Test Server Closed

Captain Star

Fantabulous Administrator
Admin
sosad.PNG

One less thing for them to keep up with for a month is why.

BTW, all my screenshots from test are gone from all Disney files on all my computers. I expect the same thing to happen when they close the launcher for open as well.

Oh well, knew it was going to end sooner or later. Does anyone think it had anything to do with the hackers of Corey and Ian? Or was this going to happen none the less.

Oh well, knew it was going to end sooner or later. Does anyone think it had anything to do with the hackers of Corey and Ian? Or was this going to happen none the less.

Hacking and security were only a small part of the overall cost. Clearly, fighting hacking is an issue and that issue was larger in potco than club penguin. However, even if a security patch was installed last year that prevented all hacking I fear the results would have been the same.

I think you are wrong about that. The website potco was more than just a game to most of us, it was an escape from everyday life. The chance to make not just make guild member's or mate's but real friend's. The adventure was better than word's could ever say. I for one loved the site and the amazing pirate's I was able to meet and team up with. We had such a great time and every member on there has been loyal to Disney and the site, till the very end. No matter how much we begged and pleaded with the site to stay open, we were ingored. Where was the site's loyalty to us after we gave so much to them for the last four year's. Did they take our feeling's into consideration? Even still I have great memorie's and still want the site to reopen as do thousand's of other loyal fan's from around the world. If I have to pay more for it so they can finance and keep it running at any cost, I for one am willing to pay and I'm sure I'm not alone. All I am asking for is the Disney site to take this into consideration and find out if I'm right. Post something!! see if people are willing to pay to reopen the sight. is that to much to ask? I don't care about the lagging, there are many different server's to choose from. Nothing is perfect in technology. I was signed on everynight, and like so many I really miss the friend's I have made and the adventure's we have had.

...Clearly, fighting hacking is an issue and that issue was larger in potco than club penguin. However, even if a security patch was installed last year that prevented all hacking I fear the results would have been the same.

:iagree: The results would have been the same because unless some effort (like Revive POTCO) would have possibly convinced Disney/DIMG decision-makers to invest further money into the game, the hacking problem on POTCO may have possibly been solved but it would have been solved only "temporary." This is due because of the extent of players' interest to seek out ways to hack into POTCO's coding beyond the trends of the moment.

To make matters worse, hackers (incorrectly) justified their actions on POTCO by proclaiming that by practicing their skills...they were doing Disney and all of us a "favor" :confused: by exposing the loopholes. However, I HIGHLY doubt that if the game was significantly patched, that many POTCO hackers would have simply gone quietly in the night, and played the game like the rest of us. ***I stand by this claim because once someone develops a skill to where they begin to understand for themselves the pure enjoyment that results from such skill, the tendency of the heart is to continue to press forward doing the same basic thing because the personal willpower that may have been there to avoid the advancing of such skill is oftentimes eroded. Throw a person's own pride into the mix and you have the recipe towards predictability.

QUESTION: Has anyone here ever met a conflicted or "unhappy" POTCO hacker? :confused:~ Nope, I haven't either and I doubt that in-game patches would magically convince all hackers to play a clean POTCO life!

I bet they were unhappy when POTCO/ToonTown closed. :p
And I would bet also that they have been in the market, if you will, for another "home." ;)

The challenge for many of us (myself included) is whether or not we simply pardon the experimentation they performed against POTCO. The manipulation of POTCO coding, afterall, did affect the gaming experience for many a pirate whom played the game as it were intended.

*While it will always serves to our credit to forgive others' sins, I would hope that our POTCO community would not just turn its' back and squander the opportunity to really hold others accountable for their past behavior to where these individuals may fail to learn for their own selves that with every action, a specific "reaction" or consequence occurs which is solely dependent upon the good/bad intentions of that individual.

Oye! Let's not cheat them of that! :piratemickey:

:iagree: The results would have been the same because unless some effort (like Revive POTCO) would have possibly convinced Disney/DIMG decision-makers to invest further money into the game, the hacking problem on POTCO may have possibly been solved but it would have been solved only "temporary." This is due because of the extent of players' interest to seek out ways to hack into POTCO's coding beyond the trends of the moment.

To make matters worse, hackers (incorrectly) justified their actions on POTCO by proclaiming that by practicing their skills...they were doing Disney and all of us a "favor" :confused: by exposing the loopholes. However, I HIGHLY doubt that if the game was significantly patched, that many POTCO hackers would have simply gone quietly in the night, and played the game like the rest of us. ***I stand by this claim because once someone develops a skill to where they begin to understand for themselves the pure enjoyment that results from such skill, the tendency of the heart is to continue to press forward doing the same basic thing because the personal willpower that may have been there to avoid the advancing of such skill is oftentimes eroded. Throw a person's own pride into the mix and you have the recipe towards predictability.

QUESTION: Has anyone here ever met a conflicted or "unhappy" POTCO hacker? :confused:~ Nope, I haven't either and I doubt that in-game patches would magically convince all hackers to play a clean POTCO life!

Hi Guys

I don't know too much about hacking or hackers but I think that 'doing Disney and all of us a "favour" ' is a strange way to describe, for example, booting people off the game when they are about to dock a ship full of cargo, or using quick fire fury to sink everything it sight in SVS. I'm afraid, to me, this sort of activity was just selfish and malicious. I can understand why some people may want to do this sort of thing but in my view it is for characterological reasons, to deal with personal insecurities or a sense of real life impotence or whatever, but understanding is not the same as accepting or forgiving.

On the other hand this was a tiny tiny minority of people and while it was important to try to find ways to stop them, even if only temporarily, the game went on in spite of it and friendships endured. While I understand that it might have cost Disney resources to keep up with the hackers I would have thought, to the extent that it was done, it would be a minimal resource and therefore to make an equation between hacking and the closure of POTCO is mixing apples and oranges.

lots of love xxx

...I think that 'doing Disney and all of us a "favour" ' is a strange way to describe, for example, booting people off the game when they are about to dock a ship full of cargo, or using quick fire fury to sink everything it sight in SVS. I'm afraid, to me, this sort of activity was just selfish and malicious. I can understand why some people may want to do this sort of thing but in my view it is for characterological reasons, to deal with personal insecurities or a sense of real life impotence or whatever, but understanding is not the same as accepting or forgiving.

I agree with this because anythig worth gaining is worth gaining "right."

For example, during a cause as fun and as important as the in-game, Revive POTCO "events" (which were organized to bring the community of players together for a rightful cause), not one positive thing had changed or altered POTCO's fate by those whom felt compelled to hack in-game on behalf of POTCO to gain Disney's attention better. NOT ONE!

In that respect, the same truth can be said about those of us whom choose not to hack during such times but here lies the difference; the purpose of such events were not to seek out something as feeble as Disney's own attention but rather the opportunity to bring the POTCO community together in a way which could draw support towards furthering Disney's attention directed at POTCO. This is not beyond anyone's capability to understand, I wouldn't think.:facepalm:

To be clear, in-game POTCO events (such as 'Revive POTCO' events) sought out to create change for the better of the community and in Revive POTCO's case, to direct it's efforts towards important decision-makers unfamiliar with POTCO on a daily basis. ~ It don't get any more cut and dry than that, me hearties! :eek:

I agree with this because anythig worth gaining is worth gaining "right."

For example, during a cause as fun and as important as the in-game, Revive POTCO "events" (which were organized to bring the community of players together for a rightful cause), not one positive thing had changed or altered POTCO's fate by those whom felt compelled to hack in-game on behalf of POTCO to gain Disney's attention better. NOT ONE!

In that respect, the same truth can be said about those of us whom choose not to hack during such times but here lies the difference; the purpose of such events were not to seek out something as feeble as Disney's own attention but rather the opportunity to bring the POTCO community together in a way which could draw support towards furthering Disney's attention directed at POTCO. This is not beyond anyone's capability to understand, I wouldn't think.:facepalm:

To be clear, in-game POTCO events (such as 'Revive POTCO' events) sought out to create change for the better of the community and in Revive POTCO's case, to direct it's efforts towards important decision-makers unfamiliar with POTCO on a daily basis. ~ It don't get any more cut and dry than that, me hearties! :eek:

Well said Shamus!

xxx

Its been years since I've played, and last night I had the best(yet extremely random) POTCO dream of my life. Then I went to see if its remade, or even turned back on. Sadly no, I really wish they could at least keep it on or something.

Back