with the broadsides because of how they were designed/coded to shoot.

I will admit that the cannoning skills it took to shoot at ships from a light sloop in SVS... THAT is skill because of the speed at which that light sloop would slip by the other ships.

As far as my influencing the light sloops from being upgrade-able... sorry, but that's the wrong assumption. POTCO decided that NONE of the light classes of ships were going to be allowed to be upgraded. I honestly have no idea why and truely wondered why myself. I prefer the light sloop for speedy voyages between islands and always kept one because of it. I really would have enjoyed being able to upgrade that ship somehow.

Haha! Not what I meant. I was talking broadsides. Unfortunately we as drivers of the ships have NO control over the aim of the broadsides. They will always go over the top of the light sloop. It has noting to do with us 'aiming'. Just try to get a light sloop navy or eitc that is right next to your ship in the open seas. Hard to hit with the broadsides because of how they were designed/coded to shoot.

I will admit that the cannoning skills it took to shoot at ships from a light sloop in SVS... THAT is skill because of the speed at which that light sloop would slip by the other ships.

As far as my influencing the light sloops from being upgrade-able... sorry, but that's the wrong assumption. POTCO decided that NONE of the light classes of ships were going to be allowed to be upgraded. I honestly have no idea why and truely wondered why myself. I prefer the light sloop for speedy voyages between islands and always kept one because of it. I really would have enjoyed being able to upgrade that ship somehow.

Zooming between islands was the original purpose of me making my Storm Chaser War Sloop - haha. Although later I found that it's also got some decent ability in SVS as well so that's always nice to have a ship with multiple purposes.

the speed for a light sloop and a war sloop are the same, no other ship is faster than the other. if tlopo tries to remove the light sloops like u said, its gonna kill the game like it did on potco

I haven't seen anyone say light sloops are to be, or have been removed.
Only that they cannot be upgraded.
As Lord Gold Air said, the broadsides of larger ships sail right over the light sloop without causing a scratch... probably 99% of the time. I had hoped that POTCO would close the SVS ports to light sloops, but they didn't. That is one thing I would like for TLOPO to correct when SVS is fixed, but I am biased... I hate them in SVS, so if the developers allow them, then I wont complain about it. I'll just accept it. I know there are many people who love to use the light sloop in an SVS match. - kate something, thats from your moderator friend.

Well, I dont think you have to worry
As Lord Gold Air said, the broadsides of larger ships sail right over the light sloop without causing a scratch... probably 99% of the time. I had hoped that POTCO would close the SVS ports to light sloops, but they didn't. That is one thing I would like for TLOPO to correct when SVS is fixed, but I am biased... I hate them in SVS, so if the developers allow them, then I wont complain about it. I'll just accept it. I know there are many people who love to use the light sloop in an SVS match.

Let me translate what's I put in teal bold: Not allow light sloops in SVS.

Further explanation: Keep people from launching a light sloop in the SVS match.

POTCO never did this. TLOPO most likely will not do this either. POTCO never removed the light sloop from game. TLOPO will not.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. Ty.

As Lord Gold Air said, the broadsides of larger ships sail right over the light sloop without causing a scratch... probably 99% of the time. I had hoped that POTCO would close the SVS ports to light sloops, but they didn't. That is one thing I would like for TLOPO to correct when SVS is fixed, but I am biased... I hate them in SVS, so if the developers allow them, then I wont complain about it. I'll just accept it. I know there are many people who love to use the light sloop in an SVS match. - kate something, thats from your moderator friend.

That doesn't imply that - once again as luna had stated - that they are going to (or thinking about) removing light sloops. Kate said she would "like" for it to happen - in the same sense you may "like" to win the lottery. No matter what, Kate still mentions that light sloops are apart of the game and (without the developers intervention) always will be.

Last edited:
Well, I dont think you have to worry

Let me translate what's I put in teal bold: Not allow light sloops in SVS.

Further explanation: Keep people from launching a light sloop in the SVS match.

POTCO never did this. TLOPO most likely will not do this either. POTCO never removed the light sloop from game. TLOPO will not.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. Ty.
uh you must be kidding, removing light sloops in svs is basically removing light sloops, why would we ever need light sloops while going out to loot. The point was you and others are afraid of light sloops because light sloopers are the skilled players. We can always go war sloop but thats over kill. Imagine 5 light sloop prodigies going into one single war sloop. That was us.

Adding something POTCO couldnt. is being able to Upgrade ALL lights not just the sloops all the light classes. it makes things fun and interesting. Light slooping i can still take out war ships but it takes a lot of work to do, Imagine an Upgrades lvl 6 Light sloop. They stand no chance. This game should be more than just bring back the old players. Its time to expand. I believe this game can be as popular as Fortnite. Its a one of a kind game. There is no other game like POTCO out there. team work, chases, salvage. etc

Once again @tiberias, you're missing her point. You're still required to grind 15 levels of sailing at minimum to obtain a warship, meaning you'll also have the advantage of sailing skills, higher notoriety on broadside damage, etc. There are a ton of different steps to getting a Warship, but that by no means makes the player good at SVS just by having one. A stock warship is practically useless against the norms of the community, and the gold bounty farming between players does nothing more but bump up the gold on their grind. Heck, I reckon at least 80% of the players who farm their SVS ranks via bounties with friends never play SVS Competitively.

Either way, it isn't a glitch, it isn't cheating, and it won't be isolated and tagged out by TLOPO staff if there's no reason to have it as an offense.

Fair Winds,

Misha

EDIT: If a bad player with a stock War Brig joins the enemy team and can't play worth anything, are you going to complain about free streaks? Serious question.

Wow that is some serious disconnection from reality there Misha. If an unskilled player goes out for SVS they are trying to win but failing.
that's a far cry from sitting there taking turns sinking a buddy.

If a cheater goes out to raise bounty with their cheating buddy and become svs admirals on the side, that is what im complaining about.

Its easy enough to see from the log files that its going on, especially if it got reported.
Announcing you are NOT gonna punish people for doing it is green lighting it and now as far as I am concerned this game is dead to me.

You missed the point about my challenge to Kate. All things being equal the gold does give advantage of one player over another.
I never claimed it was everything (please try to point out where I said that, since you so skillfully (not) misrepresented my previous post)

Imagine two people reach level 15 and want to buy their war ship. One cheats and gets all the money they need an the other doesn't.
they meet out in svs and the one with the warship doesn't have an advantage? (Again all other things being equal)

She came back and said that skills were more important so I challenged her to prove it, and well she chickened out.

Tlopo terms of service: (which she cleverly (not) edited out parts to make her failing point)

"Any form of cheating, exploiting, or use of third party programs is not allowed. If you find someone who may be using a third party program, report them using the in-game report feature. If you discover an exploit, let us know by emailing us at support@tlopo.com."

Cheating, exploiting or use of a third party program has the word or in it.

So cheating by itself is a violation of the terms of service. Exploiting by itself is too. Or means that any of these things is a violation.

Now if the language says "and" instead of "or" then only cheating and exploiting while using a third party program would be a violation of the terms of service. Since it says "or" instead of "and" then any form of cheating is a violation of the terms of service.

Here is a link to a post where John Foulroberts says "TLOPO staff considers trading bounty to be an exploit"

The intent of placing a cap on the bounty payout was done with the intent to deter players from abusing the "bounty swapping" technique.

For those unaware, you essentially launch a ship with a friend and sink each other back and forth, gaining both gold and Infamy points ad nauseam. By doing this, players were able to max out their gold very quickly. This was an exploit back in POTCO as well, though the team at TLOPO has decided to implement a measure to correct this behavior.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Either they have changed their minds or Kate may be out of a job (I hope).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is some serious disconnection from reality there Misha. If an unskilled player goes out for SVS they are trying to win but failing.

If a cheater goes out to raise bounty with their cheating buddy and become svs admirals on the side, that is what im complaining about.

Its easy enough to see from the log files that its going on, especially if it got reported.
Announcing you are NOT gonna punish people for doing it is green lighting it and now as far as I am concerned this game is dead to me.

You missed the point about my challenge to Kate. All things being equal the gold does give advantage of one player over another.
I never claimed it was everything (please try to point out where I said that, since you so skillfully (not) misrepresented my previous post)

Imagine two people reach level 15 and want to buy their war ship. One cheats and gets all the money they need an the other doesn't.
they meet out in svs and the one with the warship doesn't have an advantage? (Again all other things being equal)

She came back and said that skills were more important so I challenged her to prove it, and well she chickened out.

Tlopo terms of service: (which she cleverly (not) edited out parts to make her failing point)

"Any form of cheating, exploiting, or use of third party programs is not allowed. If you find someone who may be using a third party program, report them using the in-game report feature. If you discover an exploit, let us know by emailing us at support@tlopo.com."

So cheating by itself is a violation of the terms of service. Exploiting by itself is too. Or means that any of these things is a violation.

Now if the language says "and" instead of "or" then only cheating and exploiting while using a third party program would be a violation of the terms of service. Since it says "or" instead of "and" then any form of cheating is a violation of the terms of service.

Here is a link to a post where John Foulroberts says "TLOPO staff considers trading bounty to be an exploit"

I really regret responding to this thread again but the last sentence needs some attention.

First, we don’t consider bounty swapping to be a bannable offense, we once did but no longer do. We should’ve made an official statement clarifying that. I get that you’re frustrated Tiberius but calling for Kate’s firing is pretty low, she’s a phenomenal moderator. Even if it was a mistake that would be excessive for you to say, I’d suggest just letting this thread go as the question has been answered multiple times.

If it makes you feel any better, our hope is to find a way to eventually prevent bounty swapping without banning players for it. Anyways, just try to be nice, Kate was trying to help explain our attitude towards bounty swapping.

Ignorance in not taking the time to fully understand these messages will not help your argument Tiberias. "If an unskilled player goes out for SVS they are trying to win but failing. that's a far cry from sitting there taking turns sinking a buddy." - we have already established that this is not the case - both an "unskilled player" and an individual that is max level for SVS rank with a nice ship from "bounty swapping" are the EXACT same thing - both are considered "unskilled players" and regardless of the event - they will still get sunk without the proper skill almost every time. "If a cheater goes out to raise bounty with their cheating buddy and become svs admirals on the side, that is what im complaining about." We have already established that SVS rank = NOTHING, let me go ahead and try smacking you with my ADMIRAL title - see how much damage that does to your ship? "She came back and said that skills were more important so I challenged her to prove it, and well she chickened out." - this is the first time in this fourm that I am going to lay down my experience in SVS against you (Tiberias) - and come out and say that "running away" is not a skill. Many times have I had the opportunity to come into combat against you - and although I have no issue with you personally - I have the experience and background necessary to say that YOU have no right to talk about skill - because in your time that you have fought against me alone in SVS - you have either lost or ran away (porting at any random island nearby) over a majority of those times. Even I, myself would say that I'm not necessarily good at SVS either - but I manage to be able to get the job done when it is needed - there is no saying what someone else with more experience than myself would be able to accomplish against you.

"Any form of cheating, exploiting, or use of third party programs is not allowed. If you find someone who may be using a third party program, report them using the in-game report feature. If you discover an exploit, let us know by emailing us at support@tlopo.com." - We have already established that the "bounty trading" is not cheating, exploiting, or use of a third party program - but may be infact a "deviant" behavior among the SVS community. "Now if the language says "and" instead of "or" then only cheating and exploiting while using a third party program would be a violation of the terms of service. Since it says "or" instead of "and" then any form of cheating is a violation of the terms of service." - If you are willing to dig so far as to decipher every word placed into the terms of service then you my friend, are finding out right about now that your argument is becoming meaningless, and you are trying to grasp at straws.

"Either they have changed their minds or Kate may be out of a job (I hope)." - As stated above by Stephen Teague, "we don’t consider bounty swapping to be a bannable offense, we once did but no longer do. We should’ve made an official statement clarifying that." is all fair and complete in itself on how the collective group of developers have decided to identify this issue - the same issue that we have already gone over and discussed. Lastly - might I add again to consider and identify the people that you are talking to in regards to my comment earlier. "I would also suggest you invest in finding some manners and respect for these individuals you are talking to - given that they are the ones who gave up their time to bring this game back to us - the game you are still playing - as well as the game you care about so much, to go out of your way to continue writing your responses about it in these forums".

Last edited:
The assumptions, snide remarks, and judgement tendencies coming forth here as a result of the way this thread has peaked...really has provided me yet another reason as to why I won't play a POTCO remake.

If I was SVS/privateering right now, I would sail for the Dutch!

The assumptions, snide remarks, and judgement tendencies coming forth here as a result of the way this thread has peaked...really has provided me yet another reason as to why I won't play any POTCO remake.

If I was SVS/privateering right now, I would sail for the Dutch!

I do have to apologize on my part - I would like to believe that my last response had remained civil - while at the exact same time sending out a slightly more stern and direct message since the last one had seem to have been ignored. While I have no problems with Tiberias as I had said before - I don't think anyone should have to receive the disrespect that he was (had been) giving to Kate - while at the same time explaining that disrespect wont aid his case + that is can be done with respect as well - and still get his point across.

I also would like to believe that my response made it clear that people should still respect the views of others - reguardless if they are not their own - that people may be aware of faults in their viewpoints just as all the rest of us - especially myself, in which caused me to engage in this fourm, to understand others view points, and accept them and understand them to grow my own understanding - rather than shutting them down and ignoring them.

Last edited:
"Yep, they did some bounty trading" I am not saying it is impossible - like if you know the player had for a fact participated in it - but it's still very hard to tell, showing that the advantage is virtually nonexistent. Players who go the "legit" route (in most cases) have the same ships as those who take the "deviant" route (this would be making the PVP example Broadsword Vs. Broadsword) "-
I'm sorry, This makes absolutely no sense. Didn't you read what Tiberias wrote? I don't bounty, so I sail around in a weaker ship for weeks, you bounty and have a top expensive ship in hours. In the meantime you are sinking me and others relentlessly. How is the world is this not an advantage? Jeez.

I'm sorry, This makes absolutely no sense. Didn't you read what Tiberias wrote? I don't bounty, so I sail around in a weaker ship for weeks, you bounty and have a top expensive ship in hours. In the meantime you are sinking me and others relentlessly. How is the world is this not an advantage? Jeez.

I am having a hard time understanding what you are meaning - I personally didn't obtain my ships through "bounty trading" I also had obtained my ships the "legit" way and still saw that there was no harm even on my end because I knew that ultimately - no matter what my opponent had - it would be up to me to use whatever skill I had to overcome it.

In the comment that you quoted of mine - I was simply explaining that in SVS you have a much harder time - just by looking at a ship alone - telling if they did gold glitch or not to obtain the ship you are looking at. unless, as I will say again - you either know the person + know that they did bounty trading to obtain the ship. Where as in PVP, you can tell automatically that they are using a broadsword just by the way that the character swings the weapon. You've also neglected to mention the fact that it takes more than gold to - once again - get the expensive ship (which requires levels) and the materials to upgrade it (which I don't know about you - but that takes more than just a few hours for me - more like several days).

My guild members, even some outside of my guild would ask me the question "what is the quickest way to get gold" - where bounty trading would be the answer I would give them - only because it is factually true. I would help them out if needed in order to obtain the gold - and whatever they did with it after was up to them. If they decided to go and fork out a giant ship out of nowhere - and somehow managed to upgrade it in a manner of hours (in which then I might be concerned and be questionable) - I wouldn't be mad at all, I would probably be glad, for that would give me a challenge and from what I understand that is what individuals in SVS go to do SVS for - to be challenged - and they enjoy it.

Last edited:

Reading through this whole debate and not going to get involved beyond this as the thread seems to be imploding anyways, it's clear you said broadsides didn't come to mind. Why, because you knew back then that sloops were not getting hit with broadsides like they should and were beyond invincible in those ways and it's totally worse in tlopo which you know as well? So, you and your bois always went deck cannons against other sloops because you knew it was impossible with broadsides? So when you annihilated them was it because you went to deck cannons and they tried broadsides which you knew would fail? It's not always what people say that tells the story.
And that's my piece as an outside observer reading about techniques that worked because other game issues didn't work. Like sloops not taking broadside damage. So one learns how to take advantage. Which in itself isn't really a major issue.
Somehow succeeding using a glitch doesn't seem to have that bragging weight. Kind of like hitting a salmon caught in the shallows with a log and saying you caught him fishing.
Sorry if that sounds crass, but that's how it hits me.

Last edited:
I am having a hard time understanding what you are meaning - I personally didn't obtain my ships through "bounty trading" I also had obtained my ships the "legit" way and still saw that there was no harm even on my end because I knew that ultimately - no matter what my opponent had - it would be up to me to use whatever skill I had to overcome it.

In the comment that you quoted of mine - I was simply explaining that in SVS you have a much harder time - just by looking at a ship alone - telling if they did gold glitch or not to obtain the ship you are looking at. unless, as I will say again - you either know the person + know that they did bounty trading to obtain the ship. Where as in PVP, you can tell automatically that they are using a broadsword just by the way that the character swings the weapon. You've also neglected to mention the fact that it takes more than gold to - once again - get the expensive ship (which requires levels) and the materials to upgrade it (which I don't know about you - but that takes more than just a few hours for me - more like several days).

My guild members, even some outside of my guild would ask me the question "what is the quickest way to get gold" - where bounty trading would be the answer I would give them - only because it is factually true. I would help them out if needed in order to obtain the gold - and whatever they did with it after was up to them. If they decided to go and fork out a giant ship out of nowhere - and somehow managed to upgrade it in a manner of hours (in which then I might be concerned and be questionable) - I wouldn't be mad at all, I would probably be glad, for that would give me a challenge and from what I understand that is what individuals in SVS go to do SVS for - to be challenged - and they enjoy it.
That makes two of us. I'm not even going to try. When advantage type players always try to justify short cuts, glitches and other get rep'd quick schemes, I can never understand the logic.
Appreciate you trying, but I'm out because I don't know a thing about svs and was commenting on the ways to get advantages that aren't just specific to svs, but to game mechanics. It's like arguing about multi accounts and using 5 alts at a time. I'm not going there any more.
GL and have fun.

That makes two of us. I'm not even going to try. When advantage type players always try to justify short cuts, glitches and other get rep'd quick schemes, I can never understand the logic.
Appreciate you trying, but I'm out because I don't know a thing about svs and was commenting on the ways to get advantages that aren't just specific to svs, but to game mechanics. It's like arguing about multi accounts and using 5 alts at a time. I'm not going there any more.
GL and have fun.

Yeah my man, no worries! It's just a matter in the fact that some people would consider this to be one of those "Work Smarter, Not Harder" mentalities Vs. others that support "This is the respectable way, Should be the only way" kind of mentalities.

The first side seeks to find the quickest and most efficient route in obtaining the gold, and sacrifice the experience they could be gaining in SVS by doing it the "legit" way - but finding it a ton less time consuming (in which they will still need to deal with the time taken to level up and get materials to get anything good + as well as time to obtain SVS experience if they want to stop getting sunk).

The second side is working hard to obtain their gold the "legit" way, and sacrifice the opportunity to do it a faster way, and still have the added addition - of course - of what they will have to go through to level up and gain materials as well, But obtaining that SVS experience ahead of time is the payoff for them (like the time that players doing "bounty trading" would be able to save and get the gold, would be their payoff).

Those doing it the "legit" way will already be able to jump the gun and start sinking away other players in SVS once they get their ships in the longer run (or rather with the skill they obtain - they might not even need a good ship to sink those who do - in which introduced the light sloop argument) in comparison to the other individuals who still have to figure out all the tips and tricks to get good SVS results - the tips and tricks the guys with experience already know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back