The Best Ship for plundering and best Upgrades

S

Sailing Maniac

War Brig is The Best , second place takes War Frigate ... War Sloop is loosing doe to small Cargo and few broadsides only.

Many will say ,That War Frigate is better ,but it's only cause they don't want to pay so much gold for Brig.

War Brig makes 360 turn in 23-24 sec War Frigate takes 26 sec= War Brig wins and can escape more attacks as well as chase targets better
War Brig much faster Speed,than Frigate
War Brig has far better view of crew ,than Frigate, so you can see noobs shooting harpoons.
War Brig has almost same armor as War Frigate and has 4 more Broadsides.. frigate do miss cannonballs also
To hit target with War Brig you need to shoot on angle of 75 degrees left way so back of your ship is closer to enemy
I have never missed full broadsides.
Yes War Brig is very expensive and could be cheaper , but it is the best ships ever.

Best Upgrades are - Fortune Hunter(big Cargo) or Skull and bones(strong broadsides).
Depending on if you like big cargo capacity , or not.
Other upgrades rather have no armor or to slow sailing

P.S. average armor is good-in off, cause even with strongest armor such as copperhead any Hunter can sink you with 1 full broadside as it shoots many explosives, so better have more turning and speed.

I have a level 6 Copperhead War Frigate and can confidently say, that if you are hit by a hunter with full broadside, you will most definitely not sink, in fact very little damage will be done. Also the power of just one explosive from your broadsides is very powerful, and can punch through the hull of any ship very quickly, and is extremely powerful. Fortunately, I also have a level 5 War Brig with Fortune Hunter, and where as it may have more speed and cargo, It also has more on deck cannons. This is especially helpful when you have a full ship. I do think that if you know how to utilize the speed and turning ability of the war brig, it can be to your advantage, but to all you newcomers out there, I would definitely recommend a War Frigate with Copperhead.

Will Redvane Level 50 Pirate

Im a galleon kind of guy... Just getting that out there... xD

That's quite a confession! We'll forgive ya... :walk the plank:

This may sound a bit odd - but I really like taking my level VI Copperhead War Sloop on material runs, especially if I'm going to open it to the public. Why?

1. It's quick - The ship is faster between sinkings and traveling in general. Great if I'm not in the mood for a marathon session on a Fortune Hunter Galleon. And not as frustrating when, "They've closed down Raven's Cove, but Devil's Anvil is open". Also - 14 is only 2 less than a standard load in a War Frigate, not bad...

2. Smaller crew - This is in addition to speed. If I end up with less than desirable crew (PORT NOW!!!), I can get rid of them quicker.

3. War Sloops are more maneuverable and can avoid broadsides while quickly positioning for more effective broadsides and cannon shots.

4. When (not if) I'm hit, copperhead armor (and level II Take Cover) help to keep the crew dry.

Interesting Tactic... but if speed and maneuverability are what your going for, id DEFINITELY recommend a streamlined galleon. at level 3, my war galleon goes as fast as a light sloop (11 knots) and its got more broadsides, so if you purchase the lightning upgrade ( i forget what its called ) it will do even more damage and its also got more cargo, i believe...

Nate, the name you're looking for, I believe, is Storm Chaser.

I personally use a War Sloop for some of the reasons that @Rick above has stated. Once I get enough gold, I will probably go with either the Copperhead or the Skull and Bones, mainly for cosmetic purposes, actually (Gold sails with Level I Take Cover)... I don't really care about functionality as much as how good something looks. I am a stickler about appearance. I plan on using it for SVS or for sailing quickly from island to island.

I plan on getting a War Brig, though, later on for plundering. I will either put the Firestorm upgrade or the Skull and Bones, depending on how I do the sails and Rigging.

However, I do not believe there is the "Ultimate" Upgrade. Each class has its highlights and downsides, we just choose what we prefer. It all boils down to personal preference, as do many things.

"This may sound a bit odd - but I really like taking my level VI Copperhead War Sloop on material runs, especially if I'm going to open it to the public. "​

Copperhead war sloop is a rare breed. Would love to watch it in action some time.I get this question often from newer pirates looking to upgrade their first War. The biggest mistakes I see are:

1. Wasting a lot of material upgrading a regular ship then selling it later for a War. If you plan on getting War ships, save that rare material.​
2. Changing your mind and changing paths. Each time you change paths, you spend cash and materials without advancing the upgrade. Pick the final ship you want and go with the easiest path.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Copperhead war sloop is a rare breed. Would love to watch it in action some time.
It is a rare one. The pirate I have it for also has 5 points on explosive - he was made with SVS in mind. When the broadsides hit, things go BOOM! :skullpeak:

The War Sloop is great for small crews and quick runs.
For big crews, I like my War Frigate with level VI Storm Chaser / level II Open Fire. It has A LOT more power per shot than my War Brig with level VI Skull & Bones / level II Take Cover. Most ships (except hunters) sink on a single broadside with the Storm Chaser.

Fortune brings up a great point - What do YOU want to do with YOUR ship? IMHO - try to match your ship to your goals, your pirate's skill points and style of play.My friend does nothing but mat runs - he has a War Galleon with Fortune Hunter level VI - it has 27 cargo!!! If you board his ship, be prepared to devote at least an hour to sailing!

ex. My pirate with the Copperhead war sloop (The Dread Pirate Wesley) has NO points spent on lightning shot - IMHO those 5 points were much better spent on explosive to maximize the copperhead's advantages, and "other" places to help in SVS :cool: . I'm debating between Fortune Hunter and Skull & Bones for his other ships.
My main pirate (Richard Lockburn) is much more straight forward - since he has Storm Chaser and Skull & Bones upgrades, he has 5 points on lightning & fury.

Of course, YMMV
:pirate ship:

Ok guys, a question please. If I have, say, a copperhead and I'm sailing solo so just using my broadsides to damage enemy ships, does it matter if I have 5 points on explosive in my cannon skills? Will that affect the power of my broadside hits?

Same of course goes for other varieties. So with a Stormchaser, does having cannon skill points on thunderbolt make my broadsides more effective?

Thanks to you experts for your advice .

xxx

War Brig has far better view of crew ,than Frigate, so you can see noobs shooting harpoons.
over 4 years later and this still made me laugh.
I have never missed full broadsides.
Try playing TLOPO

Ok guys, a question please. If I have, say, a copperhead and I'm sailing solo so just using my broadsides to damage enemy ships, does it matter if I have 5 points on explosive in my cannon skills? Will that affect the power of my broadside hits?

Same of course goes for other varieties. So with a Stormchaser, does having cannon skill points on thunderbolt make my broadsides more effective?

Thanks to you experts for your advice .

xxx
Yes @Maisy it does. No matter if your sailing alone or with a crew your cannon skill points affect your broadsides. If I have 5 into firebrand then having a Fortune Hunter or the other firebrand one (forgot what it was called) then when firebrand comes from my broadside it will do more dmg then if I had no skill points into firebrand.

That's why upgrading round shot is extremely useful and almost essential, since no matter what build you choose you will fire some round shot.
It also gives you a pretty good backup if you run out of ammo while cannoneering.

No matter if your sailing alone or with a crew your cannon skill points affect your broadsides. If I have 5 into firebrand then having a Fortune Hunter or the other firebrand one (forgot what it was called) then when firebrand comes from my broadside it will do more dmg then if I had no skill points into firebrand.

Thank you so much Jack. Very helpful! It makes the choice of upgrade path for the second and third ship more complex, which is by no means a bad thing!

Happy sailing xxx

Back