Suggestion The Evil Curse of Doom AKA The Black Spot

Davy McShot

Pirate Master
In the PotC Movies, there is the mysterious Curse of the Black Spot.

In POTCO, this was recreated as if anybody remembers. Before POTCO ended, they said with updates they would do more with this idea of the Evil Curse of Doom
(until it ended :scary mary:). I'm wondering/suggesting if the TLOPO team could do something about this.

May Ye Evade The Curse of The Black Spot:)

Last edited:
Personally I would make this a more end game kind of thing. Don't want to plague the beginning community with this. Seems like to much to worry about for starting off. Maybe starting around Notoroty level 40+ you catch it from some players.

It could be a case where only 1 person has the spot in one server at a time. That person passes it off to another person and then that chain continues. Don't know what the spot would do. Ideas for the future.

Thanks!
- Spider

Lore wise, the black spot is a locator beacon of sorts, a tracking curse for davy jones. Capt. Jack Sparrow confirmed this in the 2nd movie, after visiting Tia Dalma (AKA: Calypso.) The only way to stave off the curse, is to stay on land, which is of course a slight problem for a pirate, being in a ship the majority of the time. However, this makes less sense lore wise in the game, as you can teleport, or stowaway to the main islands with a single mouse click.

An alternative idea, would be to add Davy Jones, the Kraken, and other "Worlds End" themed bosses, and then using the bounty hunter ship system, have those bosses hunt your characters ship down more and more as the story progresses. Additionally, they could add a land based bounty hunting system, which allows high level boss, or regular NPC enemies from various factions hunt the character on land, and randomly spring out on them based on the level of bounty. The same could be applied to the Davy Jones questline, with Jones, and the enemies of Isla Tormenta springing out of nowhere on a whim, based on number of quests completed in the chain.

I also agree with Spider, with a good level for the quest to begin, to be at 40, seeing how level 30s are busy enough with Staff Training, and the soon to come El Patron questline.

Lore wise, the black spot is a locator beacon of sorts, a tracking curse for davy jones. Capt. Jack Sparrow confirmed this in the 2nd movie, after visiting Tia Dalma (AKA: Calypso.) The only way to stave off the curse, is to stay on land, which is of course a slight problem for a pirate, being in a ship the majority of the time. However, this makes less sense lore wise in the game, as you can teleport, or stowaway to the main islands with a single mouse click.

An alternative idea, would be to add Davy Jones, the Kraken, and other "Worlds End" themed bosses, and then using the bounty hunter ship system, have those bosses hunt your characters ship down more and more as the story progresses. Additionally, they could add a land based bounty hunting system, which allows high level boss, or regular NPC enemies from various factions hunt the character on land, and randomly spring out on them based on the level of bounty. The same could be applied to the Davy Jones questline, with Jones, and the enemies of Isla Tormenta springing out of nowhere on a whim, based on number of quests completed in the chain.

I also agree with Spider, with a good level for the quest to begin, to be at 40, seeing how level 30s are busy enough with Staff Training, and the soon to come El Patron questline.

WOW! This is so detailed, I love it. You should be talked to by the TLOPO team about this idea if and when they implement it.

Haha, I'd love to join the team, but other then marketing skills, a ton of ideas, and a goofy grin, I have nothing to really offer.

YES YES YES! IT'S BEEN CONFIRMED! THIS IS KINDA LIKE MY IDEA BUT IT SEEMS MORE RANDOM YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New-Enemies.png

I've been thinking about this for a long time. I think it's a great idea! I would love to see another new story quest based off of the Evil Curse of Doom!

Maybe the Evil Curse of Doom (or the Black Spot) was going to be the lead in for being able to implement the kraken....

Suggestion: The black spot, like in the movies, would be a tracking marker on the player. If this were to be reimplemented into the game, and you somehow got the Evil Curse of Doom, at random times when you are at sea you could hear a boom sound (like the sound the thing used to call the kraken made in World's End) then hear Jolly Rogers voice laughing and then say something like "Destroy them my pet!" From then, the kraken would start it's attack.

Maybe the Evil Curse of Doom (or the Black Spot) was going to be the lead in for being able to implement the kraken....

Suggestion: The black spot, like in the movies, would be a tracking marker on the player. If this were to be reimplemented into the game, and you somehow got the Evil Curse of Doom, at random times when you are at sea you could hear a boom sound (like the sound the thing used to call the kraken made in World's End) then hear Jolly Rogers voice laughing and then say something like "Destroy them my pet!" From then, the kraken would start it's attack.
I believe Disney's original plan was to link the evil curse of Doom to the kraken.

As stated in the isla escondida announcement, there will be land bounty hunters added to TLOPO. It would be cool if you got the black spot when you were being hunted to make it more pirate-like and to implement the black spot

Lore wise, the black spot is a locator beacon of sorts, a tracking curse for davy jones. Capt. Jack Sparrow confirmed this in the 2nd movie, after visiting Tia Dalma (AKA: Calypso.) The only way to stave off the curse, is to stay on land, which is of course a slight problem for a pirate, being in a ship the majority of the time. However, this makes less sense lore wise in the game, as you can teleport, or stowaway to the main islands with a single mouse click..

How did I miss these great ideas?! It would definitely add a challenge for those who've completed a lot of the game.

The only issue I foresee is if you were in a crew where several players had active black spot curses going. Suddenly, each of them have beasties or baddies in pursuit and multiplied. Not sure who you'd work around that other than maybe disable it while you're in a crew perhaps?

Back