Request The Fourth Legendary [As well as Future Mystery Items]

Do you want to see TLOPO use "The Hint System" for future items?

• Yes.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • No.

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Not exactly.

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

Charles Warmonk

Wiki Staff
I have been apart of this community for a very long time, and through it all I've experienced the same 4 phases of emotions regarding new items [Mainly legendary] being added into the game. Excitement, Expectation, doubt, and discouragement.

The First Phase is Excitement - We all get very excited and very fixated on finding new items [Especially legendary] that TLOPO adds into the game. They purposely hypes this type of addition for the community to get excited over. [Which I 100% agree is a great idea to keep this community lively.]

Second Phase is Expectation - This is the point where excitement starts to turns into expectation. The first week or so when someone finds the first of the new item [legendary in this case]. This makes people more excited and they expect the other 3 legendary will take just as long to get as the first was found. This doesn't start to feel like a bad thing till more and more people are not finding this item(s).

A good example of this would be the 6 "New" Legendary Cursed that used to have a horrendously low [Now fixed] drop rate. This lead to the 2nd largest community dispute [Besides Trading] that this game has ever seen and should be avoided at all cost. The team did quickly address the error and hear out the community. with great effectiveness.

The current situation is an example of that, for what has now been nearly 3 months [The same length of time that passed before the 6 LC was addressed by the team]. We [The community] are starting to grow tired and in some cases frustrated over the difficulty of this mystery.

The Third Phase is Doubt - This is the current status of the community now over this fourth new legendary. and this is the biggest problem. This is when we [The community] start to doubt if the item [legendary] is possible to find at all [Or at least from the bosses we are assuming...] This although good at first mystery begins to frustrate players at a certain time frame. This leads to the most unfavorable outcome discouragement...

The Final Phase Discouragement. - This is the outcome nobody in any situation wants to see. It is the point were players have given up TRYING to look for the weapon, don't like the mystery wasting their time, and end up even some rare cases stop playing all together. So how do we avoid this?...

Before I answer, I know what someone is already typing...
"You just said it was a good idea for them to use this mystery style!"
- Yes, I do want them to use this mystery style still. It brings a lot of activity to the game.

"You just want them to tell us were it is found?" - No, I don't want us to just TELL US were it is at either. I also don't want them to just tell us what boss drops it either.

My suggestion: "The Hint System" - The hint system works perfectly to keep phases 1 and 2 active, while avoiding phases 3 and 4. How the hint system would work is as followed.

Hint System - After an item has been released, the developers will have pre-made hints made for the item they have released. If the item is NOT found within a certain period of time [I recommend 3 months for legendary] then the developers will consistently give out a hint to the community on a MONTHLY basis till that item is found.

This will not only encourage the hunt for legendary, keep the mystery system alive, but also save the us [The community] some stressful discussions over were to loot and what boss drops what.

As we can see in threads like this one. The community is asking for hints for theses items [Legendary]

Also note: This fourth legendary has been a mystery since August 14. As seen in the Update Spotlight here.

I think I speak for the whole community when I humbly ask the TLOPO team [The Crew] to incorporate "The Hint System" into future items added into the game. <3

Last edited:
Your description of the looting community’s state of mind about the last legendary is pretty apt.

I think it is time for the development team to weigh the option of giving the player base some kind of nudge in the right direction. If nobody has or wants to look for the weapon, then it adds nothing to the game.

Last edited:
I think I speak for the whole community

Better to ask the community if they are ok with having someone speak for them rather than self electing oneself.

Just saying.

I really think the hint system is a bad idea (Right up there with JSB's nerf) as i feel it defeats the purpose of finding legendary items.

That and it opens the door for abuse (Particularly with players harassing staff for the location of every legendary that hasn't been found yet and whatever legendary items that may or may not be released in the future).

Honestly I agree with Charles. Tiberias you do have a valid point as well but mods are always creative in adding new stuff. Even players themselves have great ideas. Charles stated it was August 14th these legendaries were added 3/4 have been found. Theres been 1 or 2 other threads about at least a hint of some sense. I know several people whom have grinded for this weapon and have now moved to Darkheart Neban and Remington. Just because they gave up searching at the other bosses because it seems "impossible to find".

Nope, not looking for a hint system either. Perhaps waiting until the poll results come in would be a good indicator of how many really want hints. Just because legendaries are part of the game, doesn't mean everybody who puts in the effort to loot for it is going to get one. If that were the case, they wouldn't be legendary, but commonplace.

If everybody in Arthurian times had a copy of Excalibur, it would cease to be a legendary weapon. And sometimes a weapon is legendary because it is not found.

Last edited:
@Charles Warmonk - I think you had put a lot of good thought into this which is commendable, in my opinion. (You took the time to analyze something [to which actually occurs] in lieu of caring for everyone and their ‘disappointment’).

*Avoiding (community) disappointment, I feel, is something not talked about enough publicly and on this forums! Thanks for bringing something to light which remains a (possible) preventative measure to avoid other player’s own disappointment. :thumbsup:

I think I speak for the whole community when I humbly ask the TLOPO team [The Crew] to incorporate "The Hint System" into future items added into the game.

According to the poll and multiple responses here in the comments, I think you were a bit hasty in saying that you speak for "the whole community" on this topic. You clearly don't. I chose "not exactly" because though I think in this specific instance, we do need "a nudge in the right direction", as beggar said, but orderly hints is not the way to go.

The Forsaken Shallows (in my opinion) was an excellent success. Besides the terrible drop rates, which were corrected, I thought the Forsaken Shallows expansion was perfect. We had plenty of information to go off of and just the right amount of doubt for us to have to figure it out on our own. Even still, Tlopo gave us hints.

Now, the reason I think Forsaken Shallows was done better than these new 4 legendary is because we had more information. In the past 3 months, the ONLY information we had to find these new weapons is the following:
  • Rumor has it that four new legendary weapons have surfaced. The Brethren Court has learned that these be quite powerful - wielded by some of the most fearsome and notorious individuals in the Caribbean. Will you be one of the first to find them? Only time will tell...
Thats it. However, in the Forsaken Shallows update, we got MUCH more information to work with.
  • All-new cave: Forsaken Shallows. Venture deep into Isla Tormenta and discover a new cave filled with powerful new enemies.
  • 19 new Cursed Blades (6 Legendary, 8 Famed, and 5 Rare) can now be looted on Isla Tormenta and in El Patron's Mine! It's up to you to uncover these new blades!
  • There are six new bosses in Forsaken Shallows and Cursed Caverns. These high ranking members of Davy Jones' crew are not to be trifled with!
  • Cicatriz, a deadly ghost boss, can now be found at the Northern Idol in El Patron's Mine alongside a posse of her men.
In addition, we got a hint 10 days later:
  • If ye be looking to find new blades, keep to the six. Except if they're a pair, for then they'd have to share.
In the same update, the changed the drops rates (a change which still wasn't great enough for people to find them but at least they tried)
  • Increased the rate at which the new legendary cursed blades will drop as per community feedback. Please note that they will still be very hard to obtain, just not impossibly hard. This does NOT affect global loot rates.

Here's how I think TLOPO should release boss legendaries from now on:

Tell us EACH boss but not the legendary that it drops. This way, people don't feel like they're wasting their time at a boss that may or may not even drop the legendary. By telling us which boss to loot, it wont take weeks to find them, people still have the thrill of possibly being the first to find it and overall, I think this would create a more fun environment. I don't like the mystery. And if you do, TLOPO could hint each boss instead of directly pointing out each one.

Feel free to disagree but thats my feedback as a beta tester. Fair winds and good loot'n!

Better to ask the community if they are ok with having someone speak for them rather than self electing oneself.
According to the poll and multiple responses here in the comments, I think you were a bit hasty in saying that you speak for "the whole community" on this topic.
Maybe I was a bit to broad with my statement I can agree. - I should have said [I am speaking for what I BELIEVE is the majority.] I am just trying to explain a problem I see within the community and find a way to address it. As Shamus put it perfect,

@Charles Warmonk - I think you had put a lot of good thought into this which is commendable, in my opinion. (You took the time to analyze something [to which actually occurs] in lieu of caring for everyone and their ‘disappointment’).

*Avoiding (community) disappointment, I feel, is something not talked about enough publicly and on this forums! Thanks for bringing something to light which remains a (possible) preventative measure to avoid other player’s own disappointment. :thumbsup:

I am not speaking for myself, I personally don't care about the fourth legendary at all. Nor did I care about the 6 legendary cursed when they were released. [You can ask any of my closest friends.] What I see as the problem is the mindset of A LOT of players who've put in countless hours for finding this legendary and getting discouraged and at times upset when it takes nearly 3 months.

No, I am not saying the community gets whatever it ask for.

No, I am not saying it has to be "The Hint System" that fixes the problem.

and No, I am not speaking for EVERYONE when I say this. I am speaking for what I believe is a problem in the community that TLOPO team should be aware of as well as the community ITSELF.

Seeing pirates bicker over this seemingly inevitable cycle is quite discouraging and not healthy for the community, and even some of my long time friends have falling victim to this negative mindset. I am not demanding action, I am not pushing the hint system, I am trying to be as open as possible to look for a community OR developer solution from any party to help address this [Mystery Item] problem.

Last edited:
I have been apart of this community for a very long time, and through it all I've experienced the same 4 phases of emotions regarding new items [Mainly legendary] being added into the game. Excitement, Expectation, doubt, and discouragement.

The First Phase is Excitement - We all get very excited and very fixated on finding new items [Especially legendary] that TLOPO adds into the game. They purposely hypes this type of addition for the community to get excited over. [Which I 100% agree is a great idea to keep this community lively.]

Second Phase is Expectation - This is the point where excitement starts to turns into expectation. The first week or so when someone finds the first of the new item [legendary in this case]. This makes people more excited and they expect the other 3 legendary will take just as long to get as the first was found. This doesn't start to feel like a bad thing till more and more people are not finding this item(s).

A good example of this would be the 6 "New" Legendary Cursed that used to have a horrendously low [Now fixed] drop rate. This lead to the 2nd largest community dispute [Besides Trading] that this game has ever seen and should be avoided at all cost. The team did quickly address the error and hear out the community. with great effectiveness.

The current situation is an example of that, for what has now been nearly 3 months [The same length of time that passed before the 6 LC was addressed by the team]. We [The community] are starting to grow tired and in some cases frustrated over the difficulty of this mystery.

The Third Phase is Doubt - This is the current status of the community now over this forth new legendary. and this is the biggest problem. This is when we [The community] start to doubt if the item [legendary] is possible to find at all [Or at least from the bosses we are assuming...] This although good at first mystery begins to frustrate players at a certain time frame. This leads to the most unfavorable outcome discouragement...

The Final Phase Discouragement. - This is the outcome nobody in any situation wants to see. It is the point were players have given up TRYING to look for the weapon, don't like the mystery wasting their time, and end up even some rare cases stop playing all together. So how do we avoid this?...

Before I answer, I know what someone is already typing...
"You just said it was a good idea for them to use this mystery style!"
- Yes, I do want them to use this mystery style still. It brings a lot of activity to the game.

"You just want them to tell us were it is found?" - No, I don't want us to just TELL US were it is at either. I also don't want them to just tell us what boss drops it either.

My suggestion: "The Hint System" - The hint system works perfectly to keep phases 1 and 2 active, while avoiding phases 3 and 4. How the hint system would work is as followed.

Hint System - After an item has been released, the developers will have pre-made hints made for the item they have released. If the item is NOT found within a certain period of time [I recommend 3 months for legendary] then the developers will consistently give out a hint to the community on a MONTHLY basis till that item is found.

This will not only encourage the hunt for legendary, keep the mystery system alive, but also save the us [The community] some stressful discussions over were to loot and what boss drops what.

As we can see in threads like this one. The community is asking for hints for theses items [Legendary]

Also note: This forth legendary has been a mystery since August 14. As seen in the Update Spotlight here.

I think I speak for the whole community when I humbly ask the TLOPO team [The Crew] to incorporate "The Hint System" into future items added into the game. <3

While I do agree to the adherent issue behind the state of this final Legendary weapon, I wholeheartedly do not agree that the way taken as you were describing is the way to go. As of right now, we are left with an "incognito" weapon if you will, while I do feel like they could be vastly more specific as to the weapon's location/s [Due marginally in part to community members such as yourself who took educated guesses, and were correct more times than not.], but it also begs the question of how much a mystery could they truly make weapons with any sort of hinting as to their drop locations?

There is no good way to know as of right now, but I do feel as if this might also be a misdirection of the community to certain topics. The team most likely has hinted us with a plethora of things, if not many, a couple at least.

Just saying.

I really think the hint system is a bad idea (Right up there with JSB's nerf) as i feel it defeats the purpose of finding legendary items.

That and it opens the door for abuse (Particularly with players harassing staff for the location of every legendary that hasn't been found yet and whatever legendary items that may or may not be released in the future).
@ArabellaDrummond 100% agree. Technically the dev's nor the staff owe beta testers anything, and thankfully they don't dictate or force us into some sort of playing styles or regime. However, they want to improve the game and player sentiment and well being is probably an important parameter of game development. So, the team can't really ignore player sentiment input (NOT player mechanics or game play), but the personal feelings of this project. To that end, the dev's announce events and items to be introduced at times.

I believe the first announcement, the prose and storytelling style of it is all that should be put out and needed. The rest is for us beta testers to figure out and explore. And more importantly, discuss these events with other beta testers to for a game world side of it. As beta testers, we are the users and future customers of the game and our opinions are valued as such.

I didn't see anywhere in the dev's published work flow about keeping every single beta tester on board at all costs.

Personally, I don't need more hints. Just smoother proper working game play. And I respect any beta tester concerned and caring enough to post polls about what they think within the realm of the game proper and our reasons for being here.

Honestly I agree with Charles. Tiberias you do have a valid point as well but mods are always creative in adding new stuff. Even players themselves have great ideas. Charles stated it was August 14th these legendaries were added 3/4 have been found. Theres been 1 or 2 other threads about at least a hint of some sense. I know several people whom have grinded for this weapon and have now moved to Darkheart Neban and Remington. Just because they gave up searching at the other bosses because it seems "impossible to find".
I see your point, but really, who actually decides game parameters. Who decides when long enough is long enough? Yes, this input helps mold the answers to these questions and perhaps gives a natural solution. But with a question as spacious as 'isn't it long enough', may never have an answer or time limit because it's such a personal experience. This poll is about pure game play on a personal level, unlike enemies freezing or taking a long time to log in.

Am I being clear about this? Asking for more or less a personal goal to be game wide may not be in the best interest of the whole community?

According to the poll and multiple responses here in the comments, I think you were a bit hasty in saying that you speak for "the whole community" on this topic. You clearly don't. I chose "not exactly" because though I think in this specific instance, we do need "a nudge in the right direction", as beggar said, but orderly hints is not the way to go.

The Forsaken Shallows (in my opinion) was an excellent success. Besides the terrible drop rates, which were corrected, I thought the Forsaken Shallows expansion was perfect. We had plenty of information to go off of and just the right amount of doubt for us to have to figure it out on our own. Even still, Tlopo gave us hints.

Now, the reason I think Forsaken Shallows was done better than these new 4 legendary is because we had more information. In the past 3 months, the ONLY information we had to find these new weapons is the following:
  • Rumor has it that four new legendary weapons have surfaced. The Brethren Court has learned that these be quite powerful - wielded by some of the most fearsome and notorious individuals in the Caribbean. Will you be one of the first to find them? Only time will tell...
Thats it. However, in the Forsaken Shallows update, we got MUCH more information to work with.
  • All-new cave: Forsaken Shallows. Venture deep into Isla Tormenta and discover a new cave filled with powerful new enemies.
  • 19 new Cursed Blades (6 Legendary, 8 Famed, and 5 Rare) can now be looted on Isla Tormenta and in El Patron's Mine! It's up to you to uncover these new blades!
  • There are six new bosses in Forsaken Shallows and Cursed Caverns. These high ranking members of Davy Jones' crew are not to be trifled with!
  • Cicatriz, a deadly ghost boss, can now be found at the Northern Idol in El Patron's Mine alongside a posse of her men.
In addition, we got a hint 10 days later:
  • If ye be looking to find new blades, keep to the six. Except if they're a pair, for then they'd have to share.
In the same update, the changed the drops rates (a change which still wasn't great enough for people to find them but at least they tried)
  • Increased the rate at which the new legendary cursed blades will drop as per community feedback. Please note that they will still be very hard to obtain, just not impossibly hard. This does NOT affect global loot rates.

Here's how I think TLOPO should release boss legendaries from now on:

Tell us EACH boss but not the legendary that it drops. This way, people don't feel like they're wasting their time at a boss that may or may not even drop the legendary. By telling us which boss to loot, it wont take weeks to find them, people still have the thrill of possibly being the first to find it and overall, I think this would create a more fun environment. I don't like the mystery. And if you do, TLOPO could hint each boss instead of directly pointing out each one.

Feel free to disagree but thats my feedback as a beta tester. Fair winds and good loot'n!

@Fortune Burnrose
"Tell us EACH boss but not the legendary that it drops. This way, people don't feel like they're wasting their time at a boss that may or may not even drop the legendary."

I don't agree, you're going right back to controlled hints. Why would I want to know which boss does what? If there's 15 new bosses and they tell us which 5 drops, you think anyone would be battling and beta testing the other 10? That's counter productive to why we are here. I still don't believe the dev's need to make it easy for beta testers. If that is the case, why not give out all the invincible, all the weapon and boss codes to beta testers and let us clip all over the maps like the devs can. We are not dev's, we are the end users here to stress test everything in the game.

I didn't pay a fee, the devs don't owe me any favors. Our personal opinions are important, but our personal opinions I don't think set game rules and game play.

gl

While I do agree to the adherent issue behind the state of this final Legendary weapon, I wholeheartedly do not agree that the way taken as you were describing is the way to go. As of right now, we are left with an "incognito" weapon if you will, while I do feel like they could be vastly more specific as to the weapon's location/s [Due marginally in part to community members such as yourself who took educated guesses, and were correct more times than not.], but it also begs the question of how much a mystery could they truly make weapons with any sort of hinting as to their drop locations?

There is no good way to know as of right now, but I do feel as if this might also be a misdirection of the community to certain topics. The team most likely has hinted us with a plethora of things, if not many, a couple at least.
Agree, the team pretty much put us in the correct part of the Caribbean. How much more do we need?

I see your point, but really, who actually decides game parameters. Who decides when long enough is long enough? Yes, this input helps mold the answers to these questions and perhaps gives a natural solution. But with a question as spacious as 'isn't it long enough', may never have an answer or time limit because it's such a personal experience. This poll is about pure game play on a personal level, unlike enemies freezing or taking a long time to log in.

Am I being clear about this? Asking for more or less a personal goal to be game wide may not be in the best interest of the whole community?
This thread was written with a public poll attached to it. He could have very well written the OP without one, right? I’m not seeing the problem here (shrugs).

Part of invoking change is to, in-turn, offer too solutions to a problem. *Great is the pirate, I see, whom makes a point to obtain the advice and direct input of others!

This thread was written with a public poll attached to it. He could have very well written the OP without one, right? I’m not seeing the problem here (shrugs).

Part of invoking change is to, in-turn, offer too solutions to a problem. *Great is the pirate, I see, whom makes a point to obtain the advice and direct input of others!
I'm not looking at this OP as the target. I'm looking at the content of the post. I appreciate when someone puts out a thread, even when it could be directed at them as will happen in most cases. When one has been involved as long in this project as Charles has, it's easy to think everyone could be as like minded and take it for granted. I don't see a problem here either.

@Fortune Burnrose
"Tell us EACH boss but not the legendary that it drops. This way, people don't feel like they're wasting their time at a boss that may or may not even drop the legendary."

I don't agree, you're going right back to controlled hints. Why would I want to know which boss does what? If there's 15 new bosses and they tell us which 5 drops, you think anyone would be battling and beta testing the other 10? That's counter productive to why we are here. I still don't believe the dev's need to make it easy for beta testers. If that is the case, why not give out all the invincible, all the weapon and boss codes to beta testers and let us clip all over the maps like the devs can. We are not dev's, we are the end users here to stress test everything in the game.

I didn't pay a fee, the devs don't owe me any favors. Our personal opinions are important, but our personal opinions I don't think set game rules and game play.

gl

The way I see it, eventually all the legendaries will be found. And if people are enjoying knowing where they are more than the mystery, then why have the mystery in the first place. Obviously its not that black and white. I know a lot of people do enjoy the mystery but I personally would rather wait for someone else to discover it so that I don't have to waste any of my time. I know my opinion is a minority I just want to make clear both sides of the spectrum if that makes any sense.

I’m sorry, what?

You need to explain how X causes Y here. People still loot for Jack Sparrow’s Blade even though it’s no longer decidedly better than every other sword in the game. What is the purpose of looting legendary weapons, according to you, exactly? Is it to just give up on finding them and ignore their existence, as is being done for the fourth legendary right now?

And how does a hint open the door for developer harassment? Were any developers harassed when they hinted at the location of the six new legendary cursed blades? My recollection is that the action was met with praise and enthusiasm. Are you suggesting that modestly-worded posts like this one constitute harassment?

Last edited:

I agree with you. This poll isn't about beta testing. Its about getting stuff. If the game wasn't freezing and disconnecting so much I would understand people thinking its a finished thing and playing it just for fun, but there is serious work to do to get this game out of beta which I think should be everyone's goal.

Back