SvS SVS Tactics and Bounty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I dont know who your friends are, but i was born in svs, I was there since the beginning. Bounty and I think you missed the STREAKS part, made me and my crew launch the other side to try and sink it, not only me of course, countless amount of people. You forget svs isnt black jack. It isn't Chess. It is a high amount of pressure and hustle, I dont even think you know what salvage is. It is Competitive. IT get people heated and going, but at the end of the day its just a game, so at the end of course, we're all friends. The Spice is what keeps it good. I wasnt saying bounty alone is what drives this game mode. The real game hasnt even begun, they need to fix svs.
  1. Whom were you during POTCO's SVS?
  2. @LEO, @Bettie Heartsmythe, @Rannulf, @Nella and others were my friends
  3. You don't need to explain what SVS is - to me
  4. You don't know me. Therefore, you shouldn't assume what I may or may not know
  5. If TLOPO's Andaba server is anything like POTCO's, if you're SVS/privateering on the Abassa server instead...therein probably lies the difference between you and I (my friend)

Sorry my man - didn't know you edited this but the question I would ask is why do you care? You are loyal to the system and as long as you know that then it remains true for you - you put in the hard work and with that you have obtained experience in SVS that those who simply don't do the right SVS won't have, and ultimately that is just their loss right? Not only that but as I have mentioned before - what kind of outrageous broken advantage are they receiving from it when they still have to work to get the ship, the materials, the levels, and even the experience? A hit to the face with a money back won't sink me or my ship without the rest you know?
You make a solid argument. I respect that. But since when do people with passion towards the interest of something turn blindly the other cheek when "they know" fairness itself is at stake? SVS/privateering is_not alone in this regard. The same goes for those players highly passionate about PVP. (Just try to engage in a PVP bout by refusing to use 'certain' weapons. You won't make many PVP friends if you refuse to conform in a certain way).

Like PVP, SVS/privateering invokes passion. Therefore, a certain amount of fairness and expectation is what drives that underlying passion. Bounty trading, while not a big deal to the average pirate whom revers a small amount of respect to SVS competition ends up becoming a great big deal to those whom are overly passionate about SVS. Therefore, bounty trading will always remain a polarized issue unless the option to prevent it from happening is taken away. *Not saying this is the solution but...I really don't want to hear any complaining if someone is ticked that their ship was sunk in SVS all because they were purposefully bounty trading! If the option for bounty trading alone won't be eliminated, all is fair game then for EVERYONE INVOLVED...and not just a few. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@tiberias, POTCO never banned people for that back then either, cause it isn't a way of cheating.

And, it isn't a bug either so this would not apply:

74337f1bcbfa9e38f6b89ffda0f23b52.png

Technically, the exploit option in the report feature in the game is too broad of a word. We can nitpick back and forth about how technically you're correct that it is exploiting a system that was designed by POTCO... taking advantage of a way to gain gold in game. But that is just how the game was designed for svs and poker. The exploit option in the report feature is suppose to be to report people who are cheating, ie using 3rd party program or as you see in the image above the explanation of taking advantage of a bug in the game to cheat over other players.

If you think about it, when transferring gold in poker or even in svs from the bounty, well that is just something that naturally happens with each hand or each time you sail in svs whether it's to get max gold faster or not. AND it's not gaining any advantage over any other player in game.

Getting tons of gold without working at all for it and not requiring any skill to get it allows someone to afford the most expensive ships and upgrades quickly. You are telling me that this offers them no advantage over another player who doesn't cheat?

Do you actually play the game?
Having a better ship is a big advantage in svs and it's an advantage over other players who don't cheat. If you can't see it, I don't know what to say except that you've turned someone who was a fan into someone who is disgusted with the tlopo crew.

You make a solid argument. I respect that. But since when do people with passion towards the interest of something turn blindly the other cheek when "they know" fairness itself is at stake? SVS/privateering is_not alone in this regard. The same goes for those players highly passionate about PVP. (Just try to engage in a PVP bout by refusing to use 'certain' weapons. You won't make many PVP friends if you refuse to conform in a certain way).

Like PVP, SVS/privateering invokes passion. Therefore, a certain amount of fairness and expectation is what drives that underlying passion. Bounty trading, while not a big deal to the average pirate whom revers a small amount of respect to SVS competition ends up becoming a great big deal to those whom are overly passionate about SVS. Therefore, bounty trading will always remain a polarized issue unless the option to prevent it from happening is taken away. *Not saying this is the solution but...I really don't want to hear any complaining if someone is ticked that their ship was sunk in SVS all because they were purposefully bounty trading! If the option for bounty trading alone won't be eliminated, all is fair game then for EVERYONE INVOLVED...and not just a few. ;)

Absolutely, I do have to agree with this overall. SVS does invoke passion in many players because while most things in the game can be found by some to be simple, SVS requires that players use their heads in a strategical sense to gain the upper hand. This drives that competition that our SVS players love so much and that is without question the truth.

One thing that stands out to me in your comment is when you proposed the question, "But since when do people with passion towards the interest of something turn blindly the other cheek when "they know" fairness itself is at stake?". Honestly, a brilliant question, one that I had to take some time to think and form a response. Essentially the act of bounty trading is a "deviant" behavior / practice - alike with the PVP community if you were to use anything other than a cutlass. Between PVP and SVS however, both systems show the use of these "deviant" practices differently.

In PVP - if you are using a broadsword against a cutlass, you are not only bound to the weapon on your weapons bar, but you are *actually using* the weapon in combat which automatically shows it's advantage, and the other player notices it immediately, this "somewhat" changes with SVS. In SVS, we are not looking at the ship itself as being "deviant" (like we would in the sword example for PVP) we are looking at *how* they obtained the ship behind the scene in which is considered the "deviant" practice. Unlike in PVP - Ships are able to be changed around, and are not bound like weapons in PVP, and not only that - but its difficult to go and look at a ship in SVS and say "Yep, they did some bounty trading" I am not saying it is impossible - like if you know the player had for a fact participated in it - but it's still very hard to tell, showing that the advantage is virtually nonexistent. Players who go the "legit" route (in most cases) have the same ships as those who take the "deviant" route (this would be making the PVP example Broadsword Vs. Broadsword) - and I personally would also bet that with the skill obtained by the individuals that go the "legit" route - will still more often than not, sink the individuals that go the "deviant" route.

This flows into the next topic I had wanted to give a shot at, in the comment in which you stated, "Therefore, bounty trading will always remain a polarized issue unless the option to prevent it from happening is taken away." In which I would say - if it really did come down to a need to "take it away" all I would be able to say is "Aye-Aye Capt." - you guys made the game, and you guys make the rules, we should all be grateful enough that you guys had taken the time to bring the game back to us in the first place - regardless of what issues may follow. Lastly - the comment, "I really don't want to hear any complaining if someone is ticked that their ship was sunk in SVS all because they were purposefully bounty trading!" - I would also agree to this - for everyone that talks about going to do bounty trading, I usually tell them to expect for their ship to get sunk and to plan ahead if they want to - since that is the possible outcome they would end up facing when doing bounty trading.

I apologize in advance for writing so much - but this is generally a topic that interests me, as well as gives me the opportunity to throw my thoughts out there so that you guys can throw a different perspective at me that I had not thought of before! Thanks Again!

1. Whom were you during POTCO's SVS?
  2. @LEO, @Bettie Heartsmythe, @Rannulf, @Nella and others were my friends
  3. You don't need to explain what SVS is - to me
  4. You don't know me. Therefore, you shouldn't assume what I may or may not know
  5. If TLOPO's Andaba server is anything like POTCO's, if you're SVS/privateering on the Abassa server instead...therein probably lies the difference between you and I (my friend)
1. I was known as William in POTCO. Just William. Dark Water Shark owner and back then a Guild. I was there when there were only 2 svs Guilds. Black Shark and White Shark. Then I made Dark Water Shark as a guild. After that I left the game and cAme back to new Guilds which u might of heard of. The Hero, Meltdown, The Scurvy, Team Svs ETC. My William account got term banned then I made Dark Legend, as I’m known now. All your friends, I came before them. the way you speak about svs is as if you just hear it from them not from your own experience.

Getting tons of gold without working at all for it and not requiring any skill to get it allows someone to afford the most expensive ships and upgrades quickly. You are telling me that this offers them no advantage over another player who doesn't cheat?

Having a better ship is a big advantage in svs and it's an advantage over other players who don't cheat. If you can't see it, I don't know what to say except that you've turned someone who was a fan into someone who is disgusted with the tlopo crew.

People do have to work to even make use of the gold they have - by ensuring that their sailing level is high enough to even buy the ship - and by ensuring that they have the materials to level up their ship (which even from my experience alone with getting materials can take quite awhile). Although it's true it would take longer for someone who is obtaining gold the correct way - in the end they both still get to the same place.

I would also suggest you invest in finding some manners and respect for these individuals you are talking to - given that they are the ones who gave up their time to bring this game back to us - the game you are still playing - as well as the game you care about so much, to go out of your way to continue writing your responses about it in these forums.

Last edited:
@Lord Gold Air - I do appreciate your post. Thank you for taking the time to reflect and also, for understanding where others and myself are coming from. ;)
...the way you speak about svs is as if you just hear it from them not from your own experience.
If I tell you I used to SVS (a lot) and that too I loved it, it is not up to me to convince your mind any differently. Good day, my friend.

@Lord Gold Air - I do appreciate your post. Thank you for taking the time to reflect and also, for understanding where others and myself are coming from. ;)

If I tell you I used to SVS (a lot) and that too I loved it, it is not up to me to convince your mind any differently. Good day, my friend.
I dont care if you Svsed a lot back in Potco or whatever, the point was about that whole bounty rule to not port it that your POTCO friends say, they dont know what they're talking about. That didnt drive me or non of my friend out there. Svs is competitive and it get heated, why? because of that bounty not being ported? no. It had a lot to do with Streaks, Peoples rep, Challengers, etc. It was sink and port the bounty. It was a thing.

I dont care if you Svsed a lot back in Potco or whatever, the point was about that whole bounty rule to not port it that your POTCO friends say, they dont know what they're talking about. That didnt drive me or non of my friend out there. Svs is competitive and it get heated, why? because of that bounty not being ported? no. It had a lot to do with Streaks, Peoples rep, Challengers, etc. It was sink and port the bounty. It was a thing.
Do you remember Adhy Roman or Enrique Sailbones?

Do you remember Adhy Roman or Enrique Sailbones?
no, i was 12 years old so i wasnt very social, I didnt try to get to know everyone that svsed. If you mention their ship name i prob would know, or their guild, some Guilds came back from potco to tlopo if you didnt know.

I'm sorry, Shamus, but I'm going to disagree with you here. You know that I was a huge SVSer back in POTCO days. Learned my skills from Leo. Attended many SVS events. Made a video about an SVS Legend after he passed away. I was not one of those SVSers who cared about the bounty. I only cared about the game itself. The skill level it took to sail in a mess of ships and fight among ourselves. The thrill of being on the best ship of the game, the thrill of the sink, the thrill of a streak. I didn't give two hoots about the bounty! And there were many of the SVSers who put that very last on their list of why they played SVS.

Yes, I play the game. I played POTCO from Feb 2008 till it closed. I actually, a grown woman who played the game with her two sons at that time, cried when they announced the closing even though I knew it would come.

Read above my reply to Shamus. Also, it takes a heck of a lot more than just gold to get a better upgraded ship. You have to work your but off to level to even get the ability to buy a war ship. You have to work your but off to get the materials needed for the ship upgrade you desire. Gold maxes faster in game than materials do, always was that way in POTCO as well.

My point if that your reporting would be a lot more useful to beta testing and the TLOPO staff by reporting bugs and people who are cheating the whole game by using 3rd party programs, hacks, cheat engines... even people who are behaving poorly in game, filter evading, inappropriate comments... than worrying about something that is the least of our concerns atm. SVS does need to be fixed and fixed badly, but atm there are other things that take priority over SVS problems.

But besides that... having the largest, fastest or prettiest ship in SVS means nothing if you do not have the skills to play it anyway.

I'm sorry, Shamus, but I'm going to disagree with you here. You know that I was a huge SVSer back in POTCO days. Learned my skills from Leo. Attended many SVS events. Made a video about an SVS Legend after he passed away. I was not one of those SVSers who cared about the bounty. I only cared about the game itself. The skill level it took to sail in a mess of ships and fight among ourselves. The thrill of being on the best ship of the game, the thrill of the sink, the thrill of a streak. I didn't give two hoots about the bounty! And there were many of the SVSers who put that very last on their list of why they played SVS.

Yes, I play the game. I played POTCO from Feb 2008 till it closed. I actually, a grown woman who played the game with her two sons at that time, cried when they announced the closing even though I knew it would come.

Read above my reply to Shamus. Also, it takes a heck of a lot more than just gold to get a better upgraded ship. You have to work your but off to level to even get the ability to buy a war ship. You have to work your but off to get the materials needed for the ship upgrade you desire. Gold maxes faster in game than materials do, always was that way in POTCO as well.

My point if that your reporting would be a lot more useful to beta testing and the TLOPO staff by reporting bugs and people who are cheating the whole game by using 3rd party programs, hacks, cheat engines... even people who are behaving poorly in game, filter evading, inappropriate comments... than worrying about something that is the least of our concerns atm. SVS does need to be fixed and fixed badly, but atm there are other things that take priority over SVS problems.

But besides that... having the largest, fastest or prettiest ship in SVS means nothing if you do not have the skills to play it anyway.

Amen - well said.

Amen.

[QUOTE="Kate Goldwalker, post:

But besides that... having the largest, fastest or prettiest ship in SVS means nothing if you do not have the skills to play it anyway.[/QUOTE]

So you should come out solo on a light class ship. I'll launch in a non upgraded warship ( only difference is price between the ships) and we can have it out in svs. No crew, just skill against skill. Will record the battle and post it to see if your position holds water.

[QUOTE="Kate Goldwalker, post: 366857, ]

Read above my reply to Shamus. Also, it takes a heck of a lot more than just gold to get a better upgraded ship. You have to work your but off to level to even get the ability to buy a war ship. You have

So you should come out solo on a light class ship. I'll launch in a non upgraded warship ( only difference is price between the ships) and we can have it out in svs. No crew, just skill against skill. Will record the battle and post it to see if your position holds water.[/QUOTE]

Once again @tiberias, you're missing her point. You're still required to grind 15 levels of sailing at minimum to obtain a warship, meaning you'll also have the advantage of sailing skills, higher notoriety on broadside damage, etc. There are a ton of different steps to getting a Warship, but that by no means makes the player good at SVS just by having one. A stock warship is practically useless against the norms of the community, and the gold bounty farming between players does nothing more but bump up the gold on their grind. Heck, I reckon at least 80% of the players who farm their SVS ranks via bounties with friends never play SVS Competitively.

Either way, it isn't a glitch, it isn't cheating, and it won't be isolated and tagged out by TLOPO staff if there's no reason to have it as an offense.

Fair Winds,

Misha

EDIT: If a bad player with a stock War Brig joins the enemy team and can't play worth anything, are you going to complain about free streaks? Serious question.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Kate Goldwalker, post:

Who ever said you couldn't come out on a light sloop - pop a few explosive shots (requiring you to switch from sailing to cannon) and sink them that way? We've all seen light sloops take out war ships EASY. Matter of fact when I see a light sloop I try and stay distant because my broadsides go right over its sails! I could even say in some events I find a light sloop more of a threat than some war ships!

If we are talking about standard broadsides alone then yeah it might be hard - but it can still be done if your skilled enough - and let alone you can even do it solo.

Last edited:

Where did I ever say I was concerned about bounty? I mentioned bounty trading (in the context of ppl being against it). If bounty trading is what you mean, sure perhaps it never did bother you. But I do know for a fact that other major SVS/privateers looked down upon the practice. I just happen to be part of "that" crowd (anti-bounty trading, I mean).

Once again @tiberias, you're missing her point. You're still required to grind 15 levels of sailing at minimum to obtain a warship, meaning you'll also have the advantage of sailing skills, higher notoriety on broadside damage, etc. There are a ton of different steps to getting a Warship, but that by no means makes the player good at SVS just by having one. A stock warship is practically useless against the norms of the community, and the gold bounty farming between players does nothing more but bump up the gold on their grind. Heck, I reckon at least 80% of the players who farm their SVS ranks via bounties with friends never play SVS Competitively.

Misha understands my point.

Since you bring up the light sloops in SVS, that's honestly one of the most annoying things in SVS. Light sloops flying around like annoying mosquitoes in the battle field. Swing by, broadside and 1 crew using some infinite ram with either lightning or fury ammo. It's almost like trying to catch a fly with chopsticks.

giphy.gif

As Lord Gold Air said, the broadsides of larger ships sail right over the light sloop without causing a scratch... probably 99% of the time. I had hoped that POTCO would close the SVS ports to light sloops, but they didn't. That is one thing I would like for TLOPO to correct when SVS is fixed, but I am biased... I hate them in SVS, so if the developers allow them, then I wont complain about it. I'll just accept it. I know there are many people who love to use the light sloop in an SVS match.

Where did I ever say I was concerned about bounty? I mentioned bounty trading (in the context of ppl being against it). If bounty trading is what you mean, sure perhaps it never did bother you. But I do know for a fact that other major SVS/privateers looked down upon the practice. I just happen to be part of "that" crowd (anti-bounty trading, I mean).

You misread what I said. I was saying that I didn't care the SVS offered a bounty as a reward at all. Some other SVSers didn't care about that either. And that was the last thing most of them were concerned with gaining in SVS. Most SVSers cared about the thrill of the match, streaks, sinking other ships. The last thing on their list of things wanted or wanting to gain in SVS was the bounty. But, I know that wasn't all of them. There were many who did play for the bounty as well as the prestige. I on the other hand only cared about the prestige.

Honestly it was no skin off my noes if anyone was bounty swapping in POTCO. If they did it on a quiet server, fine. If they did it on the SVS server then they did so at their own risk because the people who were there to play the game, played it well.

Last edited:
Misha understands my point.

Since you bring up the light sloops in SVS, that's honestly one of the most annoying things in SVS. Light sloops flying around like annoying mosquitoes in the battle field. Swing by, broadside and 1 crew using some infinite ram with either lightning or fury ammo. It's almost like trying to catch a fly with chopsticks.

giphy.gif

As Lord Gold Air said, the broadsides of larger ships sail right over the light sloop without causing a scratch... probably 99% of the time. I had hoped that POTCO would close the SVS ports to light sloops, but they didn't. That is one thing I would like for TLOPO to correct when SVS is fixed, but I am biased... I hate them in SVS, so if the developers allow them, then I wont complain about it. I'll just accept it. I know there are many people who love to use the light sloop in an SVS match.

You misread what I said. I was saying that I didn't care the SVS offered a bounty as a reward at all. Some other SVSers didn't care about that either. And that was the last thing most of them were concerned with gaining in SVS. Most SVSers cared about the thrill of the match, streaks, sinking other ships. The last thing on their list of things wanted or wanting to gain in SVS was the bounty. But, I know that wasn't all of them. There were many who did play for the bounty as well as the prestige. I on the other hand only cared about the prestige.

Honestly it was no skin off my noes if anyone was bounty swapping in POTCO. If they did it on a quiet server, fine. If they did it on the SVS server then they did so at their own risk because the people who were there to play the game, played it well.

Ok, so people like you hated light sloopers because they were hard to hit, just get better at aim and they won’t be a problem. I myself love light slooping. Me and my boys made light slooping a thing back in potco. That’s the only reason people like u don’t like the light sloops because you couldn’t hit them. Me on the other hand whenever I do gun for someone on either a light or war sloop, light sloops aren’t a threat because I hit every shot. Because people like you back in potco they made the light classes unavailable to upgrade. Which killed light sloops in potco. Making the game die even more. Light sloop are fun to use and good to test your skill. Skill is used in competitive gaming. Challenging everyone else. That’s svs.
Now I sometime admit I go light sloop because I know if I go war sloop it’s over kill. For example I once participated in a svs event back in potco. I was known as the light slooper. The rules were only war sloop. I was taunted and called by people like White Zombie saying ha no light sloops for you blah blah, i was like ok. I launched the war sloop with my crew and Annihilated All of them. Yes I won that event.

Ok, so people like you hated light sloopers because they were hard to hit, just get better at aim and they won’t be a problem. I myself love light slooping. Me and my boys made light slooping a thing back in potco. That’s the only reason people like u don’t like the light sloops because you couldn’t hit them. Me on the other hand whenever I do gun for someone on either a light or war sloop, light sloops aren’t a threat because I hit every shot. Because people like you back in potco they made the light classes unavailable to upgrade. Which killed light sloops in potco. Making the game die even more. Light sloop are fun to use and good to test your skill. Skill is used in competitive gaming. Challenging everyone else. That’s svs.
Now I sometime admit I go light sloop because I know if I go war sloop it’s over kill. For example I once participated in a svs event back in potco. I was known as the light slooper. The rules were only war sloop. I was taunted and called by people like White Zombie saying ha no light sloops for you blah blah, i was like ok. I launched the war sloop with my crew and Annihilated All of them. Yes I won that event.

You can aim as well as you'd like - but if the war ship doesn't even recognize that the light sloop is there, you get the "scatter gun" affect where your broadsides shoot randomly - or you get those fun little glitches that have your broadsides shoot in the complete opposite direction (sometimes even, through your own ship) to hit that one phantom innocently sailing by - or maybe your broadsides have a grudge on a fish that swam on by as your broadsides launch straight into the water traveling no distance at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back