Discussion Lore Mysteries and Theories

Leon Voorhees

Pirate Apprentice
Captain Bo Beck.
Better known as the guy who got iced by Jolly Roger at the start of the game because if he killed our pirate (who has nigh unbreakable Plot Armor) then we wouldn't be playing this game.
latest

Talking about this guy.
Well, here's what's interesting. It's most definitely possible to bring people back from the dead, Tia Dalma has done it. Now why would she bring him back I'm not quite sure, maybe she heard my prayers for this poor guy because I feel for him ha ha. Why am I saying this? Well, look who's running towards the Black Pearl during that cutscene right before the boss battle.
Screenshot 2017-02-18 at 11.02.30 AM.png
I don't know about anyone else but that definitely looks like him to me.
Could be a subtle hint on Disney's part given how they seem to love small details sometimes.
I personally like to believe that the lore of the game has him rescued from Jolly Roger's control and he redeemed himself by helping us retake The Pearl.
What do you think?

Plot Mysteries 2 and 3: The Clubhearts and The Traitor Ghosts
During the Raven's Cove Story Quest you are asked by (former) tavern owners Ben and Sadie Clubheart to win some of their gold back in undead poker. Of course, the game never actually makes it clear what their relationship is.
Happily married? Brother and Sister? Cousins? Father and Daughter (unlikely judging by their age looks)?
I'm not quite sure. It's hard to see if Ben also has red hair because of his hat, and other than the welcoming smiles, it's hard to tell a family resemblance in a video game unless they're like, Mario and Luigi.

And now the Traitor Ghosts.
latest

My favorite part of the Raven's Cove Story Quest is defending these spectral blue allies from waves of ghosts. What I can't seem to understand is why these ones are different from the others. Did all of El Patron's Crew (except for the 4 crew ghosts in his boss fight) commit mutiny, and are therefore also traitors? What makes these helpful gentlemen/ladies any different? The fact that you can summon more than one (as seen in the picture to the right) also shows that there are more than one. What did they hope to accomplish that was different from the others?

My theory connects with another piece of the lore. Apparently, the crew committed mutiny under the leadership of Humberto Diaz's (or El Patron's) first mate: Foulberto (soon to be named Smasho, but not yet). What they did was fight with his loyal crew, escaping with a large cache of the Lost Weapons. I believe that they did this because El Patron was ultimately driven mad by the power of them, thus going all the way to the end of a mine to get himself as far away from the outside, and as safe too. Foulberto probably claimed that taking the weapons away during the mutiny would be the morally righteous choice because they would be taking the madness from a madman....

... But when some of the mutineers found out that he would've just done the same thing Humberto did, they turned traitor to the traitors, and ran away. The quest description for defending the traitor ghosts say that they have the idol needed to open the door to El Patron's Ship so that you can face their late captain. What I believe is that when El Patron sealed himself away from the mines, thus dooming the rest of his mutinied crew to remain trapped there, the blue traitor ghosts hid the idols around the mine, even taking one with them so that the others couldn't open it. They would ensure that the evil of those weapons never left that ship. Until our player pirate comes along, and takes the idol. It's like that they willingly gave the idol to us because they hoped that if we could defeat El Patron, then the curse would be lifted, and they would, at last, be free.

I like happy endings for those who deserve them, and I believe that our blue friends have indeed earned them. With El Patron slain by our hands, the curse was lifted, and they moved on to the other side together. This would explain why you can no longer summon them from the idol after the events of the story quest, they are now at peace. (the other hostile ghosts are there purely for gameplay reasons, in terms of canon, I believe that they to have passed on).

Now why exactly are they blue? Well, let's look at the GMs and other ghosts. I believe that a ghost's color is determined by their actions before death, or their intentions after death.
Red (Rage Ghosts): Anger, sorrow, hatred, vengence (It's literally in the name)
Green (The townsfolk, Old Sooty): Kindness, innocence (Old Sooty may be a pirate by he's also a really nice guy and Captain Xavier Hench's loving uncle, who still continues to spend time with his adoptive son)
Blue (The Traitor Ghosts, Pete Abred, Loretta Jenkins, Priscilla Crambell, John Moses, Constance Moses, Captain Walter): Morality, integrity, assistful (In one way or another, all of these people have helped us in the war against Jolly Roger, meaning that although for some it is indirect, they are still responsible for the deaths of certain individuals, meaning they are not ENTIRELY innocent. Captain Walter, in particular, was a legendary pirate, and the Traitor Ghosts weren't really good guys either, but they did the right thing in the end. Well, by my headcanon at least)
Orange (The Hostile Ghosts, Captain Cromwell): Selfishness, dishonesty, greed (The mutineer crew of El Patron is uh... well, they're selfish, dishonest, and greedy. Captain Cromwell may have been a decent man at one point, but he unintentionally caused the death of innocent man John Moses, causing his heartbroken love Constance to die of sorrow. Although he did redeem himself, the color coding effect must still recognize this action as his most significant, and therefore overruling)
Black (El Patron and Foulberto Smasho): I'm not quite sure what this one would represent. Only 2 characters have it and they're definitely not good guys. Someone else can do this one.

By now, anyone who is reading this has probably figured out that I am obsessed with the lore of this game and the overall story (and that I love the ghosts).
I write fanfictions for this game, who else even does that.
Yeah, I'm obsessed but I love it.
Woooo!

Another Raven's Cove mystery: Everywhere in the game, where there is human death, there are Jolly's minions. Except on Raven's Cove. There are skeletons everywhere but not one undead (I'm not counting they ghosts, as they do not seem to serve Jolly Rodger). We see what happened to Minertown. So why is Raven's Cove any different.

Another Raven's Cove mystery: Everywhere in the game, where there is human death, there are Jolly's minions. Except on Raven's Cove. There are skeletons everywhere but not one undead (I'm not counting they ghosts, as they do not seem to serve Jolly Rodger). We see what happened to Minertown. So why is Raven's Cove any different.

Jolly Roger and Cutler Beckett both heard of El Patron's Lost Weapons a long time ago. When they found out they were located in Raven's Cove, they both got there... at the same time. They immediately broke their alliance and slaughtered each other to get the weapons. Nobody survived, except for one man (Crazy Ned). Jolly Roger DID manage to gain control over the Rage Ghosts for a little bit, and he then used those to control GMs Pete Abred, Loretta Jenkins, and many others. Luckily, we managed to free them. The reason that Jolly Roger no longer inhabits Raven's Cove is because.... there's really no reason to be there anymore. After the battle of Raven's Cove, both the EITC and Roger walked away with a hefty share of the weapons. He doesn't know Ned is alive so there is nobody to turn to his side, nobody to terrorize or kill, there is nothing to be gained from keeping his forces in what he believes is a completely abandonded and otherwise useless island. There's nothing left there that interests him anymore.

The citzens of Raven's Cove definitely could have become his minions, any ghost could have. Let us consult the story of John and Constance Moses. When John was hung for a crime he didn't commit due to Cromwell's treachary, Jolly Roger claimed his soul and forced him to attack during the battle of Tortuga. Lead by the Captain Walter and the Marceline, we defeated him, weakening his grip on John's soul long enough for him to be freed from Roger's control and reunited with Constance as a ghost.

Now, Jolly Roger isn't exactly a nice person. It could have been that he just didn't turn any of the citizens to his side because he wanted them to roam the ruins of their homes for eternity, a fate worse than death. He even made poor Ben and Sadie take the slow way. He was going to kill them right upfront but when he saw that they ran the tavern, he promised them he would let them go if they beat him in a game of poker. Of course, the scoundrel stacked the deck, and he cut away a little more of their souls with every hand they lost.
What a boneheaded jerk.
Or it could be that the curse of Raven's Cove made it so that anyone who died there became a ghost, after all, look at what happened to El Patron's crew, and himself? What if the curse he put on his mutineed crew was too strong to just punish them, and instead doomd the entire island? Jolly Roger most certainly would have turned the Navy who fought him into undead skeletons, but instead they became the Rage Ghosts.

He's just not there anymore because there's nothing that interests him. As far as he know, or cares for that matter, there is nothing to be gained from a place that many choose to stay away from. I mean, you can see the smashed baricades running throughout the town, it's clear than an invasion happened.... It's when you see those that you realize: What happened to Raven's Cove is what would have happened to every other town he's hit if we failed. We HAVE to win in terms of the POTCO/TLOPO canon storyline, but losing is still a game mechanic for balance. The Cove is a reflection of our defeat, it's a glimpse into what could have, and still could be. He attacked, he destroyed everything, he walked away victorious, and countless innocents payed the price. There's nothing he wants there now, so he abandons it.
It truly is dead.

The lore of this game is broken and disjointed and not particularly fun or rewarding to read imo.

Also Bo Beck is dead, or he was at the very least skeletified and you probably ended up killing him again while you were farming those inane black pearl fetch quests.

The lore of this game is broken and disjointed and not particularly fun or rewarding to read imo.

Also Bo Beck is dead, or he was at the very least skeletified and you probably ended up killing him again while you were farming those inane black pearl fetch quests.

Gameplay and story segregation is a very common thing, especially in this game.
Jolly Roger had full on Cutscene Power the one and only time you personally confronted him, something he never used other again. (Jolly Roger was able to instantly kill and turn someone into a skeleton, he never does this during invasions. He was also able to teleport himself and his minions almost instantly. He never just straight up teleports them past our barricades during invasions.)
Also, I love the lore, but if it's not your thing then I can't really imagine why you'd be reading this, other than to just come here and tell me that gameplay mechanics (such as enemies respawning) apparently are connected to the story. That's not really the case in any game.
But hey, to each his/her own.

Plot Mystery 4: Captain Walter and "The Truth"
Captain Walter was the Guildmaster of the Marceline and a pirate who lead the charge against Jolly Roger and the EITC. He and his guildmates helped us defend the islands against invasions, sink the treasure fleets, and the efforts they made in the war became the stuff of legends.

And then?
Well, then he died.

Walter and Ezekiel Rott of the Casa De Muertos were friends at one point, they had a falling out long before Rott was serving Roger, and after The Magic (a one of a kind war frigate and flagship of the Marceline) was seen sailing off following the battle of Padres... Things fell apart. Rott had stowed away on the ship, and when he was discovered, he challenged Walter to a duel. Much later, Guild Mystic Sandra Tew of the Marceline started having visions of their fierce battle. Ruby Wynn, James Howe, and Xavier Hench, found The Magic empty, adrift at sea. They, along with countless other pirates, all confronted Rott, only to learn the terrifying truth: Walter had lost the duel and was slain by the hand of Roger's pawn.

At the time, none of us could believe it. I myself found this to be preposterous. Of all the swordsmen in the Caribbean, Walter was the finest there was. Some of us mourned, some of us were in denial. Many believed that he was still alive, captured by Jolly Roger or trapped in Davy
Jones's locker, we didn't know. Any theory we came up with mattered not when Walter's spectral form was found roaming the beaches of​
Cuba.

He barely spoke, most of what he said, we couldn't understand at the time.
"I'm so weak...."
"Find the Marceline Guild...."
"Help them uncover the truth..."

What IS the truth, I wonder? Many of us believe he was talking about the truth regarding his death, and how that battle actually played out, but others think there is a different truth to be uncovered here. As for the former, I do remember at one point that the lore mentioned something about The Casa De Muertos and Black Guard leaders were given a form of Voodoo Magic by Jolly Roger, that made them invulnerable to any blade or bullet we had. If this was still true, it means that Rott cheated, and Walter was doomed the moment they drew swords. Why would he want us to prove this true? There would be no justice, and it wouldn't bring him back. Was it because we needed a true reason to seek vengeance? Rott had never been this bold before. What if Walter discovered something far more dark and powerful than the Heart of Padres Del Fuego, and in order to avoid compromising Jolly Roger's plans, he had to be killed.

Unfortunately, we never heard or saw from what was left of Walter, and then the original game was shut down. I don't think that the current staff plans on having any roleplaying events, I actually don't think they plan on having the Marceline back at all. As far as I can tell, Dark Archive is the new Marceline. Perhaps this mysterious "truth" was never meant to be uncovered.

Plot Mystery 5: The Rage Ghosts (And Jail)

This is just a short little thing.
So, on Raven's Cove, there is a jail.
When you die, you are thrown into the jail.
Wait, doesn't the Navy usually do that? But there is no Navy?
WRONG.
According to the game's lore, the Rage Ghosts were once part of the Navy. Their ship crashed on Raven's Cove, and the survivors tried to defend the island from Jolly Roger. They were the first to die, and their spirits were tortured as they were forced to watch the town they failed to protect, and all who lived in it, be destroyed. This turned them into the restless and brutal spirits we see today.
When a Rage Ghost kills you, they're doing it to protect the town. Even if there's nothing left, they still hold on to the belief that it is their duty to protect and defend the innocent.
I'll bet you feel sorry for them now.
So when they do knock you out, THEY are the ones that throw you in jail.

With the knowledge that they're in the Navy now in mind, try to explain to be how there are female Rage Ghosts.

Plot Mystery 4: Captain Walter and "The Truth"
Captain Walter was the Guildmaster of the Marceline and a pirate who lead the charge against Jolly Roger and the EITC. He and his guildmates helped us defend the islands against invasions, sink the treasure fleets, and the efforts they made in the war became the stuff of legends.

And then?
Well, then he died.

Walter and Ezekiel Rott of the Casa De Muertos were friends at one point, they had a falling out long before Rott was serving Roger, and after The Magic (a one of a kind war frigate and flagship of the Marceline) was seen sailing off following the battle of Padres... Things fell apart. Rott had stowed away on the ship, and when he was discovered, he challenged Walter to a duel. Much later, Guild Mystic Sandra Tew of the Marceline started having visions of their fierce battle. Ruby Wynn, James Howe, and Xavier Hench, found The Magic empty, adrift at sea. They, along with countless other pirates, all confronted Rott, only to learn the terrifying truth: Walter had lost the duel and was slain by the hand of Roger's pawn.

At the time, none of us could believe it. I myself found this to be preposterous. Of all the swordsmen in the Caribbean, Walter was the finest there was. Some of us mourned, some of us were in denial. Many believed that he was still alive, captured by Jolly Roger or trapped in Davy
Jones's locker, we didn't know. Any theory we came up with mattered not when Walter's spectral form was found roaming the beaches of​
Cuba.

He barely spoke, most of what he said, we couldn't understand at the time.
"I'm so weak...."
"Find the Marceline Guild...."
"Help them uncover the truth..."

What IS the truth, I wonder? Many of us believe he was talking about the truth regarding his death, and how that battle actually played out, but others think there is a different truth to be uncovered here. As for the former, I do remember at one point that the lore mentioned something about The Casa De Muertos and Black Guard leaders were given a form of Voodoo Magic by Jolly Roger, that made them invulnerable to any blade or bullet we had. If this was still true, it means that Rott cheated, and Walter was doomed the moment they drew swords. Why would he want us to prove this true? There would be no justice, and it wouldn't bring him back. Was it because we needed a true reason to seek vengeance? Rott had never been this bold before. What if Walter discovered something far more dark and powerful than the Heart of Padres Del Fuego, and in order to avoid compromising Jolly Roger's plans, he had to be killed.

Unfortunately, we never heard or saw from what was left of Walter, and then the original game was shut down. I don't think that the current staff plans on having any roleplaying events, I actually don't think they plan on having the Marceline back at all. As far as I can tell, Dark Archive is the new Marceline. Perhaps this mysterious "truth" was never meant to be uncovered.

I believe there is a potion to make you look ghostly.

I believe there is a potion to make you look ghostly.
well, two things.
1. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
2. There actually isn't. The Phantom Spirits Potion only grants Invisibility, so your character becomes transparent, but you don't get the glow effect or the fog or anything. Ghost Form is an ability on some weapons, but Walter is dead, so he's a full on ghost. Like forever.

well, two things.
1. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
2. There actually isn't. The Phantom Spirits Potion only grants Invisibility, so your character becomes transparent, but you don't get the glow effect or the fog or anything. Ghost Form is an ability on some weapons, but Walter is dead, so he's a full on ghost. Like forever.
Well he is a Game Master, so technically that secret may not be released to the public yet, just keep on digging for them secrets!

Well true, but TLOPO devs said they will try their best to bring back a lot of the same functions and parts of POTCO as much as possible, there is a 98% chance the arc/story will be added back.
Mmm, I've already asked around, and I don't think that the GM events will be the same. There might be some, but I think the Marceline is gone.
If they were going to be the same, I would be praying to god to let me get on the staff so that I could be a part of them.
I've always wanted to be a part of the story like that.

Mmm, I've already asked around, and I don't think that the GM events will be the same. There might be some, but I think the Marceline is gone.
If they were going to be the same, I would be praying to god to let me get on the staff so that I could be a part of them.
I've always wanted to be a part of the story like that.
I want to be on the staff also, but let's hope they release staff applications because I would really enjoy it :D

I want to be on the staff also, but let's hope they release staff applications because I would really enjoy it :D
They did, search it up on the forums.
I don't think that mine will get accepted. They have a full story team already and... well, if you haven't figured it out by now just by looking at this thread, the story is the only thing I could help them with.
You might be able to join though, go and fill an application out, be sure to answer honestly!

They did, search it up on the forums.
I don't think that mine will get accepted. They have a full story team already and... well, if you haven't figured it out by now just by looking at this thread, the story is the only thing I could help them with.
You might be able to join though, go and fill an application out, be sure to answer honestly!
I can't find it lol.

Back