Suggestion SvS

Morzan

Pirate Apprentice
In POTCO SvS, there was no bounty cap. In TLOPO, you cannot even reach over 1000. Someone recently told me this was to avoid a "gold exploit" where players would take turns sinking each other.

Here's the thing. High amounts of bounty is what gave people an incentive to launch their ships and fight enemy players to begin with---a promise of receiving a high bounty. Taking that away and diminishing the SvS experience is unfair imo, especially since this "gold exploit" is merely gold swapping and as anyone could do it, it hardly gave an advantage over any other player.

I don't intend to disrespect any of the staff or anything, this is just my opinion. Let's have an objective conversation about this.

While the gold exploiting was a problem, limiting bounties to 1000 gold is too severe. The bounty cap should remain, but be increased.

While the gold exploiting was a problem, limiting bounties to 1000 gold is too severe. The bounty cap should remain, but be increased.

I feel like capping it so low just because they don't want some people to get gold fast is entirely unfair to the good players that DO gain high bounty without swapping.

I feel like capping it so low just because they don't want some people to get gold fast is entirely unfair to the good players that DO gain high bounty without swapping.
It's not about people earning gold too fast, it's about people exploiting gold too fast.

If you got lots of gold from SvS by doing it properly, that's great! But when you get a friend to sit there and you rack up bounties on each other on purpose just to make money, that's a different story.

It's not about people earning gold too fast, it's about people exploiting gold too fast.

If you got lots of gold from SvS by doing it properly, that's great! But when you get a friend to sit there and you rack up bounties on each other on purpose just to make money, that's a different story.

Is this really such a big issue enough that it warrants making svs less enjoyable? Is it disruptive? Does it get in the way of other players' gameplay? No, it doesn't.

This bounty cap may inhibit bounty swapping, but it also inhibits the players that can and do gain high bounties normally. I don't see how that's fair.

Is this really such a big issue enough that it warrants making svs less enjoyable? Is it disruptive? Does it get in the way of other players' gameplay? No, it doesn't.

This bounty cap may inhibit bounty swapping, but it also inhibits the players that can and do gain high bounties normally. I don't see how that's fair.
It sucks, I know it does, and I really really wish it weren't the case.

But it's a pretty major exploit, and evidently players were utilizing it to the point that the devs had to step in. It's basically unlimited easy gold, so it's a pretty severe exploit.

Also cannonballs cost money. Though I always thought they should be free and auto-restocking when you sink in SvS.

Same applies to dagger ammo and grenades though.

I really agree with Jeremiah's post. The original SvS hierachy system made way more sense.
Totally agree. @Jeremiah Hookwalker had a very good point that increasing bounty gave people incentive to go after the more difficult ships / players with higher scores. A shame there's currently not a way for devs to reduce the allure of so-called "bounty-swap" exploiting. As much as I hate to say it, this was an issue, given by the fact I saw people at rank 5 SvS just a day after the ranks were reintroduced... their method? Another game client window and an afk alt. Gold for both, and a rank to brag about.

I'd love to see the bounty cap raised again, to 5000, if not 2500. 1000 is far too little. In the meantime, I'll just be sailing around on mat runs, whistling away to little pirate ditties...

At the end of the day, SvS is not really the main way to get gold in the game - that'd be looting or sailing. The gold was limited to prevent exploiting infinite gold easily, which would defeat the whole purpose of earning your gold. Before the cap, you could max your gold out in maybe 30 minutes tops - which is ridiculous and totally against the point of the game.

The cap may get adjusted if there's an apparent need for it, but for now 1,000 seems to be working just fine. It allows you just enough to keep your ammo topped off with a bit extra for your pocket, but not enough to overshadow the main gold generating methods.

I really agree with Jeremiah's post. The original SvS hierachy system made way more sense.

Jeremiah is describing a bug from the sounds of it, as the bounty should still be resetting on death. If it's not working as intended, please submit a bug report about it. Thank you.

At the end of the day, SvS is not really the main way to get gold in the game...
The cap may get adjusted if there's an apparent need for it, but for now 1,000 seems to be working just fine. It allows you just enough to keep your ammo topped off with a bit extra for your pocket, but not enough to overshadow the main gold generating methods.

Jeremiah is describing a bug from the sounds of it, as the bounty should still be resetting on death. If it's not working as intended, please submit a bug report about it. Thank you.

@Johnny Telltale, could you possibly offer any insight as to whether the (more pressing) issue of incorrect SvS damage will be addressed in the near future? It worked well prior to 1.4.0, but now the damage numbers function like a permanent take cover (see this thread). Put in multiple bug reports since 1.4.0, but haven't really seen heard whether its been looked into.

Interesting to know that bounty is supposed to reset on death... I don't recall it doing so back in POTCO but its been so long that I'm probably forgetting. Trying to avoid sinking at all costs adds another element to gameplay, I suppose.

@Johnny Telltale, could you possibly offer any insight as to whether the (more pressing) issue of incorrect SvS damage will be addressed in the near future? It worked well prior to 1.4.0, but now the damage numbers function like a permanent take cover (see this thread). Put in multiple bug reports since 1.4.0, but haven't really seen heard whether its been looked into.

Interesting to know that bounty is supposed to reset on death... I don't recall it doing so back in POTCO but its been so long that I'm probably forgetting. Trying to avoid sinking at all costs adds another element to gameplay, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any details regarding development - but the developers are aware of the bugs and will certainly try their hardest to fix them when they're able!

Don't worry, we receive all the bug reports you guys submit and are aware of them, it can just take a while before things are gotten to.

Also, as far as I'm aware it did reset in POTCO - at least, your score did. I could be wrong though, it's been a while!

Also, as far as I'm aware it did reset in POTCO - at least, your score did. I could be wrong though, it's been a while!

You kept your score even if you sunk, but if you sunk with bounty you lose your bounty. You had to sink the ship or ships that sunk you in order to regain it. If other ships on your team help you sink them, then the bounty splits to the ships depending on which ones dealt the most damage. :p

You kept your score even if you sunk, but if you sunk with bounty you lose your bounty. You had to sink the ship or ships that sunk you in order to regain it. If other ships on your team help you sink them, then the bounty splits to the ships depending on which ones dealt the most damage. :p

Very informative, thank you! I stand corrected then, wasn't a huge SvS player back in the day :p

Back