The battle of Padres Del Fuego [Part 2]

pogoemt

Pirate Apprentice
Ok frendos here is part 2 of my Battle of Padres Del Fuego story. I decided to make it just two parts because I'm terrible at writing conclusions and the story wasn't deep enough to warrant a third part just for a conclusion. Again, any feedback, suggestions and ideas for future stories are welcome.

If you haven't read part 1, I encourage you to do so here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-battle-of-padres-del-fuego-part-1.17925/

Thanks, pogoemt

For a moment, everybody looked at the foam where Jack had plunged into the bay, stunned by his oddly charming clumsiness.

One of the War Frigate’s first mates broke the silence with a deep bellow “Well go on then!” he roared. “We cannot let them take the beach!”

And with that directive, any semblance of ‘good order and discipline’ went out the proverbial porthole.

Pirates aimlessly ran around breaking down anything destructible to be used in roadblocks. Anything from a tavern sign, to a cargo crate or even a parrot’s cage was scrapped in the name of the defense of Padres Del Fuego.

Ominous black stormclouds began to descend upon the island. Lightning struck faster than even the smoothest of quadruple barreled pistols. The clouds swirled overhead like a typhoon and a thick mist blanketed the island, soaking anybody who was outside for more than a few minutes. A sharp chill filled the air, some pirates fled indoors in search of more protective clothing from the elements.

As time progressed, some of the more organized pirate crews were able to organize themselves enough to separate into different parties responsible for various roadblocks and intersections.

The frontline was the least organized, a mix of lone wolves, lost crew members, and low level gray names who aimlessly swung their swords at rocks.

Some of the midrange level pirates had formed a crew to support the frontline, they were armed with grenades, blunderbusses and other medium range weapons.

One of such support groups was the voodoo types, with their mystical dolls and staffs. They placed themselves in areas where they could do damage to large groups of undead at a time. Others of the voodoo types prepared their dolls to heal injured pirates so they could return to the line faster.

Skilled marksmen were placed just behind roadblocks to support the frontline fighters should the undead make a breakthrough, they armed to the brim with powerful muskets and all of the silver shot they could muster.

But no matter how strong the defenses were built, there was a common sense of anxiety and fear.

Captain Jack Sparrow randomly appeared at each of the defensive parties.

“This is the largest and strongest pirate army ever seen in the Caribbean!” he exclaimed “But do not get a sense of comfort. Each man must do is part and them some if we wish to stop Jolly Roger”

Jack paced over to one of the gray names, who was violently shivering and looked paler than a ghost, and placed a decorated hand on the man’s shoulder “from the least experienced pirate” he looked to one of the pirate captains “to the most powerful and wealthy, no one man is going to stop Jolly Roger or his army, it is up to us!”

The crowd let out a nervous cheer as Jack continued on to the next defensive party. He gave this speech to as many groups as he could find. Somewhere deep down he hoped that what he was saying and his presence would inspire the pirates. But he was nervous.

Out in the harbor, a great evil laugh could be heard. Such a laugh that even Jack Sparrow himself felt a shiver down his spine.

From a watchtower, Marty the dwarf screamed “The enemy is here!”

The pirates looked to the beach in confusion at first, for they could not see any boats approaching. But what they saw next was so gut wrenchingly terrifying, that some pirates on the front line dropped their swords and ran.

The army of the undead began to arise from the water and attack, and just like that the battle of Padres Del Fuego began.

The battle raged on for hours, all the while in the tavern, the pirate lords were organizing as best they could, sending runners across the island for reports and to spread orders to ensure that no beach would be left unguarded.

Through the whirlwind and chaos, one pirate, whose identity is still unknown to this day, is believed to have killed at least a hundred undead soldiers on the beach alone. He is believed to be the only code-following pirate to ever fight with two swords. His attacks were so graceful, and combos so exceptionally well-timed, that he moved through hordes of undead like a hot knife through butter. It is rumored that his pair of broadswords were presented to him for the sole purpose of defending Padres Del Fuego.

At one point, the pirates were even forced to retreat from the beach and make a final stand at their secondary defensive line but at each roadblock, the marksmen depleted every last piece of silver shot available on the island, stopping the undead in waves with every volley fired.

It is rumored that Jolly Roger himself landed on the island and dueled with Jack Sparrow for some time ultimately resulting in Jack wounding Roger to so gravely that Roger was forced to retreat back to his flagship.

The turning point of the battle came when a counterattack was mustered by many of the pirate swordsmen. They timed their pushes along with the volleys of the marksmen and pushed the undead back into the water, ultimately back to their ships.

The pirates had defeated the odds and Jolly Roger’s undead army. Instead of another grand speech, Jack Sparrow instead individually congratulated the pirates for their accomplishments. To celebrate such a historic victory, Jack bought rounds of drinks for all pirates who wished to stay.

The pirates drank for hours, until the wee hours of the morning. Then ship by ship, the harbor began to empty as each pirate captain and their crew returned to where they came from. Many returned to Tortuga where stories of their heroics still live on. Some returned to the high seas where they continued their plunder of British and EITC booty.

The pirates enjoyed their victory and the spoils that came with it, most notably being the continuity of their chosen profession and lifestyle. But somewhere deep down they knew this was not the last time they would be seeing Jolly Roger or his undead army, he would mend himself back to health and as time passed he would rebuild his army stronger than it was before. For Jolly Roger believed that it was only a matter of time before he would rule the Caribbean.

Excellent story, I liked before even reading it because the first one was so good.
I read it, and I think that it's awesome. I'd love to see more of these stories because you seem like a great storyteller.

holy cow, I cant wait to find out the identity of that legendary swordsman who wields two swords... god, he sounds insane.

Back