Blog Post Ten Years

DNW-IJrVAAEfBug.jpg:large

Hey, everyone.

Tomorrow is a big day. Not only is it the 10th anniversary of Pirates Online, but it’s also the launch of Hollowed Woods, our first ever original content expansion. As we sit on the precipice of this momentous occasion, we thought we’d take this time to reflect on how far we’ve come.

Over the past two years, we’ve had the honor and privilege of bringing back Pirates Online. When we all heard the news of POTCO’s closure in August of 2013, none of us could’ve ever thought we would be here today, remaking and maintaining the game for you all, and we are forever grateful to be.

But these past few years have been more than about the game. We have grown together. We’ve shared in each other’s success and failures. We’ve celebrated each other’s joys, and comforted one another in times of sadness. We’ve become more than just “The Crew”. We are a family. And we are forever indebted to this community for bringing us together. Without this game, without its committed fanbase, none of us would have found each other. In fact, many of us have met up personally in real life -- which was such an amazing experience!

We like to think that “The Crew” is the best of Pirates Online condensed into a small nugget. When you take away looting, the fancy ships, and the quests, you’re left with the community. And it is our hope that every member of this community is able to find their own Pirates Online family. So find a guild, find a crew, or just a small group of friends. Because when we are together, that is Pirates Online.

That is the reason the game resonates so much with all of us. It is, was, and always will be the community that shapes the game. And we will be here every step of the way to guide it.

We will be honest, it’s not always smooth sailing and sunny skies. Members of our crew have been personally attacked, threatened, and harassed. Nevertheless, we are still here, because we believe in this community and what it can be. The good outweighs the bad. We see it every day. There are so many of you in this community who are kind, considerate, and supportive. Whether you send us tiny supportive messages on the forums or lead by example in-game, you have been noticed. And to each and every one of you, we say thank you. You keep us going.

So here’s to us all, the community. From our pirate family to yours, happy tenth anniversary!

The Crew @ The Legend of Pirates Online

I joined the POTCO community after the first year, so it's been 9 years for me. Who knew that the people I met on this game would have such a profound impact on my life? The friends I made are near and dear to my heart. I made this comment to our guild today: "What I think is SO COOL about TLOPO is that we have both old and older POTCO members joining.. so there are people who I knew and loved over the years of POTCO, some who had never met until now, all together at one time. It makes me SO HAPPY "

Thanks to all the hard working developers who have had to endure so much personal sacrifice just to bring this game back to us. There's literally nothing I can do, say, or give that would match what you have given to me. All I can say is, from the bottom of my heart,
7c972f7912a800d05b016b9e9233956f.png

times a million.​

Too much! (As a community)

Like I said to someone the other day, this story "could just about be a movie"... (what an amazing community... cult classics are made like this)

I've not done a lot, occasionally whisper in peoples ears and try to get in peoples faces (a vocal supporter and flag waver from the sidelines, like a lot of us) but the team here on Forums and the Dev's since the end of 2013 beginning of 2014 have been Epic !

So much time and effort given from all involved "just because"... it is and always was more than "just a game" (obviously) for those who have given their time directly all this time, not just a community of players, even more.

I clearly feel the same way too, but I still am in awe of everyone's real time and real effort, here on the Forums and of course those Superstars who have wanted to and have tried and have succeeded in this project. (Our irreplaceable POTCO World)

Try and think back, if you can, to the end of 2013 beginning 2014 (in terms of the project) when this whole "Rewrite Dream" started, well, many here can. (What an amazing journey)

Wow... just wow : )
(Cg all !)... Love to all Solomon:D
:pirate ship:

Last edited:
I remember the first time I watched that Pirates of the Caribbean Online advertisement. I was a lucky youngster, my dad bought me Unlimited Access right away. I would say this was back in 2009. Which means tomorrow, I will be completing 8 years with the Pirates Online community.

It has been very fun a part of this group, considering how much I have transformed alongside POTCO and its recreations. I have become older! I no longer am that youngster that played (and raged) and POTCO, and have turned into, what I prefer to call, an adult baby, who is now at a settled stage of life.

Recently, I had the opportunity to join the Crew as one of two News Reporters, alongside who is now one of my best buddies, @Seahawk . During the forum's 7 year anniversary, I made a post on Captain Star's thread talking about how you all in the community make all of this possible. All of what The Crew does possible. And I have to say, in the short time I was integrated as a News Reporter, I have seen the community's true impact on all of us staff members.

You guys are our lifeblood. And that is no joke. You constantly have our thanks for your never ending patience during this testing, and your support to our staff. It is safe to say that TLOPO is in good hands, even when the new generation of The Crew is in.

So, from a new member of The Crew, to you all, I say, fair winds, and thanks, because you keep us going.

**EDIT** I may be too low a level to enter Hallowed Woods right now, due to my level 50 character being mysteriously deleted, but be sure to keep a weather eye for me! My pirate's name is Marc Daggerhound, and you can catch me leveling at Kingshead and Tormenta! I will most likely be on Abassa or Andaba at Hallowed Woods' launch, so if you want to drop a friend request, and want a friend who loves boss farming, be sure to find me!

-Tom Savageflint
News Reporter

As a kid, I had a subscription to "Sports Illustrated for Kids" magazine. I remember reading the back cover, which was an advertisement for POTCO, and running straight to my computer to sign up. That was in 2008. Now in 2017, I'm happy to say I still have connections with many players I once sailed along side with in the original game. It's truly amazing to see how the community evolved and matured as the years passed by (especially my young-lings over at Emerald Regiment :lol1:). It doesn't matter if you don't play, check forums, or reflect on the game anymore. The majority of the POTCO community learned communication skills and mutual respect through guilds and activities that they can use for the rest of their lives. That is truly something to be proud of.

Last edited:
I have been a player of POTCO for about 5 years and it was the best 5 years of my life, I love the community and the people. I still love the game as much as I did back then and I just want to thank everyone on the team and how much this game has made me happy and it's just very fun to play with a lot of people around the world I've never met but we somehow have a bond. Thank you for 10 years!

:congrats1::congrats1::congrats1::congrats1::congrats1::congrats1::congrats1::congrats1:

10 years, huh? 10 years... That's like 3652 days. We're OLD. Man, talk about how time flies. To think that over the course of its original run, there were the complete redesigns of Port Royal, Tortuga, and Padres del Fuego, SVS, the addition of Spanish and French Undead (RIP Le Lapon Rouge, heheheheheheh), Jolly Roger invasions, the Queen Anne's Revenge, AND Raven's Cove. And that was all over a course of 6 years of the game's full release. Here we (and by we, I mean the devs) are, over 2 years later since POTCO was resurrected (so many Halloween jokes, heheheheheheh) as TLOPO, with new original content releasing by tonight or tomorrow, and it's STILL IN BETA!!! Think about this for a second: the devs had to sift through 6 years of code and in 2 years, they managed to get a vast majority done. Talk about dedication.

Happy Halloween!!!

I'm not a very outgoing contributor to the forums but I can't resist but to join in here. I've played the game since right at the beginning in 2007, literally on day one, sitting on my Dad's knee! We used to play Toontown together and he signed us up to POTCO as soon as registration was open; an account each, so he could play with me and help me grow my pirate (named after 'Maisy Mouse'). We would make friends together at first and he encouraged me to be a thoughtful pirate, for example helping other smaller pirates with their quests, and in this way I am sure that this game was formative in my general development. It was a while before I began to play alone as a middle sized pirate, and was invited (at Cutthroat - I remember it well) to join the best guild in the game (I would say that wouldn't I!). The guild was Emerald Regiment. It was my first and only guild and I remained with it until a group of us, tearfully in my case, went down with our ship in August 2013. By then I had joined the forums and after POTCO closed down I kept in touch with my friends here, anguishing over the disappointments as various promises of a remake failed until TLOPO came along. I tried often but couldn't work out the complicated (to me) IRC but joined the closed beta as soon as it was released. Through my ongoing connection with ER friends here I was given a beta key very early, and also found a few myself to pass on to friends, and the reformed Emerald Regiment soon began to grow with many original members coming back, one by one, now as adults. And so here we are today!

It is difficult to find the words to pay proper respect and express sufficient gratitude to the developers and others that have given so much of their time (and at times put up with so much from an anxious and impatient community) to bring the game to the point that it is at now.

So thank you, to everyone who has worked so generously to give birth to TLOPO and raise it through infancy to the point it is at now, sturdy and full of promise. Thank you also to my wonderful friends in ER, most of whom are physically across an ocean from me but are a part of my everyday life. I look forward to many more years here, who knows perhaps one day sitting my own child on my knee to play the game and learn about life!

Lots of love,

Maisy xxx

@Maisy , Thank you for bringing tears to my eyes. That was a wonderful memory!!!! I love this game I love what it means to all of us. Its memories like yours and many many others, why I get so frustrated at all the whaa whaa posts. No one can know how much this game means to each of us. Thank you for sharing that feeling and emotion. Bless You my Friend!!! and I will say it again and again, thank you to every single person that had a hand, a thought, a voice, a supportive presence, THANK YOU FOR DOING WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND WE LOVE YOU AND APPRECIATE YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR BEINGS!!!

Last edited:
It has been one of the best decisions of my life to start playing and enter into this community 10 years ago. I still cannot believe how fortunate we all are to have this community where even years after the shutdown, this community is thriving.

I wish I could give more to this community, you all mean a very big deal. Happy 10 years of Pirating!

My brother played in the tests of potco and was a founder when game opened ten years ago. I was in college , and he bugged me and bugged me to try it...I would annoy him by saying it sounded like a kid's game. I went home one weekend a month after game launched, and played with him(using my mom's old puter), and was hooked. He loved svs and had joined an svs guild(Black Shark), and I would attempt to gun for him. I was level 14 when Bill Ironskull talked me into launching a light sloop....He gunned for me! I didn't know much about Bill then, just that he was big and piratey, a founder, and the best gunner ever! I fell in love with sailing with Bill. Later, Leo offered me advice... which I took to heart probably to his dismay lol...joined Honorable Ones and learned about patience in svs from Bo (Jellybean Bonanza). Twisted Tyrant became a close friend in game and in rl. When he wanted to go to another game, yeah...I went to try it out....but always came back to POTCO. When Bill Ironskull passed, the light of Potco dimmed for me for a long while... but he would have been amazed and pleased at how long it has endured, and how many pirates there are still loving it. I raise my rum to all the Brethren and to all the Crew! Thanks be to you all! Lets do this again in another ten years !

Best community ever I've playing with my small brother and its amazing funny and interesting game for everyone in every age

10 years, huh? 10 years... That's like 3652 days. We're OLD. Man, talk about how time flies. To think that over the course of its original run, there were the complete redesigns of Port Royal, Tortuga, and Padres del Fuego, SVS, the addition of Spanish and French Undead (RIP Le Lapon Rouge, heheheheheheh), Jolly Roger invasions, the Queen Anne's Revenge, AND Raven's Cove. And that was all over a course of 6 years of the game's full release. Here we (and by we, I mean the devs) are, over 2 years later since POTCO was resurrected (so many Halloween jokes, heheheheheheh) as TLOPO, with new original content releasing by tonight or tomorrow, and it's STILL IN BETA!!! Think about this for a second: the devs had to sift through 6 years of code and in 2 years, they managed to get a vast majority done. Talk about dedication.

Happy Halloween!!!

We're not getting old, we're getting younger the more we play! :green smilies:

Back