Request The Fourth Legendary [As well as Future Mystery Items]

Do you want to see TLOPO use "The Hint System" for future items?

• Yes.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • No.

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Not exactly.

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters
The lottery is comparable to fighting a boss that you know has a chance of dropping a legendary weapon. My issue has never been the daunting probability of looting the weapon - it's that we have no way of determining if we're looting the correct enemy. Someone who plays the lottery understands that their odds are vanishingly small, but they're electing to take that risk nevertheless.

A more analogous scenario to the situation with the unfound fourth legendary would be if there were multiple lotteries, but only one of them had any probability of success at all. How would you suss out which are decoys and which is the real thing? You couldn't without expending more money than anyone can reasonably expect to have. And in the context of sussing out which is the correct boss, one would have to expend more time than anyone can reasonably expect to have.

You don't seem to understand the difference between finding a legendary over a period of time amounting to weeks or months or more and finding it on any particular looting effort on a given day.

Since you don't know which boss will drop the item, anyone searching for it will randomly choose different bosses over time to try to get it from.
There is still a probability you will guess right or wrong when you choose which boss to loot and then there is the probability that said boss will drop it. The combined probability on any given looting run is the probability you choose the right boss times the probability that the boss will drop the item. You are referring to something called conditional probability. Given I choose the wrong boss (which is not a given), the probability is zero, but since there is a chance you choose the right boss on any given looting effort, the probability of finding the item on is non-zero when you consider your random choices of who to loot from over time. I am comparing the chance of finding a particular item over a long period of time to the chance of winning the lottery over a long period of time. Both very low probability events that people pursue anyway. Even if they have no realistic chance of success, they do it anyway and some very few actually win. A reasonable person wouldn't buy a lottery ticket given the odds, its a tax on people who cant do math, but millions do it anyway.

That is the problem with your argument. You seem to be implying that the probability of finding the item over your entire search period of months is zero. Patently false, just like your very inappropriate statements about me, but at least I understand the mathematics of probability.

Despite odds, the expedinture of time, probability, mathematics, and the like...perhaps three things should be understood:
  1. This is still BETA. As such, assistance towards “looting” fixes in-game take higher priority. (Waiting until the game goes live compliments this issue with better focus)
  2. People do gain enjoyment/sheer JOY out of taking risk because for some of these people the risk itself remains just as enjoyable as the thought in winning/looting a prize or weapon not commonly gained
  3. As someone in this thread questioned, pre-determined “timelines” implemented by the devs could remain a solution to the problem which pleases both sides of the argument (creating a level of compromise). *Such timelines could further interest also towards the game itself making it a win-win for all, including TLOPO devs
You mates think acquiring a level 50 pirate gets boring? :hypno: Wait until the location is explicitly known about a weapon drop and you are ironically in the same boat! *Not all mysteries in Life are known; not all interesting things in Life are unknown. So, if you KILL a healthy balance between the two...the next thing you know...you’ll end up a mastered level 50 pirate across the table from Scary Mary’s (ugly) step-sister.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't seem to understand the difference between finding a legendary over a period of time amounting to weeks or months or more and finding it on any particular looting effort on a given day.

Since you don't know which boss will drop the item, anyone searching for it will randomly choose different bosses over time to try to get it from.
There is still a probability you will guess right or wrong when you choose which boss to loot and then there is the probability that said boss will drop it. The combined probability on any given looting run is the probability you choose the right boss times the probability that the boss will drop the item. You are referring to something called conditional probability. Given I choose the wrong boss (which is not a given), the probability is zero, but since there is a chance you choose the right boss on any given looting effort, the probability of finding the item on is non-zero when you consider your random choices of who to loot from over time. I am comparing the chance of finding a particular item over a long period of time to the chance of winning the lottery over a long period of time. Both very low probability events that people pursue anyway. Even if they have no realistic chance of success, they do it anyway and some very few actually win. A reasonable person wouldn't buy a lottery ticket given the odds, its a tax on people who cant do math, but millions do it anyway.

That is the problem with your argument. You seem to be implying that the probability of finding the item over your entire search period of months is zero. Patently false, just like your very inappropriate statements about me, but at least I understand the mathematics of probability.
I'd really prefer that you don't patronize me by trying to school me on what probability is as if I've never taken an introductory-level stats class before. You seem pretty determined to confirm my impression of your character for someone who thought that comment was so inappropriate.

Yes, it's occured to me that someone can technically give themselves a pathetically small chance at finding the legendary by rotating between the bosses. However, there is a difference between what is possible and what we can reasonably expect someone to accomplish. Since my first comment, my point has always been that the current dynamic surrounding the fourth legendary renders finding it an unachievable goal - i.e., not one that someone could expect to accomplish with any amount of effort.

A player with level 30 dagger and sword has a .028% chance of finding a new legendary weapon per loot skull chest dropped from a legendary-bearing boss. These odds are nearly prohibitively low to all players except the extremely lucky and the extremely determined. This is a daunting probability, but even so, players who loot at bosses for months on end can still reasonably expect to find their legendaries after a large amount of time. This is not the case for this unknown fourth legendary.

This is the same reason I argued that boss container drop rates should be buffed in the first place - it would have taken years for one to give themselves favorable odds of finding one of the new legendary cursed blades under those conditions. Like with the lottery, there was never a point where the decision to spend time at that boss had an optimal risk-to-benefit ratio.

This is the same situation we're in now. Who in their right mind is going to reduce their odds of finding a legendary by a factor of four or five by rotating between all of the legendary's possible locations - each with their own container drop rates in accordance with the boss's level - when they could just spend their time at a boss whose skull chests are guaranteed to have at the very least a chance at dropping something they want?

I will concede that a small number of players do choose to roam between bosses despite the screaming irrationality of doing so, but as one of many beta testers, it's my prerogative to explain what I think is fun and what I do not think is fun. The pointlessness and futility of searching for the fourth legendary is not fun.

Last edited:
Who would play such a way as to go to one boss for weeks? As a all around pirate, that sounds incredibly boring. Me? I rotate a bunch of them.And I have been working blanco, but not for hours on end. Maybe an hour or two, then I run around killing other stuff, go sailing, whatever.
This is yet another post that gives me the impression that we are entitled to gifts and items.
I do. But you're right, its more like months usually.
That last line really just doesn't fit with anything you said above it. This is completely different for someone who grinds 5-6 hours at a time maybe multiple times a day every day for months compared to someone who drops by stays for an hour and starts chasing butterflies away from the boss. It may seem like you think people are feeling entitled because you don't see the work they put it... because you don't do it that way. But please, don't call someone entitled if they play the game different than you ever have.

I'd really prefer that you don't patronize me by trying to school me on what probability is as if I've never taken an introductory-level stats class before. You seem pretty determined to confirm my impression of your character for someone who thought that comment was so inappropriate.

I wonder how you think your subjective observations of my character pertain to the argument at hand?
I could care less what you think of me personally. It has NOTHING to do with the discussion. Your comments are inappropriate because they are irrelevant.

I will explain the fundamentals of probability, quantum physics or any subject I like on these forums since they are designed to help people understand things better. If a neutral discussion of mathematics rubs you the wrong way then I am pretty sure this is your own problem and you will have to figure out some form of self management to deal with it that doesn't involve attacking people's character on the forum:pirate duel:.

Either way, my point stands. People will continue to hunt the 4th legendary without the need for hints as my observations and examples about human nature serve to confirm.

...rubs you the wrong way then I am pretty sure this is your own problem and you will have to figure out some form of self management to deal with it...
...as my observations and examples about human nature serve to confirm.
We can certainly appreciate the level of conflict resolution shown here (between you two) and it serves you both well/it is to your credit to hash things out because truthfully...no good comes out of resolving differences of opinion by simply “ignoring” someone, correct? :confused:

As a interested reader to this particular thread and topic-of discussion, I certainly appreciate everyone’s input because in essence the thoughts and ideas shared here give us each something different to think about to which otherwise WE would have not contemplated. :)

I couldn't disagree more. For me nothing is resolved here. I guess name calling qualifies as conflict resolution in your book. Smh
Nope. Just communication. Hence, reason behind this thread’s purpose; to gauge others opinions about the topic-of-discussion.

It’s because of how difficult it is to verify that you’ve solved the mystery. If I correctly guess that Devil Root has the legendary, my next step is to kill that boss tens of thousands of times. And even then, I cannot ever be certain that my guess was accurate. As I’m sure you know, it’s possible to loot a boss for months and never find its exclusive legendary.
And that's why I don't put all my bosses in one grave. We see our game roles differently. I suppose a hard core looter can indeed add data about looting and boss entanglement and all that goes into that enterprise, however I choose a more round worldly all encompassing want to experience all that I can job description.

Well, except for pvp.

It's not that you're wrong, there really may not be any wrongs in beta testing, but pounding one guy in one location is just too tedious and narrow for me.

I may not be the brightest pirate on the poopdeck, but pirates got to have fun, even while working a beta. But I don't think it's the dev's job to make sure we have unbridled fun while beta testing. That would hopefully come on full release.

I stand with my contention we don't need more hints. Actually, maybe more communication about why things are and what to expect as far as game function when they do things.
Good luck with the looting.

Giving a hint would ruin the sanctity of looting. We can’t have that. Ever. The addition of trading would ruin looting, this would too, right @Charles Warmonk?

The true method is to continue to sacrifice your life to the loot grind until you get the legendary.
Absolutely, one needs to quit their job, sell the mother-in-law for bandwidth and take ludes to stay awake 36 hours straight to loot one boss.

Eric said I was simply wrong. I've avoided talking to you since you strike me as irritable and irrational.

The lottery is comparable to fighting a boss that you know has a chance of dropping a legendary weapon. My issue has never been the daunting probability of looting the weapon - it's that we have no way of determining if we're looting the correct enemy. Someone who plays the lottery understands that their odds are vanishingly small, but they're electing to take that risk nevertheless.

A more analogous scenario to the situation with the unfound fourth legendary would be if there were multiple lotteries, but only one of them had any probability of success at all. How would you suss out which are decoys and which is the real thing? You couldn't without expending more money than anyone can reasonably expect to have. And in the context of sussing out which is the correct boss, one would have to expend more time than anyone can reasonably expect to have.

I think that's a duplication of the same point. With a lottery you have no way of determining which number is correct, thus, with tlopo we have no way of determining which boss drops what. It appears to be the same thing to me. But also, we agree to commit whatever time we can to the tlopo project, be it 16 minutes or 16 hours. It is what we chose to do.
Asking for hints strikes me as a way to shorten ones work. We're here to see what breaks, not how fast we can do things or how easily.
The devs want real beta testing? Open an island and don't say a word about it. It would force everyone to go over every inch of it and discover things they never would have bothered to before if focused on one single item.

GL

I do. But you're right, its more like months usually.
That last line really just doesn't fit with anything you said above it. This is completely different for someone who grinds 5-6 hours at a time maybe multiple times a day every day for months compared to someone who drops by stays for an hour and starts chasing butterflies away from the boss. It may seem like you think people are feeling entitled because you don't see the work they put it... because you don't do it that way. But please, don't call someone entitled if they play the game different than you ever have.
Nate, I've asked for game mechanics to be worked on or changed such as single cannon control on ships, loot drops that feel balanced to levels and visual things for play-ability. I don't believe I've asked the devs to make things easier, or to speed up my personal agendas. You all can play anyway you want, as long as it doesn't impact other players and myself.

Peoples input of all things are valuable and the forums are also for beta testers to discuss the pros and cons of this input and probably work as a first line filter for the staff/devs as well. I try hard not to include the person posting their opinions. It's not an easy thing to do.

Giving explicit hints could potentially dilute other experiences and testing that would have been found with the journey. Just grinding for an item as an end in one place is black and white while missing the full color of tlopo.

I'm sorry I see it this way, but not too sorry.

GL

Eric said I was simply wrong. I've avoided talking to you since you strike me as irritable and irrational.

Of course, that is the nature of lotteries. You are expected to loose and almost everyone that plays does loose. Consider that in this case looting in only one spot is not the best strategy since there is a high chance that you will have no chance of success doing so. If you loot in a variety of places your chances are increased. If there were 4 lotteries and only one was Powerball and you wanted to win Powerball but didn't know which tickets to buy because the prize for each was not advised wouldn't you buy some of each so that you at least guarantee some chance of success? It's a game and I'm enjoying it very much. I see this as a challenge for a single item and as such has little to do with the game in a general sense. You should see that there are people besides me who are enjoying how this is playing out.

Back